• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'll miss the hilarious fake endings.

BLywFFf.png

Hg5or0V.jpg

Opto

Banned
Don's gonna dig up the prostitute that took his virginity and crawl into her grave, Freudian style.

Joan tells Pete to kill the three creeps at McCann. He does so while wearing a kilt shouting, "the King ordered it!"

Scout's Honor become a massive success, overtaking Disney. But what happens when Scout starts telling Lou that the world is going to end?

kirblar

IPeggy also makes a lot of sense. She pulled herself up from one of the most damning things that could happen to a young lady of that time (a child out of wedlock), fought against misogyny and showed all of her bosses that she means business. That the world described to her isn't enough, so she will make her own way. Roger reminds her to be herself, hence the awesome entrance. It gives us, the viewer, that despite her having to deal with everything Joan is dealing with, Peggy will be fine.
One nice subtle touch in the scene with Joan- it shows us that Peggy's department already has women there.

Wool

I want a Sopranos ending v2.0. All the main characters are having a drink in someone's office, a song kicks in, then
black screen.

Alpende

I think this was my favorite episode of season 7B. Peggy and Sterling interacting was great, Peggy being a baller in the hallway was amazing. Don getting out of there was cool too. I have no idea what they're gonna do with the finale.

hamchan

I wonder if Don will ever set foot in that office again.

Also David Bowie credits music, amazing.

God I just thought of a depressing thing. Don went to visit Betty and his kids because he knows that's the last time he'll ever see them.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

God I just thought of a depressing thing. Don went to visit Betty and his kids because he knows that's the last time he'll ever see them.

I don't think he's coming back. Also that great scene with him and Betty felt like a goodbye :( . I really don't know what is coming up, it is quite exciting and depressing. I really hope the Diana character justifies itself.

Don's going west (St Paul, where the hippy asked to go, is west of Wisconsin, isn't it?). Diana mentioned she was thinking of either New York or San Fransisco. So there's always the chance Don ends up in
Colorado. Weiner, you sick fuck.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Couple of things:

- Don testing the windows didn't feel like a nod to the intro to me more than it felt like an animal testing the walls of its new cage for the first time. Backed up by then looking into the sky and the plane free as a bird.

- Was the girl behind the door actually another "I SEE DEAD PEOPLE" situation? Not sure anyone other than Don interacted with her, and the waitress told so many lies so quickly I was confused by whether she'd just ditched another live daughter back home or not.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
- Don testing the windows didn't feel like a nod to the intro to me more than it felt like an animal testing the walls of its new cage for the first time. Backed up by then looking into the sky and the plane free as a bird.

So much this. A lot of the reviews and comments I've seen have been like "window like he's gonna die?! airplane like db cooper theory?!"

But it's pretty clear that it's The Cage for Don, as he hears about Joe Everyman in Wisconsin sluggin' beer, here's where I am, there's where I could be, used to be.

phanphare

Banned
Couple of things:

- Was the girl behind the door actually another "I SEE DEAD PEOPLE" situation? Not sure anyone other than Don interacted with her, and the waitress told so many lies so quickly I was confused by whether she'd just ditched another live daughter back home or not.

she was real I'm pretty sure

Diana eventually said that she had two daughters, one dead and one still living

Super depressing episode. I'm so bummed for Joan, but also thankful to have been born a generation after this time period. I can't imagine losing an entire career, just because you don't want to be forced to sleep with a coworker. Gross.

maybe Joan's reputation precedes her. you'd have to think somebody like Jim Hobart would have heard rumblings about her shenanigans with Jaguar.

I fee like that was the last time Don and Betty are going to be in a scene together.. My dream of them ending up back together is completely over....

Interesting... but I thought the reason he went over there was to drive Sally to school, and Betty told him she already got a ride with a friend, so he might not have been saying goodbye, I say might not because given the end of the most episode its quite possible he will never return.

Daigoro

fuck that was a great episode!

this show is top fucking tier. always has been. i really cant think of a show that bests it. i cant believe so many people i know either dont watch or have tuned out. makes no sense.

i cant believe its going to end.

Nameless

It only lasted a few seconds, and not a word was said, but Ted's genuine smile and slight chuckle when he realizes what Don is doing was an amazing moment and perfect way to cap off their relationship.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I feel for Don.

Watching that meeting was excruciating. So many people. So many sheep. I wanted him to leave and he did.

I feel like this the idea of Don that keeps getting perpetuated both by viewers and characters within the show and yet he spends far more time walking off, being drunk, clashing with clients, clashing with coworkers and having melt downs than he does actually being a player within the advertising world. He's like a baseball player who's batting .175 yet everyone thinks of the time he hit that one homer and ignores the rest.

None of the characters would be where they are right now if it weren't for Don's initiative, insight, and tutelage. Their current position is the result of a series of chain events, all of which originated from Don's brilliant, inspiring, and unconventional actions. You could argue that he isn't a leader, because his motives are selfish, but his ambitions inherently depend on the cooperation or compliance of others, and ultimately their career successes and ascension are pegged to his. Peggy wouldn't have been much beyond a secretary without Don. Roger and Peter would be mopping about miserably under McCann Erickson earlier and for a lot longer had Don not orchestrated the mass exile from Puttnam, Powell, and Lowe. Joan would be working at the clothing store still, had she not been summoned back to help with the creation of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce.

Don isn't a leader? I disagree.

I wonder if that scene with Roger will be the last we see of Joan. It would be a depressing but fitting end to her arc. Still only a half winner after all that hard work in a male world.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I feel like us seeing Don's social security card and cash was a very important and crucial frame. Why did such a small detail matter so much? Will Don escape his life and return to being Dick...or maybe even...someone else?

What is the statute of limitations on something like this anyway?

big ander

I feel like us seeing Don's social security card and cash was a very important and crucial frame. Why did such a small detail matter so much? Will Don escape his life and return to being Dick...or maybe even...someone else?

What is the statute of limitations on something like this anyway?

Well we saw "his" ss card and Megan's ring/Anna's ring. I don't think it was to hint he'd be changing identities again--I find that theory about as likely as the "don/pete falls out a window and becomes the opening titles!!!" line of thinking--but just to show these items of great significance to him. In changing over to McCann he's contemplating whether any of the work he's done for decades to define himself as a person was worth anything, or if he's been swallowed up by the machine despite his efforts.

Top Bottom