• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For all the people raving about how good the sound mix is, are any of you on PC?

On my 5.1 setup I need to turn the volume on my receiver way up even on Fury setting as the default volume is super low. Even then it definitely feels a bit meh... but not awful, by any means. Other games blow the socks off me on this same setup like Battlefield 4 for example.

For all the people raving about how good the sound mix is, are any of you on PC?

On my 5.1 setup I need to turn the volume on my receiver way up even on Fury setting as the default volume is super low. Even then it definitely feels a bit meh... but not awful, by any means. Other games blow the socks off me on this same setup like Battlefield 4 for example.

nah-been playing on XB1 7.1 uncompressed and its outstanding (?)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Saw a storm off in the distance and was like 'oh I got plenty of time' so I pull out my rifle to shoot a sniper and get ready to invade the fort when all the sudden

FWOOOOOOOM. Shit escalated real quick. Definitely a memorable moment for me.

JRW

It's crazy how well optimised this game is. Like damn, I'm running this at Very High settings, 1440p on a GTX 970, no dips.

Agreed! 1080p on a GTX 670 FTW edition (FTW model is basically a 680 performance wise and in some cases a teeny bit faster) and the lowest I've seen it dip to is 55FPS @ 1080P on Very High after 5 hours of playing

Oh and to top that off I'm using a 1st Gen i7 920 (overclocked to 3.4ghz since day 1), so I'm definitely impressed with the games performance.

Tip for cutscene-skipping-cretins like me who couldn't figure out how to advance the Wasteland Classic mission.

You have to install the 'green dotted' car upgrades to get a mission location to appear on your map.

And, odd as it is, I'm not finding Chumbucket as annoying as I thought I would.

Sephzilla

It's crazy how well optimised this game is. Like damn, I'm running this at Very High settings, 1440p on a GTX 970, no dips.

Agreed! 1080p on a GTX 670 FTW edition (FTW model is basically a 680 performance wise and in some cases a teeny bit faster) and the lowest I've seen it dip to is 55FPS @ 1080P on Very High after 5 hours of playing

Oh and to top that off I'm using a 1st Gen i7 920 (overclocked to 3.4ghz since day 1), so I'm definitely impressed with the games performance.

I wish I could run the PC version of this on higher settings. I barely meet the minimum requirements per Steam

JRW

I'm playing with headphones (Sony XB500) connected to an external amp after the soundcard (Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic) and the game sounds very loud here, just Max's car engine alone sounds fantastic and I'm hearing low end bass that you'd normally only hear in movie tracks, I haven't had to increase the volume any vs. other games.

heringer

Loving the game.

So far the only flaws are the somewhat loose controls on foot and how I always position the parking of the car thinking I'm going to leave on the left side. Filthy australian cars.

Moff

sigh, GAF convinced me to buy this game although I disliked mordor and swore I will buy mad max only if it gets stellar reviews
took the GMG 40% deal and I am downloading now

JRW

sigh, GAF convinced me to buy this game although I disliked mordor and swore I will buy mad max only if it gets stellar reviews
took the GMG 40% deal and I am downloading now

Only thing I'll say is to give it some time, I was already liking it out of the gate but it just kept getting better I progressed, I was definitely hooked after 4-5 hours (I'm currently working in Jeet's Stronghold area of the map).

Hey guys, I have a question/problem. I'm enjoying the game so far, but I'm trying to build the scrap crew project at Jeet's HQ and when I can't find the last piece. I have it highlighted on the map, but it tells me to go to an area that I've already fully looted. Is it glitched?

Why is Mordor brought up so much in this thread? Just curious, I must be missing a connection.

it took same Arkham Asylum combat model and applied it to LoTR set pieces- basically the hand to hand is similar to both games (hit Triangle/or Y to parry, etc)

-although I will be so bold as to say I prefer this kind of combat in Mad Max- you have to be close to chain moves together (no ice skating super flips to enemies far away) and its gory= winner in my eyes

however: better exploration/ character progression and car customization is here- along with some awesome vehicle combat-

kaskade

I ended up buying the game on PC since it's so cheap. I know I'll probably have to wait a bit on playing it since I'm too much into MGS right now. That said the game seems right up my alley. I'm not sick of the Batman style combat yet (and this looks nice and brutal) tons collecting and customizing as well.

Hey guys, I have a question/problem. I'm enjoying the game so far, but I'm trying to build the scrap crew project at Jeet's HQ and when I can't find the last piece. I have it highlighted on the map, but it tells me to go to an area that I've already fully looted. Is it glitched?

I had the same issue. On the map you should see another project icon in addition to the one you're currently near.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
DAMMIT my touch sensitive touchpad just showed that spoiler to me as I was scrolling through. ARRRRRghghghghghghGhGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGGHGH.

EDIT -- aRGGHGH. aRGHGGHGHGH.

EDIT -- man. i don't even. it hurts extra that the spoiler came from someone who didn't even play it. at least it was properly spoiler tagged so it's my own damn fault my computer pseudo-clicked it.

Sorry boro :(

I feel like I keep getting hit in combat in the middle of animations. The enemies that run at you are just awful for this. Hitting a parry then having a dude immediately run at me from right beside me isn't fun, it's just shitty. Should I just abandon parries when this happens?

I feel like I keep getting hit in combat in the middle of animations. The enemies that run at you are just awful for this. Hitting a parry then having a dude immediately run at me from right beside me isn't fun, it's just shitty. Should I just abandon parries when this happens?

I like that the game isn't forgiving with the combat in this aspect unlike with Batman or Mordor. I get hit so fucking often during combat.

Roll away and get some breathing room. When you're surrounded you're gonna be getting hit from all sides regardless of parries.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Boom Bug Death Run seems incredibly unfair. You can't shoot guys because you'll slow down and theyll ram you into one hit kill. If you ram them, they survive and ram you into a one hit kill. If you kill them, more come and they ram you into a one hit kil lafter you spin out from blowing the other guys car up

Beast780

This may be this years The Crew for me, a game that didn't review well that I sink a ton of hours in. I've loved all five hours I've played so far.

This may be this years The Crew for me, a game that didn't review well that I sink a ton of hours in. I've loved all five hours I've played so far.

It is one of those rare games that can be even better with a patch to balance some things but still is enjoyable without it. Not every games issues can be so easily fixed.

M.W.

Jesus, finally made it to Jeet's stronghold after like 15 hours. I'm thinking I should have went there ASAP. lol

The Boom Bug Death Run seems incredibly unfair. You can't shoot guys because you'll slow down and theyll ram you into one hit kill. If you ram them, they survive and ram you into a one hit kill. If you kill them, more come and they ram you into a one hit kil lafter you spin out from blowing the other guys car up

I had to retry that one a lot of times. Quite a few of the races feel like they require a bit of luck. For that one it was a case of sideswiping anyone that came too near and hoping nothing came out of nowhere to one shot you.

DrBo42

My name is Max. My world is fire and blood...and harpoons...and dog food.

Harpoon is seriously the worst thing to happen to this game. Car combat should all be about ramming and guns and boarding.

M.W.

My name is Max. My world is fire and blood...and harpoons...and dog food.

Harpoon is seriously the worst thing to happen to this game. Car combat should all be about ramming and guns and boarding.

You really don't like this game, do you? I think you said "squandered potential"? The game itself is pretty damn fun.

DrBo42

You really don't like this game, do you? I think you said "squandered potential"? The game itself is pretty damn fun.

I don't dislike it, but yes squandered potential sums up the survival mechanics. Could be far more engaging than it actually is when it comes to resources and specifically the weight of their use.

dealer-

I don't dislike it, but yes squandered potential sums up the survival mechanics. Could be far more engaging than it actually is when it comes to resources and specifically the weight of their use.

I don't think it's meant to be a survival game, it's more of a casual, arcade take on the Mad Max world. Boarding other vehicles would've been great though.

d00d3n

The game is pretty great. The reviews and initial negative impressions make sense, because the first five or so hours of the game play very much like the introduction of a subpar yearly ubisoft open world release.

There are a couple of things that those first hours don't tell you, though:

1. The upgrade systems for cars, gear and bases are some of the most interesting ones in an open world game ever. There are plenty of interesting choices to make here and stuff above the basic level is pretty expensive, which means that the incentive for doing sidequests, taking over outposts and collecting stuff is larger than in most other open world games.

2. The open missions when you take over outposts are much more varied than you would assume from playing the first one. They are neat little packages with perimeter defenses, puzzle solving, great exploration gameplay (often vertical!), arkham asylum type combat encounters, a modest amount of collectibles and sometimes even bosses! I hope that reviewers did not refer to the outposts when they were bashing the "generic" quests in the game, because that does not make a whole lot of sense.

3. When you are allowed to do your own thing, you start to appreciate what a fantastic world they have built. The open plains are interspersed with a perfect amount of small camps, sniper dens, patrolling cars, stuff to tear down, outposts, and various sidequests. The openness means that you have perfect clarity of what is around you, which makes the minimap/map less important than in other open world games. You just see something interesting up ahead and go there to investigate! This would not exactly work in Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Auto ...

I would highly recommend the game.

I can't help but wonder how much better this game would be if it didn't feel like a monkey were in charge of the controller layouts/keybinds. God, the controls are bad.

DrBo42

I don't think it's meant to be a survival game, it's more of a casual, arcade take on the Mad Max world. Boarding other vehicles would've been great though.

Yeah I understand that. Not expressing the need for Max to eat or drink constantly like a DayZ or anything like that. Just think that the combat would be more rewarding if fuel and ammo were more "realistic" in their scarcity. Would go a long way to immerse the player in that dystopian Mad Max world. When you throw this infinite harpoon mechanic into the fold on top of it, it goes too deep into that arcade genre to me personally. Water also being needed for radiators etc or needing scrap to upkeep your vehicle for when you push it too far could have been cool too.

Sephzilla

I think constantly being threatened with the possibility of running out of fuel would hurt the game. It would definitely be a little more realistic but considering how important driving / cars are to the game and to Mad Max in general I think more scarce fuel would hurt the experience.

DrBo42

I think constantly being threatened with the possibility of running out of fuel would hurt the game. It would definitely be a little more realistic but considering how important driving / cars are to the game and to Mad Max in general I think more scarce fuel would hurt the experience.

That's a question of balance. Obviously there's a fine line there between grind or constantly resource hunting and fun. Just expressing the thought that a heavier importance on the resources makes their use more rewarding or inspires creative thinking and gameplay options. Which ultimately IMO would have made this a better game. I can only speak for myself.

dealer-

That's a question of balance. Obviously there's a fine line there between grind or constantly resource hunting and fun. Just expressing the thought that a heavier importance on the resources makes their use more rewarding or inspires creative thinking and gameplay options. Which ultimately IMO would have made this a better game. I can only speak for myself.

Yeah, maybe the developers struggled with balance too. I said to my mate that it was a shame that petrol, food and water are pretty pointless after a while and he said he wasn't bothered as he just wanted to tear shit up and not worry about fuel etc.

Top Bottom