• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Louie Season 4 |OT| He's finally back, Mondays on FX [S5 premieres Apr 9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

I loved the second episode. I wonder if her having problems like that will be a continuing plot line or if that's the end of it. At that age, not knowing the difference between dreaming and being awake is probably a really bad sign (I'm not a doctor).

that's right Louis, give your daughter the best dick

Right? Most people would probably give them a cut rate, bargain ass, value dick they found at some flea market.

The Hermit

So did the fat lady blowed me away

I was with my mouth open during the whole speech of her. Jesus

Its amazing how close home Louie gets... I mean its like he is in my fucking mind

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Vanessa episode is amazing. It's the perfect complement to the Miami episode where he can't get over himself and ruins a possible friendship with his stupid anxieties.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I haven't watched this show since season one, but I just watched the end of "So Did the Fat Lady" and she said fuck... uncensored?

Has this happened on FX before?

Holy crap.

When Louie gets nominated for awards next year, it'll surely be for tonight's "So did the Fat Lady" episode. I was completely gobsmacked. Louie often mixes in doses of humor with uncomfortable truths about life, and tonight's episode was perhaps the most lopsided balance of that dichotomy. The sheer artistry and honesty of that scene, and if you watched it you know which one, left me in tears. Bravo Louis.

If the rest of the season contains even greater gems, we are in for something truly unforgettable.

Empty

episode three was incredibly good. those are the kind of louie episodes i like the most and the bit about status and insecurity wrt how men act towards fat people really struck home. the big monologue could be seen as a bit preachy but i felt the writing really sold it as a human moment and it was an earned payoff to vanessa bending over backwards up to that point just to get louie to show a tiny bit back.

also it has me imagining an alternate universe version of hbo's girls with vanessa as the lead that's actually an amazing show.

lunchtoast

Watched episode 3 this morning. That long shot at the end was great. I wonder how detailed the setup was or if they just kept it loose. I also liked all the fit runners in the background.

darkrabbi

Neo Member
I love this show and Louis in general but I think he missed the mark with the fat girl speech.

On behalf of all the fat girls, I'm making you represent all the guys - Why do you hate us so much?

What is it about the basics of human happiness you know, feeling attractive, feeling loved, having guys chase after us that's just not in the cards for us. Nope, not for us.

How is that fair? And why am I supposed to just accept it?

To me this came across as incredibly whiny and made the character unlikeable. Now if it this was coming from someone that was hideously ugly or was born with a deformity on their face that's one thing, but a fat girl? You can change that, it's not something you're born with and forced to live with. I cannot for the life of me find any empathy for the "struggle" of fat people.

That said, I love the way it was shot, really cool stuff.

To me this came across as incredibly whiny and made the character unlikeable. Now if it this was coming from someone that was hideously ugly or was born with a deformity on their face that's one thing, but a fat girl? You can change that, it's not something you're born with and forced to live with. I cannot for the life of me find any empathy for the "struggle" of fat people.

I suggest educating yourself on the topic a bit more. I have myself over the past year or so, and some of the preconceptions I had about the subject ended up being wrong and I've become a lot more understanding and empathetic as a result. That knowledge, I think, helped me appreciate this episode - along with the long take at the end - a lot more than I would have.

Sarah Baker did a great job.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I loved the second episode. I wonder if her having problems like that will be a continuing plot line or if that's the end of it. At that age, not knowing the difference between dreaming and being awake is probably a really bad sign (I'm not a doctor).
It's a four episode storyline.

Odrion

Banned
The first episode this season was extremely disappointing but thankfully the rest of these episodes are great. The fat lady episode is right up there the other legendary episodes.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So Did the Fat Lady was incredible. I didn't even notice that "fuck" was uncensored until I saw you guys mention it though lol. Curious as to what he plans to do for the next 5 parts of Elevator.

Between this and True Detective, it's been one hell of a year for long-takes on television.

So Did The Fat Lady was incredible. Easily, easily one of the top 5 Louie episodes ever. It was great even before the monologue, but then... wow.

And I also thought it was very telling that the "fuck" in that speech wasn't censored, but the "fuck" in the next episode was. Censor it when it's for laughs, leave it when it's got real meaning.

Salsa

I liked these last two a lot more than the first two. the season opener was really weak IMO and it had me worried, but So Did the Fat Lady was top notch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Between this and True Detective, it's been one hell of a year for long-takes on television.

So Did The Fat Lady was incredible. Easily, easily one of the top 5 Louie episodes ever. It was great even before the monologue, but then... wow.

And I also thought it was very telling that the "fuck" in that speech wasn't censored, but the "fuck" in the next episode was. Censor it when it's for laughs, leave it when it's got real meaning.

Wow, I didn't even notice that the last scene was a long take. I was just enraptured with the speech.

Helmholtz

Latest two episodes were quite strong. This show can be hard for me to watch sometimes though. The dramatic situations that pop up can be scarily realistic and sort of cringe worthy (in a good way).
I do have to agree with one of the above posters that the lady's speech was almost a bit much. I like that it pointed out the double standard with fat people. But for a large number of those people it is possible to lose weight via diet/lifestyle changes. Not easy, but possible a lot of the time. I thought most of the speech was well done though.

Latest two episodes were quite strong. This show can be hard for me to watch sometimes though. The dramatic situations that pop up can be scarily realistic and cringe worthy (in a good way).

Yeah, everybody's talking about the monologue scene but I don't think people are giving enough attention to the subway segment of Elevator. Louie's reaction felt very real, I was a bit shaken up by the end of it.

rCIZZLE

Amazing set of episodes. His kids are maybe the best young actors I've ever seen. That whole first half of Ep 4 was just perfect.

Helmholtz

Yeah, everybody's talking about the monologue scene but I don't think people are giving enough attention to the subway segment of Elevator. Louie's reaction felt very real, I was a bit shaken up by the end of it.
It's certainly interesting that a show that can be very surreal at times can also portray situations in the most realistic way imaginable.
Sweet little Jimmy Norton sleeking in and just going "yuck" in the shadows was my favorite part.
Yeah that was perfect haha.

The fat long take at the end of episode 3 was amazing. Loved the floating camera and how they didn't really worry about fancy framing, but just let it bob and weave around both of em as the moment played out.

And the subway scene was great as well.

This show is ridiculous.

I gotta be honest... I can't even conceive of partaking in a Bang Bang. I mean, I love eating sometimes, but if I stuffed myself like a glutton at the first restaurant... there is no way I'd have any digestive desire remaining to go to a second place for even more food, especially if I was having trouble walking out.

So yeah, that's the most unrealistic aspect of the show for me.

Sanjuro

I gotta be honest... I can't even conceive of partaking in a Bang Bang. I mean, I love eating sometimes, but if I stuffed myself like a glutton at the first restaurant... there is no way I'd have any digestive desire remaining to go to a second place for even more food, especially if I was having trouble walking out.

So yeah, that's the most unrealistic aspect of the show for me.

I've done this on countless occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom