• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Card Boy

Banned
With Metallic Mimic going up so high, what's THE Tribal deck that will feature the card?

Merfolk? Vampires? Dinosaurs?

I had them in Aetherborn tribal, i'm going to be doing Black/White Vampire Tribal now. I can't really seem them in Dinos and Pirates as there are better options, Merfolk tribal maybe.

Copenap

They didn't increase the number of legendaries in each expansion. They just moved a bunch of neutral legendaries into class legendaries.

Anyway, the point is that if you have competitive players spending more than $200-$250 a year on MTG:Arena, it will not competitively priced compared to Hearthstone.This is something they need to nail. Be generous with digital rewards for paper players and make sure people aren't spending more on Arena than they would in Hearthstone.
I'm starting to think there will not be any tie in benefit for paper magic players except maybe some digital promo cards :/

Would be sad though.

DrArchon

With Metallic Mimic going up so high, what's THE Tribal deck that will feature the card?

Merfolk? Vampires? Dinosaurs?

I'd go with Merfolk. There aren't any lords for them in standard and there are +1/+1 counter synergies with Herald of Secret Streams.

Next best would be Vamps, but I still think most Vamp decks will win off of Sanctum Seeker and throwing tokens into the grinder, so counters will only help so much.

Ashodin

The more I think about it, the more Vanquisher's Banner is actually not a terrible top-end for Vampires. Draws you cards when you play more Vamps, pumps them...

Angel of Invention is not bad either.

DrArchon

The more I think about it, the more Vanquisher's Banner is actually not a terrible top-end for Vampires. Draws you cards when you play more Vamps, pumps them...

Angel of Invention is not bad either.

Every time I've seen Angle of Invention used outside of being resurrected with God-Pharaoh's Gift I've seen it eat a removal spell instantly. It needs 4 toughness so badly.

kirblar

Metallic Mimic has been rising for months now, which is a sign this isn't actually anything to do with a secret standard deck- it's just commander players.

Story day
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/something-else-entirely-2017-10-04

In summary Jace and Vraska fall in love while Vraska shares her life story and then their boat crashes
Yeah, not much more to add.
* Jace is perfectly content learning things on the ship.
* They go to the floating pirate city High and Dry, where a merfolk overhears them talking about the compass.
* Jace realizes he can read minds.
* Vraska tells him about Ravnica, but not that it's another plane. She tells him he campaigned for a political position there with the slogan "Jace is Ace", which he doesn't believe.
* Vraska first planeswalked while being beaten in an Azorius prison, but just ended up in another prison.
* Jace takes apart the compass to figure out how it works. It responds to planeswalking energy.
* They're approached by a Legion of Dusk ship and assaulted by waves, presumably from merfolk, causing the ship to crash against a shore wall.

OnPoint

The story is hilarious. They really are shipping Jace/Vraska huh? I hope they go far enough ahead with it to have him not recognize Lili and have her get all sad and stuff when they strut in hand in hand. Just really dial it all the way in if you're going to do it

Totally calling it from the description, Ugin is involved with Ixalan somehow. The passage of a "Sun being stolen by a winged creature and then hidden"+Bolas wanting it just screams "Ugin" to me.

Plus, with them having now established Bolas a legitimate threat with 3+ Walkers(Tezerret, Ral, Vraska on Contract, and possibly Dovin) in his employee+The Eternals he's more of a threat to the Multiverse than the Eldrazi were. Icon should hopefully realize this.

Justin

The story is hilarious. They really are shipping Jace/Vraska huh? I hope they go far enough ahead with it to have him not recognize Lili and have her get all sad and stuff when they strut in hand in hand. Just really dial it all the way in if you're going to do it

They are shipping them on a literal ship. How poetic.

To be fair though, I haven't read many of these stories but this one seemed pretty well written compared to the other ones I have.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I bet you anything they chicken out and Jace doesn't get any gorgonookie.

OnPoint

I bet you anything they chicken out and Jace doesn't get any gorgonookie.

My prayer is that they are using this as an opportunity to make Jace a more likeable character. Tear down the sour, boring stuff people seem to dislike and give him a happier, more vibrant personality. Then slowly feed back his talents. Eventually he SHOULD get his memories back, but he should have grown as a character because of this and not return to the old boring beta we all have come to be sick of.

Part of that should totally be having a Gorgan girlfriend.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think Jace is that annoying normally. I consider him far less annoying than Gideon who just reads like some kind of ridiculous mono-white caricature. Really, the obsession with making them have color-pie characteristics is what makes the Gatewatch members that aren't Liliana annoying.

Ashodin

Every time I've seen Angle of Invention used outside of being resurrected with God-Pharaoh's Gift I've seen it eat a removal spell instantly. It needs 4 toughness so badly.
Dusk // Dawn gets back every creature in the deck from the yard.

With all the incidental life gain and stuff you should be able to keep reviving your team. Thinking of even sideboarding Inspiring Cleric too, 4 life swings are huge

My prayer is that they are using this as an opportunity to make Jace a more likeable character. Tear down the sour, boring stuff people seem to dislike and give him a happier, more vibrant personality. Then slowly feed back his talents. Eventually he SHOULD get his memories back, but he should have grown as a character because of this and not return to the old boring beta we all have come to be sick of.

Part of that should totally be having a Gorgan girlfriend.

Yeah, this Jace is MUCH more likable than Jace 2.0(How many times has he lost his memory before anyway?)

Vraska actually wanting redemption is an interesting character trait, I wonder if they're going to position her with the choice of redemption or leading the Golgari?
Of course they are.
And she'll make the wrong choice.

I don't think Jace is that annoying normally. I consider him far less annoying than Gideon who just reads like some kind of ridiculous mono-white caricature. Really, the obsession with making them have color-pie characteristics is what makes the Gatewatch members that aren't Liliana annoying.

You just say that because being a functional adult is in black's color pie.

You just say that because being a functional adult is in black's color pie.
:raises hand to object:
:realizes that of Tarkir, Black was the closest thing to a shared color among the "adult" factions:

I mean, The Temur punched bears and the Jeskai were the nerdy kids who memorized the encyclopedia.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, this Jace is MUCH more likable than Jace 2.0(How many times has he lost his memory before anyway?)

Vraska actually wanting redemption is an interesting character trait, I wonder if they're going to position her with the choice of redemption or leading the Golgari?
Of course they are.
And she'll make the wrong choice.

Twice. He got mind fucked around Alara block but most of that isn't canon anymore, or at least stops being canon whenever WOTC decides its not convenient. At this point the only part of Agents of Artifice we can say is still true is that he had an encounter with Tezzeret.

The reason people are responding positively to Vraska is because they wrote her as an actual person and not whatever the fuck they assume a Green/Black character is like.

Twice. He got mind fucked around Alara block but most of that isn't canon anymore, or at least stops being canon whenever WOTC decides its not convenient. At this point the only part of Agents of Artifice we can say is still true is that he had an encounter with Tezzeret.
Confirmed as still Canon: He had an encounter with Tezzeret, and Liliana was involved to the point where she's able to convince him to leave Ravnica to chase after him.

Angry Grimace

Confirmed as still Canon: He had an encounter with Tezzeret, and Liliana was involved to the point where she's able to convince him to leave Ravnica to chase after him.

I'm mostly getting at the idea that I don't think we can take the specific facts in Agents of Artifice as necessarily canon anymore since lots of the details just get changed whenever WOTC finds it convenient to change them.

Ugh if they ever go back to Zendikar for more ASHAYAAAAAA interactions with Nissa. Nissa makes the story tedious as hell. A lot of people thought that they wrote Nissa as being on the autistic spectrum, but I don't see it that way at all. I think it's that they were horrible at writing a mono-green character so they made her into some kind of weird hermit. I'm not saying I expect highbrow stuff out of my card game fiction, but the reason people like Jace 3, Vraska and Liliana is because they get written like actual people and not weird personifications of the color pie. We get it, Chandra is impulsive.

y2dvd

My lgs started competitive EDH league again last night. Played Aurelia...that was a mistake lol. I can't draw as many cards! ;_;

I think in order to compete with the same deck, Imma just run shit like Blood Moon and Armageddon.

Totally calling it from the description, Ugin is involved with Ixalan somehow.

Jay Annelli has been flogging this theory on Twitter for a while now. Above and beyond any of that stuff, there's just a ton of feathered-serpent-with-horns imagery and other things that closely tie in with Ugin's general aesthetic.

Card Boy

Banned
My lgs started competitive EDH league again last night.

This failed hard at my LGS noone showed up. Meanwhile at my other LGS EDH is free and we get promos just for playing (not recent promos, just leftover stuff). It was nuts playing 8 player Planechase Commander.

Top Bottom