• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

Sorc3r3r

Raul_Atreides said:
I'm glad to see this thread pop back up; i haven't played in months due to the "Valor effect". So I ask you, is Valor still as bad as they were a few months ago? We always had the fewest contracts and honestly out of the last 30 or so games I played, we must have won 2, and they were sabotage.

It was my last PMC to vet into, and definitely provided the worst experience.

Yeah they are BAD.

But, not as bad as they used to be, on MAG now there are a lot of veterans and a lot of matchs are fought inch by inch even by Valors squads.
But those inchs are way more hard to gain against the almighty SVER.

CartridgeBlower said:
Wow, haven't played this game in months and it is ALL SNIPERS all the time now.

Is that every game mode, or mostly just suppression? Yikes.

In my experience snipers in MAG are not and issue in every other mode.
And in suppresion the whole point is kill without be killed, so sniping it's a great way to accomplish it.

patsu

littleornothin said:
Suppression is sniper heaven, sadly. Don't find it so bad in other modes. Not worse than BC2/KZ3 anyway ;)

Didn't know about removing specific modes from multiqueue, will try that. Really hate suppression.

We (Raven) got really punished by SVER yesterday. Met them in every match and won like 1 out of the 10 I played. Ouch.

Sniper is not that effective in Acquisition and Domination. They are usually only active in certain locations. But it's not too difficult to counter snipe them if necessary.

I always use Multiqueue with Domination and Acquisition these days. It's a godsend.

Were you attacking SVER all the time yesterday ? The maps are rotated now, so if they won most of the time, you must be playing against their bests.

littleornothin

Neo Member
patsu said:
Were you attacking SVER all the time yesterday ? The maps are rotated now, so if they won most of the time, you must be playing against their bests.

Mostly defending against them in Acquisition and Sabotage. Won 1 Sabotage match :\

patsu

Was the team size balanced ? Sometimes, MAG would start a new game with fewer people on one side. SVER has a larger active user base, I think.

littleornothin

Neo Member
There wasn't full teams when it started, that much I remember. Think there was som problems with the servers as well. Couldn't log on at first at all, so very few players online, say around 1000..

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
Sorc3r3r said:
Yeah they are BAD.

But, not as bad as they used to be, on MAG now there are a lot of veterans and a lot of matchs are fought inch by inch even by Valors squads.

Thanks for the reply. I just couldn't believe it; one time my entire platoon was being spawncamped on domination defense. I had never seen anything like that in my 200 hours of play.

I keep thinking I'll go back to the game and get to 70 and vet out of valor but those last few levels take so long(i'm somewhere in the 60's?), especially when we (apparently) never win a match.

Boerseun

Banned
I reached level 40 last night. I'm now almost at the point where I can purchase a sensor jammer OR a motion sensor. I can only afford the one. It would be great if some GAFfers explained the advantages and disadvantages of each. Which one is more helpful? (Obviously one major influence on the purchasing decision would be weight.)

On to another topic - something should be done to promote the expansions. It's possible to get into Escalation matches, but during the last week and a half of playing I've yet to see an Interdiction match up and running. Maybe give away greater bonuses for those who buy these?

Kaze13

Boerseun said:
I reached level 40 last night. I'm now almost at the point where I can purchase a sensor jammer OR a motion sensor. I can only afford the one. It would be great if some GAFfers explained the advantages and disadvantages of each. Which one is more helpful? (Obviously one major influence on the purchasing decision would be weight.)

On to another topic - something should be done to promote the expansions. It's possible to get into Escalation matches, but during the last week and a half of playing I've yet to see an Interdiction match up and running. Maybe give away greater bonuses for those who buy these?

Sensor jammer for wanting to remain invisible on radar. If you like to go commando, get this.

Motion sensor for awareness of enemy location at all times. If you want maximum effectiveness in hunting enemies, get this.

I prefer the Motion sensor. I'd rather know where the enemy is at than them not knowing where I am at but still only have my field of view to rely on for spotting them.

Kaze13

Violater said:
Is the network down I can't get unto the PSN, will try to add you later Bishop if it hasn't been done already.

I thought I was the only one with PSN problems. Oddly enough, I can still watch Netflix.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So does that 5GB download on PSN really let you do anything up until level 8? Not that I need another multiplayer shooter in the rotation, but it might be worth trying out. Assuming the player base doesn't collapse in a few weeks when S4 comes out.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Sorc3r3r said:
Yeah they are BAD.

Raul_Atreides said:
Thanks for the reply. I just couldn't believe it; one time my entire platoon was being spawncamped on domination defense. I had never seen anything like that in my 200 hours of play.

I keep thinking I'll go back to the game and get to 70 and vet out of valor but those last few levels take so long(i'm somewhere in the 60's?), especially when we (apparently) never win a match.
Hopefully Zipper have learnt their lesson to not mess with the weapon stats for different factions. No matter what faction you belong to all similar weapons for each factions should have similar damage/accuracy/etc stats. Cosmetic differences are okay, but when one faction has weapons that does more damage than other factions, you know there's going to be a HUGE problem..

Don't think I need to say anything about maps, and how unbalanced they are.

Boerseun

Banned
I played my first game of Interdiction two nights ago! It doesn't seem all that different from other modes. The convoy really doesn't play a major role at all. Just capture and hold a building as usual. Still, it was a nice map. I hope to see it again.

Kaze13 said:
Sensor jammer for wanting to remain invisible on radar. If you like to go commando, get this.

Motion sensor for awareness of enemy location at all times. If you want maximum effectiveness in hunting enemies, get this.

I prefer the Motion sensor. I'd rather know where the enemy is at than them not knowing where I am at but still only have my field of view to rely on for spotting them.

Thanks for the reply! I reckon I'll go with the motion sensor too. I'm getting tired of guys sneaking up and knifing me in the back. So annoying!

Inanna said:
Hopefully Zipper have learnt their lesson to not mess with the weapon stats for different factions. No matter what faction you belong to all similar weapons for each factions should have similar damage/accuracy/etc stats. Cosmetic differences are okay, but when one faction has weapons that does more damage than other factions, you know there's going to be a HUGE problem..

Don't think I need to say anything about maps, and how unbalanced they are.

Yes, but why is S.V.E.R. so dominant? I can't believe it's because they are simply "better".

jayb

Boerseun said:
I played my first game of Interdiction two nights ago! It doesn't seem all that different from other modes. The convoy really doesn't play a major role at all. Just capture and hold a building as usual. Still, it was a nice map. I hope to see it again.

Thanks for the reply! I reckon I'll go with the motion sensor too. I'm getting tired of guys sneaking up and knifing me in the back. So annoying!

Yes, but why is S.V.E.R. so dominant? I can't believe it's because they are simply "better".

I've only played on two factions (SVER and then vetted to Raven), and SVER's starting guns definitely feel more powerful than Raven's starting guns.

I also believe SVER really does have more good players, and they seem to have more players in general ... which can sometimes result in lopsided player counts in matches.

In any case, I know my win/loss ratio started to drop after I vetted from SVER to Raven. I'm about to vet to Valor (for trophy reasons), and I'm sort of dreading it. They seem to lose more than even Raven.

I personally hope that MAG2 just gets rid of the factions all together. Or keep the factions, but put us on random factions each match. I'd rather it be similar to how Socom lets you customize your character for each side, and then the game decides which team you're on for each match.

Even if MAG2 kept the current faction system, but made all the weapons have the exact same stats, SVER loyalists would still migrate to MAG2. Then we would be seeing the same SVER domination (no pun) all over again.

So, I downloaded the trial for this from the PS store and I'm completely lost. I played a bit of Suppression and I did pretty well so I decided to try an objective mode, I think it was acquisition. I was attacking and I had no idea what to do, how to take out those mortar turrets/AA guns or move up the map without being killed by a seemingly endless amount of the enemy team. I bought some medic upgrades and I'm not sure how to use them on friendly players, I can never seem to see other players bleeding out or icons on my radar and I don't think I've seen anything indicating another player's health.

I want to get into this since I've heard good things about it here but I don't know what I'm doing at all.

jayb

electroshockwave said:
So, I downloaded the trial for this from the PS store and I'm completely lost. I played a bit of Suppression and I did pretty well so I decided to try an objective mode, I think it was acquisition. I was attacking and I had no idea what to do, how to take out those mortar turrets/AA guns or move up the map without being killed by a seemingly endless amount of the enemy team. I bought some medic upgrades and I'm not sure how to use them on friendly players, I can never seem to see other players bleeding out or icons on my radar and I don't think I've seen anything indicating another player's health.

I want to get into this since I've heard good things about it here but I don't know what I'm doing at all.

After you buy the medic gun, you have to equip it in your loadouts, and apply medic skill points to be able to revive people. If you haven't already, go through the in-game training and read everything there.

Also, here are few decent guides that should help you out:

http://forums.mag.com/t5/MAG-Discussion/MAG-Newcomer-To-Do-List/td-p/451722

http://forums.mag.com/t5/MAG-Discussion/Ultimate-MAG-Guide-2-0/td-p/142465

Just went vet and changed to valor, wow i think i made a big mistake. Did i just get unlucky at the time i played it but i went like 0-6 and was getting crushed nearly every game does valor blow?.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought the game for $15 at Target and enjoying it a lot, noticed tons of people were playing, so I figured I should get the DLC game modes as well.

SMH, absolutely no one is playing them :|

carlos

yeah, the dlc modes are pretty dead, I could've sworn that they were going to be given for free in the welcome back package :/

side note: goddamn, some of the requirements for medals (and trophies) are extremely tough, nearly to warhawk levels :(
Not to mention I've played over 200 hours and have never once been chosen to be team leader :(

newjeruse

I'm pretty sure the Interdiction DLC is free. Maybe that's just for Plus members, but soon everybody should be able to be a Plus member, at least temporarily.

And yes, the Trophies are ridiculous. I do remember a while back someone mentioning they've platinumed the game (and showing a pic of the platinum trophy). I'd love to be able to look through the trophy API data and see how many people platinumed it as a percentage of people playing. I'm at about 55% right now.

jayb

carlos said:
yeah, the dlc modes are pretty dead, I could've sworn that they were going to be given for free in the welcome back package :/

side note: goddamn, some of the requirements for medals (and trophies) are extremely tough, nearly to warhawk levels :(
Not to mention I've played over 200 hours and have never once been chosen to be team leader :(

are you using a mic? you're much less likely to be chosen for a leadership position if you're not using one.

theBishop

Banned
supermackem said:
Just went vet and changed to valor, wow i think i made a big mistake. Did i just get unlucky at the time i played it but i went like 0-6 and was getting crushed nearly every game does valor blow?.

I'm getting crushed as Valor too. Oh well, better step your game up!

theBishop said:

Not to brag or anything but i was pretty decent on sver, however it doesnt matter how well i do the teams on valour seem utter utter utter useless. Is this the goto army for people that think mag is cod?.

obonicus

supermackem said:

No, that's about right. Try and play at times with clans, like weekend nights -- Valor clans are really good. Or play interdiction -- Valor usually carries that. Otherwise, Valor usually gets steamrolled, from playing for and against them.

newjeruse

theBishop said:
I'm at 70 with SVER, so I'm going to Vet that soon. Valor is the last faction I need to play through with. How often are you on?

Dead

well not really...yet
Well at least people are playing Escalation now that its free lol

We get to keep the free DLC we get with PS+ even if we let it lapse right?

Persona7

Banned
What is the deal with Interdiction and the starter kit?

They are nowhere to be found on the PSN store and when I used the search or tried to download them from my list it tells me my account can not access that content.

I wonder if they are going to announce something at E3?

maxxpower

bucknuticus said:
Just picked this game up on Clearance at Target for $15, finally going to give it a shot. Any weapon/class tips for a beginner?

What faction are you joining? Make sure the first thing you buy is a medkit, and soon after you'll start racking up xp points which means more cash to buy better guns, equipment, etc.

You will die a lot at first, but don't give up or lose your patience.

maxxpower said:
What faction are you joining? Make sure the first thing you buy is a medkit, and soon after you'll start racking up xp points which means more cash to buy better guns, equipment, etc.

You will die a lot at first, but don't give up or lose your patience.

I picked valor

maxxpower

bucknuticus said:
I picked valor

Valor has some awesome weapons. The Scar-L with a silencer is so much fun and the Scar-H is a beast. It's really easy to respec your character so try playing as different classes to see which one fits your style better.

maxxpower said:
Valor has some awesome weapons. The Scar-L with a silencer is so much fun and the Scar-H is a beast. It's really easy to respec your character so try playing as different classes to see which one fits your style better.

Alright cool, thanks for the tips.

Is there really a big difference between all the different factions?

maxxpower

bucknuticus said:
Alright cool, thanks for the tips.

Is there really a big difference between all the different factions?

Yes, the player base and the maps, though I think they made all maps neutral.

The weapons are different between each faction but they balance themselves out in the end.

The demo for this game has been pretty awesome. After seeing all the DLC go free for PSN+ I thought I'd give it a try and it seems as if the demo pretty much gives you the entire game other than its capped at level 8. The player base looks to be small but active I haven't had any trouble getting games (including the huge 256 player games). After giving the demo a shot I think I'll pick this up while its cheap and the player base is still active. It sure does change up the "call of duty formula" of 8v8.

Also tried trial version today and really liked it, though now I can't find european website that actually has it in stock and american ones don't ship here, gg

patsu

Yes, MAG is a great shooter ! I had my most intense battle ever there. Defending my bunker against a vehicle spawn of Valors was crazy.

I was the only guy in my squad with mine laying capability. Freaking bunker was hanging by a thread. Enemies respawned and set up fire positions left, right, center, and everywhere ! Our guys respawned and charged them repeatedly to flush them out.

Every second, I had to consider whether to lay a mine or to revive a teammate or to just SHOOT (shoot and SHOOT !). Bunker lasted a full 20 minutes, arming and disarming explosives. When it finally went down in flames, it was all too late for them to do anything.

[Salute Zipper]

Chorazin

I fucking love this game! I picked it up last week for $17 on Amazon after seeing that the DLC was free, and I always thought it looked fun and my Move was collecting dust.

At first I was just dying all the time, then I put points into Medical and started following dudes around and healing (and eventually rezzing) them, and occasionally shooting guys with my F90 when I could. I love that you get more EXP from rezzing a guy than killing an enemy. I'm not the best FPS player, but I love running through a hail of gunfire to try and rez a dude before I bit it.

The 100% Happy Hour Bonus combined with the 256% bonus from the expansion gameplay modes helped me hit level 17 already. I'm mostly Medical spec now but I've been putting points into Close Quarters as I like using the F90 so much, but I am looking forward to getting the next "self defense" SMG weapon I see in the Depot.

Such an awesome and fun game for such a crazy low price!

evilenger

I am in the same boat as a lot of you guys. I recently got a PS3 and wanted to pick up the blue tooth headset. There was some deal for the MAG+Blue tooth combo which was on clearance so I picked it up not knowing much about MAG other than the fact that they supported 256 players at once.

Tried it and am having a blast. It's pretty rough the first 10 levels though as I was getting slaughtered. Takes some adjusting and getting used to the game coming from COD type play style but once you get going, it's great. I picked SVER just by fluke not knowing the "reputation" of it but whatever, I don't really care as long as I am having fun.

I am up to around 33 now I think. The bonuses are key and you can level up pretty fast playing DOM with the 256% bonuses.

Varth

I really think Sony should put this game free on PS+ in a permanent way. I mean, I don't think sales are significant anymore, are they? And it would be a sort of flagship title for the service.

ok, I confess: I just want the game to be popular again. Even if overshadowed by Bad Company 2, it's one of the best experiences I had this gen, and I want a chance to jump back in :(

Oyashiro

I just bought a PS3 and this game sounds really fun. The OP makes it sound like it's fairly newb friendly, so I think I'll purchase it :D

Top Bottom