• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

tchocky

I wonder how many of these final eps Jessica Paré will appear in.

I'd probably be okay with Megan appearing very little. I like the character more then a lot of people do, but I don't think we need significantly more closure with the character than what we got with her at the end of Waterloo.

Yeah, I really like Megan but her story with Don seems to have wrapped up perfectly the only way I would like to see her back is if Don sees some tv/movie starring Megan to maybe show that she is better off without him.

MartyStu

I think people are reading too much into it. Of course I could be wrong but I think it was just Don projecting the image of Rachel onto someone else with the hopes of gaining some sort of insight/closure/connection with her after her passing.

Explains why he'd dream of Rachel after he sees her and why he is drawn to her after he hears of her passing.

Yep.

I think the parallel with Ken's story points to this. Ken thinks about quitting, then gets fired.

The waitress reminds Don of Rachel, then he finds out she has died.

this.

Several reviewers have made "note" of this, that I _bet_ Weiner added something in his thing about "the non-linearity of time" or something.
While I'm not certain as to the cause, I very much had a similar reaction to there being some alteration of reality within this episode; the surreal diner scenes, the dream sequence involving Rachel and when it occurs, the opening sequence that plays upon many of Don's past events, the emphasis upon "the life not lived" and the many characters being confronted with their past to some degree, the comment about there being three women in every man's life (which I think has a key importance, given that Don has already had three wives and perhaps has relevance to more characters even if I'm unwilling to consider it more deeply as of now), and, most importantly/substantially, the comment about death confusing matters (I'm currently typing from a phone so I'm unable to locate the exact quote however I feel that that line within the diner is of substantial significance, particularly given how heavy the imagery of death has always been within Mad Men (and how it has always toyed with flashbacks and dream sequences), emphasised even further by the speculative ending of Don taking a leap as in the opening sequence) all call into question our viewing of reality within the show. Of course, at the current time it is impossible to say whether this is justified, adn I would be highly surprised if Weiner ever suggests an "it was all in Don's head/Don's memories!"-style ending ether than something much more ambiguous and open-ended (and in addition, I very much doubt any time jump), but I can definitely understand why it has been questioned based upon this episode.

Pryce

The first scene, when viewed again, strikes me. In the sense that it so much more vibrant, colorful and non-Mad Men (in a way). Especially when viewing the first episode of the series.

Who's Don's first wife, Anna? Does that count?
The three women in Don's life who I was consider was Anna, Betty, and Megan. Whether it counts or not is really open to interpretation, how much significance one places upon the line, and how one actually perceives the line, given that Don has been with far more than three women throughout the series and the women of most significance to him is highly subjective. The line, itself, could also relate to other characters, or may merely be a throwaway, so it isn't exactly something which can be objectively assessed until the series concludes.

Thought about Ken last night. I imagine Ken went home, told his wife about his firing, and then she motivated him to stick it to the agency.

The opening... Don holding the Greek coffee cup analyzing furs. Sterling Cooper discovered Don at a fur store owned by a Greek man. (Gus taught Don how to sell)

Who's Gus again?

I seriously need to read up on what happened the last episode of the first half of the season to refresh my memory.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I'd think the three women are Betty, Megan, and Sally. Each has been at odds with Don, and he's worked to keep them from being disappointed in him. Ultimately he fails with each of them.

- Onion A|V Club: Play “Can you name this Mad Men character?” in our first DVR Club
Welcome to the first installment of DVR Club, a show where two A.V. Club staffers revisit a TV episode while it’s still hot off the televisual presses, in the interest of refreshing your memory and giving you a few conversation starters. It’s like a highlight reel crossed with a commentary track, and we’re excited to try it out in the coming weeks, beginning with a look back at last night’s Mad Men episode, “Severance.” John Teti and Erik Adams are here to discuss the top storylines, play a little game of “Can you name this character?,” and revel in ’70s facial hair.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I wonder how many of these final eps Jessica Paré will appear in.

I'd be perfectly fine with very few Megan appearances from this point forward. I like the character more then a lot of people do, but I don't think we need significantly more closure with the character than what we got with her at the end of Waterloo.

Yeah, not really sure either. I was kind of surprised to see her in the promos since I figured her story was done. I can't imagine her appearing too much.

f0rk

I wasn't expecting Don to be back to womanizing, but I guess it's not really surprising. From the conversation about the Vogue party I guess Ted is joining him?

The avclub review mentions the wine spill looked like blood in the same place Don killed a woman in his dream, but missed Megan's earring being right next to it.

Season 1 Ken would have fitted right into McCann.

"Don't do anything rash Ken, it's just a job" hahaaha good one Don

When he was talking to Rachel's sister, he meant Betty.

I don't think Don ever considers Anna his "wife", even though she was.
Even if he did he automatically doesn't mention her whenever anyone asks because it's part of his former life. If someone asks him "how many wives have you had", he says 2 without realizing that he's lying since he's so used to not bringing up that part of his life.

Juz

Don the man is back it seems. Also Ken getting his revenge was pretty hilarious.

Solid opening episode.

Rachel ;_;

Ken has always been one of my favorite supporting characters, I love whenever we get a storyline that focuses on him. Great episode.

Also idk about anyone else, but I picked up some Oedipal undertones with Don and the waitress.

Altazor

Whoa, what an episode - surreal, deep, oneiric, slow (which isn't a bad thing). I first felt all giddy and amazed that Rachel Menken Katz (THE BEST) appeared once again... then the episode tore down that happiness completely.

Am I wrong in thinking that Mad Men became much more liberal in the use of allegories, metaphors and all those techniques after the hiatus (from S5 onwards)? I wouldn't say it wasn't deep from the get go (because it was), but it seems -and correct me if I'm wrong- that after the return, it started to feel differently. A lot of death and rebirth allegories and subtext, stuff like that.

jtb

Banned
Decent episode, but Mad Man has mined this territory so thoroughly already (and better, too) that it doesn't really resonate anymore.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think people are reading too much into it. Of course I could be wrong but I think it was just Don projecting the image of Rachel onto someone else with the hopes of gaining some sort of insight/closure/connection with her after her passing.

Explains why he'd dream of Rachel after he sees her and why he is drawn to her after he hears of her passing.
Seriously, to me it was pretty clear she reminded him of Rachel, then they fucked because she thought he left the $100 bill and that was that.

Definitely didn't expect to see posters and even seasoned reviewers thinking Don is experiencing time non-linearly (wtf). I know Mad Men theories can get pretty out there in the fanfiction realm but lol.

Draper

Seriously, to me it was pretty clear she reminded him of Rachel, then they fucked because she thought he left the $100 bill and that was that.

Definitely didn't expect to see posters and even seasoned reviewers thinking Don is experiencing time non-linearly (wtf). I know Mad Men theories can get pretty out there in the fanfiction realm but lol.

Yeah, I'm pretty grounded with my thoughts and theories on Mad Men, but something about that entire episode felt so off to me- the diner scenes felt so dreamlike, and the waitress felt like some sort of purveyor of death and insight.

Guess Who

Banned
Clearly the coffee shop is Hades, the waitress lady is Persephone, and Don is Orpheus just trying to get back his now-deceased love. I talked to Matthew Weiner and confirmed all this, don't bother him about it.

I'm really glad Sepinwall noted Peggy said "I love veal" on the date, because I swore she said "I love you" and was surprised that it seemingly went unnoticed.

I'm surprised people didn't pick up on the $100 alley tax right away, though.

I really think the waitress was just a repetition on the theme presented at the very end of the last half of the season. The door closing to Bert's office was a symbol of death. I think it's the same thing here, it's just that the death anxiety is becoming compounded, which is really fitting for the final stretch of this show.

For Don, death is undermining the inadequate ways he concocts meaning in his life. Especially at this point in his life (entering middle age), and not having lived with any particular sense of purpose, death isn't only representative of death but also perceived meaninglessness, and the sense of 'doors closing' is only going to remind him of this. This is the idea behind the pop-psychological concept of the 'midlife crisis'. And I think this was the point of showing that he went back to womanizing. As time goes on, you can't continue being idle in your life like you were when you were young, at least not without that being undermined by a broader awareness or a sort of social interest (the continuation of society, 'life going on' without you). In the positive aspect this is why Don passed the torch to Peggy, but in Mad Men it's going to be more complex than that, especially for Don. How people tend to find meaning in this stage of their lives is by 'giving back' to society, but Don is still 'behind' where he should be. He didn't find a strong value system or learn who he really is (see Erik Erikson's psychosocial virtue of 'fidelity'), he didn't find love, and now the image of death looming over the latter half of his life is just going to make everything more complicated.

npa189

Just got caught up, good for Kenny! Someone needed to shit in rodger's cornflakes after that. Kenny worked for SC&P for like 7-8ish years? and just to toss him aside like that? Also the permanent eye loss is really awful, I assumed that was temporary but I guess not.

Corpekata

Banned
Ken's moment of triumph was great. I love these characters but they are often so awful it is great fun to see them get some just desserts every once in a while.

Kvik

Whoa, what an episode - surreal, deep, oneiric, slow (which isn't a bad thing). I first felt all giddy and amazed that Rachel Menken Katz (THE BEST) appeared once again... then the episode tore down that happiness completely.

I beg to differ:

Mad-Men-Faye-Miller.jpg

Definitely best girl.

Just got caught up, good for Kenny! Someone needed to shit in rodger's cornflakes after that. Kenny worked for SC&P for like 7-8ish years? and just to toss him aside like that? Also the permanent eye loss is really awful, I assumed that was temporary but I guess not.

What? Did he really lost his eye? I always thought it was just some of the pellets from the buckshot scraped his face.

Then again those 12 gauges are no joke. :-\ Poor Kenny.

In the scene where he talks to his wife about writing he's not wearing the patch and you can see his mangled eye. Not sure if it's actually out of his head or just dead though.

Well, I really shouldn't be so surprised. After that lawnmower thing, Weiner certainly didn't mess around when it comes to violence.

Corpekata

Banned
What? Did he really lost his eye? I always thought it was just some of the pellets from the buckshot scraped his face.

Then again those 12 gauges are no joke. :-\ Poor Kenny.

In the scene where he talks to his wife about writing he's not wearing the patch and you can see his mangled eye. Not sure if it's actually out of his head or just dead though.

big ander

I just wanna reiterate that that was not a win for kenny. His wife asks him to quit business and work on his writing right before he's fired and offered a severance package. taking it and walking away from the ad game means he pleases his wife and gets the opportunity to escape and follow a dream. Instead he locks himself into a new job for decades and loses severance and probably causes a rift with his wife just so he can bug Roger.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the premiere. It's more Mad Men so obviously it's better than every other show on television, but I feel like I don't understand where this season is going just yet. Don is back, it seems, which is awesome, but he seems to be in somewhat of a haze. It was good to see the rest of the crew as well, and they're all as slick as I remember.

I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the season plays out. The fashion, as always, is impeccable. I want to own all the outfits in this episode.

Top Bottom