• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

Magali Villeneuve tokens? Yipee!

Pulled the trigger on MM2017 for $215 on Coolstuff. That seems to be the floor for most of the internet including TCGPlayer. There really must be a huge stock of this set if it's still selling for below retail. It's like the total opposite of the Eternal Masters preorders.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magali Villeneuve tokens? Yipee!

Pulled the trigger on MM2017 for $215 on Coolstuff. That seems to be the floor for most of the internet including TCGPlayer. There really must be a huge stock of this set if it's still selling for below retail. It's like the total opposite of the Eternal Masters preorders.

I did an order at my LGS for $215, and then the owner called me to let me know he was going down to $200 due to the fact that value of the cards went down.

Damn. That's some sick art for a token.
I do wonder if that woman is a live model, she's on a bunch of card in Kaladesh.
I was recently shopping around for an Angel token for my Bant CoCo Geist deck, and was severely disappointed by the options.
I've considered importing Hareruya Angel tokens but that's not cheap.

5/5 Dragons are even worse than angels
dragon.jpg
dragon.jpg

Wulfric

I did an order at my LGS for $215, and then the owner called me to let me know he was going down to $200 due to the fact that value of the cards went down.

Lol nice, my LGS is selling at $300. Don't ask me why, the owner is a great guy but he's really stingy. They don't even touch the singles market.

It'll be interesting to watch the cards stabilize over the summer. Maybe $50 LotV and $10 Goblin Guides are in the near future?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lol nice, my LGS is selling at $300. Don't ask me why, the owner is a great guy but he's really stingy. They don't even touch the singles market.

It'll be interesting to watch the cards stabilize over the summer. Maybe $50 LotV and $10 Goblin Guides are in the near future?

If LOTV dips to below $60 I'd buy the last one I need. It's not going to go low and then stay low.

Merchant's Scroll are still cents on MKM. Even english can be had for cheap.

Really LSV every deck gets a paragraph a decklist, tips and merfolk gets this?
LSV at Mothership said:
Despite making the finals of GP Vancouver, I think Merfolk is a fishy choice right now. It's very weak to Death's Shadow and Affinity, both of which I expect to be heavily played. It's a great deck against control and combo, but those don't appear to be where the metagame is at.
Death's Shadow Zoo actually appears to be a good matchup for merfolk. Affinity is only a bad matchup if you decide not to bring Hurkyl's, Nikachu even beat Affinity w/o Hurkyl's.

MoxManiac

IIRC the only reason Merchant Scroll was in 8th edition is because they did that "at least one card from every previous set" gimmick.

ironmang

I know I have a few Merchant Scrolls somewhere but I know I'll search for an hour, maybe find them, then they'll sit in my binder for 2 years until they get reprinted and drop back to a dollar.

Fulminator Mage is back up to $40 too. Was thinking of picking up a few then woke up and they were new price.

traveler

Not Wario
Merchant's Scroll are still cents on MKM. Even english can be had for cheap.

Really LSV every deck gets a paragraph a decklist, tips and merfolk gets this?

Death's Shadow Zoo actually appears to be a good matchup for merfolk. Affinity is only a bad matchup if you decide not to bring Hurkyl's, Nikachu even beat Affinity w/o Hurkyl's.

I thought Affinity was, by common consensus, a straight up terrible matchup for Merfolk? Hurkyl's gives you a shot at it, but doesn't even swing it to favored.

ironmang

I thought Affinity was, by common consensus, a straight up terrible matchup for Merfolk? Hurkyl's gives you a shot at it, but doesn't even swing it to favored.

Ya I've beaten Merfolk despite getting Recall'd even multiple times in a game. They pretty much need to hope you have a hand built for resiliency and/or forget about cards like harbinger and get blown out.

Angry Grimace

Announcement Day might herald Magic's 25th anniversary set.

They only announce up through Fall and Winter - should cover some Duel Decks, Commander 2017 and the Fall block. I don't think the 25th Ann. is until what, Fall of 2018 - the first set came out in August of 1993.

traveler

Not Wario
Chapin put up an interesting article today examing "what if" scenarios around potential additions to modern. Rather than looking at the ban list, he went through some cards only available to the eternal formats.

There's been a lot of discussion over time about unbanning Jace to help blue, (which I'm personally not a fan of) but I think some of the ideas he touched on in his article are much better. Specifically, I think adding daze and/or prohibit to the format could help blue deal with the super fast combo decks without really making it insane elsewhere. I could maybe see prohibit getting a standard reprint some day, as you pretty much need to kick it to hit half the card pool, but daze I don't know. The land drop is a more significant cost in standard and the 1 mana tax easier to play around, so there is that, but I still find it hard to believe WotC would reprint it in a new set.

Angry Grimace

Chapin put up an interesting article today examing "what if" scenarios around potential additions to modern. Rather than looking at the ban list, he went through some cards only available to the eternal formats.

There's been a lot of discussion over time about unbanning Jace to help blue, (which I'm personally not a fan of) but I think some of the ideas he touched on in his article are much better. Specifically, I think adding daze and/or prohibit to the format could help blue deal with the super fast combo decks without really making it insane elsewhere. I could maybe see prohibit getting a standard reprint some day, as you pretty much need to kick it to hit half the card pool, but daze I don't know. The land drop is a more significant cost in standard and the 1 mana tax easier to play around, so there is that, but I still find it hard to believe WotC would reprint it in a new set.

...Premium :(

traveler

Not Wario
I don't want to steal his whole article, as it is a pay for service, but I will note some of the points he makes in favor of those two specific cards.

Re:Daze

pchapin said:
-It slows super-fast games down.
-It's disproportionately strong against combo and control while not exactly breaking any records against aggro or midrange decks, particularly ones with Thoughtseize, Inquisition of Kozilek, or Abrupt Decay.
-It offers interesting gameplay against Choke, Molten Rain, Crumble to Dust, and Simian Spirit Guide.

Re:prohibit

Nowadays, Prohibit might actually be a printable rate, but one that is reasonably well-suited to the low costs of the Modern format. I definitely like the incentive it puts on people to play more expensive cards, as well as the variable gameplay that goes along with it.

He also talks about a variety of goblins, counterspell itself, abolish, fof, and some commander prints.

Santiako

Prohibit would be a great reprint in the next set with kicker. It's not too strong and it's better in Modern than in standard.

Ashodin

They only announce up through Fall and Winter - should cover some Duel Decks, Commander 2017 and the Fall block. I don't think the 25th Ann. is until what, Fall of 2018 - the first set came out in August of 1993.

"Announcement Day is coming! On March 31, we'll be live-streaming Announcement Day from Friday Night Magic at Meeples Games in Seattle, Washington, starting at 6:45 p.m. PT (that's 9:45 ET). We'll be announcing new sets for the rest of 2017 and into 2018, all on twitch.tv/magic."

gonna announce something.

Santiako

"Announcement Day is coming! On March 31, we'll be live-streaming Announcement Day from Friday Night Magic at Meeples Games in Seattle, Washington, starting at 6:45 p.m. PT (that's 9:45 ET). We'll be announcing new sets for the rest of 2017 and into 2018, all on twitch.tv/magic."

Yeah, probably the Conquest of Power (January 2018).

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, they've said they'll be doing two announcement days a year. The fall one will likely cover the two mid year sets for 2018 plus eternal masters 2. Storywise, Dominaria makes the most sense, but timing wise, it'd be more logical to be Fall 2018.

Ya, Prohibit is fine. It's a bad spell snare that turns into a really awkward larger counterspell.
Hell I'm 90% certain this would be fine for Standard:

Jace's Denial UU
Instant

Kicker 1(when you cast this spell, you may pay 1.)

Counter target spell with CMC <=3. If ~ was kicked, instead counter target spell.

It's a strictly worse Counterspell that still hits about 90% of Modern when not kicked, while being worse then the standard 1UU Counter (Disallow hits anything, Dissolve Scries, etc)

Angry Grimace

The Fall block's second set doesn't come out until 2018.

red13th

MM3 box on WIlly Edel's store for R$850 (around 260 USD), the only other store I saw was charging R$1000. Nice! I think I'll preorder.

traveler

Not Wario
Hell I'm 90% certain this would be fine for Standard:

Jace's Denial UU
Instant

Kicker 1(when you cast this spell, you may pay 1.)

Counter target spell with CMC <=3. If ~ was kicked, instead counter target spell.

It's a strictly worse Counterspell that still hits about 90% of Modern when not kicked, while being worse then the standard 1UU Counter (Disallow hits anything, Dissolve Scries, etc)

That seems a bit too good. Chapin discusses counterspell itself in the article and argues that modern has pretty great counterspell diversity (remand, mana leak, dispel, countersquall, cryptic, negate, counterflux, logic knot, spell pierce, etc.) because there isn't a great catch all. Prohibit would be another tool in the toolbox specifically great at handling early game threats without jeopardizing late game, but I feel like this would just become the defactor best counterspell were it printed.

Edit: for modern, I mean. In standard, I'm not sure. Itd definitely be on the pushed side of things.

That seems a bit too good. Chapin discusses counterspell itself in the article and argues that modern has pretty great counterspell diversity (remand, mana leak, dispel, countersquall, cryptic, negate, counterflux, logic knot, spell pierce, etc.) because there isn't a great catch all. Prohibit would be another tool in the toolbox specifically great at handling early game threats without jeopardizing late game, but I feel like this would just become the defactor best counterspell were it printed.

Edit: for modern, I mean. In standard, I'm not sure. Itd definitely be on the pushed side of things.

Eh, I'm not quite sure it would be as strong as you think. There's only 4 Copies that could be run in the deck, requires Double Blue to cast, is about on par with Mana Leak in the early game in regards to efficiency, and can scale upwards in the late game. It's never going to replace Cryptic(because half of the value of Cryptic is that there's 3 other valuable modes beyond the Counter option), it wouldn't straight replace Negate/Leak/Remand, etc.

We've seen Wizards be fine with either Conditional UU Mana hard counters(Silumgar's Scorn with Dragon, Surged Blue Counter from Oath, etc) and they put "Generic Hard Counter" at 1UU(Dissolve, Disallow, etc). We've gotten Conditional soft counters at 1U(Disdainful Stroke, Horribly Awry). I don't see a crappy version of Counterspell that can be a crappy version of 3 Mana counters being a format warping card.

Angry Grimace

Needs Nissa Vital Force Ultimate to be truly disgusting. Nothing beats turning your optional land drop into Card Draw.
I feel like Vital Force is the biggest example of unnecessary Gatewatch insertion into sets. There's no actual reason for her to be in the set over basically any random planeswalker.

Needs Nissa Vital Force Ultimate to be truly disgusting. Nothing beats turning your optional land drop into Card Draw.
The nature of commander makes Nissa a regrowth essentially. She ain't living for a turn.
I feel like Vital Force is the biggest example of unnecessary Gatewatch insertion into sets. There's no actual reason for her to be in the set over basically any random planeswalker.
nope that's the defiances in Eldritch Moon. Whole set was like, I guess the gatewatch is here for some reason now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The nature of commander makes Nissa a regrowth essentially. She ain't living for a turn.

nope that's the defiances in Eldritch Moon. Whole set was like, I guess the gatewatch is here for some reason now.

Nope Grimace is right. At least there was an Eldrazi to deal with in Eldritch Moon.

Santiako

Well, they formed the Gatewatch to deal with the Eldrazi so it made sense there. Nissa in Kaladesh was just kinda there, didn't matter in the story at all.

Well, they formed the Gatewatch to deal with the Eldrazi so it made sense there. Nissa in Kaladesh was just kinda there, didn't matter in the story at all.
Nissa mattered more than Saheeli.
I think he meant the card, not in the lore.
I also meant cards, mixed up collective's and defiances. Eldritch moon has like a dozen Gatewatch cards. While there may be reasons for them to be there. It was an absolutely jarring inclusion after SOI that completely smothered a major part of the set.

Angry Grimace

I think he meant the card, not in the lore.
I meant both. We already have a Nissa in Standard and did even before the rotation schedule changed.

I mean in the lore the entire Gatewatch was there. They just didn't all get cards so Nissa's inclusion came off as random.

OnPoint

I meant both. We already have a Nissa in Standard and did even before the rotation schedule changed.

I mean in the lore the entire Gatewatch was there. They just didn't all get cards so Nissa's inclusion came off as random.
Agreed. She was a total non factor in every way concerning Kaladesh. Maybe they won't have a Nissa for a bit now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom