• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Santiako

Seb McKinnon's art for the promo mtgo Stasis is incredible:

DqJbUJSh.jpg

Wulfric

Seb is so good with that eerie stuff. Now with 100% less seesaws!

I'm still a fan of Fay Jones' original art. So many people have great memories of that card. I wonder who owns it now...

TaJxTlT.jpg

It almost feels like a return to DiTerlizzi-style children's book MtG. Only much darker (that guy on the right frozen in mid-impalement, man).

If they actually do fairy tale plane this is what it should look like.

Card Boy

Banned
Should i wait a month to buy the cards that are rotating out? Sorta want to build my first budget modern Zombies deck and a second deck which i haven't decided yet. Relentless Dead has dropped $3 in the past week. Not just talking about 1 card. Diregraft is slowly dropping as is Cryptbreaker. Want to pick up afew singles for Commander too.

Maledict

DqJbUJSh.jpg

That is spectacular. I hope Wizards continues to embrace artists who aren't churning out the cgi fests we've seen over the last decade. Stuff like this makes me want to spend money.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Were they upgraded or bone stock?

My vampire was stock, the cat deck was stock (that one can spit out tons of enemies, though), and I think, judging by the fact that the arcane player was not newish, the arcane was modified. Still, the cat deck being that powerful was a surprise, as I had thought it was just okay.

Saying something is not bad in commander at this point is like saying the card exists

Okay, I will rephrase. I think that if you were compiling a top ten list of Planeswalkers for Commander, she would be considered. Probably more so in 1v1 Commander and admittedly I play more 1v1 than anything. Her -3 ability is very strong, and the reason you'd even play her.

My vampire was stock, the cat deck was stock (that one can spit out tons of enemies, though), and I think, judging by the fact that the arcane player was not newish, the arcane was modified. Still, the cat deck being that powerful was a surprise, as I had thought it was just okay.

We haven't played them yet but the cards I've bought to upgrade the Vampire deck for my daughter, makes me think it's going to be OP.

Same goes for my sons Dragon deck, but I haven't bought enough cards to fix the mana base. I've fixed it somewhat, but not enough.

My opinion of the Wizard deck is that it will be the most expensive deck to upgrade. The cat deck seems like it has enough to work pretty well and a few upgrades could make it even better.

Right, but, again: what fallout? The judge lawsuit is going to hinge more on the nature of work expectations for "volunteers" than anything about the exact value of the card packs. There's no general-purpose law against a company selling randomized goods and acknowledging that there's a secondhand market for them, or even making decisions based on that secondhand market. I just don't see the evidence that there's an actual legal threat (rather than a general-purpose "well something, somewhere could be a problem somehow") that arises from this.

Considering MtG to be 'randomized goods' is looking at it the wrong way. A slot machine produces a 'randomized good' but that doesn't make it particularly legal. Paying a set amount for something and getting a random value back is very illegal in a variety of ways and to different degrees depending on location.

On the federal level I'm not so sure where the line is, but a large amount of states have laws that would destroy MtG as we know it if they figured out WotC was factory the secondary market into their products. Buying boosters IS gambling, and in many states so is the act of paying money for a card tournament.

WotC currently has many defenses to keep from having the game be seen for what it actually is, however. Draft itself likely exists as a format to justify boosters being as randomized as they are. 'They're not randomized as part of a money making scheme, they're randomized as a necessary game mechanic!' or so the logic would go. WotC not acknowledging the secondary market is the other prominent defense.

If MtG was found to be gambling, the entire distribution structure of the game would immediately be destroyed and WotC would owe back damages for a million different things because the RL can be used to show that they've known it was gambling for decades. 20 years of damages would probably straight destroy WotC as an entity.

As an aside, reasons for WotC to not acknowledge the secondary market are more plain and well documented than reasons for keeping around the RL. If I haven't explained it well I recommend just googling it a bit.

PS, I find it amazing that MTGO has been allowed to exist as long as it has, from a legal standpoint.

man wizard is overdoing it a little bit with these cards now, that's like the 5th gy hate card in the last 2 sets. scavenger grounds is almost all the graveyard hate you need, with crook of condemnation being the card to look at when you want some targeted.

When is gonna be the best time to buy a playset of promo fatal pushes? I'm gonna play for them a bunch of times but I'm not leaving w/o 4 copies.

When is gonna be the best time to buy a playset of promo fatal pushes? I'm gonna play for them a bunch of times but I'm not leaving w/o 4 copies.

I was wondering the same thing. I mean, do I want to grind for them? My LGS is going to do Conspiracy drafts for the next two FNMs. At $12 entry plus whatever cool pulls from Conspiracy packs, it may be worth it. But on the other hand, I kind of just want to stay at home and pay money for them. lol

I'm sure there's been plenty of discussion on this, but returning after a decade I'm really not liking that there's no base sets (I understand they're making a comeback next year).

The pre-made I got ended up being pretty garbage, so I started looking through cardlists to make something more fun
and down the rabbit hole I go
. I ended up making a green/ black deck that uses some combos involving -1/-1 counters and a red/ blue deck control deck that has a few creatures with the "Prowess" ability, both using cards from the two recent Egyptian themed sets. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of useful spells to pump the Prowess cards. There's some blue bounce spells, and counters, but there seems to be very few red burn cards in this block. I could look through the previous block but I like the idea of making theme decks with cards from one block. It'd be nice to have a set of generic cards to pull from.

I saw the Modern Masters set, which kind of sort of seems like it fills the roll of a base set except it's not legal in Standard, if I'm understanding right.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Masters set are not core sets at all. They are limited print sets made to reprint non standard format staples and to be higher power draft environments than standard sets

Masters set are not core sets at all. They are limited print sets made to reprint non standard format staples and to be higher power draft environments than standard sets

Ah, OK. I quickly skimmed through one of them and recognized many of the cards, I assumed it was supposed to be something like a base set.

It's hard for anything to beat Fay Jones' original for me on this card but this is an exceptional effort.

If they actually do fairy tale plane this is what it should look like.

Absolutely. This has a serious Brian Froud vibe.

This reads like an essay written by a 1L who got a C- in contracts.

The lawyers shitting on it in the comments are pretty funny. This article is a great example of motivated reasoning in action.

That is spectacular. I hope Wizards continues to embrace artists who aren't churning out the cgi fests we've seen over the last decade.

I think there's actually a scarcity problem to a degree. Seb has six illustrations in AKH block and they're all pretty great. Kev Walker has 4, Volkan Baga has 4. A lot of the artists who've done spectacular work in more classical or stylized styles are too successful in fine art or general illustration to stick around in Magic (Guay, Meignaud) or have moved onto gigs where they don't do individual cards anymore (Jarvis.)

Like, I would like to see the style tilt further in this direction, but I don't think the core issue is that they're unwilling to commission artists who work in more stylized forms.

Wow. Now if you could only get this in paper we would all lose our shit.

Stasis isn't reserved so I figure there's a very good chance this is in either Iconic or 25 Masters.

On the federal level I'm not so sure where the line is, but a large amount of states have laws that would destroy MtG as we know it if they figured out WotC was factory the secondary market into their products. Buying boosters IS gambling, and in many states so is the act of paying money for a card tournament.

Gonna need a citation on this. In the US, gambling is largely legal on the federal level and defined pretty specifically on the state level. To just go with one state law:

(3) CONTEST OF CHANCE . Any contest, game, gaming scheme or gaming device in which the outcome depends in a material degree upon an element of chance, notwithstanding that skill of the contestants may also be a factor therein.

(4) GAMBLING . A person engages in gambling if he stakes or risks something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence, upon an agreement or understanding that he or someone else will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome. Gambling does not include bona fide business transactions valid under the law of contracts, including but not limited to contracts for the purchase or sale at a future date of securities or commodities, and agreements to compensate for loss caused by the happening of chance, including but not limited to contracts of indemnity or guaranty and life, health or accident insurance.

Purchasing a pack isn't a contest, doesn't involve staking something, and is a bona fide business transaction. Acknowledging that a secondary market exists doesn't change any of this if WotC themselves aren't directly backing the identified value on that market. It just doesn't come close to qualifying.

The case against tournaments is actually much stronger since in some states a "material contribution of chance" makes any paid competition with prizes gambling, though even then it's a pretty small portion of states where it's a serious concern.

I know I'm being kind of pedantic about this, but it's a topic where people broadly reference "gambling laws" all the time to explain certain things, but if something is risky under those there's going to be a concrete reason why.

Ashodin

No, that was the cast. Kopala was there and he is not a pw.

bah!

aha, Huatli, Warrior Poet is the actual card name in the set.

CONFIRMATION they can't leave Ixalan!

OH SHIT HER CARD

3RW

Huatli, Warrior Poet

Legendary Planeswalker - Hualti

+2 You gain life equal to the greatest power
0: Create 3/3 green Dino
-X: Deals x damage divided as you choose any number of creatures. Creatures dealt damage can't block

3 Loyalty

BEATEN

Huatli is seeking the city of gold to understand why she isn't able to leave the plane. It sounds like she's on the Disney protagonist journey, so I think she'll join the Gatewatch.

Ashodin

Turn 4 Anointed Procession

Turn 5 Huatli, make 2 3/3 Dinos with Trample

Their turn 5: Glorybringer, kill Huatli and a Dino :(

Top Bottom