• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Surprised Vraska's price hasn't climbed at all, she seems to be showing up in a lot of lists, plus I imagine she's got pretty high EDH demand.

I don't know, the treasure being taken to the golden city seems like it happened too long ago to be after Ugin woke up, but too recently to have been before Bolas defeated him a thousand or whatever years ago.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd like to think current Jace would actually consider that Ugin might know what he's talking about.

y2dvd

This failed hard at my LGS noone showed up. Meanwhile at my other LGS EDH is free and we get promos just for playing (not recent promos, just leftover stuff). It was nuts playing 8 player Planechase Commander.

We had competitive before, but casual fans weren't happy with it so they did away with it for the longest and gave out random prize support instead to encourage the bigger casual crowds to continue playing. Now they are splitting the pods between casual and competitive. Our store is big enough to support both crowds.

Ashodin

Where the hell is that Ixalan board game?

Ahhh Nov 24th. Why? To stave off the wait for rivals?

Aha Trick just replied to me on Twitter "soon" about info for it

Justin

So worlds is this weekend right? Is it just standard and limited this time?

Yeah 3 rounds of draft and 4 rounds of standard on Friday and Saturday. Sunday is standard for the top 4 and some kind of team event. Also there is an Arena event on Sunday where we will see some more gameplay.

Ashodin

I definitely want it for EDH but if I were to play Standard I'd like to put it in a Vampire deck I think.

There are going to be two more Ixalan sets? Vampires could still be a thing...

Nah just Rivals. Then we go home.

title better be

Magic: The Gathering |OT15| Dominaria - The Long Road Home

I don't know, the treasure being taken to the golden city seems like it happened too long ago to be after Ugin woke up, but too recently to have been before Bolas defeated him a thousand or whatever years ago.
I mean, I'm fully aware it's probably not Ugin given the time frame, but considering his rivalry with Bolas I'm not willing to say it's something else until we know it's not.

I mean, we're dealing with an immortal cult/church that has been seeking Orazca for a while, with the Merfolk shapers having been around long enough that they have both seen Ixalan be razed and Tishana having seen the saplings grow into massive trees.

I'd like to think current Jace would actually consider that Ugin might know what he's talking about.
He would, because this Jace is an actual human being so far and not just snarky 1 liners.

So I just did a booster draft this past Saturday, my first time doing any kind of event, and I had a lot of fun. Are there any good sites for checking what kinds of decks or strategies are popular? I am also thinking about getting in to Standard as well. I am not really looking to be as competitive as humanly possible but I'd like to do the best with what I have, if that makes sense.

edit: thanks everyone!

y2dvd

Went 3-0 in drafts today not dropping a game. UBw Favorable Wind fliers. I didn't open any money cards in draft or prize packs. My opponent in the finals rare drafted and still got reward with a Hostage Taker in his prize pack. Feels bad man lol.

Justin

yo this deck fun as fuck. I think I'll sleeve this up for FNM. I have all the cards for once!

Speaking of which, Herald of Anguish is starting to climb. Hope you all got in early

Which Tezzoret list are you running? The one from the SCG open?

I'm having a real hard time deciding what to take to Showdown this weekend. Really want to try Tezzoret or Abzan Tokens but I will have to pick up a good number of cards. Another option is a favorable winds deck but it seems kind of boring. Will probably end up just upgrading the Drake deck and running it.

yo this deck fun as fuck. I think I'll sleeve this up for FNM. I have all the cards for once!

Speaking of which, Herald of Anguish is starting to climb. Hope you all got in early

I don't think the deck is actually all that great, The most it got speaking for itself is having a pretty favoured mono red matchup.

If it gathers any traction it'll absolutely get wrecked by players being ready for it.

The Tezz deck is a little bit more resilient to sideboard hate than I would have expected, if only because the obvious line (artifact hate) is muddled by the fact that most of the artifacts it's beating you to death with are actually kind of worthless pieces of garbage.

You can hold up an Abrade to deal with one after it gets buffed by the emblem, but almost none of them are actually worth spending hate cards on before that.

Ashodin

The Tezz deck is a little bit more resilient to sideboard hate than I would have expected, if only because the obvious line (artifact hate) is muddled by the fact that most of the artifacts it's beating you to death with are actually kind of worthless pieces of garbage.

You can hold up an Abrade to deal with one after it gets buffed by the emblem, but almost none of them are actually worth spending hate cards on before that.

This is awesome

the issue is boardclears and dealing with the limited threats it has. There's frankly also next to no draw in the deck.

Kerrinck

You guys have any idea of the worth of a complete legends set (italian)? My friend is trying to get rid of it and is asking for around 2.5k. Worth it?

Son1x

You guys have any idea of the worth of a complete legends set (italian)? My friend is trying to get rid of it and is asking for around 2.5k. Worth it?
The lowest one on magiccardmarket is €1900. Supposedly all NM too. Few more at 2/2,1k.

bigkrev

It's probably worth it even if the cards are in various degrees of SP. The Tabernacle alone in Italian SP is worth well over $1000,

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: The Gathering |OT15| FINALLY! Magic... has come back... to DOMINARIA!

I'm a Rock fan, what of it
I once did this entire speech to a random FNM opponent after playing a Wingmate Roc and my opponent just stared blankly.

Rommel

During my draft last night the guy next to me opened a pack with a foil Jace and a Hostage Taker. Needless to say he bought that pack and got another for the draft.

Yeef

During my draft last night the guy next to me opened a pack with a foil Jace and a Hostage Taker. Needless to say he bought that pack and got another for the draft.
I've never been a fan of the "buy a pack" thing in drafts, especially when it's left to the player's discretion. I went to a place a few weeks back where someone opened a Liliana (not foil or anything) in a HOD draft and decided to just buy the pack and get another for the draft because he wasn't in black. It really screws with the integrity of the draft.

Justin

I hate places that let people do that. A guy in one of the drafts I was playing threw a fit when he opened a pack with a planeswalker and a bulk foil rare. The owner ended up letting him buy the pack but didn't let him return to the draft and now has a strict policy of not letting people do this.

Angry Grimace

Did you tell him to take his deck, shine it up real nice, turn it sideways, and stick up his candy ass?

I believe I held the card over my head and said

"FINALLY!

The Roc

has come back

to Standard"

and then I slammed it on the table to a blank expression of everyone around.

A friend of mine pulled a foil Gideon Jura during a booster draft at my college. Regardless of the results of his match-ups, it was a win for him. Death glares all around at his table, as I recall.

y2dvd

We aren't allowed to do that in drafts at my lgs. You're allowed to stand up and leave. No one can force you to stay, but expected to be frown upon from here on I guess. I've had God packs like that before and I see it more as sharing the wealth lol, but I've been known to pass up money cards for a more playable selection.

Since all of the Masters packs has a foil in them, we prevent such situations by allowing everyone to keep the foil and draft with the rest. The foil isn't playable tho. You can keep those double Goyfs that you opened!

Joe Molotov

You are a bitch if you buy your pack in any standard draft, straight up. Only way I could see it being justified is if we're talking Goyf/Goyf or something of that caliber in a Masters draft. And in that case just pick up your cards and leave.

OnPoint

A friend of mine pulled a foil Gideon Jura during a booster draft at my college. Regardless of the results of his match-ups, it was a win for him. Death glares all around at his table, as I recall.

Man people need to lighten up

You are a bitch if you buy your pack in any standard draft, straight up. Only way I could see it being justified is if we're talking Goyf/Goyf or something of that caliber in a Masters draft. And in that case just pick up your cards and leave.

Man people need to lighten up

If it's not a competitive draft, who cares?

Neoweee

Buying the booster is far less disruptive than packing up and leaving, and most players are price conscious and will prefer the option if the pack is worth the several times the cost of the draft.

Joe Molotov

Buying the booster is far less disruptive than packing up and leaving, and most players are price conscious and will prefer the option if the pack is worth the several times the cost of the draft.

I don't even care about integrity of the draft or anything like that. If anything, it's worse if you're just hanging out with some bros drafting for funsies. If join a draft but you can't bear the thought of someone to your left getting a $6 rare, then come get your b-card.

There are no cards in Ixalan that are worth several times the cost of a draft, and rarely are there. At best you'll be passing up around a $15-20 card, and if you need that card, do what you gotta do. But know that you have been judged.

DrArchon

Oddly, I've never seen anyone at my LGS buy a pack during a draft. Maybe it's because it's full of lower skill players who can't evaluate prices that well, or I've never drafted masters sets, but even with stuff like Invocations and Masterpieces people would just grab them and pass the pack, with the knowledge that even if they didn't make the best pick for their deck they already paid for the draft.

Maybe it's just not allowed and no one bothered to tell me.

Justin

There are no cards in Ixalan that are worth several times the cost of a draft, and rarely are there. At best you'll be passing up around a $15-20 card, and if you need that card, do what you gotta do. But know that you have been judged.

um... hostage taker is $20 and foil Jace is $30...

edit: nevermind, said "several times"

Ashodin

Yo this is hostile, taking it too far

see what I did there

Santiako

Yeah, buying the pack or leaving is shitty. I could understand in extreme situations like an Invocation and a Chandra or something like that, but in Ixalan it's just silly.

Top Bottom