• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Gideon would have been about to rotate. He rotates in more than 7 months.

GIdeon doesn't rotate until whatever the hell the Fall Block is.

you forget that WotC thinks in WotC Time™ which is to say Future Future League Time™.

What you perceive as "Gideon being too long in standard" to them is "Oh he's about to rotate, right?"

Hence the reasoning.

Also the fact of "There's gotta be a Gideon in Standard, else the Gatewatch isn't complete!" Reasoning.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Can someone explain to me why they would ban Winding Constrictor? It's good, but it doesn't seem like a busted card.

Hopefully if -1/-1 counters are in the next set this won't be a problem. Because having a snake out would just lead to blowouts in both directions.

Ashodin

We know it's Atlazan.

Atlazan will be the intermission after the devastating defeat in Hour of Devastation. (tee hee)

Ajani will go to the plane after trying to planeswalk somewhere else from Ravnica (just like Vraska) and be pulled into the plane (which has a vortex manipulator dragging Planeswalkers to it). This will lead Ajani to an investigation on what is going on with the plane and recruit Merfolk planeswalker guy (on the art).

Then the Gatewatch recuperates and heads to Dominaria to wait for Ajani and his buds to show up (and also to tell them that they fucked up bigtime).

Bolas follows the Gatewatch to Dominaria and we got next year's 25th anniversary baby!

Bolas goes "You think you know Dominaria...? How about its greatest weapons and worst enemies turned against you?" Cue Legendary Creature Masterpieces

MoxManiac

Atlazan will be the intermission after the devastating defeat in Hour of Devastation. (tee hee)

Ajani will go to the plane after trying to planeswalk somewhere else from Ravnica (just like Vraska) and be pulled into the plane (which has a vortex manipulator dragging Planeswalkers to it). This will lead Ajani to an investigation on what is going on with the plane and recruit Merfolk planeswalker guy (on the art).

Then the Gatewatch recuperates and heads to Dominaria to wait for Ajani and his buds to show up (and also to tell them that they fucked up bigtime).

Bolas follows the Gatewatch to Dominaria and we got next year's 25th anniversary baby!

Bolas goes "You think you know Dominaria...? How about its greatest weapons and worst enemies turned against you?" Cue Legendary Creature Masterpieces

As an EDH player...man, legendary creature masterpieces would be amazing.

It baffles me that Rosewater will willingly admit that he's not good at balancing things, then insist on doing the color pie one way or the other. It's a balance equation! He's not good at those!
Yup, part of the reason I hope he stays away from commander products.
I'm okay with red fucking around with lands. I'm not okay with giving blue more shit.
My biggest beef with blue is having hard removal. It's ridiculous blue gets pongify effects ever so often.

Ashodin

They should make Atlazan like Torment, everything tilted towards Blue

It would drive people INSANE

This post is charlequin bait

They should make Atlazan like Torment, everything tilted towards Blue

It would drive people INSANE

This post is charlequin bait

Might be what it actually turns out to be. Theres merfolk on the pack art. Zendikar is the "skews green" plane, Innistrad is black, I think Kaladesh was supposed to be thematically red skewed, Amonket could be focussed on white (Gideon gets a new card) and Atlazan could be the blue plane.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Might be what it actually turns out to be. Theres merfolk on the pack art. Zendikar is the "skews green" plane, Innistrad is black, I think Kaladesh was supposed to be thematically red skewed, Amonket could be focussed on white (Gideon gets a new card) and Atlazan could be the blue plane.

lol

I also dont see why Amonket would be white. Its both an Egyptian plane and a Bolas plane. That screams lots of black and grixis.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The flavour of Blood Moon for me isn't 'transformation' anyway. It's not like all the nonbasic lands transform into Mountains. It's just obviously something about the effect that the Blood Moon has on the, um, atmosphere? And it also has the flavour of turning complexity and nuance into simplicity and a more primal state.

It sure as fuck isn't a Blue effect in any case.

I mean isn't it basically a polymorph for permanents? That fits into blues wheelhouse
indomitable%20creativity.jpg
We don't really.
Amonkhet packaging is identical to the leak so unless they shuffled sets around we pretty much know.

Joe Molotov

Glad I picked up a playset of Ancient Stirrings last week for $3/ea, it got bought out on TCG after it didn't get reprinted and all the ones left are ~$12.

An-Det

Has anyone tried the kmc premium hyper matte sleeves compared to the non-premium? I've finally run out from my bulk order a few years back so I'm looking at what's out now. Or if anything else is comparable these days.

Nah, polymorph is controllable. Chaos warp is random. Maro doesn't like it because it can hit enchantments and red 'isn't supposed to do that'.

Another problem is that it can easily whiff, making it just "exile target permanent" a lot of the time. I could see MaRo accepting it as a multicolor card, but not monoblue.

Jhriad

ok dudes, when do I buy cavern of souls or fetches.

I dont care if its the new MM17 version or the old ones.

Post release = cheapest?

I read somewhere to wait a month or two so that's what I'm doing.

On average, what red13th said is correct. If you're willing to micromanage your purchases you might be able to save some extra money by hawkishly watching TCG and eBay for super low ball sellers. Some folks will try to flip cards asap and you can find good deals around release for this reason. That said, they move VERY fast and if the print run is actually large enough the savings might not be enough to offset the effort expended. If you're not interested in shaving a couple percent from your final costs the best advice is wait a month or two after release while constantly watching supply and price curves at places like MTGStocks, MTGGoldfish, or MTGPrice. A good indicator is the buylist trend line at MTGPrice. If supply (number of sellers/copies on TCG) starts to actually drop or the buylist trend line starts to approach the current price line it's a good indication that prices have hit their floor. Trend lines won't give you much lead time with regards to changes in the meta or set reveals but you'll probably have an idea on that information anyway.

With a set this deep it's really hard to gauge since we know that the prices themselves were a fairly large factor inhibiting price growth. How much pent up demand for these staples is there actually? Check the current best buylist prices (at MTGPrice or elsewhere) to see what vendors are setting the absolute floor at currently and know that the floor is unlikely to fall below the best buylist offers and will probably stabilize a bit above. One thing to note when looking at the buylist trend line on a site like MTGPrice, make sure to check the 'highest buylist' offers as vendors may have stopped buying at that price or have filled their quota already.

OnPoint

Falle empires boxes have an EV of about $3 last I checked (not joking). The kicker is - they contain 60 boosters.

I was gonna be surprised that you mean EV of $3 per BOX, but then I thought about the cards themselves and said "Yeah, checks out."

Fallen Empires has Hymn to Tourach and High Tide. That's it in terms of tournament cards. Rainbow Vale and some of the other lands, and maybe some of the random elf or goblin cards see EDH play? What a disaster.

red13th

Yesssss more Magali Villeneuve tokens! So cool looking.
The Angel is beautiful but I prefer the Magali Villeneuve one (I use them for Geist of St Traft).
I love that there's a good Dragon token too (for Sarkhan Vol), I know it's not new but the only 4/4 Dragon token with the new templating is a fat Atarka dragon and I hated it. And I prefer the frame of the new tokens.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
These are new right?

Why do we get another new art for 1/1 soldiers but still don't have any good tokens for 5/5 dragons and 4/4 angels.

3/3 angels got an amazing token but there's literally only 1 card making them.

I was recently shopping around for an Angel token for my Bant CoCo Geist deck, and was severely disappointed by the options.

On the topic of MM2017, we're getting a new Voice of Resurgence token, right?

I miss the days when people would just dig up new trademarks to find out the next set.

Speaking of which, Announcement Day set for March 31, and there will be a live video. I feel that really does work out better then just dumping everything into a web page, like with Kaladesh's Announcement Day.

EDIT:
I was recently shopping around for an Angel token for my Bant CoCo Geist deck, and was severely disappointed by the options.

On the topic of MM2017, we're getting a new Voice of Resurgence token, right?

en_rONwJn9fUD.png

Nope

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because they knew they couldn't justify the best Goblin token:

Goblin-Token.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom