• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

Chorazin

Oyashiro said:
I just bought a PS3 and this game sounds really fun. The OP makes it sound like it's fairly newb friendly, so I think I'll purchase it :D

Be prepared to die a lot and not get tons of kills for the first few levels . IMO, put your skill points into Athletics and Medical to start, and play like you're a triage doctor. Rush in, heal and rez guys, follow groups around and heal them. You'll get tons of EXP and learn the maps a lot faster.

Grinchy

Banned
I was one of the people who bought Move right away who played the shit out of this game with it. It was awesome once I got used to using it. I thought they did such a great job implementing it in MAG.

Then Killzone 3 came along. I tried playing MAG last week and it felt like turds. The controls sucked with Move all of a sudden. The game just felt janky overall. I don't know what happened :(

Deadstar

Don't underestimate the power of MAG. I thought the game was garbage when I saw it but it went on sale for $20 somewhere and I picked it up. I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. There is no shooter like it. The sheer amount of players in the game really changes everything. I definitely recommend it.

patsu

Yap, it's interesting trying to counter multiple clans' tactics on-the-fly. But in this game, you have to be thick skinned. Don't slow down just because you die a lot. Die some more and you'll get it.

Stay with your teammates... unless you really know what you're doing

legbone

don't run unless you have a sensor jammer, but never stop moving unless you are completing an objective. health upgrade very important. so is movement speed (not sprint). i wouldn't worry about grenade resistance. save your points for other things. once you learn the maps you will know how to avoid the spam. oh, and did i mention, never stop moving.

Violater

The most fun I have had playing a FPS this gen, it is a pity we stopped playing.
I wish there was something that would bring us all back to play no sleeves and all.

evilenger

patsu said:
I think:
* Increased health
* Grenade resistance
Were the most important for me.

Also grab the Medical kit as soon as you can and start healing people. Great way to boost your XP. Don't get discouraged. It's very frustrating at the start as you keep getting killed. It does get better!

Chorazin

legbone said:
don't run unless you have a sensor jammer, but never stop moving unless you are completing an objective. health upgrade very important. so is movement speed (not sprint). i wouldn't worry about grenade resistance. save your points for other things. once you learn the maps you will know how to avoid the spam. oh, and did i mention, never stop moving.

I need to get a Sensor Jammer ASAP, I run all the time!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Signed on for the first time in a few months due to the free PSN DLC. Still no one playing those maps. No one on Raven GAF either! Still, this is the only FPS I've ever had that I could not touch for a year, pick up, and remember the controls isntantly. 180 hours will do that.

fixuis

Oh definitely, MAG is uber awesome. Experience like no other. This and kz2 have defined this gens fps for me. My third time in veteran mode at level 70. Have stuck with valor since day 1 and now part of clan KEQ, biggest valor clan out there with hundreds of members. On weekends we have dozens of members online and the game has thousands of people playing in every game mode, specially on weekends.

Chorazin

worldrevolution said:
Signed on for the first time in a few months due to the free PSN DLC. Still no one playing those maps. No one on Raven GAF either! Still, this is the only FPS I've ever had that I could not touch for a year, pick up, and remember the controls isntantly. 180 hours will do that.

I dunno about the maps, but there were tons of people playing the DLC gametypes last night. 256% EXP boost tends to draw a crowd. :)

Up to level 21 now, and I'm loving being a field medic with a shotgun and machine pistol, it's awesome to stay with a few snipers and heal them as much as possible to rack up the EXP and pin down the enemy. When I do this I usually will switch to a loadout with my suppressed F90 so I don't draw attention to them when I see guys getting close to our position.

Last night I had an epic (for me) run when I followed a group into the objective, healed/rezzed as much as I could until it was me and another guy and an enemy. The other guy started to back out, the enemy follow and killed him, so I shot him in the back, then ran to the objective, capped it, rezzed the teammate, then we held the objective until backup arrived and I got the objective complete XP. Felt totally bad ass!

I love how the game promotes teamwork without the need for a headset, Zipper really outdid themselves.

Boerseun

Banned
Definitely! When this game works like it's supposed to, i.e. with a strong focus on teamwork and team support, there is nothing quite like it. In my experience though, a lot of the time people are just wildly running and gunning, focusing on their own solo objectives, as opposed to supporting the team for the win.

Still, multi-player FPS of the generation, in my opinion.

evilenger

All this talk reminds me that I need to get back into playing MAG. I've been preoccupied lately with Socom4 and KZ3.

I have been on the fence about picking Move + Sharpshooter. It seems that all currently play on PS3 seem to have great Move integration (MAG, SC4, KZ3).

I know it'll be fun playing single player, but can someone do well in the multiplayer? Is anyone playing MAG with the move and doing well or better than with the ds3?

patsu

Boerseun said:
Definitely! When this game works like it's supposed to, i.e. with a strong focus on teamwork and team support, there is nothing quite like it. In my experience though, a lot of the time people are just wildly running and gunning, focusing on their own solo objectives, as opposed to supporting the team for the win.

Still, multi-player FPS of the generation, in my opinion.

Some of those commandos are really talented though. I saw a small 2 man team penetrate behind enemy lines to disable the AA. Once that's down, it becomes a lot easier to dominate.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Violater said:
The most fun I have had playing a FPS this gen, it is a pity we stopped playing.
I wish there was something that would bring us all back to play no sleeves and all.

I was just thinking this. If I knew you and tele and the rest were still playing, I'd re-buy instantly and join in. Loved Mag, put so many hours into it.

Chorazin

evilenger said:
All this talk reminds me that I need to get back into playing MAG. I've been preoccupied lately with Socom4 and KZ3.

I have been on the fence about picking Move + Sharpshooter. It seems that all currently play on PS3 seem to have great Move integration (MAG, SC4, KZ3).

I know it'll be fun playing single player, but can someone do well in the multiplayer? Is anyone playing MAG with the move and doing well or better than with the ds3?

I hated using the Sharpshooter, what a worthless peice of shit that thing is.

Move takes time to get used to, like moving from a regular controller to an arcade stick for fighting games.

patsu

evilenger said:

I play KZ3 mostly now. I find that I can make a bigger difference there because of the special abilities.

Hop onto MAG once in a while to enjoy the big battles.

Tried the trial version this week, pleasantly surprised.

The objectives system etc is way way way way (way) better than in turds like homefront.

How much does this game actually cost on psn now? does anyone know a site where you can get cheap PSN cards (preferably through IDEAL or some other directbanking thing)?
Also can i just buy stuff from the US psn store (I do have a US account too, but am in Belgium) or do they Ip block or something? (never bought anything on PSN before)

edit: nvm seems it's still 29.99 on psn, I'll find it in a local bargain bin for 10 probably.

Is this game worth playing in the long run?
I generally despise playing a shooter on a controller, but this seems unique enough to warrant an exception (aka have it's own niche).

patsu

Which game mode did you try ? IMHO, Acquisition has the best mix. The maps are not too big/confusing, but you still get hammered by large teams and assorted military gadgets.

Yeah aquisition seemed cool;

Tried domination twice, once on the defending side (i think) in the shipyard map and it was a huge clusterfuck with everyone coming from all sides, not fun at all.
Second time was on some more desert? brownish map and that was more enjoyable, parachuting out of the AC130 is pretty cool.

Sad that this kinda feels more like battlefield than bad company 2

What's the framerate in this game btw? 10? never played something that feels so choppy

commish said:
I was just thinking this. If I knew you and tele and the rest were still playing, I'd re-buy instantly and join in. Loved Mag, put so many hours into it.
Me and The_Prez and Click kept playing long after everybody else left. We joined another clan for a while. I stopped playing for several months then the bishop and Uncle Andy came back for a bit. It's still the most fun I've had in multiplayer this gen. If anybody wants to play I'm up for it.

Oh and icechai came back for a bit and got his platinum.

patsu

Which clan did you join ? And what faction ? I have been a Raven since day 1. Never vet to another faction. :p

newjeruse

I kinda of wish Sony gave this away as part of the Welcome Back program and kept the DLC at a regular price. It would be the perfect game to inject some life to, not that it's hard to get in a game, but I think people who overlooked it or moved on would have given it a 2nd chance. I'm just hoping for a sequel.

patsu

I agree ! And auto-upgrade newbies to level 10 or even 15. Don't scare them away. Seasoned players still have significant edge in tactics, map knowledge and better equipments. So they won't lose out.

patsu said:
I agree ! And auto-upgrade newbies to level 10 or even 15. Don't scare them away. Seasoned players still have significant edge in tactics, map knowledge and better equipments. So they won't lose out.

Man why stop there, start the newbies at max. They're already gonna get donged on by the vets, they need all the help they can get. Any new blood entering the game is precious I imagine.

Question: what's the point of the nice scope sway and recoil etc if when you level up it seems to get negated by the skills?

I leveled up a few points into my sniper skills and the sway is gone , respecced them all into assault rifles (8) and the recoil is pretty much gone...

I'm dying instantly a lot, tons of headshots too.

evilenger

patsu said:
Which game mode did you try ? IMHO, Acquisition has the best mix. The maps are not too big/confusing, but you still get hammered by large teams and assorted military gadgets.

Never tried Aquisition but I'll give it a try this weekend. I usually play Suppression if I want a quick game since those don't last too long. Domination for the bonuses so I can get as much XP as possible to level up as quick as possible. Those games can be pretty crazy though and can last the full 30 min per game.

Grinchy

Banned
evilenger said:
In KZ3, I think Move is easily better than using the DS3. I can do way better with it online than I can with just the controller. For MAG, I'm not sure. It feels kind of frustrating to play with Move after playing KZ3 (they just did Move way better). I also don't know for sure if I ever felt that I had an advantage while using Move for MAG. It was just there to make the game a little cooler to play.

evilenger

Grinchy said:
In KZ3, I think Move is easily better than using the DS3. I can do way better with it online than I can with just the controller. For MAG, I'm not sure. It feels kind of frustrating to play with Move after playing KZ3 (they just did Move way better). I also don't know for sure if I ever felt that I had an advantage while using Move for MAG. It was just there to make the game a little cooler to play.

Yeah that makes sense considering that Mag came out a lot earlier, the Move integration might be "tacked" on so to speak. Versus games like KZ3 or Socom4 where from what I remember Move integration was part of the development process.

Anyways, I doubt I'll be picking up the Move/Sharpshooter unless I see it for a great price.

patsu

evilenger said:
Never tried Aquisition but I'll give it a try this weekend. I usually play Suppression if I want a quick game since those don't last too long. Domination for the bonuses so I can get as much XP as possible to level up as quick as possible. Those games can be pretty crazy though and can last the full 30 min per game.

[wave handkerchief]

Be careful if you are attacking SVER base.

Effect

How bad in general is the team vote kicking system? I figure starting off is going to be some what frustrating with one dying a lot. However from what I understand of the system people can vote players out at anytime. So is there nothing stopping one from getting voted out with 1 minute left in the game? Do you keep any exp you gain during the match or do you lose it all?

Never seen anyone get kicked during my play, and there were lots of new people due to free trial so don't think you have anything to worry about.

Effect said:
How bad in general is the team vote kicking system? I figure starting off is going to be some what frustrating with one dying a lot. However from what I understand of the system people can vote players out at anytime. So is there nothing stopping one from getting voted out with 1 minute left in the game? Do you keep any exp you gain during the match or do you lose it all?

It's not too bad. If you get on a squad full of clan members there is a chance you will get kicked for another clan member. If you are squad leader and don't set fragos you will likely get kicked too. If you are playing as a random being on the same squad as a clan can have its pros and cons, but if you want to change squads you can often do so before the game starts.

ajf009

so I'm almost lvl 60 with sver, and I finished my Valor character, is it just me or does sver kick everyones ass???? I've barely lost at all and with valor it was rare if i didnt have a major defeat, much less a win

I don't know what it is about MAG but goddamn this game is addictive. I popped it in the other day for the first time in months and now I can't pull myself away! I have got to get off Valor though, good lord this PMC sucks. We get raped every fucking game.

Kogepan

ajf009 said:
so I'm almost lvl 60 with sver, and I finished my Valor character, is it just me or does sver kick everyones ass???? I've barely lost at all and with valor it was rare if i didnt have a major defeat, much less a win

i think its because alot of high level clans are SVER...otherwise theres no explanatiion. I USED to think it was the SVER maps were eaiser to defend, but since they started randomizing the maps...thats been debunked.

This game is just supa awesome! Can't help but playing it. I wonder if lots of PS3 players don't know what a pearl they have been missing. This game almost alone worth buying the console. Such a shame I found out it 2 months before BF3 release. Great game is great.

CozMick

Banned
The_Player said:
This game is just supa awesome! Can't help but playing it. I wonder if lots of PS3 players don't know what a pearl they have been missing. This game almost alone worth buying the console. Such a shame I found out it 2 months before BF3 release. Great game is great.

Truly is one of the games of the generation, it's such a shame the average gamer couldn't see past Call of Duty to give this a try.

Top Bottom