• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

I dunno- Ixalan sealed seems pretty good to me thus far. It's way less bomby than Amonkhet; even Regisaur Alpha and Hostage Taker don't measure up to some of the gods- especially the HoD ones. I find my decks and games to be consistently dominated by commons and uncommons, and very few threats my opponents present feel unreasonable. There's also a very strong synergy driven draft archetypes in UG Merfolk and UR Pirates. I do wish the other color combinations had more synergistic decks to build, though, as RB Pirates- one of the strongest archetypes in my opinion- is basically removal + raid card advantage dorks and BW Vampires doesn't have a ton of rewards for achieving the go wide strat. Definitely going to play the season out some more to get a feel for it, but I'm a fan thus far.
I've only played a single draft of Ixalan but UG merfolk is my favourite archetype since OGW life drain. There's just something else about playing a deck purely relying on tempo.

Justin

I did my first Ixalan draft today and I also think it is pretty great. Even thought I opened some bombs (Burning Suns Avatar, Monstrosaur) I ended up going 1-3 but all the rounds were really close and had some complex combat steps.

Edit: Damn, Hostage Taker is up to $12. Shouldve pulled the trigger when they were pre-ordering for $6.

traveler

Not Wario
I've only played a single draft of Ixalan but UG merfolk is my favourite archetype since OGW life drain. There's just something else about playing a deck purely relying on tempo.

Jade Guardian is great and allows you to actually make use of One With the Wind, for a real bomb level threat. The token spitting enchantment is also a serious pain for any deck that wants to attack via the ground. Merfolk also get several of the best explore creatures to keep the deck running. It's seriously strong across the board. I think RB pirates at its best is the only archetype I'd put over it right now. Granted, I've only gotten about 30 matches into the season, so there's still a ton of room for change.

Card Boy

Banned
I did my first Ixalan draft today and I also think it is pretty great. Even thought I opened some bombs (Burning Suns Avatar, Monstrosaur) I ended up going 1-3 but all the rounds were really close and had some complex combat steps.

Edit: Damn, Hostage Taker is up to $12. Shouldve pulled the trigger when they were pre-ordering for $6.

$18 now and climbing. Looks like i have to wait 2 years now for it to rotate out of standard.

Posted this on another forum but could use opinions from here too:
So, i'm coming back to mtg after ..uh, 17 years? Bought a box of Kaladesh to draft for fun with some friends but eventually want to start playing constructed, especially now that there's a "new" standard.

I'm thinking that i should probably buy a playset of most non-basic lands ... or is that dumb? Mostly, i don't really like playing one deck over and over so i'd like to have options to build other stuff.

(If i had to choose a deck, i'd probably go for one of those Energy decks but still ...uh, researching...)

Justin

Posted this on another forum but could use opinions from here too:

If have the money to spend and you are sure you will get play out of them I guess you can pick them all up. The prices on the lands seem pretty stable though so there really isn't a reason to not just pick them up as you need them.

Edit: You will probably be pushing $300 to in just lands if you want to get playsets of all the Kaladesh, Amonkhet and Ixlana non-basics.

Of all the possibilities surrounding Popeye/Pirate Stompy, this is literally the best one. I'm dying over here.

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/popeye-stompy/

I don't know, a lot of cards there are ones I know see play in Legacy, and I know weird cards sometimes see play in older formats, so it doesn't seem obvious that it's a joke without the surrounding article.

And I'm confused, the article writer is one of the people who started the rumor?

If have the money to spend and you are sure you will get play out of them I guess you can pick them all up. The prices on the lands seem pretty stable though so there really isn't a reason to not just pick them up as you need them.

Edit: You will probably be pushing $300 to in just lands if you want to get playsets of all the Kaladesh, Amonkhet and Ixlana non-basics.

Oh, ok, i guess because i have only started looking at prices recently that i didn't realize this. Thought it would be , hmm, wilder.

Too bad i never picked up some dual lands when i played back then or i could finance this easily :D

( *cries at his playsets of City of Brass , Undiscovered Paradise, Reflecting Pool, Gemstone mines and 5th edition shock lands that are worth nothing now*)

DrArchon

Damn, Hostage Taker is up to $12. Shouldve pulled the trigger when they were pre-ordering for $6.

Yikes. Paper Pirate Tempo may be out of my reach. Why'd both Dinos and Pirates, the only tribes I care about in Ixalan, have to be the expensive ones?

Well, guess I'll have to go back to brewing BW Lifegain and UR Favorable Winds.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yikes. Paper Pirate Tempo may be out of my reach. Why'd both Dinos and Pirates, the only tribes I care about in Ixalan, have to be the expensive ones?

Well, guess I'll have to go back to brewing BW Lifegain and UR Favorable Winds.
Because they are popular for the same reason you wanted to make them in the first place?

Justin

Calling it now. Hostage Taker will be more expensive than Carnage Tyrant by the time we get to the PT.

because Tyrant will drop to ~10

Justin

Something pretty close to this happened at he SCG event yesterday.

Player 1: Cast HT, steal Long Tusk Cub
Player 2: Cast HT, steal HT get Long Tusk Cub back
Player 1: Cast second copy of HT, Steal HT, Get HT Back
Player 2: Does something
Player 1: Cast stolen HT, steals creature

Tunoku

I should have bought Hostage Takers, fuck. My problem is that I need them for PPTQs and probably everyone else, so I'll have to buy them eventually.

Tunoku

Looking back at it, my Prerelease pack was loaded with value

Hostage Taker
Foil Drownded Catacombs
Wrath to Exile
Bad Cavern of Souls

and then foil Search for Azcanta in my prize packs.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Looking back at it, my Prerelease pack was loaded with value

Hostage Taker
Foil Drownded Catacombs
Wrath to Exile
Bad Cavern of Souls

and then foil Search for Azcanta in my prize packs.

Yeah, my promo Hostage Taker is looking even better now than it did during the prerelease games.

I wish r&d was good enough not to miss obvious problematic interactions

In fairness, this one isn't a design/development issue, it's a templating/editing issue. These kinds of effects are supposed to get worded correctly by the rules manager and the other members of the editing staff and someone just fucked up on it here.

y2dvd

I opened a hostage takeover yesterday and had the chance to trade for one at $10 but got a Nahiri for my Aurelia EDH deck instead. Doh!

kirblar

I really shouldn't have needed to tell you to pick up HT at 3 bux lol

Wasn't expecting this but it was clearly one of the best cards in the set.

I don't know, a lot of cards there are ones I know see play in Legacy, and I know weird cards sometimes see play in older formats, so it doesn't seem obvious that it's a joke without the surrounding article.

And I'm confused, the article writer is one of the people who started the rumor?

This list has 4x of a 3cc 1/1, 4x of a 5cc 3/3 flyer, and Ramirez DePietro. It plays Rishadan Airship over True Name Nemesis. There is zero pirate synergy in the list. Not to make fun, but it seems pretty obvious that something is at least suspicious about it :p

Justin

I really shouldn't have needed to tell you to pick up HT at 3 bux lol

Wasn't expecting this but it was clearly one of the best cards in the set.

Next time say in bold and at least once a page because I missed out :( Now Im crossing my fingers that Card Kingdom restocks at the $11.99 they have listed now and not at the $18 which is the TCGPlayer median.

Edit: I just checked and CK raised it to 17.99 within the last 20 minutes. Damn.

Neoweee

I'm a big fan of the draft format. The Rares are relatively non-BS, and the decks are fairly interactive. Very little has a crushing ETB effect, and lifegain helps mitigate some of the aggro BS.

Merfolk may ruin the format before I'm done with it, but right now it looks like people know how good the combat trick, the 2/2 for 1G, and the 2/1 that can fly are that other decks grab them.

y2dvd

I'm enjoying drafts so far. I've been able to force dinos, pirates, and vampires to good success. I haven't forced Merfolks yet but the fact that dinos didn't completely dominate every draft is encouraging.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Something pretty close to this happened at he SCG event yesterday.

Player 1: Cast HT, steal Long Tusk Cub
Player 2: Cast HT, steal HT get Long Tusk Cub back
Player 1: Cast second copy of HT, Steal HT, Get HT Back
Player 2: Does something
Player 1: Cast stolen HT, steals creature

yeah that was crazy

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
In fairness, this one isn't a design/development issue, it's a templating/editing issue. These kinds of effects are supposed to get worded correctly by the rules manager and the other members of the editing staff and someone just fucked up on it here.

Sorry for the ask, but could you guys explain the issue?

Santiako

Of course. As printed, the card can exile itself when it enters the battlefield, as a result, if it's the only creature or artifact in play when it enters the battlefield it will have to exile itself until it leaves the battlefield, and since it then leaves the battlefield it comes back to the battlefield having to target itself again causing an infinite loop that unless any player can stop it it results in a draw.

Image.ashx

The card has been updated to read:

"When Hostage Taker enters the battlefield, exile another target creature or artifact until Hostage Taker leaves the battlefield. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell."

So it cannot target itself any longer.

As printed, if Hostage Taker enters a battlefield with no other creatures, it must exile itself. Then it returns to the battlefield. Then it exiles itself. This continues infinitely, making the game end in a draw.

The card received errata that it must exile another creature, which fixes this. You can still force a draw with three, though.

Justin

Had an idea about Arena. They should make the core sets free. Give everyone all the core set cards and make core set drafts/sealed free. Monetize the named sets but hook people with the core ones.

Edit: on second thought this would kill paper sales for core sets

I'm looking to put together a semi-casual Standard U/G Merfolk deck, and I was wondering if anyone had any pre-Ixalan recommendations for the list.

Right now I'm looking at Value Merfolk (Jade Guardian, Wayfinder, etc.) with Deeproot Waters, with the intent being to flip Growing Rites and use it to either make big beaters via Waker of the Wilds, Shapers of Nature, or big X U/G Nissa, or maybe to drop the 7 CMC U/G Legendary Merfolk or just some green stompy like Gearhulk.

Not really looking for something fully competitive, just to have a Standard deck I can mess around with when a few of our newer players (who are mostly running lightly modified prerelease/draft decks) need an opponent.

Top Bottom