• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

UrbanRats

Also, i preordered the game and, i can't seem to find this RIPPER thing.
Not that i care that much, but i'm still curious, do i get it later or what?

EDIT: Oh ok so it's a separate key?

Pearson

Banned
I feel like I'd really like to try this game.. but not play the whole thing.

I may get it way down the line on a discount.

RK9039

Also, i preordered the game and, i can't seem to find this RIPPER thing.
Not that i care that much, but i'm still curious, do i get it later or what?

EDIT: Oh ok so it's a separate key?

Yeah I think it's a separate key, GMG gave me two. I'm going to activate it later.

Ledhead

Went out last night. Came home late and thought about going to bed because of work the next day, but said fuck it and played some Mad Max. I kept telling myself "one more camp, one more scrap site" and played waaaaay too late. Tired as hell today, but damn is this game ever fun

bosseye

Still love this, but the lack of a proper jump/climb function is a bit annoying. I was doing the mini wasteland mission
to get the first archangel (Shovelface body), Shovelface
is in a tiny camp by a big overhanging rock, area stats say 2 scrap and 1 crew part available. I've got the scrap no issue; I can see the crew part up on a ledge, but I can't see anyway to get to it. There is a chest high block in the way, then a climbable ladder, so presumably you are able to get up there somehow, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Can't climb the chest high block, can't park the Opus and climb on that etc etc. I've just been bumping into obviously climbable stuff which is annoying me.

Its not even an important pick up, it just grates on my collect everything OCD.

eshwaaz

Does anyone know how to trigger Fury Finishers? Max seems to just do them randomly while I'm in Fury mode.

Also, what constitutes a Perfect Parry?

Loving this game. Just pure, brutal fun.

Does anyone know how to trigger Fury Finishers? Max seems to just do them randomly while I'm in Fury mode.

Also, what constitutes a Perfect Parry?

Loving this game. Just pure, brutal fun.

I'm still getting a feel for the combat, but I think to get the perfect parry, you just need to wait until the last minute to press the button. You'll see the circle getting smaller around the button prompt for the counter. I've just been waiting until the circle is the smallest. Someone might wanna correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still getting a feel for the combat, but I think to get the perfect parry, you just need to wait until the last minute to press the button. You'll see the circle getting smaller around the button prompt for the counter. I've just been waiting until the circle is the smallest. Someone might wanna correct me if I'm wrong.
That is the impression I got from watching a video of someone playing.
I don't have the game to test it though =[

Mohonky

It actually gets a green highlight if you watch the outside closely. Its the Yellow Y button (Xbox controller for me) and it turns green around that yellow button right when its on perfect.

Lima

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but is there a way to change your Opus Magnum chassis? I chose the Shovelface and it looks kinda boring. I don't want to start over.

Did someone on the Xbox One have the possibility to download the additional DLC when buying the Digital version...?

It just doesn't seem to work or download for me...every time i check it says bundle only while i am quite sure it should be included with the digital version...:/

Only included with pre order.

Mohonky

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but is there a way to change your Opus Magnum chassis? I chose the Shovelface and it looks kinda boring. I don't want to start over.

You mean body? You'll collect the others as you go through the game, they'll be at some of the scavenging points or whatever they are called.

Lima

You mean body? You'll collect the others as you go through the game, they'll be at some of the scavenging points or whatever they are called.

Yeah the body. Well that is good to know. I just hit Jeet's Stronghold. When do these become available?

Beaten! I'm not a completionist though. It took me 26 hours with

-First area 100% completed
-Second area completed until 1 influence (or whatever it's called)
-Third area completed until 1 influence
-Fourth area completed until 2 influence

Car/Max was upgragraded essentially to the maximum, only engine (
V8
) and moveset was not at their best.
Last mission is very good.
Overall i think the game is very good since it kept me hooked until the end. Landscape and areas are amazing (except the last one).

Still love this, but the lack of a proper jump/climb function is a bit annoying. I was doing the mini wasteland mission
to get the first archangel (Shovelface body), Shovelface
is in a tiny camp by a big overhanging rock, area stats say 2 scrap and 1 crew part available. I've got the scrap no issue; I can see the crew part up on a ledge, but I can't see anyway to get to it. There is a chest high block in the way, then a climbable ladder, so presumably you are able to get up there somehow, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Can't climb the chest high block, can't park the Opus and climb on that etc etc. I've just been bumping into obviously climbable stuff which is annoying me.

Its not even an important pick up, it just grates on my collect everything OCD.

Walk behind the fence. There is a car bumper you climb and then you can reach the ladder.

Game is great to waste time and car plus max have enough upgrades where I could sink time into it for a while.

But what the fuck do I do to get more cash/junk? Fucking first upgrades for car I unlocked are like 300 a piece and I'm only finding like 20 max per cache.

Game is great to waste time and car plus max have enough upgrades where I could sink time into it for a while.

But what the fuck do I do to get more cash/junk? Fucking first upgrades for car I unlocked are like 300 a piece and I'm only finding like 20 max per cache.

If you free the outposts (i don't know how they are called precisely) they give you cash every now and then. For example if you have freed one outpost it will give you X cash every Y minutes. I don't know how Y is much but X iirc should be 20. And this scales of course.

Started last night:

+ Gorgeous graphics
+ Fighting is fun
+ Cars feel weighty
+ Music great so far
+ Feels like Red Dead Redemption with cars, which is a good thing

- Writing is a little like Fury Road, the B movie. They're trying, but it's still a bit awkward.
- Max looks a little soft on my good tv compared to, say, Talion or Batman. I don't know if he has less polygons, or it's a filter, but I wasn't blown away the first time I gained control.
- Biggest issue so far for me is the gimped jumping mechanics. First time I tried to collect Scrap, there was this piece on top of a sunken trailer bed that clearly I should have been able to jump up onto. Nope. You have to walk around it to one spot where you can push yourself up. I can see how this could get very frustrating, especially when you're used to being able to climb up anything that looks climbable in most of today's open-world games. Wish someone had warned me, so I'm warning you guys.

Overall, super excited to keep going. Seems like a solid 8 right now, which is about how I felt about Shadow of Mordor, my surprise gem of last fall. I'm not a MGS fan, so this will do nicely to scratch my adventure game itch until Fallout 4 arrives.

Also, FWIW, having way more fun with the beginning of this game than I did with the bloated beginning of Witcher 3.

It actually gets a green highlight if you watch the outside closely. Its the Yellow Y button (Xbox controller for me) and it turns green around that yellow button right when its on perfect.

Yeah you're right, I just went and checked this out, and I think I'd never noticed the green highlight before because the counter button on PS4 is the triangle which is green as well, so it blends in if I'm not looking directly at the prompt. Cheers.

Vitor711

Every base you capture will add around 20 scrap to your collection per base every 30 minutes or so. And you will find larger caches in other areas, as you progress.

The best way is to steal a Scrap van - those cash in 500 a pop if you drive them to a stronghold.

EDIT: Anyone know if there's a handbrake at all in this game? Because the inability to do tight turns is sort of killing the car combat for me.

Sephzilla

Yeah, I really dont understand what some critics were seeing wrong with this game. It's a blast so far. It's a more fun Shadow of Mordor that only lacks a nemesis system.

Every base you capture will add around 20 scrap to your collection per base every 30 minutes or so. And you will find larger caches in other areas, as you progress.

The best way is to steal a Scrap van - those cash in 500 a pop if you drive them to a stronghold.

EDIT: Anyone know if there's a handbrake at all in this game? Because the inability to do tight turns is sort of killing the car combat for me.
Where do you take the enemy vehicles when you find them? Maybe I need to progress further.

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone here uses first person driving? How do you like it?

Tried it for a bit [actually forgot that first person driving was even an option], it looks really really nice. It's impossible to keep track of enemy vehicles in combat though, but it looks cinematic as hell haha.

Vitor711

Where do you take the enemy vehicles when you find them? Maybe I need to progress further.

Jeet's Stronghold will be the first place you unlock. It's in the second main area. You won't come across many Scrap vans though - I've found one that was being stored at a Top Dog base and one randomly in the wasteland but I was mid convoy battle so couldn't grab it.

actually the best way is to collect the scrap containers after a storm those give you about 1000 scrap.

Jeet's Stronghold will be the first place you unlock. It's in the second main area. You won't come across many Scrap vans though - I've found one that was being stored at a Top Dog base and one randomly in the wasteland but I was mid convoy battle so couldn't grab it.
Yeah I found the top dog one. Thanks for the heads up.

Tigress

Does anyone know if adding in a scrap stockpile actually does anything to improve Jeet's base? I accidentally did so but I have not seen any real affect and its description almost seems like you add it for nothing really.

Tried it for a bit [actually forgot that first person driving was even an option], it looks really really nice. It's impossible to keep track of enemy vehicles in combat though, but it looks cinematic as hell haha.

I had no idea this was an option. How do you get it to go to first person mode?

Yeah it's driving me crazy too. I'm using the alternate control scheme where square is supposed to be the handbreak but I can't figure out how to use it in game.

EDIT: Maybe it's supposed to be circle and I've just been an idiot the whole time. Will verify tonight.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to find mine fields other than actually stumbling on them randomly? I have 1 minefield left in a territory and I have no idea where it is...

Definity

Is there a way to find mine fields other than actually stumbling on them randomly? I have 1 minefield left in a territory and I have no idea where it is...

Take chum's buggy for a spin around. You get close to one and the dog will lead you to it even if it's not already marked on the map.

Dawg

So... this game any good? I fully expect a B-tier kind of game, but I'm looking at what I should play once MGSV is over and this looks like the best choice.

Top Bottom