• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Gobias

Banned
This is random but I actually had a small scare the moment Don enters the Baurs house. I was glancing somewhere else when it happened and the girl suddenly appearing behind the door was mildly unsettling.

6fk7Z8u.gif

It looked like a scene from The Omen or something

jett

D-Member
This is random but I actually had a small scare the moment Don enters the Baurs house. I was glancing somewhere else when it happened and the girl suddenly appearing behind the door was mildly unsettling.

6fk7Z8u.gif

She's been dead for 10 years.

Shauni

Don's gonna cruise around and run into Sally on a joyride.

Wait.

What if that's the last WE ever see of Don?

2 episodes of Roger

Didn't even think of that, but it'd be interesting way to go. Don just disappears for good, we and the other characters having no idea where he went. Highly doubt they'll go that way, though.

KarmaCow

I'm going to miss stuff like Roger and Peggy in the old skeleton of the office floor. It was just so effortless to get the two together like that even though I think that was the most they have ever interacted. It was a nice counterbalance to the rest of the depressing moments and waja in the rest of the episode.

Opto

Banned
What do we make of it that it was Roger and Peggy who were the duo who ultimately gave SCP it's send-off?

Roger is the last partner from the original Sterling Cooper, and Peggy is the break-out star that came from it. Also they came from completely different backgrounds but found a wonderful place that gave them meaning

Opto

Banned
Didn't even think of that, but it'd be interesting way to go. Don just disappears for good, we and the other characters having no idea where he went. Highly doubt they'll go that way, though.

Wiener likes making Don sad too much

Aiii

So not worth it
Moss being a Scientologist has kind of ruined my enjoyment of Peggy.

I probably shouldn't have watched all those documentaries and read those books on that cult. So many good actors that I can't unsee.

Anyway, sorry for the random aside. Loving this last half of the season and show, especially Don, I do hope he just ends up on a farm as Dick, living his life planting crops and riding horses. Sally swinging by for dinner on her way to uni.
probably not

nahlakhai

I think that's it for Joan on the series. As per the T&L review, her character's story and arc on the show ended the way it went throughout the years, all about sex and her affairs.

To me she represented feminism in its early days and Joan never reaches the pinnacle of it, but like every other sort of movement, she was a pioneer. Can't really blame her for selling out for $250k. The 50 cents on the dollar ending is the perfect metaphor for her.

Moss being a Scientologist has kind of ruined my enjoyment of Peggy.

She was raised in the church, which makes it a lot more complicated than people like Cruise or Travolta that converted. People in that position aren't so likely to speak out against the church, even if they don't feel any connection to it, or they risk straining family ties.

What do we make of it that it was Roger and Peggy who were the duo who ultimately gave SCP it's send-off?

It makes sense, given what the other major characters are doing/how they responded.

Pete was largely not in this episode, Joan was dealing with institutional misogyny, Don began his final journey, Cooper has been dead, same with Pryce, Ted Caugh has happy been absorbed into McCann (check out the symbolism with him just in the white shirt and tie vs Don in the suit), Sally has already been put on a bus, Megan went back to LA, and Betty was reading in her kitchen (but none of them were ever really involved with SC&P).

That leaves Roger and Peggy. Roger makes a lot of sense, his father founded the original Sterling Cooper. Other than his time in the Navy, Sterling Cooper (and later SCDP and SC&P) was his life and destiny. To see it rolled up and consumed has to cause him to ache (and drink).

Peggy also makes a lot of sense. She pulled herself up from one of the most damning things that could happen to a young lady of that time (a child out of wedlock), fought against misogyny and showed all of her bosses that she means business. That the world described to her isn't enough, so she will make her own way. Roger reminds her to be herself, hence the awesome entrance. It gives us, the viewer, that despite her having to deal with everything Joan is dealing with, Peggy will be fine.

The only kid we see him have much connection with is Sally, and she's gone.

I guess, I don't know, I mean you're right and all but Don skipping out on his family still seems like a shitty thing even despite only really having connection with Sally and not much of one with the other two.

Edit: I think there's a difference between Don not having much of a connection (except with Sally) and still seeing his kids occasionally versus him just never seeing them again. You know you can argue Don is a bad or flawed father or whatever because he's an absentee dad, but if were to skip out on his family he becomes worse is the way I see it I guess.

You should base your like for an actor's work on their personality anyway. They're playing parts, they are different people in real life than the image you probably have of them.

I don't understand the belief that Don is demonstrating suicidal tendencies/thoughts. In which instances is this demonstrated?

There are a few specific things from earlier in the series.

1) He's contemplating suicide in an S1 episode where he's sitting by train tracks, presumably thinking of driving in front of the train

2) He's called out for suicidal imagery in an ad in S6, where it looks like a guy in an ad is drowning himself.

KarmaCow

I don't understand the belief that Don is demonstrating suicidal tendencies/thoughts. In which instances is this demonstrated?

The first half of the season was filled with it both external and from Don himself like the elevator opening up to the empty shaft or his drowning ad, culminating in his breakdown during the pitch. This episode had him testing the window in his office but at this point I can see it more being the writers making a meta joke about people speculating about the show's opening credits.

Aiii

So not worth it
You should base your like for an actor's work on their personality anyway. They're playing parts, they are different people in real life than the image you probably have of them.

It's not that. It's that I see Moss now and think of Scientology. It's not really about like or personality. It's just what I think of when she comes on screen, probably not fair to her, but it is what it is.

I have the same with many other actors though. I mean, can anyone really look at Gibson nowadays and really forget what a scummy guy he is?

The first half of the season was filled with it both external and from Don himself like the elevator opening up to the empty shaft or his drowning ad, culminating in his breakdown during the pitch. This episode had him testing the window in his office but at this point I can see it more being the writers making a meta joke about people speculating about the show's opening credits.
I agree that it can be a meta joke as well, but my interpretation of this last episode and the window is that he approaches the window because there's a draft and he can hear the air coming in to his new office; to show dissatisfaction/annoyance and the differences about his new location and his life at this point versus what was familiar. No one is entirely contempt about the change. He never looks down, there's no contemplation.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I gotta say the Diana thing is so boring. I think it's a perfect storm of a downer of a character combined with an actress that is incapable of showing any hope in that bleakness that makes us wonder just what the hell is Don doing and why does the show keep coming back to it.

I don't know how to feel about Diana yet. I trust that the entire thing will become clear(er) by the time the curtain closes, but right now the whole situation is a bit of a question mark.

Altazor

you are a gentleman and a scholar.

The episode was great. I know the series hasn't been everybody's cup of tea lately (understandably so), but I find meaning and comfort even when I don't understand everything unfolding on screen. There's nothing quite like it on TV, actually - and for that (and many other things) I'll miss it.

Also, I've said it before on this very thread but hey, it's a new episode, a new review but it still deserves some comment: the AV Club review for this episode is stellar. Excellent write-up.

movie_club

Have not seen this mentioned yet but was a nice touch that Hobart said coca-cola to Don in the previous episode and literally every Creative Director at the lunch meeting had a Coke in their possession-

Just as they all are there to "take things up a notch"

"I hope you are finding things satisfactory"
Hobart parrots the party line of "the Soviets" as a female creative calls them to Don and Joan

Weiner kills me when he plays all coy and shit about the mysterious symbolism scenes like Don checking out the window above. People always present theories and then he downplays them every time and yet he keeps doing it.

Bless the man.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Don is such a flake. The only thing surprising about him is his ability to convince everyone around him that he's competent and a leader.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
He is amazing at his job when he does it. The carousel is still the defining moment of the show IMO.

I feel like this the idea of Don that keeps getting perpetuated both by viewers and characters within the show and yet he spends far more time walking off, being drunk, clashing with clients, clashing with coworkers and having melt downs than he does actually being a player within the advertising world. He's like a baseball player who's batting .175 yet everyone thinks of the time he hit that one homer and ignores the rest.

Shit, when was the last time we actually saw Don do his job?

Like, I have a hard time remembering him actually doing something creative on an account recently.

Like, I have a hard time remembering him actually doing something creative on an account recently.

Hmm, I'm not sure, but as creative director at least at scdp he still had input on all the work that came out of there I think, barring that though I don't think he's done any creative directly himself in a long time.

I feel like this the idea of Don that keeps getting perpetuated both by viewers and characters within the show and yet he spends far more time walking off, being drunk, clashing with clients, clashing with coworkers and having melt downs than he does actually being a player within the advertising world. He's like a baseball player who's batting .175 yet everyone thinks of the time he hit that one homer and ignores the rest.

Some of this is certainly true, but I can't even remember the last time he actually clashed with a client, his co workers sure but I can't recall him doing that with any clients and I'm thinking all the way back to say season 5.

As for melt downs yeah I can't argue there, but I don't think he's had enough to the point where one could say they happen all the time. There was the Hershey pitch and I think there was an episode in season 4 but beyond that I'm having trouble thinking of more incidents.

I don't really see how Don having these issues proves he's not talented, you can argue that him convincing others he's a leader is a fluke, but him actually being talented is a fluke at all. I think he's good (was good since he hasn't done creative directly in a long time?) at his job he's just terrible at working with other.s

Emarv

I think that's part of the irony of McCann getting him now that he's essentially checked out of whatever creative energy he had. He hasn't truly pitched anything exciting in a really long time and probably won't until he reinvents himself again.

Draper

Hitchhiker will be caught for desertion. They will pull up Don's record- commence Benny Hill theme as the cops chase Don up the floors of the McCann building until he jumps out one of the windows.

Weiner- DIDJU LIKE IT

JTripper

I think that's part of the irony of McCann getting him now that he's essentially checked out of whatever creative energy he had. He hasn't truly pitched anything exciting in a really long time and probably won't until he reinvents himself again.

It's almost as if Don being more aware of his struggles distracts him and clouds any of his efforts to do something truly creative or productive.

It's almost as if Don being more aware of his struggles distracts him and clouds any of his efforts to do something truly creative or productive.

Good point it probably doesn't help either that the agency has so many creative directors so that Don just feels like one color in a box of a hundred.

Really sad episode, everytime he goes to Betty's house it's like he keeps seeing what he's missing

And God damn Joan and Peggy worked so hard to get where they were and it's all gone to shit now. Peggy acting all cool at the end but she'll see what's up

Keri

Super depressing episode. I'm so bummed for Joan, but also thankful to have been born a generation after this time period. I can't imagine losing an entire career, just because you don't want to be forced to sleep with a coworker. Gross.

I know I mentioned this before, and this isn't necessarily aimed at you JTripper, or anyone really, I'm just speaking generally but I don't think Don not making any pitches in a while really means much of anything. I mean yes I do think he's bored with his job and he's been coasting for a while, but the lack of pitches doesn't necessarily point to that.

He's a creative director which based on the name and what I've seen from the show, is a managerial role. Its possible Don spends most or least a good chunk of his time managing the work of others with his own input, making corrections giving advice things like that.

Personally I'd rather have more Don pitch scenes since they're fairly entertaining but considering Don's job it makes sense we don't see him making so many pitches now. Sometimes I think Don would function better as just a copywriter than a creative director since it would allow him to simply focus on developing his own ideas instead of managing others. That's just my 2 cents. though.

Top Bottom