• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Ashodin

Enjoying the give-no-fucks "eff the haters" Gaby here.

3121337722c50195ec3a800cdcf6ad84.png

guy needs to take his shirt off because he's getting too bothered.

better yet just make him blind with it so he can't see misplays

I started the SO stream to see what everyone was taking about and the first thing I heard was him getting caught vaping.

aw man he fuckin' vapes too? Just another thing to dislike.

Gaby is a good magic player. I'm astonished how often this bears repeating.
aw man he fuckin' vapes too? Just another thing to dislike.
I find it weird to dislike someone for a vice that doesn't affect you.
Like I get disliking people vaping in your presence, or even worse smoking, for that matter but you're not even seeing Seth do it.

Unless that was sarcasm.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Like I get disliking people vaping in your presence, or even worse smoking, for that matter but you're not even seeing Seth do it.

Unless that was sarcasm.
Ashodins seething hatred for all thing saffronolive is real

Ashodin

Unless that was sarcasm.

I have a general distaste for vaping, mainly because I have yet to meet someone who's respectful about it to others.

(always hated smoking, parents had it as a habit for a long time)

Like IDGAF if you vape per se, just don't be a dick about it.

I feel like I would need to see how SaffronOlive vapes around people to judge.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Unless that was sarcasm.
Gaby is like LSV compared to SaffronOlive.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hey guys, maybe you all can help me out. I'm brand new to the game. I have some experience with Hearthstone for those of you not familiar already. I'm trying to build my first homebrew deck. I only have Ixalan cards so I can't work with much outside the set. I'm looking to build either a Gruul or Naya dino deck given what I have. Seems like one of those is the best kind of deck I can make given what I have to work with.

First thing is I'm trying to evaluate the creatures and land that I have and trying to pick between Naya or Gruul. I'm listing out the dinosaur and dinosaur-synergy cards I have, maybe you all can tell me if I'm on the right or wrong track with these valuations.

Good Cards?
-----------------------
1x Gishath, Sun's Avatar - This card plus Imperial Aerosaur is like the only reason I'm considering Naya over Gruul but goddamn if this card doesn't tickle my nipples.
2x Regisaur Alpha - Uh, duh. Of course I play this.
1x Ripjaw Raptor - This card seems pretty damn good to me, but maybe at 2GG I can only afford to play this in Gruul not Naya?
3x Drover of the Mighty - Uh, 1 mana of any color OR a 3/3 for 1G? How do I not play this in every Gruul or Naya dino deck?
2x Ranging Raptors - Feels like it's either a 2/3 psuedo-flyer or well statted ramp card, right? I play this Gruul or Naya?
3x Savage Stomp - Seems like essential creature removal in a Gruul or Naya dino deck, right?
4x Grazing Whiptail - I feel like I have to have some sort of reach if I'm playing Gruul but maybe I don't need this in Naya?
4x Colossal Dreadmaw - I don't have Carnage Tyrant so this feels like it has to do for at least part of my top end. Are there any situations where I cut this in Gruul or Naya?
1x Rampaging Ferocidon - This feels really good in Gruul but I'm not sure about Naya since I feel like I want some lifegain in Naya.
3x Burning Sun's Avatar - This feels bad to me in Naya but could I play this instead of Colossal Dreadmaw in Gruul?
3x Dinosaur Stampede - Do I want this to finish out the game? I feel like I do.
2x Charging Monstrosaur - This just looks like a solid beater in the late game, right? I play this in every dino deck?
4x Tilonalli's Knight - I could be convinced to cut it but feels really efficient to me?
1x Priest of the Wakening Sun - I only have one of this guy but I feel like I need something like this if I plan to go longer in a Naya deck, tutor out Gishath or something.
4x Imperial Aerosaur - I played this during prerelease and it felt nuts. Having a flyer is nice and it has a nice bonus when it enters the battlefield? This is a must in Naya, right?
4x Territorial Hammerskull - Still new but this effect sounds really good to me as a solid midrange card in Naya. But maybe it's not as good as I think it is?

Fair cards?
-----------------------
2x Sky Terror - I mean, this is probably too inconsistent for Naya, right? Seems very good in a Boros deck but I have a feeling I can't play this because it's not reliable on curve.
1x Otepec Huntmaster - Giving other dinos haste feels kind of amazing but it's not a solid creature by itself. Maybe only in a fast Boros dec wither fewer hasters?
4x Nest Robber - I'm not entirely sure how the formula looks like for haste, but this seems like a must if I went more aggresive, right?
1x Snapping Sailback - I'm not sure how to evaluate a surprise blocker?
3x Raptor Hatchling - My Hearthstone instincts tells me that sticky minions are good, but I have no idea if this is too slow for MTG or not.
1x Verdant Sun's Avatar - This feels too expensive for a 5/5, but maybe the lifegain is worth it in a Naya deck until I can pull my finishers?
3x Ravenous Daggertooth - The lifegain doesn't feel like much on this, feels like it'll just get eaten and maybe heal for two.
2x Bonded Horncrest - I don't have a feel for how often I'll actually have another creature on board... but seems like good synergy with Regisaur Alpha.
4x Thrash of Raptors - Feels like it dies too easily?
4x Sun Crowned Hunters - I think I have other 6-drops I'd rather play?
1x Steadfast Armasaur - Vigilance is nice but I'm not sure if a 2/3 for 4 CMC is worth it? But maybe the ability is too good. I don't really know.
4x Kinjalli's Caller - Maybe I want this in Naya or if I was going more aggressive but otherwise Drover of the Mighty feels better to me.
4x Looming Altisaur - Kills basically nothing. Do I want something this slow in Naya?
1x Raging Swordtooth - Maybe this is okay but I feel like I have other stuff I'd rather play at 5 CMC?

Bad cards?
----------------------------
4x Pterodon Knight - It's no Imperial Aerosaur
2x Thundering Spineback - Eh? Feels expensive and slow to me?
4x Spike Tailed Ceratops - I don't know how good double-block is but 4/4 for 5 CMC feels bad to me.
4x Ancient Brontodon - This reminds me of Ultrasaur in Hearthstone. Big dumb thing that I don't want.
4x Bellowing Aegisaur - The stats are not impressive and I'm not feeling in upside unless I'm really going wide, which I don't think I will in most cases?
4x Raptor Companion - Dies to everything.
4x Shining Aerosaur - This feels understatted to me? Am I wrong?
4x Belligerent Brontodon - Adorable with Looming Altisaur but otherwise I have no idea why I'd play this in a dino deck. The stats don't work out for the effect to have any meaning.

Relevant lands
---------------------------------
2x Rootbound Crag
1x Sunpetal Grove
1x Unclaimed Territory
4x Unknown Shore

Ashodin

Yeah go RG instead of Naya.

Since Drover of the Mighty can tap for any color you don't need to go full Naya to cast Gishath.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Since Drover of the Mighty can tap for any color you don't need to go full Naya to cast Gishath.

Can I realistically pull that off with only three or four sources of white mana in the deck? I mean I'm thinking I put the three drovers in my deck regardless, but if I don't have a drover on board when I pull Gishath he just sits dead in hand.

To cover just some points:
* If Gishalt excites you, then that's enough reason to play a Naya deck with it.
* Imperial Aerosaur isn't really that great in Constructed. If you don't have another creature already when it enters the battlefield, then it's just a 3/3 flier for 4.
* Ripjaw Raptor is worth playing even in a three color deck.
* Drover of the Mighty is a must if you're playing three colors.
* Grazing Whiptail isn't that great. You don't want to be defensive in a dino deck.
* Savage Stomp is indeed great removal for this deck, and note that it triggers enrage.
* Dinosaur Stampede isn't that good. Again, consider if you don't have another creature on the battlefield, or even just one creature.
* Though many of the humans are helpful, you don't want too many, or else you won't have enough dinosaurs.
* Your choices for top ends are fine, but remember you don't want too many, or else you'll never be able to cast creatures.
* Otepec Huntmaster is better than you think.

SmokeMaxX

4x Drover + Sunpetal Grove + like 1 Unclaimed Territory (maybe?) and/or a Plains and that's way good for casting Gishath.
It'd be different if the thing you're splashing was a 1 drop, but Gishath is like an 8 drop so won't need the white mana until you've gone through almost a quarter of your deck.

Ashodin

4x Drover + Sunpetal Grove + like 1 Unclaimed Territory (maybe?) and/or a Plains and that's way good for casting Gishath.
It'd be different if the thing you're splashing was a 1 drop, but Gishath is like an 8 drop so won't need the white mana until you've gone through almost a quarter of your deck.

Exactly my thoughts. By the time you are going to cast him you'll have a source of mana.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you want to play King Dino just put some white in the deck. You don't have to play White more than that.

For all my brewing, I've been having the most success with what I can only assume is a pretty stock energy deck. I haven't looked at any decklists or tournaments yet, though.

sdfsdfw2kio.png

Son1x

I was thinking of building a standard deck but checked the local meta. Yesterday 13 players attended and 7 of those were Energy Decks (4c and Sultai). Yea, I'll just stay at modern.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";251123375]For all my brewing, I've been having the most success with what I can only assume is a pretty stock energy deck. I haven't looked at any decklists or tournaments yet, though.

sdfsdfw2kio.png
[/QUOTE]

it's close to some top lists

most energy decks want producers and consumers

you don't want to have 15 energy with nowhere to spend it. don't know if you've run into that yet, but you might want more energy sinks

traveler

Not Wario
Gaby is absolutely better than your average FNM warrior/champion, and I'd wager a large portion of the community personalities from what I've seen of her and their play. I know he has a top 8 and I don't want to disparage his skill, but I'd wager Gaby beats Frank Lepore more times than the reverse.

y2dvd

I was thinking of building a standard deck but checked the local meta. Yesterday 13 players attended and 7 of those were Energy Decks (4c and Sultai). Yea, I'll just stay at modern.

That's your local meta. There seems to be a lot of decks to actually choose to play with atm. Not sure why you would let their decks stop you. Also those two decks along with Ramunap Red were the easiest decks to carry over after rotation.

Son1x

That's your local meta. There seems to be a lot of decks to actually choose to play with atm. Not sure why you would let their decks stop you. Also those two decks along with Ramunap Red were the easiest decks to carry over after rotation.
Because I find energy to be among the worst additions in Magic and I was hoping for a varied local meta, which I was expecting since almost no one played Cat Combo or Marvel back then. Half the decks used to be some brew/janks too.

But yes, I'd only play here anyway so I only care what is played at my LGS. Nowhere did I claim that standard is bad or that my LGS represents the current meta.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
i don't have strong saffronolive opinions because i mostly watch limited

but if i had to compare numot/calebd/gaby/marshall i wouldn't know where to start
Caleb has the best resume of all of them. I'd say he is a step above then probably Kenji.

I haven't watched Kenji in a while so he might have changed, but I always thought he'd be really good if he slowed down his pace of play a bit. That dude was just flying through games.

Justin

The biggest strike for me against SO is how much time he spends taking to the chat when he should be playing. It seems really inconsiderate to his opponents to be playing so slow. I will second that Gabys streams are really good. They should have her do more GP/PT coverage since I found her to be really good when she did the Vegas GP.

SO plays soooo slowly. And honestly, he's not that good.

I'm being a little unfair of course. He's obviously a competent player, he's just an entire tier below the other streamers we're talking about.

Angry Grimace

it's close to some top lists

most energy decks want producers and consumers

you don't want to have 15 energy with nowhere to spend it. don't know if you've run into that yet, but you might want more energy sinks
Needs Whirler Virtuoso.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";251123375]For all my brewing, I've been having the most success with what I can only assume is a pretty stock energy deck. I haven't looked at any decklists or tournaments yet, though.

sdfsdfw2kio.png
[/QUOTE]

What app is that? Or is that magic online?

Didn't like x-mage interface that much :s

Neoweee

I'm really liking Ixalan as a draft format, after about 12 or so events. It seems like it is pretty open, and Merfolk aren't as rage inducing as I expected since players in Blue and Green know to take some of the Merfolk-deck things because they're good on their own. I like that there's good 1 drops, good 2 drops, and all of the auras are at least playable.

Joe Molotov

I don't think I've ever seen a series of punts like SaffronOlive in this game. He spent 20 minutes laughing and ignoring the chat telling him specifically what he was fucking up so his opponent went to 75 life and he lost on time. Like, we were practically shouting at him to get rid of Anointer Priest and not let him embalm them with 2 Anointed Processions and a Hidden Stockpile out but he just ignored it and then couldn't kill his opponent.

My favorite SO video is the one where he spends ~5 minutes comboing off, ulting multiple planeswalkers for no real reason, cheating in an Emrakul, laughing maniacally the whole time and begging his opponent not concede so he could finish out his turn, then he gets Deflecting Palm'ed for the L.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
My favorite SO video is the one where he spends ~5 minutes comboing off, ulting multiple planeswalkers for no real reason, cheating in an Emrakul, laughing maniacally the whole time and begging his opponent not concede so he could finish out his turn, then he gets Deflecting Palm'ed for the L.
He was still laughing manically after that happened.

Justin

Some pretty great matches so far

That Duke/Calcano match was awesome. Calcano is the guy who drafted the 3-0 six Slitherblade deck at PT Amonkhet. He has drafted BR Auras with 3 Blight Keepers and 4 Swashbucklings.

Neoweee

Some pretty great matches so far

That Duke/Calcano match was awesome. Calcano is the guy who drafted the 3-0 six Slitherblade deck at PT Amonkhet. He has drafted BR Auras with 3 Blight Keepers and 4 Swashbucklings.

Swashbuckling is a legit card. It really flies under the radar compared to the two better auras and the green counters combat trick, but it does work.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Has anyone received an email confirming that they're in the priority queue for Arena? Weren't they supposed to go out this week?

Justin

Has anyone received an email confirming that they're in the priority queue for Arena? Weren't they supposed to go out this week?

I see a couple people posting on twitter they got them within the last few minutes so they are going out now.

ultron87

Oh, hey. Linking my Duels account actually worked and I got priority from that. Yay! I sort of just expected that to not actually work. Because Duels.

It's a bit of a kick in the nuts that years of playing the MTGO beta and logging bugs doesn't get you any consideration.

Of course, playing MTGO is a bit like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly, so...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
It's a bit of a kick in the nuts that years of playing the MTGO beta and logging bugs doesn't get you any consideration.

Of course, playing MTGO is a bit like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly, so...

Playing MTGO during the week of September 25th was one of the ways to get yourself into the running for the priority queue. Give it some time.

Justin

Draft is over and Standard should be starting soon.

Calcano 3-0 with his weird aura deck. Dude is good at drafting unexpected decks.

Top Bottom