• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG 2.0 |OT| of Ultimate Relaunch Party with Playstation MOVE!

snap0212 said:
I'm now level 5 and, to be honest, I'm not really having that much fun. I'm playing RAVEN and I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or if higher level weapons are just that much better than the weapons I currently have.

I'm also not sure what my objective is (except when playing TDM). It's a bit overwhelming, to be honest. Guess I'll have to play a bit more...

It gets easier mate, soon as i unlocked the 4x scope for the assault rifle i started killing alot more. Always look to the top left of your screen it should tell you what your current objective is if your squad leader is doing his job. Its a game that overwhelms at first but once you get to know the maps and game modes it all clicks.

Audioboxer

Yeah MAG is basically a death simulator for noobs. Overwhelming maps to try and learn and constantly being killed and not knowing where from. Grrr snipers.

Just made level 7 now. My K/D ratio is 0.83.

Grenade spam can be a bit annoying as well.

maxxpower

Yeah MAG is basically a death simulator for noobs. Overwhelming maps to try and learn and constantly being killed and not knowing where from. Grrr snipers.

Just made level 7 now. My K/D ratio is 0.83.

Grenade spam can be a bit annoying as well.

Do you have the Escalation dlc? You don't know what grenade spam is until you've played an escalation match.

Audioboxer

maxxpower said:
Do you have the Escalation dlc? You don't know what grenade spam is until you've played an escalation match.

Nah I'm not shelling out for it till I get to grips with MAG and see how long I'll be playing it for.

littleornothin

Neo Member
Was in the betas, from the private one, and liked it but played a bit too much I think so when it released I didn't feel for more action :p

But after playing the Socom beta now for a week and the very nice offer on EU Psn, I payed up yesterday. And wow.. this is really good now!

Didn't remember which side was my favourite so went Raven. Think I played them the least in the betas. Went ok I think, reach lvl 7 in 2 hours. Still remember the maps I already played and only got 1 that was new to me.

Is the knifing randomized or something? Or is there a mw2-commando ability you can by? Got knifed from some really suspicius distances a couple of times. Could be lag, but didn't feel any of that otherwise.

Did however get kicked out a couple of times due to some problems with server connection..

So, which weapons are the ones to go for on Raven? I'm a assault guy, so assault/lmg tips would be nice. Only remember my fav SVER weapons :p

snap0212

littleornothin said:
Is the knifing randomized or something? Or is there a mw2-commando ability you can by? Got knifed from some really suspicius distances a couple of times. Could be lag, but didn't feel any of that otherwise.
This happened to me too! It was not like the other player just warped (like in Modern Warfare 2) but more like he was able to stab me without even being near me. Weird.

edit:

I've played a bit more and think I'm already done with this game. I'll try it with move tonight, but it just doesn't seem like there's anything interesting about it, imo.

I think Zipper just made one fundamental mistakes: MAG is not accessible at all. Giving new players the worst weapons available is just wrong. There's no way you can compete with these weapons, no matter how good of a player you are. The only way to get out of this situation is to hope for a few cheap kills to get some XP to then eventually get better weapons. This isn't a problem for those who have played 100 or more hours, but for those starting now. When there's a sniper lying on the ground on the opposite side of the map there's basically no way[/I] to take him out. All you can do is hope that someone else will do this for you. It's the same with the machine guns. They're just weak weapons.

This is actually one of the few things that every CoD game does right. No matter what rank you are, you'll have guns that are good enough to compete with every other person on the battlefield.

littleornothin

Neo Member
Well, I'm used to the snipers. Only died like twice to them yesterday. It's all about learning which routes not to take, move swiftly between covers and communicate to your team mates if you are taken down by one.
Stood my own ground with the starting rifle, guess 1.0 kdr. And I was rushing ;)
But I do have pretty good knowledge of the maps since the beta.. but can certainly feel for those brand new to the game.

Stay around your squad and you _should_ get revived if killed and earn some xp at least from FRAGO objectives.

patsu

MAG is addictive once you learned the maps and figured out a way to take the objectives one after another.

IMHO, you absolutely need the improved health and increased grenade protection. They help you stay aive longer to capture the objectives or save your teammates. The first 10+ levels can be hell but if you persist, it's rather rewarding later.

obonicus

patsu said:
MAG is addictive once you learned the maps and figured out a way to take the objectives one after another.

IMHO, you absolutely need the improved health and increased grenade protection. They help you stay aive longer to capture the objectives or save your teammates. The first 10+ levels can be hell but if you persist, it's rather rewarding later.

With the multiqueue, happy hour and some of the DLC bonuses, you can get past level 10+ in the first happy hour.

theBishop

Banned
Has Zipper explained why Escalation has no leadership abilities? That's one of the best parts of MAG.

Also, as average as Homefront is, playing the big suburban maps make me wish Mag would drop the merc pseudo-story and just make cool levels.

jayb

theBishop said:
Has Zipper explained why Escalation has no leadership abilities? That's one of the best parts of MAG.

Also, as average as Homefront is, playing the big suburban maps make me wish Mag would drop the merc pseudo-story and just make cool levels.

Airstrikes in Escalation would ruin it IMO. Being able to frago and set way-points is enough.

jayb

snap0212 said:
...I think Zipper just made one fundamental mistakes: MAG is not accessible at all. ...

This is a definite problem in MAG, but once you get past the first 10-30 ranks it starts getting addictive.

As others have said, it's easy to rank up quick with happy hour + the multi-queue bonuses + Repairing and Reviving/Healing like a mad man ... with a little bomb planting/disarming thrown in.

It was even tough for me when I vetted for the first time back to level 1. I basically gave up trying to kill people for the initial levels and concentrated solely on supporting the other players. It didn't help that I vetted from SVER to Raven though. SVER's starting guns seems better than Raven's starting guns.

theBishop

Banned
jayb said:
Airstrikes in Escalation would ruin it IMO. Being able to frago and set way-points is enough.

how about some new abilities specific to the mode. Maybe a massive smoke (not poison) cloud for example.

Das-J

Law of the West
^^^ We looked into it during development, but declined to implement any strikes for two reasons:

1) We wanted to focus on infantry combat
2) Memory wise, we were up against the wall having to load resources for all three factions

patsu

obonicus said:
With the multiqueue, happy hour and some of the DLC bonuses, you can get past level 10+ in the first happy hour.

Yeah. I <3 multiqueue.

I don't dare to vet to another faction. Staying as Raven 4ever to maximize my fun !

elohel

i still have yet to get into a good game, tried many times, never got into a good enough of a clan i guess

would love to play the game but, never gotten into a good game, no one talks at all

any clan recommendations for noobs?

newjeruse

Popped in the game for the first time in several months. It's a shame that this hasn't become the PS3's go-to shooter. It's so fun and varied. All things considered, it runs incredibly smoothly. Still one of my favorite games this gen. I'm just hoping it was commercially successful enough for Zipper to continue the franchise onto future platforms, where it deserves to be.

maxxpower

newjeruse said:
Popped in the game for the first time in several months. It's a shame that this hasn't become the PS3's go-to shooter. It's so fun and varied. All things considered, it runs incredibly smoothly. Still one of my favorite games this gen. I'm just hoping it was commercially successful enough for Zipper to continue the franchise onto future platforms, where it deserves to be.

Did they fix the Domination freeze? Where you prompted to download a patch when you stared the game up?

patsu

newjeruse said:

The starting experience is too harsh. If they give out free skill points for beginners, I think it would be more fun for all. The allure of MAG is the teamwork, tactics and strategies. It doesn't really matter if a lone soldier perform better than others, or otherwise.

Kaze13

Love MAG and put in 1000+ hours on it. I have all but 3 medals to go and this game will completely be pwned by me. However, for MAG 2, I'd like you guys to consider taking a look at Homefronts MP mechanics (vehicles, purchase-able in game items with BP's, etc). I personally cannot wait for the announcement and the release of MAG 2!!! KZ3 will tide me over until then.

patsu

I was hoping Zipper will reuse the MAG framework to make a LBP-like Create and Share FPS platform. They already have all the in-game assets for us to tweak and combine.

obonicus

patsu said:
The starting experience is too harsh. If they give out free skill points for beginners, I think it would be more fun for all. The allure of MAG is the teamwork, tactics and strategies. It doesn't really matter if a lone soldier perform better than others, or otherwise.

I think a better tutorial would help. Make it understood that you're better off playing support at first; with happy hour, multiqueue and queue bonuses you can reach level 10 in 2-3 matches. I think some early-on free CP would be better, so players can buy the medical kit or the different sights more easily.

Pretty sure I'm never going to fire up MAG again, so consider this my postmortem: If you're not going to give us a single-player, at least give us a place to practice. There's only so many times I can go 18-40 over a four-game stretch and still have any desire to play the game more.

Some sort of practice mode should be standard with all online-focused shooters, even more so for a game that's online-only.

patsu

I agree but I also think that it's hard to practice for MAG. One can learn the maps, how to arm and disarm an objective, or toy with bots, or play with air support. But the real cruelty in MAG are the human foes and their merciless tactics. They do everything to wipe out your entire troop. Some clans are extremely experienced and well coordinated by now. May be they need to add spectate mode too.

Kogepan

patsu said:
I agree but I also think that it's hard to practice for MAG. One can learn the maps, how to arm and disarm an objective, or toy with bots, or play with air support. But the real cruelty in MAG are the human foes and their merciless tactics. They do everything to wipe out your entire troop. Some clans are extremely experienced and well coordinated by now. May be they need to add spectate mode too.

yeh its tough when ur going against a really experienced CLAN. Domination games can literally end within 5 minutes if they are really working in unison.

Its good and bad....as MAG really rewards teamwork, but when ur getting beat down by these guys it really sucks.

snap0212

NEOPARADIGM said:
Pretty sure I'm never going to fire up MAG again, so consider this my postmortem: If you're not going to give us a single-player, at least give us a place to practice. There's only so many times I can go 18-40 over a four-game stretch and still have any desire to play the game more.

Some sort of practice mode should be standard with all online-focused shooters, even more so for a game that's online-only.
Yeah, pretty much the same here. I think there's an awesome game hidden behind the Noob-Wall, though. I just don't think I'll have the motivation to break through.

patsu

Yes, if you persist, you'll be rewarded by an addictive teamwork FPS. I had a few of my most intense and glorious fighting moments there. It is rather satisfying to finally push waves of enemies back.

jayb

We’re starting the week with great news and are proud to announce that the MAG trial, previously accessible only to PlayStation Plus subscribers, is now available to everyone in North America starting today following the usual PlayStation Store update.

The MAG trial gives you full access to all of MAG’s maps, weapons, character skills and modes (including the Guinness World record-setting 256-player “Domination”), with the only limit being a character growth cap at level 8. Despite this level cap, it should be noted that trial players will still continue to bank experience points that are immediately applied to their character upon purchasing the full version of MAG (downloadable or Blu-ray versions)!

For international readers, this offer is already available Japan and Korea; Europe will follow suit on April 6.

If you haven’t given MAG a try yet, now’s your best-ever chance to do so. if you’re a longtime MAG fan already, now is also a great time to get your friends to join the battle with you!
http://blog.mag.com/blog/2011/03/mag-trial-now-available-to-all/

legbone

patsu said:
Yes, if you persist, you'll be rewarded by an addictive teamwork FPS. I had a few of my most intense and glorious fighting moments there. It is rather satisfying to finally push waves of enemies back.

i agree completely. i almost gave up when i bought this at launch. i had never really gotten into an online shooter since the first socom. and i sucked badly at it. i kept at it with this one. finally something just clicked and i started climbing the squad results. now i even have a few game mvps under my belt. however i still kinda suck, i have over 150 hours in the game and still don't have my grim reaper ribbon (but i don't play any of the leadership roles). it just takes time and persistance.

Boerseun

Banned
I bought MAG in box form and downloaded the expansions. I've been playing it the last four or five days. I am currently Level 20. For some reason my stats havn't been updating for the last day or so but my kill-death ratio is somewhere around 0.75. It was really low when I started, but since starting to play as a Sniper it's been going up steadily.

I feel for everyone struggling to get into the game. I still try out the assault setup every now and again, but my bullets seem to do little damage while the enemy has no trouble picking me off with only a short burst of gunfire. I tend to be in the top three when playing Bad Company 2 on Ps3, so it's not like I suck at these type of games.

I'm playing for Raven, by the way. We lose 9 out of 10 matches. The game is unbalanced by design, there's no use complaining about it, that's just the type of game it is. But it would seem Raven is particularly lacking in active seasoned players who can lead an assault and show the rest how it's done. The starting guns also seem to be a bit on the crap side, but then again I have no experience of the other two factions with which to compare. (Idealogically Raven is the only one that appeals to me.)

Multiqueue is a great option for gaining XP boosts, but it tends to throw me into one of two Suppression maps, both of which are kind of crap and not at all fun to play. I own the two expansions, as noted, but havn't yet once played either mode.

Several posters in this thread have suggested taking on the Medic role so as to farm some XP. That only works when you're able to survive on the frontlines. And you see junior guys ending matches with 2 kills and 20 deaths, or something ridiculous like that. I do agree that having four or five guys on a squad equipped with Medic Kits is an absolute requirement. Sadly most don't bother though.

As a suggestion to Das-J and the rest of the team - I reckon killing a more experienced player should result in a greater reward. Maybe make it 2XP per five levels. So killing a level 10 player would deliver up 4XP, a level 50 player would deliver up 20XP, etc. This seems only fair, as the more experienced players are all decked out with far superior armour, weapons and skills.

With all of the above taken into account, the question remains whether I am having fun. I reckon most of the time I am. I enjoy these open multi-player first-person shooters. I don't enjoy dying all the time, but soon I'll be the veteran with the killer armour and massive gun picking off newbies. :) I reckon that picture alone serves as a large part of the motivation to keep playing.

newjeruse

Boerseun said:
Multiqueue is a great option for gaining XP boosts, but it tends to throw me into one of two Suppression maps, both of which are kind of crap and not at all fun to play.
You can deactivate specific modes in the Multiqueue. Your XP boost takes a hit, but it's worth it to not play Suppression.

Boerseun

Banned
newjeruse said:
You can deactivate specific modes in the Multiqueue. Your XP boost takes a hit, but it's worth it to not play Suppression.

Yeah, I've seen that. I've been trying to avoid turning off specific modes though. Maybe I should just take the XP hit and do as you recommend. After all, there is little point in buying the extra maps and modes and not playing them.

newjeruse

Suppression is barely a mode. I think I played it once, on day of launch, and because they force you to. Even Zipper would admit that Suppression is more to get your feet wet than actually be actively played.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
I'm glad to see this thread pop back up; i haven't played in months due to the "Valor effect". So I ask you, is Valor still as bad as they were a few months ago? We always had the fewest contracts and honestly out of the last 30 or so games I played, we must have won 2, and they were sabotage.

It was my last PMC to vet into, and definitely provided the worst experience.

patsu

While levelling up, I spread my points among:
* Improved health
* Grenade resistance
* Poison resistance
* Sprint stamina
in decreasing importance. Your mileage will vary depending on your playstyle. I use poison grenade a lot in Sabotage. Not so much in other maps (They are too open).

littleornothin

Neo Member
CartridgeBlower said:
Wow, haven't played this game in months and it is ALL SNIPERS all the time now.

Is that every game mode, or mostly just suppression? Yikes.

Suppression is sniper heaven, sadly. Don't find it so bad in other modes. Not worse than BC2/KZ3 anyway ;)

Didn't know about removing specific modes from multiqueue, will try that. Really hate suppression.

We (Raven) got really punished by SVER yesterday. Met them in every match and won like 1 out of the 10 I played. Ouch.

Top Bottom