• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm way, way behind on the show... but I'm somewhat familiar with where things have gone since I last watched it. I know the agency got bought out. Are they still in the building with the faulty elevator that Don almost fell down? Because part of me always felt from the moment I watched that scene that it might happen again.

Dany

Banned
I'm way, way behind on the show... but I'm somewhat familiar with where things have gone since I last watched it. I know the agency got bought out. Are they still in the building with the faulty elevator that Don almost fell down? Because part of me always felt from the moment I watched that scene that it might happen again.

Don is dead.

I'm hoping for an ending as polarizing as The Sopranos and Neon Genesis Evangelion. They've certainly set things up in a way where things can go pretty much anywhere.

Wool

This episode was amazing, but there were a ton of loose ends. His adventure in a small town in Oklahoma felt like that one episode where he was in California sleeping with a random girl in a mansion. What was the point of that shot of the girl by the pool? I assumed he was going to meet her at some point, but he didn't.

I'm hoping for an ending as polarizing as The Sopranos.

Yeah, especially considering Weiner came from The Sopranos I think it is going to be along those lines. Mad Men and Sopranos were both more about life and character development than plot points. We kind of jumped into the middle of a bunch of peoples lives at the beginning of Mad Men, we don't need some kind of official "end" to all of their stories. They are living life.

Betty's cancer thing was handled really well I thought. I always got the impression Henry and Betty's marriage was kind of loveless and a mistake, but this whole thing proved me wrong. Sally not knowing what to do when Henry cried was a great scene. Henry being shown as much shorter than the doctor was a great symbolic move. He's a big powerful politician, but at that moment there is nothing more he can do.

Also, I have always really enjoyed the Mad Men discussion threads. Crazy to think a lot of us have been watching and discussing the show "together" for years on here. I never would have made the connections that you all make (like the Kansas thing with Pete/Don) and I appreciate it all. Thanks to Cornballer for all the links and things too.

Dany

Banned
This episode was amazing, but there were a ton of loose ends. His adventure in a small town in Oklahoma felt like that one episode where he was in California sleeping with a random girl in a mansion. What was the point of that shot of the girl by the pool? I assumed he was going to meet her at some point, but he didn't.

Don in the past would of acted and done something. But he left that part of himself 'go' awhile ago. We've seen don ogle and sweet talk plenty of ladies but he's past that I think.

TVexperto

Also, I have always really enjoyed the Mad Men discussion threads. Crazy to think a lot of us have been watching and discussing the show "together" for years on here. I never would have made the connections that you all make (like the Kansas thing with Pete/Don) and I appreciate it all. Thanks to Cornballer for all the links and things too.

Can you elaborate on that? I missed that connection.

Wool

Can you elaborate on that? I missed that connection.

I'm just paraphrasing some other peoples ideas, but:

Pete made a comment at the restaurant about the steaks being flown in straight from Kansas, which is where Don is right now.

Pete got offered a job and is planning on moving to Wichita, Kansas to start fresh. Don kind of already decided to start fresh and is already out that way.

Pete's dad was killed in a plane crash. Pete just got a job at an airline that includes free flights. The song that played while Don was sitting on the bench by a farm field was by Buddy Holly, who was killed in a plane crash in a farm field.

Don was staring out the window at a plane when he walked out of that meeting at the McCann office.

Somebody a couple pages back said that "Don is literally and figuratively ahead of the times" in comparison to Pete, who is starting to adopt Don's way of thinking and planning on going to same place.

Lots of other less related examples too. Last season (I think), Ted Chaough was flying some clients in his plane and momentarily turned off the engine.

I have no idea what is going to happen in the next episode, but this episode did some heavy foreshadowing of Don and Pete running into each other in Kansas and/or one or both of them dying in a plane crash. The whole show has constantly foreshadowed people's deaths without it happening, but this is the last episode, so anybody could die.

Wool

I want to add my personal prediction for fun:

-Don talks to Sally on the phone and finds out Betty is sick. He makes arrangements to fly home.

-Pete finalizes plans to move to Wichita and makes arrangements to fly there (without Trudy) to look into buying a home.

-Some other stuff happens between the characters from the office, wrapping up their stories. I have no idea what.

-Pete and Don's planes crash into each other, both of them die.

-Funeral in New York takes place. All of the main characters from the show are there. They are at the cemetery about to lower the casket. It's raining, people have umbrellas. Everybody is mingling. Harry has a line for comedic relief about the type of food they're going to have at the reception. Stan, Peggy, and Joan talk, etc.

-Roger talks about Don's life and what he meant to everyone. It is amazing and summarizes everything about Don. As he is wrapping up, a song starts to play (possibly "Frank Sinatra - My Way") and credits roll.

I want to see the return of douche-bag Ted from Season 4. "How do you spell that?".

if they do flash forwards, i want to see Megan as a guest on The Muppet Show.

I want to see the return of douche-bag Ted from Season 4. "How do you spell that?".

if they do flash forwards, i want to see Megan as a guest on The Muppet Show.
I think a lot of people forgot how douchey Ted was. I like him a lot now too but he made for a great heel. And Peggy loved him, too.

I'd love to have a recast Bobby for the last episode.

H7eFilY.gif

I am so curious to see what Mad Men's very last closing song will be - American Pie's definitely one I could see Weiner going for.

We discussed it earlier in the thread and it seems way too big and obvious a pick. Not to say Weiner hasn't gone big and obvious before, but I dunno. I don't see it.

American Pie is one of the worst songs they could pick. They might as well use The End at the end if they want to screw up the final moments of the show.

Kacar

Honestly feel like this last episode will be all Don. For at least until something happens to make him go back. I'm just not sure how an only Don episode would go over.

Pete, Peggy, Joan, Ken, Stan, Betty, Sally, and Ted have all had very good sendoffs if those were to be the last scenes for those characters. Roger's would be a little disappointing to me because I would love some more of him and Don together. But their last scene in that bar was amazing, "you will be okay" or something like that and he kissed him on the forehead. But him on the organ in skeleton SCP was pretty incredible.

As for the ending I have absolutely no idea where it's going.

maharg

idspispopd
Always a fun watch: The Dick Whitman Chronicles - every Dick flashback, in chronological order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhYTRYjPWdk

(I forgot about Hamm's choice to make Dick high-pitched in the Korea flashbacks)

Nice. Great recap. I'd forgotten a bunch of this.

Interesting, too, in that it highlights just how incredibly lucky he was. Lucky to get out of Korea quickly, which is the obvious one, but then also incredibly lucky that Anna found him (because without someone who knew and accepted who he was, he'd have self-destructed way before he did), and then that he was able to confuse Roger into hiring him.

Timbuktu

Nice. Great recap. I'd forgotten a bunch of this.

Interesting, too, in that it highlights just how incredibly lucky he was. Lucky to get out of Korea quickly, which is the obvious one, but then also incredibly lucky that Anna found him (because without someone who knew and accepted who he was, he'd have self-destructed way before he did), and then that he was able to confuse Roger into hiring him.

I forgot how deliberate it was that his took Don's dogtag from his body, what if he didn't do that, would he still be sent home with a purple heart?

I also forgot that Joan's been at the agency before Don was and would have seen his quick rise from his first day at the office. That stupid smile he had when he got into the elevator with Roger is very Dick though.

maharg

idspispopd
I forgot how deliberate it was that his took Don's dogtag from his body, what if he didn't do that, would he still be sent home with a purple heart?.

Maybe, but probably not. His injuries weren't debilitating, and he'd only started his tour. I would think he probably still would have gotten the purple heart, but he got sent home because the real Donald Draper was almost done.

Always a fun watch: The Dick Whitman Chronicles - every Dick flashback, in chronological order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhYTRYjPWdk

(I forgot about Hamm's choice to make Dick high-pitched in the Korea flashbacks)

Dialogue is so good. "You got your whole life ahead of you, forget that boy in the box. Let me buy a soldier a drink."

And it's hilarious how much he looks like Puddy from Seinfeld when he was selling cars.

Edit: Don getting hired might be my favorite scene.

Length Poniewozik feature over on Time.com:

- The Time Machine: How Mad Men Rode the Carousel of the Past into Television History
So this is what we need to ask about Mad Men before we ask anything else. What’s the benefit? It’s a show about advertising, of course. (The “Mad” is short for Madison Avenue, the center of the advertising business.) It’s a show about sex and gender roles. It’s a period drama, a historical tour of upheaval. It’s a serial about secrets: stolen identities and secret pregnancies and office intrigue. It’s a love story, and sometimes a hate story. That’s the literal, pitch-meeting description—what you might say to someone who had never watched the show before.

But what is it really?

Well, let’s start with Don’s answer. Mad Men is a kind of time machine, but it’s a complicated one. It doesn’t go in only one direction. You start watching and it takes you to the past—early 1960—when you can smoke in any restaurant and doctors are just starting to prescribe the Pill. It moves forward: the Kennedy-Nixon campaign, Camelot, the Moon landing. But it also transports you from there to Don’s childhood as Dick Whitman in the Depression. It flashes to the Korean War, when the aimless orphan seizes the chance to reinvent himself, Gatsby-like, by stealing the identity of a fallen comrade (killed in an accident involving, natch, a cigarette lighter). It reminds us that the past has its own past. It moves, as Don says of the Carousel, “backwards and forwards.”

At the same time, Mad Men is very deliberately a story about our present. Creator Matthew Weiner is notoriously exacting about the show’s immersive period detail, yet surprisingly, as he explains in a series of interviews in 2014 while making the shows final season, he’s highly conscious of current events when he writes. When sketching the mood of the later seasons, set amid the assassinations and upheaval of the late 1960s, he says he was thinking of present-day America. “People were exhausted and terrified by the economic disaster of the last few years,” Weiner says. “They had low self-esteem and they were anxious about our place in the world.”

But maybe Mad Men’s most distinctive function is that it’s a time-lapse machine. Its most simple but radical premise has been to say: Here is what it looks like, how it feels, for ten years of life to pass. (Though the show could still flash forward before it ends—it’s not as if Weiner is telling—it’s run from 1960 to 1970 so far.) Most TV series distend time, deny it, cheat it. M*A*S*H took 11 years to fight a three-year war. Bart Simpson remains in grade school even though, as a character born in 1987, he is old enough to be his own father.

Mad Men, on the other hand, has covered about a decade of its time in about a decade of our own. We see hair grow longer, hemlines shorter. Paul Kinsey’s blazers give way to Stan Rizzo’s fringe jackets. Weiner has talked often about Don being a representation of American society, steeped in sin, haunted by his past but always asking the question: Why am I doing this again? Sexual liberation and feminism arrive, but the show is deeper than the sex—it’s about human experience and human nature and time unfolding. The children grow up (including four—count ’em, four—actors playing Bobby Draper). The colors get more saturated, the social mores more extreme. The cultural power shifts toward youth. The creatives are pitching TV storyboards, not text-heavy print ads. Characters get prosperous, get fat, get lost. It’s a potent effect: Just like in life, you don’t notice the gradual changes until you look back and—holy cow—how far have they come? How far have we? Where has the time gone, besides into the creases of our foreheads?

The last time I talked to Weiner, in December 2014, he was dealing with the passage of time physically: cleaning out his memorabilia-laden production office. (“There are a lot of liquor bottles! I don’t know what I’m going to do with it.”) Mad Men’s finale was already locked down by then. He, naturally, was not saying much about it—except that he hopes it feels like an ending.
Much more via the link.

EDIT: Wow, this is really long. It includes interviews from late 2014, a critical look at every season, and a lot more.

wbsmcs

Has everyone who knew about Don's secret died or is in the process of dying?

His brother
Bert
Betty
Anna
...Pete in the series finale?

Did Megan know about it though? I can't remember if he ever told her, and am I missing anyone else who knows about it?

I guess if I had to grab a big pop hit to close out the show - I'd go with "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye. Although I guess that depends on whether or not the show skips forward into 1971.

Although the more I think about this, the more I don't want to think about this, because it'll end up being a situation where I'm watching the show, and whatever the song is that starts playing, I'll get pulled out of the moment because the first thought will be "oh shit, so-and-so won the betting pool"

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

His brother
Bert
Betty
Anna

Did Megan know about it though? I can't remember if he ever told her, and am I missing anyone else who knows about it?

Megan knows.

His brother
Bert
Betty
Anna

So does Sally, i think.

New fanfiction ending:

-All Don episode, continuing his adventure out west. Has surreal/Lynchian interactions with characters whose personality or appearance mirror that of people from SC&P (maybe even using the same actors)
-Makes it to the grand canyon and runs into Faye Miller, now a divorcee or widow with a child of her own who is visiting the park
-They go to dinner and he calls Sally, finds out Betty has died
-She uses her psycho powers to console him through the most soul barringly epic and emotional breakdown monologue of all time, she helps him realize he is no longer Dick or Don and doesn't need to run or prove himself anymore
-Ending shot is him talking to Faye at the airport about calling her as soon as he gets to NYC and giving her a kiss before walking into the plane bridge
-Cut to black, ending song "This Time Tomorrow" by The Kinks

Dany

Banned
Length Poniewozik feature over on Time.com:

- The Time Machine: How Mad Men Rode the Carousel of the Past into Television HistoryMuch more via the link.

EDIT: Wow, this is really long. It includes interviews from late 2014, a critical look at every season, and a lot more.

“There’s not going to be a lot of flashing back to earlier in the show, which I know was really delightful for people in Breaking Bad,” he says. “But we tried to leave everybody in a place where you’d say, ‘Okay, that’s where they are. I think I know what their future’s going to be like.’ I’m an entertainer, and I wanted a sense of closure. But it’s hard, because my personal take on that is different from other people’s. I apologize for that in advance.”

What is he talking about and is this mean to be a dis? lol Like the random flashbacks of Gus or Walt in the RV?

What is he talking about and is this mean to be a dis? lol Like the random flashbacks of Gus or Walt in the RV?

No, it's just an acknowledgement that it doesn't fit with Mad Men the same way.

BB liked to close loops and was very structurally self-aware, Mad Men is generally more naturalistic (and the flashbacks to pre 1960 were some of the worst received parts of the show, too).

I think he's saying not all of the characters will have definitive endings, and the ending to show itself will be more open than Breaking Bad. The plots are structured completely different.

Top Bottom