• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Imm0rt4l

ice cold
tumblr_no62seHkF51u3wi33o1_400.jpg

Next week is gonna be so tough.

I gota hearty laugh out of this

Poor Birdie

W...T...F....

Is there any fucking happiness? I fully expect pete to get hit by a train in the last episode since his story looks to be actually looking like happily ever after.

And what the hell are doing Don? What's your angle?

George R.R. Martin would be proud.

This is episode was so small and personal after the multi threaded previous episode. I'm sure we'll see another scene with Peggy, but honestly after not seeing her for an episode, it felt like her "Deal With It" scene was her curtain call.

I nearly broke down completely at the scene where Sally is asked by Bobby if they can eat. You can see her realising that she now has to parent her brothers and hugs Gene as if she was his mother. She somehow keeps control of herself for their sake despite having just seen Betty for the first time since she found out from Henry.

Love this closing stretch of Don hitting out across the US, carrying less and less emotional and physical baggage with him as he goes (he even leaves his car to give a wayward young man a start and has a smile on his face, a call back to what he thinks he should have done for both Adam and Danny). He even lets loose part of his closest secret about what happened in Korea. McCann, and Jim Hobart, can get stuffed.

And Pete's got a second chance himself, courtesy of Duck Phillips and turning up at Trudy's at 4am - "don't waste it". I wonder if we see him again. Honestly I have no idea who'll be playing a big role in the final episode other than Don.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I nearly broke down completely at the scene where Sally is asked by Bobby if they can eat. You can see her realising that she now has to parent her brothers and hugs Gene as if she was his mother. She somehow keeps control of herself for their sake despite having just seen Betty for the first time since she found out from Henry.

Love this closing stretch of Don hitting out across the US, carrying less and less emotional and physical baggage with him as he goes (he even leaves his car to give a wayward young man a start and has a smile on his face, a call back to what he thinks he should have done for both Adam and Danny). He even lets loose part of his closest secret about what happened in Korea. McCann, and Jim Hobart, can get stuffed.

And Pete's got a second chance himself, courtesy of Duck Phillips and turning up at Trudy's at 4am - "don't waste it". I wonder if we see him again. Honestly I have no idea who'll be playing a big role in the final episode other than Don.

I mentioned the Sally thing a few posts earlier, as well. Also, she sat in Betty's seat at the dinner table when she hugged Gene.

Regarding the final episode, have we closed out nearly everyone's arcs? I suspect there will be some small final closure moments for Pete, Peggy, and maybe Joan. But I believe Don will receive the most screen time of any character in the entire episode by far.

Pete and Joan dont really need anymore. Maybe even Peggy too since her place in the company can perhaps be inferred by the company head's (sorry, forgot his name) last exchange with Joan

Edit: yeah I need another Don and Sally moment, they've become my favorite interactions in this series

danm999

I expect we will see Peggy again next week, but I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't. I also got the impression that half of Joan's problem at McCann was that she was in accounts, the biggest boys club around, whilst in creative Peggy would be less of an uphill battle.

big ander

I expect we will see Peggy again next week, but I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't. I also got the impression that half of Joan's problem at McCann was that she was in accounts, the biggest boys club around, whilst in creative Peggy would be less of an uphill battle.
Definitely part of it, but Joan also never could deal with problems the way Peggy has. I think Seitz's review of that episode talked about how her only action was to keep taking her issues to higher-up men, rather than intelligently maneuvering around them. It felt like she could've asked Don for advice, or been harsher to Ferg forcing him to go to Hobart. She's up on feminist activity but, like Betty in a way, old-fashionedness is ingrained. She can't put her independence into action as well as Peggy.

I was thinking Don had to go on an adventure alone or this half of the season would be dead to me. I didn't care about anything happening at all.

danm999

Definitely part of it, but Joan also never could deal with problems the way Peggy has. I think Seitz's review of that episode talked about how her only action was to keep taking her issues to higher-up men, rather than intelligently maneuvering around them. It felt like she could've asked Don for advice, or been harsher to Ferg forcing him to go to Hobart. She's up on feminist activity but, like Betty in a way, old-fashionedness is ingrained. She can't put her independence into action as well as Peggy.

It's a pattern that's repeated itself pretty consistently on the show honestly. Joan's reaction to a sexist cartoon is to rage against it, but bottle it up and move on, whilst Peggy fires the guy.

kirblar

Pete and Joan dont really need anymore. Maybe even Peggy too since her place in the company can perhaps be inferred by the company head's (sorry, forgot his name) last exchange with Joan

Edit: yeah I need another Don and Sally moment, they've become my favorite interactions in this series
Peggy's in a department that's already got women in the ranks. And she doesn't plan to stay there long-term anyway.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I could have sworn that there was a cancer scare previously with her.

In any case, it was sad that Sally read the letter. :/

Hazmat

I could have sworn that there was a cancer scare previously with her.

In any case, it was sad that Sally read the letter. :/

There was. Also, I rewatched last week's episode, and Don notices Betty seeming weak or sore, and she dismisses it as having carried a lot of books while registering for classes. I didn't give it a second thought at the time.

I want a time jump, with Don, who is now Dick Whitman again, comes back to New York to see what he miss.

So that way we get a nice epilogue on what happens to everyone. He could come after Betty's death, and Sally hates him for bailing out on them when she and her brothers needed him the most.

I want a time jump, with Don, who is now Dick Whitman again, comes back to New York to see what he miss.

So that way we get a nice epilogue on what happens to everyone. He could come after Betty's death, and Sally hates him for bailing out on them when she and her brothers needed him the most.

Why wouldn't he come to Betty's funeral even, unless Sally decided not to tell him. We already saw him call Sally in this most recent episode to tell her where he was at, chances are he'll call her again, I would assume Sally would mention that Betty was dying at that point. I don't know a part of me could see him unfortunately abandoning his kids, but at the same time I wonder if he would really do that. Abandon his kids when they would need him most even if he Dick Whitman again, whatever that mean.

Why wouldn't he come to Betty's funeral even, unless Sally decided not to tell him. We already saw him call Sally in this most recent episode to tell her where he was at, chances are he'll call her again, I would assume Sally would mention that Betty was dying at that point. I don't know a part of me could see him unfortunately abandoning his kids, but at the same time I wonder if he would really do that. Abandon his kids when they would need him most even if he Dick Whitman again, whatever that mean.
What I was thinking is he let go of being Don Draper entirely, including his children. Just build a new life somewhere. Something like what the waitress did.

I'm saying that would make an interesting finale.

It's going to end with a morose Don hopping on an American Airlines flight to Hawaii. A hostess will offer Don a can of Coca Cola - which he refuses, instead taking her up on her alternative offer of Bacardi Rum. Then a drunk Don will begin carrying on, hitting on the waitress, before engaging in fisticuffs with a US Marshall (former Korea vet) trying to restrain him. Don gets a lucky strike in, sending the Marshall backward into the cockpit door - which doesn't hold because it's made out of Bethlehem Steel. The Marshall collapses on the gearstick, forcing the plane to bank too sharply to pull out from. The plane crashes into the ocean.

Weeks later, a passing freighter finds a scruffy cast away floating in the middle of the Atlantic in a London Fog inflatable life raft - bundled in the salvaged clothing of those dead from the crash. The crew check the man. It's Don. He's alive, barely conscious. They ask him his name. He looks down at the name-tag on one of the passenger coats he's salvaged.

CUT TO BLACK.

*THE REAL SLIM SHADY plays over credits*

Alpende

Man, someone on here posted that Betty seemed fine and her story would play normally and now this. That scene with Sally reading the letter was so good. I have no idea how this is gonna end. One more episode :(

Crud

Banned
It's going to end with a morose Don hopping on an American Airlines flight to Hawaii. A hostess will offer Don a can of Coca Cola - which he refuses, instead taking her up on her alternative offer of Bacardi Rum. Then a drunk Don will begin carrying on, hitting on the waitress, before engaging in fisticuffs with a US Marshall (former Korea vet) trying to restrain him. Don gets a lucky strike in, sending the Marshall backward into the cockpit door - which doesn't hold because it's made out of Bethlehem Steel. The Marshall collapses on the gearstick, forcing the plane to bank too sharply to pull out from. The plane crashes into the ocean.

Weeks later, a passing freighter finds a scruffy cast away floating in the middle of the Atlantic in a London Fog inflatable life raft - bundled in the salvaged clothing of those dead from the crash. The crew check the man. It's Don. He's alive, barely conscious. They ask him his name. He looks down at the name-tag on one of the passenger coats he's salvaged.

CUT TO BLACK.

Works for me!

CUT TO BLACK.

I really like him changing identities again, but would it be as easy to change identities 10 years later?

hamchan

The final scene will be Don on top of the Time-Life Building, throwing a pack of cigarettes and a glass of whiskey off the top as he embraces his life as a new man.

Cut to Don sleeping. In his dream he walks through the old SCDP offices in first person view and sees his father, Adam Whitman, Betty's Dad, The Original Don Draper, Anna Draper, Miss Blankenship, Lane Pryce, Bert Cooper, Rachel Katz, everyone else who has died in this series, all waving and acknowledging him, creating a path towards the stairs.

Finally he climbs the stairs in the SCDP office and there is Betty at the top waiting for him! They share one long kiss and the room explodes in applause. End credits.

Oh God, Betty.

Treating death like an opportunity to win back attention.

How did you get that at all, she didn't want any attention because of it, did you even watch the show? She left her last wishes to her daughter in a private envelope and didn't tell anyone else. What because she doesn't want treatment she's seeking attention? She's literally being the exact opposite of the attention whoring Betty she's been in the past.

The final scene will be Don on top of the Time-Life Building, throwing a pack of cigarettes and a glass of whiskey off the top as he embraces his life as a new man.

Cut to Don sleeping. In his dream he walks through the old SCDP offices in first person view and sees his father, Adam Whitman, Betty's Dad, The Original Don Draper, Anna Draper, Miss Blankenship, Lane Pryce, Bert Cooper, Rachel Katz, everyone else who has died in this series, all waving and acknowledging him, creating a path towards the stairs.

Finally he climbs the stairs in the SCDP office and there is Betty at the top waiting for him! They share one long kiss and the room explodes in applause. End credits.

You forgot the pan up and fade out at the end.

Didn't Pete's parents die in plane crash or something, now he's talking about getting his own private jet? Yeah we can leave his story at that and just imagine him going down in the middle of the ocean in 1981 or something.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Nah the reason for the plane connection is that Pete is embracing who he is (and what his father made him) but taking it and making it into something more, something meaningful. Planes went from being an unsatisfying end to an opportunity to rebuild his family. The episode (and recent development) was very clear that Pete was learning and growing, his meeting with his brother was surprisingly on the nose in expressing the Campbell family problem with dissatisfaction.

I think - unless the last episode changes anything - Pete was being completely sincere and had genuinely grown as a person. Pete, Betty, Sally and Don all did the same in their own ways through this episode. Of course, this goes against the general theme of Mad Men where characters repeat their mistakes, so it isn't clear cut how long Pete's growth would last.

Didn't Pete's parents die in plane crash or something, now he's talking about getting his own private jet? Yeah we can leave his story at that and just imagine him going down in the middle of the ocean in 1981 or something.

Pete's dad died in a plane crash, and his mother loved the sea.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Time skip five years. Tokyo, Japan.

Lou is in Japan putting the final touches to scout's honour. His secretary buzzes him. "Your 2 o clock with marketing is anytime now Mr Avery"

"Thanks Margaret" Lou responds, putting down his comic panels and dashing to the meeting.

He opens the door. Stood at the head of the table is his boss Mr Hiragi and, dressed in a black kimono, Don Draper.

"Konnichiwa Lou- chan"

"Draper!" Freeze frame on Lou's anguished face. The end.

Top Bottom