• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Santiako

Vraska stealing a ship, turning the captain to stone, and lashing her to the boat as the figurehead is amazing.

We can actually see that happening (the turning the cap to stone at least) in this card:

en_lrdJDXzb6a.png

Wouldn't be surprised if Vraska was mono black this time or maybe even sultai.
I dunno, looks good to me. 5 is a little pricy, but any dino deck is gonna have decent ramp anyway, and it'll have some decent big bastards to take advantage of the ult.
that's presuming there's going to be a dino deck, that it's at least RW, and not ramp decks playing dinos and that she would be the PW of choice for ramp decks.

I already miss 6cmc Chandra, now that's a great -x

Alright I'm looking at finishing my Mairsil the pretender deck only to find out there are no basic lands from the dark.

now I don't know which basic lands to get for the deck.

I forgot how much I liked the story-telling in Magic. I've never thought about it before but it's a lot like From Software's style where you gradually piece together a larger story from bits of text on item descriptions. It may be different but when I started playing around Odyssey block I didn't read the novels and I wasn't looking at card lists on websites. Getting new cards and looking through my friends' collections and reading all the flavor text was so fun.

DrArchon

Seems pretty bad.

I'm torn. Making a 3/3 every turn sounds really good (doesn't even tick down to do it), but that starting loyalty is just awful. She's so frail unless you're using her to gain life, which means you aren't making dinos.

Modular ult is nice though. She works well against go wide decks (dinos have trample) and decks with fewer creatures, which is nice. The problem is keeping her alive. Real question is will she find a deck though. I guess I still see R/W being too aggro to want a 5 drop that isn't some bigass hasty beatstick.

Non-plane-specific lands, maybe? I'm a big fan of the three Commander land cycles.

Yeah but that's where I get lost. I am already using Kamigawa lands for my Narset deck and I don't like the grixis lands from alara. The only panorama that forms between islands swamps and mountains is from judge promo basics that go for €90 each and I'm already using unglued lands for my Scion deck.

The artist Izzy hasn't drawn any basics either. I might settle for HOU full arts since they represent Bolas and Grixis is Bolas.

Hackworth

Alright I'm looking at finishing my Mairsil the pretender deck only to find out there are no basic lands from the dark.

now I don't know which basic lands to get for the deck.
Full art Zendikar, or Time Spiral or Alara are my defaults in all situations.
EDIT: if you're going for a villain theme, Amonket/Hour lands?

any specific art pieces?
Here's a summary of the world building panel that includes a bit of relevant art.

Well Ugin is a feathered Dinosaur when you think about it but that supposed picture of him is missing the glorious beard.

Edit: found my lands. Ice Age is just after Mairsil's death but he was active during most of it anyway and there's Arena Promos witht he Ice Age art that are relatively cheap foils.

I think this thread is underrating Dino Walker. At her absolute worst, she is a 3/3 that gains you 3+ life when she ETB. That's not great, but it at least buys you another turn. At her best, she wins the game immediately when she hits the field. Most of the middle of the road scenarios put you in a good position for the rest of the game.

I give her a B+ or maybe an A-

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
We haven't played them yet but the cards I've bought to upgrade the Vampire deck for my daughter, makes me think it's going to be OP.

Same goes for my sons Dragon deck, but I haven't bought enough cards to fix the mana base. I've fixed it somewhat, but not enough.

My opinion of the Wizard deck is that it will be the most expensive deck to upgrade. The cat deck seems like it has enough to work pretty well and a few upgrades could make it even better.

Yup. All in line with some stuff I have read. Though, the arcane deck can seriously fuck you up.

that's graveyard hate I guess.

I LOVE this card. Buying day one and playing it in EDH for arcane defense. Also, picking up Alms Collector as it seems to be able to screw up arcane. In other obvious news, I kinda hate the power of arcane decks. :)

Ooccoo

She is the Dovin Baan of this set, ie pretty bad. BUT she has tribal synergies so casual demand will be high.

Ozigizo

She is pretty meh. I'd have liked her loyalty a bit higher. If you're not on the play, she can't even take a possible Glory Bringer down.

Edit: oh this is what's on the PAX playmat-

Ripjaw-Raptor-Ixalan-Spoiler.png

I'd really like to get that new amazing stasis art on a mat.

traveler

Not Wario
At 5 mana, it's a tad underwhelming, but I can't say I'd have liked to see a 3/3 token maker at Gideon cost either, right after he rotates. I think if the first ability had more impact and fit the colors better, it'd be just about perfect. Still seems better than Arlinn Kord at least; there's potential here.

Adaren

I'll take the uncommon stance of saying that Huatli is just okay. Not useless, not busted, but somewhere in the middle. If your opponent is relying on lots of destroy/exile target Planeswalker spells, then she could be quite strong (since her low starting loyalty is less relevant). Against direct damage she obviously has issues in both her mana cost and loyalty.

I like both her and Jace quite a bit, honestly. They're both interesting and unique, and they both have the potential to be good without being totally busted. They're the type of Planeswalkers I like to see.

noquarter

Played in side events all day at GP DC, ended up getting my three days paid for in credit, so will probably just 0lay some jank tomorrow. Won't be able to play more than one event, but should still be fun.

snip about MTG and gambling.
Just curious why you think that MTG Cards would be treated different then sports cards when it comes to buying packs? Baseball cards are the same way with regards to randomized goods, they also have chase cards that are extremely rare. They will also rebut cards, have them autographed and added to packs randomly, which means they do directly look at secondary markets to add value.

I could see some states trying to say the degree of chance leads to it being closer to gambling, but the fact you have to build a deck and know how to play it, both involving skill, I would think would keep that from happening. Antes are a lot more luck based, so it makes sense to get rid of them for fear of being looked at as gambling, but as it stands, I think most states wouldn't even try to go after it, or any other card games (except Pokemon and all of their coin flips)

Card Boy

Banned
Is TCGPlayer.com slow for anyone else lately? It's been slow AF for like 2-3 months now. It's actually the cheapest place to buy singles for me though over anything else and stuff i have received in the past has been A+ even items that where classed as LP looked NM to me.

traveler

Not Wario
I think Jace is a great design, though, once again, it's so different from his usual incarnation that this another space where I wish they'd introduced another pw instead of using another Gatewatch incarnation. That said, if you're going to have a character change, (i.e. mindwipe) might as well do it this way. (Plus Jace has shown proficiency in illusions numerous times throughout the story and that hasn't been represented on any of his cards yet)

Just curious why you think that MTG Cards would be treated different then sports cards when it comes to buying packs?

Magic cards being 'game pieces' makes the whole works top to bottom inherently different from baseball cards, from a legal standpoint. Many states have broad laws that are meant to ensnare traditional card games that also ensnare MtG.

A fun historical precedent to think about is when pinball machines were considered gambling. Cops would make players call their shots to show that the game was skill and not chance. I'm not sure how well this transfers into modern interpretations of the law, but it gives us a good barometer for determining when a game is gambling and when it isn't. WotC seems to be under the impression that playing for prizes on MTGO is illegal in many states. So I'm generally inclined to differ to them on that.

I actually took the time to look and see if there was actual precedent on any of this stuff. In terms of distribution, the Pokemon TCG, Topps, and Upper Deck were actually involved in some lawsuits in the late 90s. These involved 'chase cards'. None of these appear to have been successful and there doesn't seem to have been anything notable since. MtG escaping that rash of lawsuits without getting dragged into it is kind of surprising.

Repgnar

Is TCGPlayer.com slow for anyone else lately? It's been slow AF for like 2-3 months now. It's actually the cheapest place to buy singles for me though over anything else and stuff i have received in the past has been A+ even items that where classed as LP looked NM to me.

I've noticed it in the past 2-3 weeks. Taking a while to search or just not searching period. Usually a browser reset or refresh worked but it's happen enough for me to notice these last few weeks. Other than that I've enjoyed using them and plan to continue.

I put too much stock into Gaf's predictions last set which weren't always on point. I think she could be really solid in aggro decks or decks that really benefit off of hitting the opponent's life with creatures.

PsionBolt

GFlQ0Y4.png

Seems pretty bad.

...This is an RG card, through and through. It really shouldn't be white.

White gets lifegain, sure, but green more often does things with creature power. White and red do make tokens, but it's a 3/3 green dinosaur with trample, come on.
It's very hard to imagine that this card wasn't colourshifted late in development because they wanted to tick a checkbox.

huatli is unimpressive. 3 loyalty dies to everything

5 loyalty and +1/0/-XX (instead of +2/0/-X) seems like it would do the same thing and just be mediocre instead of bad

Copenap

Hi guys, I think I'm about to make a "terrible mistake" and get into MtG again (played for a relatively brief period in my early teens). I say terrible mistake because I don't expect to have much time or people to play with. Btw. I am only really interested in the physical game.

Anyhow, what would be a good place to start? I was thinking about gettin the bundle, planeswalker kit and deck builders kit for the new expansion. Does that make sense?

Hi guys, I think I'm about to make a "terrible mistake" and get into MtG again (played for a relatively brief period in my early teens). I say terrible mistake because I don't expect to have much time or people to play with. Btw. I am only really interested in the physical game.

Anyhow, what would be a good place to start? I was thinking about gettin the bundle, planeswalker kit and deck builders kit for the new expansion. Does that make sense?

IMO the deck builders kits are worthless. The rest is fine though.

Santiako

Brad Nelson and Corey Baumeister went 8-1 and 9-0 at the first day of GPDC with a different deck than the one they just used to get 1st and 3rd at the GP two weeks ago. They are on a fucking roll goddamn.

(They are playing monowhite Eldrazi this time)

Farside

Unconfirmed Member

I just started playing three weeks ago. I got a few free Welcome Decks to learn the game then bought one Planeswalker deck to play standard and one Commander deck. I have also purchased several boosters and a few single cards, though I have not started modifying my decks yet. I want to see their strengths/weaknesses before I shift stuff around. And I'm kind of waiting for Ixalan, too.

For people to play with, find a card shop that's near you. You can walk in and mostly likely always find someone to play with.

Justin

Ixalan prerelease weekend is in three weeks.That would be the best time to jump back in.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/event-types/prerelease

Top Bottom