• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

phanphare

Banned
the real ending. this will happen after a mainly don-centric episode.

camera passes over a newly built subdivision, passing by the fronts of houses. the camera stops on a house with a station wagon in the drive way. a man wearing a bathrobe bends down to pick up the news paper. the camera pans up to reveal that it's pete. he picks up the newspaper and notices the camera. first he smirks at it then sort of stares blankly. cut to a shot of lane pryce in a suit, tie, and bowler firing a pistol at the screen multiple times. then cut back and show pete chuckle, turn around and close the door. credits.

CassSept

the real ending. this will happen after a mainly don-centric episode.

camera passes over a newly built subdivision, passing by the fronts of houses. the camera stops on a house with a station wagon in the drive way. a man wearing a bathrobe bends down to pick up the news paper. the camera pans up to reveal that it's pete. he picks up the newspaper and notices the camera. first he smirks at it then sort of stares blankly. cut to a shot of lane pryce in a suit, tie, and bowler firing a pistol at the screen multiple times. then cut back and show pete chuckle, turn around and close the door. credits.

tumblr_inline_mmx92uDBvG1qz4rgp.gif

You did it on purpose, huh

Gobias

Banned
Time skip five years. Tokyo, Japan.

Lou is in Japan putting the final touches to scout's honour. His secretary buzzes him. "Your 2 o clock with marketing is anytime now Mr Avery"

"Thanks Margaret" Lou responds, putting down his comic panels and dashing to the meeting.

He opens the door. Stood at the head of the table is his boss Mr Hiragi and, dressed in a black kimono, Don Draper.

"Konnichiwa Lou- chan"

"Draper!" Freeze frame on Lou's anguished face. The end.

If only we lived in a world this good.

For the final scene, I still have this idea of Don sitting down for a meal at the Francis household. Maybe Thanksgiving or another holiday. Betty still alive, but a sort of farewell meal. Maybe everyone reminiscing and Don finally feeling like he fits in somewhere. I can't imagine him abandoning his children. And I think Henry will want to be there for the Draper kids too. It would be too progressive for everyone to live together, but Don might buy a home near the Francis house.

For the final scene, I still have this idea of Don sitting down for a meal at the Francis household. Maybe Thanksgiving or another holiday. Betty still alive, but a sort of farewell meal. Maybe everyone reminiscing and Don finally feeling like he fits in somewhere. I can't imagine him abandoning his children. And I think Henry will want to be there for the Draper kids too. It would be too progressive for everyone to live together, but Don might buy a home near the Francis house.
I think Don and Betty have already had their 'goodbye' scene for the series, in episode 12. Rewatch their scene when Don goes to the Francis house to look for Sally. It totally feels like the last time they'll share the screen.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I finally got a chance to watch this last episode after being out of town, and wow. Easily one of the best in the series.

I've always kind of shit on Betty's character, just because she was kind of "there" and had no voice of her own or qualities that stood out besides her looks. That was her role and she played it well, but that could have been a circumstance of the times when she was with Don. It takes seeing the independence of her own daughter to realize she can be more than that, and she breaks out of that past and goes back to school to do what she wants and to be her own person. It's probably the happiest she's been, you could see it in the previous episode's kitchen scene with her and Don. And then she's hit with a death sentence. I actually admire the way she handled it, she already accepted her fate and didn't want to go out not being herself. It is somewhat sad that it took this to tell her how she admired the woman her daughter was turning out to be, but in the end Betty at least realized it. And that last shot of her going up the stairs was some masterclass shit. Could not have ended any better for her character's progression through out these years.

This is how you close out character arcs in a series, goddamn. It makes the wait for next week that much harder. I don't think there is going to be another drama that's going to touch this show in terms of consistent quality and writing for a long time.

The timing on this turn for Betty was particularly hard, as my mom died of cancer last Monday. This episode was the cherry on top of a mother's day where I spent most of my time trying not to think about the fact that it was mother's day. Henry's breakdown and Betty's letter... damn, Weiner.

i'm sorry to hear that. my mother passed from cancer back in 2011. she was diagnosed out of nowhere and gone within about 4 months. this was a tough episode for me to watch also--especially with it being mother's day. i teared up at several points. it gets easier as time goes on, but if i'm being honest it always sucks. hang in there.

jtb

Banned
Do you think we'll get another Peggy scene?

On one hand, she got the perfect send-off. On the other, she's the closest thing this series has to a protagonist that isn't Don... she was right there in the pilot... Would be a real shame if we don't get a final Don/Peggy scene to finish the show off.

What I was thinking is he let go of being Don Draper entirely, including his children. Just build a new life somewhere. Something like what the waitress did.

I'm saying that would make an interesting finale.

Gotcha, well it would be certainly be interesting, and it would connect back to Diana that's true. I guess we'll all see what happens soon enough though next Sunday.

KJA

I don't know why but the picture of Linus and Lucy in the background seemed perfectly placed in that scene.

Maybe Don will just get a job fixing things. He fixed Pete's sink, he fixed a few things at the motel, he was interested in fixing cars once when he was toying with staying in California.re.
I thought that was an ending that the showing was toying with this episode. He found a place where he was needed, where he could open up to a degree about his past, where he could just relax and enjoy being in the company of others, and where little was dangling just out of reach to encourage him to keep walking; much akin to (another AMC show which has the penultimate episode named "Granite State")
Breaking Bad, which could have ended in Walter's personal hell with a different ending to it's penultimate episode,
this easily could have served as the final episode where Don lives in a momentary heaven (admittedly that's overstating it) for him with a different course of events, he could have stayed in the motel meeting travellers, serving as a handy man, and bonding with the veterans, but things went to hell due to the hustler and that ending to Don was snatched. Maybe he will end up as a mechanic in some form elsewhere, I don't know, but I think that the motel is where that life had been leading, and that end to Don (serving as a mechanic) died as soon as he left the motel and didn't turn in the hustler.

Anyway, that was a phenomenal episode. I don't know what I want from the final or what is coming up. If it's an all-Don final I'd be content as he is the only character who really needs closure at this stage, and if not I will be equally happy. I want another Don and Peggy moment, but I don't think there's a need. The last time we saw Peggy says what we need to know about where she is going I feel, and sometimes things just don't work out in a way that makes meeting an old friend feasible. Pete and Trudy got quite a close, and while we could see either of then again, I don't see it as necessary (it's also fitting that the first episode begins as Pete has is stag party, and this appereance finally has him trying to commit to Trudy, with both of them now a little more wise). Joan's ending was very sad, but a fitting end. Roger's last appearance felt satisfactory. Bert is gone. Sally and the Draper/Francis children had a tragic yet acceptable conclusion. Megan's was fitting. Maybe if the episode isn't focused on one or two people in particular (and really, if multiple characters appear, I expect it to focus on Don and Peggy) we'll see more of everyone, but I'm content with where everyone is so far that there is no real need. Should Don return upon hearing of Betty's eventual demise? Certainly, but I don't know if he'll ever manage to hear the news or has enough resources to return with all that has transpired now, and the bitter dramatic irony is strong in having him fade away (not necessarily in a literal sense; I don't know if he will die and it's hard to say) without ever knowing at this point.

At this stage, the final truly is highly unpredictable, but based upon that episode and how this half-season has played out I'm very much looking forward to it. I didn't particularly enjoy Season 5 or 6 of Mad Men, and felt it lost something after the season 4 hiatus, but this season has been very strong.

Pryce

What I was thinking is he let go of being Don Draper entirely, including his children. Just build a new life somewhere. Something like what the waitress did.

I'm saying that would make an interesting finale.

There is no way he leaves his kids. Especially not with Betty now dying.

I'm most curious of what the final shot of the series will be. Weiner has said that he has known what the final image will be since very early on in the show.

Van Owen

Banned
How much money does Don actually have? I never can get a sense of how rich he is.

He gave Meghan a million like it was nothing, and presumably gave up millions leaving McCan the way he did....

Whoever was musing on the final shot being Glen in an Apache as Fortunate Son plays:
That seemed absurd when I first read it. But with a few weeks to mull it over, I'd be happy with this. It took thinking about how far creepy Glen has come to even seem appealing as a shot.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Final episode will be Cooper's ghost visiting each character to show how they end up while talking to the audience.

Man

The police stop at the beginning... it was because of car trouble? I thought it was a flash forward to the episode end at first.

stn

The only gripe I have with Don building a completely new identity is that it would make him a huge piece of shit. He'd essentially be ditching his kids. I wouldn't have any sympathy for him at that point.

How much money does Don actually have? I never can get a sense of how rich he is.

He gave Meghan a million like it was nothing, and presumably gave up millions leaving McCan the way he did....

I don't know exactly, but using Joan as an example:

She was due 1.5 million from the sale.

She claimed that she was still due .5 million.

So she had gotten 2/3s or her payout.

If Duck's comment re: "a couple of million" was 2 million, then Don would have been paid out 4 million, if the ratio is the same and the amount was right. He gave Megan a million, leaving him about 3.

There's a lot of assumptions in that, though. He also presumably had money from before the sale. Betty told him early on that he didn't understand money, so I wouldn't expect him to have been managing it well, but he also doesn't have huge expenses like a second home, boat, plane, or whatnot.

If he's got 3 million, that's about 18 M in modern dollars. Even if those assumptions above are wrong, he probably has a ton of cash. But not so much he couldn't blow it, especially with the 70s super-inflation coming. But he has modest tastes outside of travel and his wives, so he's probably good for life.

The only gripe I have with Don building a completely new identity is that it would make him a huge piece of shit. He'd essentially be ditching his kids. I wouldn't have any sympathy for him at that point.

Well he could always come back, especially after hearing the news about Betty, assuming he learns of it. You're right though, that would be pretty hard to forgive if that does happen.

BFIB

Since Pete's dad died in a plane crash, Pete now working for an airline company and gets to fly whenever he wants.

I think we know how Weiner completes this puzzle.

There's no way Don doesn't come back and touch base. Not only because the show began with the parallel stories of Don & Peggy, so it only makes sense they're going to end that way as well, but because no matter how much Don's rediscovery of himself seems to isolate him - he's still very much valuing his relationship with his children, and his relationship with his first ex-wife. There's nothing about the journey he's on now that would cause him to leave that behind him fully. Especially not since it's been established he KEEPS that lifeline to Sally open, on a weekly basis.

He's going to find out about Betty, and he's going to go back there for his daughter and sons. And while he's there, I can't imagine he won't meet up with Peggy somehow. Or even Roger.

big ander

finale to be a Paul Kinsey solo episode. none of his Star Trek specs have gotten any attention, he's desperate to make a mark as a screenwriter. One day he realizes his earlier life in advertising would make a good show. A television show about all these men, these ad men on Madison. He mumbles to himself "ad men, madison. madison men..." Close on his typewriter as the cover page rolls up: MAD MEN. Typewriter ding, cut to black.

AMC PR:
AMC CELEBRATES THE END OF AN ERA WITH UNIQUE “MAD MEN” ON-AIR CELEBRATION

Every Episode of the Award-Winning Series Will Air in Order Beginning with the Pilot Episode on Wednesday, May 13th at 6:00pm ET/PT, and Leading into the Series Finale on Sunday, May 17th at 10:00pm ET/PT

To Pay Homage to “Mad Men,” All of AMC’s Sister Networks – BBC AMERICA, IFC, SundanceTV and WE tv – Will Suspend Regular Programming and Air a Special Message in Honor of “Mad Men” Timed to the Series Finale on AMC

NEW YORK, NY – May 12, 2015 – In celebration of the iconic, award-winning series, and in anticipation of the final episode, AMC will air a marathon of all seven seasons of the entire “Mad Men” series, which is produced by Lionsgate, in consecutive order beginning on Wednesday, May 13th at 6:00pm ET/PT and leading into the “Mad Men” series finale on Sunday, May 17th at 10:00pm ET/PT.

To pay homage to “Mad Men’s” esteemed place in television history, all of AMC’s sister networks – BBC AMERICA, IFC, SundanceTV and WE tv – will forego regularly scheduled programming for one hour timed to the “Mad Men” finale and instead air a special message commemorating the series.

Launching during the five-day “Mad Men” on-air event is the all-new ‘Times of Your Life’ spot – the final promo for the series. The beautiful retrospective piece, set to the popular song that was also used in a 1970s Kodak ad campaign, is presented from Don Draper’s perspective and features memorable, moving scenes from the series. The spot, which uses the Paul Anka version of the song, will debut on Wednesday, May 13th and will also serve as the curtain raiser for the final episode, airing immediately prior to the series finale on Sunday, May 17th.

Additionally, AMC will air vintage promos from past seasons of the series, celebrity fan tributes and interview footage from recent “Mad Men” red carpet events. In addition, spots showcasing important first moments from the series will air in between episodes, as well as a sequence of “Madvertising” vignettes – facts and famous quotes about the advertising industry.

“Turning AMC over to ‘Mad Men’ and airing every episode of every season as a lead-in to the finale on Sunday seems a fitting way to continue celebrating what this series has meant to the fans, to television and to our network,” said Charlie Collier, AMC president. “We are also enormously appreciative of our sister networks who are paying tribute to this remarkable program that has had such an impact on our entire company.”

Moff

finale to be a Paul Kinsey solo episode. none of his Star Trek specs have gotten any attention, he's desperate to make a mark as a screenwriter. One day he realizes his earlier life in advertising would make a good show. A television show about all these men, these ad men on Madison. He mumbles to himself "ad men, madison. madison men..." Close on his typewriter as the cover page rolls up: MAD MEN. Typewriter ding, cut to black.

damn, I always hoped we'd see him and sal again
it never happened :(

Don told Sally that he will call her next week at the beginning of the episode. He probably spent about 4 days in Podunk so whenever he gets where his next stop is, he's going to call Sally and she's going to tell him to come home. That will be the impetus for his return to New York.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

That's pretty freaking epic. To suspend programming on 4 other networks for the finale of a show is pretty crazy. I wonder what they'll have in place for them. Some kind of still, or stills, from the show or looping shot with a message overlay of some kind about how the finale is on right now. Though it's not like Mad Men of all shows is the kind of thing you can just walk in on the series final, but cool nonetheless.

I thought it definitely did. Made the time jump feel much more natural with the actual actors having aged.

They shot the whole season in one go, didn't they? I believe all the episodes were in the can before the break was scheduled, wasn't it? Or am I getting that wrong?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
They shot the whole season in one go, didn't they? I believe all the episodes were in the can before the break was scheduled, wasn't it? Or am I getting that wrong?
That's right. Filming for season 7 wrapped up back in July 2014 and it was filmed in one go.

Top Bottom