• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Corpekata

Banned
I just wanna reiterate that that was not a win for kenny. His wife asks him to quit business and work on his writing right before he's fired and offered a severance package. taking it and walking away from the ad game means he pleases his wife and gets the opportunity to escape and follow a dream. Instead he locks himself into a new job for decades and loses severance and probably causes a rift with his wife just so he can bug Roger.

I disagree. Ken knows he doesn't have the Great American Novel in him. That's why he snaps at his wife. His moment in the phone booth is his trying to spin it, not him realizing it was truly kismet and he should go write. You can also see it in the scene with Pete. Everyone is so supportive of Kenny writing this episode but he gets more annoyed every time it is mentioned. Pete envies Kenny's ability to be able to go follow his "dream" and Kenny just looks totally depressed.

I think he actually liked working in this world more than he expected and more than the people in his life think. They belittle the stuff he's put his life and his eye into as some distraction.

bomma_man

Just watched the premiere. It's more Mad Men so obviously it's better than every other show on television, but I feel like I don't understand where this season is going just yet. Don is back, it seems, which is awesome, but he seems to be in somewhat of a haze. It was good to see the rest of the crew as well, and they're all as slick as I remember.

I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the season plays out. The fashion, as always, is impeccable. I want to own all the outfits in this episode.

Really? The clothes are starting to get ugly as fuck. Even Don's shirt and tie were rank.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Really? The clothes are starting to get ugly as fuck. Even Don's shirt and tie were rank.

wat

He had a striped white shirt with a red/yellow/black tie that looked dope.

Also I wasn't necessarily referring to Don, but the characters in general. The guy Peggy met had an awesome jacket, for instance.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I disagree. Ken knows he doesn't have the Great American Novel in him. That's why he snaps at his wife. His moment in the phone booth is his trying to spin it, not him realizing it was truly kismet and he should go write. You can also see it in the scene with Pete. Everyone is so supportive of Kenny writing this episode but he gets more annoyed every time it is mentioned. Pete envies Kenny's ability to be able to go follow his "dream" and Kenny just looks totally depressed.

I think he actually liked working in this world more than he expected and more than the people in his life think. They belittle the stuff he's put his life and his eye into as some distraction.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Ken seemed to take offense every time someone told him to write about it. And to add to your points, I also have to wonder if it's because he wonders if people doubt his ability as an account man? Or his ability in the ad world in general? So him taking up a job at Dow Chemicals is his way of turning the tables on all of his doubters and naysayers...and hell...perhaps giving himself the closure he actually deserves. And perhaps the closure that a good story and book deserves?

Because let's face it, Cosgrove was a better employee than Pete was. And he frequently ended up on the shit side of the stick. SCDP abandoned him when they formed, for God's sake.

Pryce

Just watched the premiere. It's more Mad Men so obviously it's better than every other show on television, but I feel like I don't understand where this season is going just yet. Don is back, it seems, which is awesome, but he seems to be in somewhat of a haze. It was good to see the rest of the crew as well, and they're all as slick as I remember.

I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the season plays out. The fashion, as always, is impeccable. I want to own all the outfits in this episode.

Well, that's Mad Men.

Also, Mad Men is not a plot driven show. Yeah, there's marriages and clients, but it's character driven. If people expect a definite conclusion or a clear path, I think people need a different show cause Mr. Weiner sure ain't giving you one.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well, that's Mad Men.

Also, Mad Men is not a plot driven show. Yeah, there's marriages and clients, but it's character driven. If people expect a definite conclusion or a clear path, I think people need a different show cause Mr. Weiner sure ain't giving you one.

I'm aware that it's a character driven show, but this is the final season and I'm sure Weiner has a plan for Don. I'm trying to figure out what that plan is.

I feel that "Severance" featured Ken's swansong from the series. They put him in a place where he 'wins,' so you feel his character is still going to be around, even if we don't see Aaron Staton on screen.

With six episodes to go, I think we're going to see Weiner concentrate on Don, Peggy, Joan, Roger, Pete, Sally and Betty with a little bit of Ted and Stan on the side. If we're lucky, we'll get some closure on Cutler and Lou, but I wouldn't be surprised if Weiner puts either or both in positions where they can still vex the others (ie McCann)

Especially Lou. Gotta have closure there.

bomma_man

wat

He had a striped white shirt with a red/yellow/black tie that looked dope.

Also I wasn't necessarily referring to Don, but the characters in general. The guy Peggy met had an awesome jacket, for instance.

I dunno, man. The seventies were pretty awful. I can't imagine liking any of the clothes for anything beyond their kitsch value.

This episode acts as a vessel for the characters, the audience, and the writers to reflect upon the last 6 seasons. They have time to reflect upon the various paths they've taken and choices they have made over the years, while still reaffirming their current existence. While thinking about this episode, I realized that this might be my favorite episode of Mad Men. Thematically, it is such a beautifully woven story around a thread that seems so sporadic and sprawling at first and even second viewing. It places many characters a point of limbo, where they're aware of their past and can start to think about what it is they exactly want from the rest of their life.

I’ll start with Ken, as his plot and musings helped me unpack the rest of the cast’s journey through this episode. We find out Ken’s life right now isn’t at its best, despite Mad Men constantly parading Ken’s successes at home. After getting in a bad fight with his wife surrounding soul-crashing-yet-satisfying career vs follow-your-creative-dream hobbies, Ken offered the easiest out by being fired from the firm. In any typical sitcom, Ken would go home sulking to his wife, be depressed, then get inspired to do his hobby and finally show up the old corporate losers that fired him.

Instead, Ken clues the audience in to today’s theme: “dad retires, wife says give up the soulcrushing job and write that novel….I think I was going to do it, and the very next day I’m fired, can you believe that? That’s not a coincidence, that’s a sign. The life not lived….It’s great,” and chuckles as if in pain. But Ken has yet to officially join the rest of the cast on this show. He’s reached his crossroads, his ‘California’. They fight with it alone, in weird places like a phone booth, the hot sun of California, or the mental hospital with your newborn baby. “Now I have to find a way to drag myself through those doors,” he says to a bewildered Don. Ken’s struggle, like many of the characters on this show’s struggle, is singular, insular and ultimately not sharable with his friends, coworkers, and wives. They struggle with who they are and who they want to be, but Ken’s benefit is being able to see the struggle and explain it before having to make the choice between the two. He knows the consequences of his actions, and is in full control when he makes his final decision.

Don is fucking whoever he wants. He’s got multiple girls waiting on him. Heck, he’s basically screwing at work. Don and the casting girl are nearly deed-performing in the first three minutes of the episode, yet his pals end up being in the room the whole time. He can get anyone into his bed, but Don can no longer shut his past out of the bedroom. Perhaps like the peripheral eye floaters, his previous lays keep returning into his life. Megan’s earring pops up when he’s about to go to town on a stewardess, he vaguely recognizes the waitress while he’s got arm candy to go with his party suit, and he dreams of Rachel instead of the other casting girls. And yet this episode focuses on Rachel, fittingly, the first girl we know who escaped his grasp. Grasping to the Jewish princess, he uses Topaz as a way to see her again perhaps believing that with his new swagger he could get back in her good graces.

Yet there’s a problem, Rachel dies the next day. When he reaches her wake, he speaks candidly with Rachel's sister as if they've been friends for a long time before spotting her children. "I just wanted to know what her life was like," he says, yet is firmly rebuked: 'She lived the life she wanted to live....she had everything’. His conversation with the sister broken up with Don’s lengthy stares at the events, frequently suffused with pained longing. But he doesn’t know exactly what he is longing for.
Don listens to Nixon’s speech regarding a threat from Cambodia. Not surprisingly, this applies to Don’s current mental state. One could view this in many different ways: Dick Whitman’s obsession with the figure of Don Draper is a ‘vietnam war, where Rachel acts like the growing threat in Cambodia; since ‘Don Draper’ the figure is equated with Vietnam, he’s beginning to realize completely that this figure is bullshit, it’s empty…as is mirrored in his ghastly expression at the funeral; perhaps SC/McCann is Vietnam, a Borg-like entity designed to stamp out the spiritual innocence of its dedicated employees…since all seem to have lost something for all their career successes, and those it casts away might result in the same fate (Ken(?), Ginsburg, Duck Phillips).

Don, still trying to determine what is so wrong, seeks out the waitress one more time. He tells her his weird déjà vu with Rachel and his dream. She responds detached, &#8216;When people die, everything gets mixed up&#8230;..You just want to make sense of it,but you can&#8217;t&#8221;. Don can now talk about the whorehouse toaster or fuck whatever bimbo he wants, yet he cannot have a significant conversation with anyone he knows. He can say everything about his life, but he can never actually explain himself to anyone who he really is&#8230;because he doesn&#8217;t even know. Is he just the sexual symbol that he always wanted to be. And what came at the expense of that? Was it Rachel who died, Betty who divorced and remarried, or Megan who whisked him away like foam off a beer? He was the one who was left; his essence is now just a pointed dick, ready to be used, abused, and then abandoned at the end of the night. Pretty soon that lonely man huddled over and stuck in thought, that man thinks that maybe he might turn out to be exactly what that waitress first saw him as: a lonely man who thinks about his non-wife Rachel and has to pay for sex from a waitress that looks kind of like her. <- not really sure I believe all of this. Just went with the typing&#8230;

Peggy remembers, even if it's just for one night, what it's like to have fun. She's shocked when he and be in love. Peggy is shocked when her date finds her choice to enter the workplace, yet is moved when she hears her coworkers fond words of her. When comparing lifestyles with her new pal, she realizes that she&#8217;s a completely work-defined person. The twinkle of the &#8216;other self&#8217; emerges: hell, I&#8217;m successful enough that I can just go do wherever I want whenever I want. Thrust back into society, no passport, romantic spot = gunshot. She&#8217;s reminded of her first year as a secretary, how being in love destroys her chances at a career (there&#8217;s no way a second baby would help her career). She returns to the obsessive, driven personality that got her escalated out of the secretarial staff to a level of creative prowess, if not equals to Don's, that is capable of reaching the same heights as his.
But Stan questions her quick reversal. Yes, she could still go to Paris, but it's counter to who she's really been these past years. Who is she actually when she's reached success? Is it the girl who goes to Paris, or is she the girl who gave up her offspring for her career?

Joan, a woman who utilized her sex appeal to gain a set at the company&#8217;s dinner table, then her brains to domineer the sectorial staff, and finally give up her body to finally actually get a piece of the pie. Cut to a few years later and she&#8217;s a millionaire who no longer has to get new coats from her date (who happens to be a married man). She can buy whatever goddamn thing she wants, yet wherever she goes she&#8217;s still known as the girl who worked there, as if &#8216;does she really have enough to afford all these cloths?&#8217; In fact, despite her ridiculous wealth and power within her company, she still has to navigate the same sexist leers and overt sexual advances as before. While she&#8217;s still disgusted by these people and could fend away many jabs by dressing differently, she&#8217;s not willing to change the person who got her to her current status. Her beauty is a strength, and it&#8217;s also what got her a million bucks.

Hell, even Pete joins the fray: He quite figure out how his old wonderful Californian life slipped away from him. Ted Chaw joins in too: &#8220;there are three girls in everyone&#8217;s life,&#8221; and obviously he&#8217;s searching for the third.

Don&#8217;t even get me started on the first scene. They direct each other as if physical contact is happening. And then he drops a cigarette in the cup. The music voiceover acts as the thematic method of the episode. The two continue. A woman speaks candidly and a bit like improve as she recounts a memory of her youth: &#8216;I remember when I was a little girl, our house caught on fire. I&#8217;ll never forget the look on my father&#8217;s face as he gathered me up in his arms and raced to the burning building out on the pavement. And I stood there in my pajamas and watched the whole world go up in flames. And when it was all over I said, was that all there is to a fire?&#8217; And as if the show answers: Ted Chaw, Pete & Co turn out to be in the scene. Not only does the songs&#8217; &#8216;genre&#8217; of self-reflection mirror each character, it also the thematic content as well. The lyrics are about disappointment with what they&#8217;ve become once reflecting upon their youth.

Bladenic

I've always been a Ken fan, so it's somewhat frustrating that he's had a total of 2 episodes centered around him, this one being one. That said, his conclusion was fairly satisfying (always being treated like shit mostly at work or forgotten, now getting to say "fuck you"). That's perhaps Mad Men's biggest "problem" for me. It's filled with these fascinating characters that I just wanna see more of, but of course that will detract from the core cast. Anyway, I won't be surprised if Ken doesn't even show up again, physically anyway.

The one character who's diminished presence I really disliked was Betty. I know, I know, fuck betty or whatever, but to me she was one of the most interesting characters S1-3 and I liked her dynamic with Don far more than Don/Megan. And since S5, she's really not developed at all. She's had storylines sure, but they didn't go anywhere or really alter anything about her (some would levy this against all the characters though). I doubt anything will come from her spat with Henry in the first half of S7, and I feel like she's really been kept around only to serve as a foil to Sally.

Oh but enough about that, the season premiere was amazing imo. I mean, RACHEL. And the other pimp from Hung. And the actress from Family Stone and idk what else.

hamchan

I'm aware that it's a character driven show, but this is the final season and I'm sure Weiner has a plan for Don. I'm trying to figure out what that plan is.

Expect more deaths perhaps. S7 part 1 closed with the death of Bert, S7 part 2 opened with Don learning about Rachel dying. Watch it all affect Don mentally.

Alpende

Seeing Ken preparing for revenge is awesome, the way he told them was great. Can't wait to see more of that stuff.

LifEndz

I'm going to miss this this show so much. It's shot so beautifully. The costumes, character interactions, subtlety...God damn. Hope it picks up a big viewer rating now like breaking bad did at the end. Only six more :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yep and spoiler alert: Thanos will appear in the final episodes.
csFwNLW.png

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The (half) season premiere earned 2.266 million viewers and a 0.8 A18-49, which is almost exactly what last season premiered to - 2.268 million 0.8 A18-49.

wbsmcs

Watched the episode again last night and I don't know if it has already been mentioned in the thread, but in the Rachel dream scene did anyone notice how Ted opened the door, but then Pete was the one who closed it? Any meaning behind this, or is it to just let us know that it's a dream?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Watched the episode again last night and I don't know if it has already been mentioned in the thread, but in the Rachel dream scene did anyone notice how Ted opened the door, but then Pete was the one who closed it? Any meaning behind this, or is it to just let us know that it's a dream?

A.V. Club suggested:

Don’s dream begins with Ted Chaough saying, “Here’s another girl,” as if they’re all the same as one another. But Rachel Katz isn’t just another girl. Then, at the end of the dream, it’s Pete at the door instead. It’s the men Don works with who are interchangeable to him—not Rachel.

Fjordson

Just watched the premiere. Whoa.

Not gonna front like I understood everything that happened, but I'll just say that I'm overjoyed the show is back. Going to have to watch the episode again this week before Sunday.

realwords

Anyone think there's a connection between Joan stating that she wanted to burn the building to the ground after the meeting with the three guys, and the music lyrics during the end credits talking about the house burning to the ground?

Man, this show is like a Literature professor's wet dream.

garath

I loved this episode. It's like everything I've ever loved about Madmen all rolled into one.

I am so sad the show is ending. I hope it goes out with dignity and grace for a character driven show (re: Six Feet Under) as opposed to completely failing (re: Dexter) or leaving your audience unfulfilled and annoyed (re: Sopranos).

Paganmoon

This episode acts as a vessel for the characters, the audience, and the writers to reflect upon the last 6 seasons. They have time to reflect upon the various paths they've taken and choices they have made over the years, while still reaffirming their current existence. While thinking about this episode, I realized that this might be my favorite episode of Mad Men. Thematically, it is such a beautifully woven story around a thread that seems so sporadic and sprawling at first and even second viewing. It places many characters a point of limbo, where they're aware of their past and can start to think about what it is they exactly want from the rest of their life.

I’ll start with Ken, as his plot and musings helped me unpack the rest of the cast’s journey through this episode. We find out Ken’s life right now isn’t at its best, despite Mad Men constantly parading Ken’s successes at home. After getting in a bad fight with his wife surrounding soul-crashing-yet-satisfying career vs follow-your-creative-dream hobbies, Ken offered the easiest out by being fired from the firm. In any typical sitcom, Ken would go home sulking to his wife, be depressed, then get inspired to do his hobby and finally show up the old corporate losers that fired him.

Instead, Ken clues the audience in to today’s theme: “dad retires, wife says give up the soulcrushing job and write that novel….I think I was going to do it, and the very next day I’m fired, can you believe that? That’s not a coincidence, that’s a sign. The life not lived….It’s great,” and chuckles as if in pain. But Ken has yet to officially join the rest of the cast on this show. He’s reached his crossroads, his ‘California’. They fight with it alone, in weird places like a phone booth, the hot sun of California, or the mental hospital with your newborn baby. “Now I have to find a way to drag myself through those doors,” he says to a bewildered Don. Ken’s struggle, like many of the characters on this show’s struggle, is singular, insular and ultimately not sharable with his friends, coworkers, and wives. They struggle with who they are and who they want to be, but Ken’s benefit is being able to see the struggle and explain it before having to make the choice between the two. He knows the consequences of his actions, and is in full control when he makes his final decision.

Don is fucking whoever he wants. He’s got multiple girls waiting on him. Heck, he’s basically screwing at work. Don and the casting girl are nearly deed-performing in the first three minutes of the episode, yet his pals end up being in the room the whole time. He can get anyone into his bed, but Don can no longer shut his past out of the bedroom. Perhaps like the peripheral eye floaters, his previous lays keep returning into his life. Megan’s earring pops up when he’s about to go to town on a stewardess, he vaguely recognizes the waitress while he’s got arm candy to go with his party suit, and he dreams of Rachel instead of the other casting girls. And yet this episode focuses on Rachel, fittingly, the first girl we know who escaped his grasp. Grasping to the Jewish princess, he uses Topaz as a way to see her again perhaps believing that with his new swagger he could get back in her good graces.

Yet there’s a problem, Rachel dies the next day. When he reaches her wake, he speaks candidly with Rachel's sister as if they've been friends for a long time before spotting her children. "I just wanted to know what her life was like," he says, yet is firmly rebuked: 'She lived the life she wanted to live....she had everything’. His conversation with the sister broken up with Don’s lengthy stares at the events, frequently suffused with pained longing. But he doesn’t know exactly what he is longing for.
Don listens to Nixon’s speech regarding a threat from Cambodia. Not surprisingly, this applies to Don’s current mental state. One could view this in many different ways: Dick Whitman’s obsession with the figure of Don Draper is a ‘vietnam war, where Rachel acts like the growing threat in Cambodia; since ‘Don Draper’ the figure is equated with Vietnam, he’s beginning to realize completely that this figure is bullshit, it’s empty…as is mirrored in his ghastly expression at the funeral; perhaps SC/McCann is Vietnam, a Borg-like entity designed to stamp out the spiritual innocence of its dedicated employees…since all seem to have lost something for all their career successes, and those it casts away might result in the same fate (Ken(?), Ginsburg, Duck Phillips).

Don, still trying to determine what is so wrong, seeks out the waitress one more time. He tells her his weird déjà vu with Rachel and his dream. She responds detached, ‘When people die, everything gets mixed up…..You just want to make sense of it,but you can’t”. Don can now talk about the whorehouse toaster or fuck whatever bimbo he wants, yet he cannot have a significant conversation with anyone he knows. He can say everything about his life, but he can never actually explain himself to anyone who he really is…because he doesn’t even know. Is he just the sexual symbol that he always wanted to be. And what came at the expense of that? Was it Rachel who died, Betty who divorced and remarried, or Megan who whisked him away like foam off a beer? He was the one who was left; his essence is now just a pointed dick, ready to be used, abused, and then abandoned at the end of the night. Pretty soon that lonely man huddled over and stuck in thought, that man thinks that maybe he might turn out to be exactly what that waitress first saw him as: a lonely man who thinks about his non-wife Rachel and has to pay for sex from a waitress that looks kind of like her. <- not really sure I believe all of this. Just went with the typing…

Peggy remembers, even if it's just for one night, what it's like to have fun. She's shocked when he and be in love. Peggy is shocked when her date finds her choice to enter the workplace, yet is moved when she hears her coworkers fond words of her. When comparing lifestyles with her new pal, she realizes that she’s a completely work-defined person. The twinkle of the ‘other self’ emerges: hell, I’m successful enough that I can just go do wherever I want whenever I want. Thrust back into society, no passport, romantic spot = gunshot. She’s reminded of her first year as a secretary, how being in love destroys her chances at a career (there’s no way a second baby would help her career). She returns to the obsessive, driven personality that got her escalated out of the secretarial staff to a level of creative prowess, if not equals to Don's, that is capable of reaching the same heights as his.
But Stan questions her quick reversal. Yes, she could still go to Paris, but it's counter to who she's really been these past years. Who is she actually when she's reached success? Is it the girl who goes to Paris, or is she the girl who gave up her offspring for her career?

Joan, a woman who utilized her sex appeal to gain a set at the company’s dinner table, then her brains to domineer the sectorial staff, and finally give up her body to finally actually get a piece of the pie. Cut to a few years later and she’s a millionaire who no longer has to get new coats from her date (who happens to be a married man). She can buy whatever goddamn thing she wants, yet wherever she goes she’s still known as the girl who worked there, as if ‘does she really have enough to afford all these cloths?’ In fact, despite her ridiculous wealth and power within her company, she still has to navigate the same sexist leers and overt sexual advances as before. While she’s still disgusted by these people and could fend away many jabs by dressing differently, she’s not willing to change the person who got her to her current status. Her beauty is a strength, and it’s also what got her a million bucks.

Hell, even Pete joins the fray: He quite figure out how his old wonderful Californian life slipped away from him. Ted Chaw joins in too: “there are three girls in everyone’s life,” and obviously he’s searching for the third.

Don’t even get me started on the first scene. They direct each other as if physical contact is happening. And then he drops a cigarette in the cup. The music voiceover acts as the thematic method of the episode. The two continue. A woman speaks candidly and a bit like improve as she recounts a memory of her youth: ‘I remember when I was a little girl, our house caught on fire. I’ll never forget the look on my father’s face as he gathered me up in his arms and raced to the burning building out on the pavement. And I stood there in my pajamas and watched the whole world go up in flames. And when it was all over I said, was that all there is to a fire?’ And as if the show answers: Ted Chaw, Pete & Co turn out to be in the scene. Not only does the songs’ ‘genre’ of self-reflection mirror each character, it also the thematic content as well. The lyrics are about disappointment with what they’ve become once reflecting upon their youth.

Geez, Lastflowers, you don't write like this in Windows Phone OT... Good writeup.

I like Aaron Staton's interpretation of his character's decision and why I also see it as a win, even if I would love for him to write a novel.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/aaron-staton-mad-men-kens-big-decision.html
But because of all that, would he be happy at Dow?

He will be at first! Certainly, he feels pretty good about the decision now. I don't know, I feel like his decision was not based on looking at what will lead to greater happiness down the line. He was like, "This one's for me. I'll find happiness along the way."

Jigorath

Banned
Ken is a malcontent. He wants to be miserable.

His dream is a facade.

All these characters are self destructive and miserable. Don, Betty, Pete, Peggy, Roger, they constantly sabotage their own chance at happiness. It's almost beautiful how they are all their own worst enemies.

All these characters are self destructive and miserable. Don, Betty, Pete, Peggy, Roger, they constantly sabotage their own chance at happiness. It's almost beautiful how they are all their own worst enemies.

and as I said in my wall-of-text: Ken seems to be the one who most easily sees this destructive behavior of his colleagues. He comments on it, and decides to do it anyways.

This entire episode is both a reflection on the benefits and downsides of their actions these past 7 seasons, and also a reaffirmation of their struggles...since there is to be a new member of the internally struggling cast of characters.

jelly

Nothing deep in my discussion but I've just noticed Cosgroves wife is the actress who played Alex Mack in the TV show of the same name.

Top Bottom