• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Opto

Banned
Yeah, earlier in the episode, Ken says Dow is pretty much a merchant of death, yet he gets in bed with them. At this rate he's going to fall into a vat of acid

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
All of the scenes with the waitress made no sense.

But my wife also quickly pointed when she said 'you got your money's worth' that she implied the $100 bill, and thus the $90 tip was from Don and for sex.

Either way, I'm confused why he remembers her.

Looking back at some of the previous posts..

First time seeing how nonsense the previews are, lol. "where were you", I want to have dinner with you, etc. So cryptic.

That diner conversation was heartbreaking, and clarifies where I think Don's story will go this year. Past loves well and truly catching up with him, throwing his newfound bachelor lifestyle into question.

Jesus Joan and Pete and everyone are so rich now.

Yeah the previews are nonsense, but sometimes the loglines can be humorous too. The logline for the season 6 finale was Don has a problem.

As for the diner conversation being a sign of where Don's story is headed, I could see that being true, but then again I remember after watching the first episode of season 6 that something bad was going to happen to Don because of the message of suicide he had in an ad.

Of course being put on leave was bad, but Don showing his childhood home to his kids and opening up even the tiniest isn't something I expected.

I was reading through some the interview with the director of this episode and he said, that Don seeing Rachel in his dream and then learning of her demise was a sort of reckoning for him that leads him to question who he is and where he's going.

So who knows maybe Don will change for the better and he'll heed the sign of the life not lived unlike Ken or the more likely scenario, at least of now after this most recent episode, he'll simply ignore the sign like Ken did. I mean speaking honestly its Don he's had plenty of opportunities to change, him failing to do so once again is sad, but its not surprising in any way. I'd settle for leaving Peggy is a decent spot at least by the end. I wonder if the future episodes will have the same kind of dreamy haze this one had?

Amazing premiere. Sobbing a lil at this being the beginning of the end, and also the themes of the episode – should hit anyone that is new to the daily grind of work particularly hard.

Its certainly powerful stuff, and I do believe the last episode when it airs will probably get me a little misty eyed. The end of season 6 certainly did it and the suitcase too from season 4.

Rookje

The waitress reminded me of:

alexis-bledel-mad-men-4.jpeg

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I always am a little unsettled by the premieres (not in a bad way). It's almost like you have to catch up to their lives in progress and you're on the outside looking in and kind of fake your way until you have everything down. I liked this episode, very dreamlike. I love how they shot the very first scene. Was hoping Ken would move on and be happy, but part of me also kind of hope he does stick it to Pete and Roger a bit too. I might have cheered a little bit when he told them he was a client lol. I thought the Joan and Peggy scenes were really good. Was kind of surprised that they went back to Rachel, but I don't think it was out of place at all, I like how they dealt with it.

The A.V. Club review was very good as well, I felt.

But my wife also quickly pointed when she said 'you got your money's worth' that she implied the $100 bill, and thus the $90 tip was from Don and for sex.

Her name is Di. Don is intrigued by her and eventually embraces her. She's death, baby.

Pryce

That was wonderful. Don looking on at Menkin's kids was heartbreaking.

Didn't Anna Draper die of Leukemia as well?

JTripper

As for the diner conversation being a sign of where Don's story is headed, I could see that being true, but then again I remember after watching the first episode of season 6 that something bad was going to happen to Don because of the message of suicide he had in an ad.

Of course being put on leave was bad, but Don showing his childhood home to his kids and opening up even the tiniest isn't something I expected.

To me, the start and end of season 6 was all about a sort of metaphorical suicide that Don would commit. He thinks about it at the start of the season from his time in Hawaii (reading the divine comedy no less) and then ends the season being put on leave because of his actions, so it was a kind of death of the old Don Draper where he then was forced to reinvent himself or be reborn, and so he does it by sharing his past with his children.

As evident with the new episode though, killing the old Don isn't an easy thing to do, but he definitely grew as a result of being put on leave and accepting his children into a very personal and private part of his life.

Great episode, but it really felt more like something that would be in the middle of the season outside of a few things rather than the season openers we've had before. I'm still pissed AMC split the season.

Red Comet

I just assumed that she reminded him of Rachael based on their final bit of dialog. Also, it would explain why Don dreamed of Rachael.

To me, the start and end of season 6 was all about a sort of metaphorical suicide that Don would commit. He thinks about it at the start of the season from his time in Hawaii (reading the divine comedy no less) and then ends the season being put on leave because of his actions, so it was a kind of death of the old Don Draper where he then was forced to reinvent himself or be reborn, and so he does it by sharing his past with his children.

As evident with the new episode though, killing the old Don isn't an easy thing to do, but he definitely grew as a result of being put on leave and accepting his children into a very personal and private part of his life.

Yeah I mean looking back the idea of Don actually committing suicide or at least attempting to wouldn't make much sense, considering Lane in season 5. It'll be interesting to see where Don's head is at for the rest of the season, especially in light of Rachels death having such a seemingly profound effect on him, like some sort of reckoning maybe?

One thing I did enjoy though was Don talking about his childhood home and changing the whores to boarders haha.

Maengun1

I always am a little unsettled by the premieres (not in a bad way). It's almost like you have to catch up to their lives in progress and you're on the outside looking in and kind of fake your way until you have everything down.

Yes, exactly! It's always a good idea to watch the premieres twice. You just get dropped right in the middle of it and have to catch up yourself.

I'm just salivating at Ken's revenge. But I'm also sad we haven't yet any gotten closure on Lou. Unless of course, he ends up at McCann. But fuck yeah, Ken!

Episode felt like déjà vu. Everybody back in the same building again, just with uglier hair and moustaches. Don back to the same routine, kind of thought he was only puzzled by the waitress because she kinda looked like Rachel

Good episode. Intrigued about how his kids are doing

CassSept

Don really cut down on alcohol, huh. The last time he was single and was whoring around he was also drunk all the time (well, until he went overboard in Waldorf Stories, which is also when he stopped screwing everything in proximity). I think he was almost sober the entire episode, which didn't happen often in the past. (e: ok, he did have a glass of wine with the blonde but by Don's/show's standards that's pretty much sober)

Don is seeing death everywhere. Spooky.
I really like the word spooky

kingocfs

OH MY GOD

Now I know why Stevie (Peggy's date) was so familiar. He's the guy who played Brian on My So-Called Life!

After the Gilmore Girls and Freaks and Geeks appearances, it's become abundantly clear that casting is a fan of 90s teen dramas.

Lol fuuuck.

OH MY GOD

Now I know why Stevie (Peggy's date) was so familiar. He's the guy who played Brian on My So-Called Life!

WWWWHHHHHAAAAATTTTTTT????

Great episode, but it really felt more like something that would be in the middle of the season outside of a few things rather than the season openers we've had before. I'm still pissed AMC split the season.

Has any season of the show time jumped half way through?

If not, then I don't see how you can blame AMC for giving us the gift of mustache.

Dany

Banned
Well Betty was very pregnant with the third baby and there was a jump in a season finale where she left him and the baby was a toddler

Wait. Or was that Breakign bad?

Fatalah

Thought about Ken last night. I imagine Ken went home, told his wife about his firing, and then she motivated him to stick it to the agency.

The opening... Don holding the Greek coffee cup analyzing furs. Sterling Cooper discovered Don at a fur store owned by a Greek man. (Gus taught Don how to sell)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Peggy asking Joan if she wanted to get lunch and then immediately context switching was so god damn perfect. I never see moments like that on TV.

Mad Men GIFs are unquestionably the best.

IronRinn

Thought about Ken last night. I imagine Ken went home, told his wife about his firing, and then she motivated him to stick it to the agency.

Doubt it.

Yeah, I imagine she was pretty pissed when he said he was going to work for Dow. I loved the idea of Ken sticking it to them like that, but it's the kind of spiteful thing that probably hurts him more than anyone in the long run. Dude will probably be miserable.

Awww, Rachel. :-(

Rachel was Don's soul mate, at least from his perspective. Don, however, was not Rachel's, and he finally figured it out in this episode.

Ken is clearly a talented writer and would be a successful one if he did it full-time, but he likes working in advertising more than he admits. Unlike others, I can't be sad that he's not leaving the industry when I think he really does enjoy it. As his wife pointed out, he can leave any time he wants, but he keeps staying. If he ends up being miserable, maybe he's just the type that gets off on misery. He is a writer, after all.

Kraftwerk

Woah..I had a surreal Mad Men dream last night. Someone interpret it.

It started with a waiter standing on a tiny iceberg. He kneels down and uses a glass to grab chunks of ice from the water. Camera zooms out and he is in Antarctica. The iceberg is attached to a large cruise ship via a rope. He put a the glass on the rope, and it glides towards the ship. Another waiter grabs it, pours a drink in it and passes it to Don Draper.

It's very cold, but everyone is wearing just suits and dresses. Don walks around a hit, and this woman asks him "pleasant weather, no?". Don doesn't respond, and keeps walking around.

He then comes up to Meagan. She is wearing a yellow dress with some kind of fur coat. Don drops the drink, and starts doing these weird hand signals.

This song starts playing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBVcuinfZ4c

Camera slowly zooms out and fades to black.

I woke up and haven't slept since. Am I going to die?

Pillville

My guess is that the waitress is the daughter of one of the prostitutes he grew up with.

That's why he kind of recognizes her, and it looks like she's carrying on the family business.

Awww, Rachel. :-(

Rachel was Don's soul mate, at least from his perspective. Don, however, was not Rachel's, and he finally figured it out in this episode.

Ken is clearly a talented writer and would be a successful one if he did it full-time, but he likes working in advertising more than he admits. Unlike others, I can't be sad that he's not leaving the industry when I think he really does enjoy it. As his wife pointed out, he can leave any time he wants, but he keeps staying. If he ends up being miserable, maybe he's just the type that gets off on misery. He is a writer, after all.

Listen Up Ken

My guess is that the waitress is the daughter of one of the prostitutes he grew up with.

That's why he kind of recognizes her, and it looks like she's carrying on the family business.

I think people are reading too much into it. Of course I could be wrong but I think it was just Don projecting the image of Rachel onto someone else with the hopes of gaining some sort of insight/closure/connection with her after her passing.

Explains why he'd dream of Rachel after he sees her and why he is drawn to her after he hears of her passing.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Yes, exactly! It's always a good idea to watch the premieres twice. You just get dropped right in the middle of it and have to catch up yourself.

Yeah, I usually try to watch each episode twice :) I also prefer waiting until after it airs so I can skip the commercials. Makes it easier for the mind not to wander.

ultron87

It is an interesting choice to start this last half season with Don reflecting on the very first relationship we saw develop for him on the show. Of all the women over the show Rachel always did seem like the closest thing to the perfect one for him. Or at least that was what he thought. Don blew that by trying to get her to run away from problems with him, in classic Don fashion. I'd originally thought they were trying to say that Don was finally in a place that that relationship could've worked, albeit far too late, but the rest of the episode showed that he has barely changed at all.

I'd never really thought about Don still lacking closure on that relationship over the entire show. It is interesting to frame everything that has come in between into that idea. Now I'm thinking stuff like whether he married Megan so quickly because she superficially reminded him of Rachel.

I wonder how many of these final eps Jessica Paré will appear in.

I'd be perfectly fine with very few Megan appearances from this point forward. I like the character more then a lot of people do, but I don't think we need significantly more closure with the character than what we got with her at the end of Waterloo.

I am super excited to read more Mad Style. It is by far my favorite piece of television writing on the Internet.

It's phenomenal.

I have very little personal interest in fashion, but they're so incredibly good at pointing out the ongoing visual metaphors and motifs at play.

Top Bottom