• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's basically a "how DARE he be excited about a chance to win!" thing?

Fucking Magic fans are a bunch of uptight dicks. The whole community is shit when it comes to stuff like this. Who gives a fuck about sportsmanship or offending people? Why does Magic have to be so sedate?

I like magic and it's a fun puzzle, but coming from the FGC, magic really really sucks as a spectator.

I'm just glad the pro tour is over so I finally have some idea what I can expect the net deckers at FNM to show up with and I can have a more prepared sideboard. Except for the one dude who shows up every week with a red deck with a total cmc of never higher than 1.25. We always have to sideboard for him, regardless.

I feel pretty good about my abzan aggro deck, but I want to take it further down the aggro road. Blood soaked champion and master of feasts are some things I'll be play to testing this week in the abzan shell.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm hoping we will start seeing some new stuff in the Vintage super league that isn't the same pillar decks.

ultron87

I wonder if this Magic Strategy Board game they announced could actually be a thing you still play with normal cards. Could be a new set of rules that add in a board where you summon creatures and move them around with some set of rules (IE Haste things can move 2 squares and Flying moves through guys etc) and where you also have a Planeswalker figure that moves around and can get attacked and needs to maneuver to get in range for spells. Could have it work with any cards but also have some special cards that get stuff specifically for the board game (like special rules for positioning or movement and stuff).

It could come with "pre-balanced" decks that work well in the game but if you want to bring in your own stuff you can. It just might cause some weird rules stuff to happen.

Edit: It would probably end up as a game that is even more board complex than a normal Magic game, that would also take longer. So it probably isn't a good idea. But the idea of having a different ruleset interacting with the same cards is a really interesting thing to think about.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134163359]Fucking Magic fans are a bunch of uptight dicks. The whole community is shit when it comes to stuff like this. Who gives a fuck about sportsmanship or offending people? Why does Magic have to be so sedate?

I like magic and it's a fun puzzle, but coming from the FGC, magic really really sucks as a spectator.[/QUOTE]

Racism and sexism make for a much better community.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I wonder if this Magic Strategy Board game they announced could actually be a thing you still play with normal cards. Could be a new set of rules that add in a board where you summon creatures and move them around with some set of rules (IE Haste things can move 2 squares and Flying moves through guys etc) and where you also have a Planeswalker figure that moves around and can get attacked and needs to maneuver to get in range for spells. Could have it work with any cards but also have some special cards that get stuff specifically for the board game (like special rules for positioning or movement and stuff).

It could come with "pre-balanced" decks that work well in the game but if you want to bring in your own stuff you can. It just might cause some weird rules stuff to happen.

Edit: It would probably end up as a game that is even more board complex than a normal Magic game, that would also take longer. So it probably isn't a good idea. But the idea of having a different ruleset interacting with the same cards is a really interesting thing to think about.

Holy shit I had this exact idea four years ago. I even prototyped a few boards with cardboard and stuff. It was going to be an experimental roleplaying game where instead of D&D style combat you did SRPG style tactics with a Magic deck

Holy shit I had this exact idea four years ago. I even prototyped a few boards with cardboard and stuff. It was going to be an experimental roleplaying game where instead of D&D style combat you did SRPG style tactics with a Magic deck

My story idea for a magic set I was designing for fun was Sorin wandering around a desert back when he first became a planeswalker and there'd be mechanics that'd involve thirst and mirages and stuff.

Then Khans comes out and it's about Sorin wandering around a desert. Now I've got a notebook full of designs that just seem like a Khans sidestory. It's cool, I can just move around some details. Maybe stick it on a glacier or something.

I always thought I'd be fun to design my own block as a thought experiment and play it with my friends.

Lucario

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134171759]My story idea for a magic set I was designing for fun was Sorin wandering around a desert back when he first became a planeswalker and there'd be mechanics that'd involve thirst and mirages and stuff.

Then Khans comes out and it's about Sorin wandering around a desert. Now I've got a notebook full of designs that just seem like a Khans sidestory. It's cool, I can just move around some details. Maybe stick it on a glacier or something.

I always thought I'd be fun to design my own block as a thought experiment and play it with my friends.[/QUOTE]

Are there squirrels though? There should be squirrels.

Also, post your damn life's legacy deck, or at least PM it to me.

Life's Legacy

Creatures(21)
  • 4 Bloodsoaked Champion
  • 4 Fleecemane Lion
  • 4 Ashcloud Phoenix
  • 4 Phytotitan
  • 3 Zurgo Helmsmasher
  • 2 Bearer of the Heavens

Spells(15)
  • 4 Life's Legacy
  • 3 Tormenting Voice
  • 4 End Hostilities
  • 2 Rescue from the Underworld
  • 2 See the Unwritten

Land(24)
  • 4 Nomad Outpost
  • 4 Sandsteppe Citadel
  • 4 Temple of Abandon
  • 1 Llanowar Wastes
  • 1 Battlefield Forge
  • 4 Evolving Wilds
  • 1 Swamp
  • 2 Mountain
  • 2 Plains
  • 1 Forest

Sideboard(15):
  • 2 Tormod's Crypt
  • 2 Back to Nature
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 3 Drown in Sorrow
  • 3 Mardu Charm
  • 1 Abzan Ascendancy

The idea is to keep wiping the board and drawing cards until you can win with phytotitans.

Wichu

Just ordered a set of Caryatids. I was going to do it before KTK came out, but then life stuff happened and I completely forgot, and now I'm paying triple the price. Feels bad man :(

Green decks, here I come!

Also that Phytotitan deck looks pretty glorious. Love the self-reanimation/indestructible creatures, but the deck seems a bit slow... How do you not die to aggro/burn before you can start boardwiping?

How do you not die to aggro/burn before you can start boardwiping?

I haven't gotten that far yet lol. It's an FNM troll deck, but I probably just need some chunky blockers or something. Maybe replace the bloodsoaked champs with deathdealers.

Highland Game turns life's legacy into sphinx's revelation ^_^

inthrall

I think I would just add elvish mystic/caryatid for slowing their plan by a turn, and to speed out the good stuff vs other decks. A singleton whip would be fun here too, whip back a guy attack and then life's legacy it

y2dvd

I'm just glad the pro tour is over so I finally have some idea what I can expect the net deckers at FNM to show up with and I can have a more prepared sideboard. Except for the one dude who shows up every week with a red deck with a total cmc of never higher than 1.25. We always have to sideboard for him, regardless.

I feel pretty good about my abzan aggro deck, but I want to take it further down the aggro road. Blood soaked champion and master of feasts are some things I'll be play to testing this week in the abzan shell.

Expect Pillar of Lights in the sideboard. I will start throwing that and more End Hostility in the sb and make my Boros deck more control in the midrange match ups.

I think I would just add elvish mystic/caryatid for slowing their plan by a turn, and to speed out the good stuff vs other decks. A singleton whip would be fun here too, whip back a guy attack and then life's legacy it

0-1 power creatures are a nonbo with life's legacy though, and the problem with the whip is that my creatures don't have etb abilities and... quite frankly they don't really die lol

Rescue from the underworld is more a way to get bearer of the heavens after discarding it with tormenting voice/end of turn discard. Then you use Life's Legacy with it to wipe the board and draw 10 cards.

Firemind

Expect Pillar of Lights in the sideboard. I will start throwing that and more End Hostility in the sb and make my Boros deck more control in the midrange match ups.
I like Suspension Field more if the deck can't reliably cast Chained to the Rocks. Hits both Courser and Rhino too.

So I've just been jamming Quiet Contemplations into my Jeskai decks to see how it plays, and it's been overperforming. It triggers prowess by itself the first time you cast it, and after that it's just disgusting with the rest of your removal/tempo spells. And it goes really late; you never have to spend a real pick on it.

I always thought of it as a build-around, but in reality, I've just been drafting Jeskai tempo, picking it up late, and realizing during deckbuilding that it's the perfect card for my deck. Honestly, I'm kinda shocked. I don't think I would ever put more than one, but having it as a one-of has been insanely good for me so far.

Negator

I'm not convinced about contemplation. Every time my opponents try to use it they just die horribly. It's gotten to the point where if my opponent plays one, I'm like 'Oh thank god, this game is locked.'

Firemind

I sided contemplation in once, but only because I got paired against knuckleblades. That card is a beating.

Also, lol I just opened another Sarkhan. Praise the rng gods.

edit: well this is the most awkward jeskai deck i ever drafted

y8xs7b7.png

No u/r cards in the sideboard? I'd cut every white card there if possible. Maybe splash the mantis but I don't think you're getting enough value back for the inconsistency.

Firemind

I notice people have been following the pros and not passing duals like candy anymore.

The Jeskai dream is dead. I have to follow GB's advice now. :sob

What's your opinion on Briber's Purse? It's either that, a second Disdainful Stroke or Bloodfire Mentor.

Wichu

So I opened half a box to play some sealed with a friend.

Two Polluted Deltas, a Windswept Heath, Narset, Mantis Rider, Jeskai Ascendancy, Utter End, and a FOIL Durdle Turtle! I think that went quite well - looking forward to the rest of the mythics that should be in the other half :p

(Also that takes me up to three Deltas. Time to borrow my brother's copy and play U/B?)

EDIT: Also a Bloodsoaked Champion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can already tell I'm going to get just as tired of the Jessica deck as I was of the 2 or 3 viable Theros block standard decks. Its not an unbeatable deck, or anything, I can just tell I'm going to get tired of playing a Tier 1 burn deck.

ElyrionX

Was Jeskai Tempo against Abzan Midrange yesterday. Thought I had managed to stabilized the board with some neat combat tricks and was expecting to win next turn until my opponent drops a Sorin to buff his Wingmates and gained 8 life off of them. That was backbreaking and that single card swung the momentum around so much that I couldn't recover.

Also, I really need to remember the raid trigger of wingmate more often and to play around it.

kirblar

I can already tell I'm going to get just as tired of the Jessica deck as I was of the 2 or 3 viable Theros block standard decks. Its not an unbeatable deck, or anything, I can just tell I'm going to get tired of playing a Tier 1 burn deck.
Yeah, it was obnoxious last season, will be obnoxious this season.

OnPoint

Just ordered a set of Caryatids. I was going to do it before KTK came out, but then life stuff happened and I completely forgot, and now I'm paying triple the price. Feels bad man :(

Green decks, here I come!

Also that Phytotitan deck looks pretty glorious. Love the self-reanimation/indestructible creatures, but the deck seems a bit slow... How do you not die to aggro/burn before you can start boardwiping?
Aw man I have some I'm looking to trade!

6-0 in games at the draft tonight with UR Tempo. Bloodfire duder with force away interactions too strong.

One of my opponents actually called my deck an inspiration when I hit him with that combo lol

^_^

My deck:

Creatures(11):
  • 2 Wetland Sambar
  • 2 Leaping Master
  • 1 War-Name Aspirant
  • 2 Mystic of the Hidden Way
  • 2 Bloodfire Expert
  • 1 Ainok Tracker
  • 1 Riverwheel Aerialists

Spells(12):
  • 1 Force Away
  • 1 Singing Bell Strike
  • 1 Trumpet Blast
  • 3 Crippling Chill
  • 1 Arc Lightning
  • 2 Winterflame
  • 2 Arrow Storm
  • 1 Dig Through Time

Land(17):
  • 1 Tranquil Cove
  • 1 Plains
  • 8 Mountain
  • 7 Island

Sidebar:
1 Bring Low
1 Shatter
1 Valley Dasher(I bring this in on the draw)
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Cancel
2 Summit Prowler

I've felt like the key to the archetype here is being about half creatures and half spells. You want about 5 2-drop creatures and about 5 3-drops, with 2 or 3 top end cards like Riverwheel Aerialists.

You want to draft spells first and creatures second, getting 1-2 UR taplands at the end of packs. The exceptions are Jeskai Windscout and Mystic of the Hidden Way, which are the key creatures to the deck and you want to take every copy available.

When it comes to spells, Crippling Chill is the glue of the deck that just does everything, but it's important to take force away because 2-mana spells are huge for the game plan. Arrow Storm is another key card that ends the game just as your opponent begins to stabilize. Arrow Storm and Mystic are the key finishers here. The more I play the deck, the less I like counters and going too hard on Trumpet Blasts(unless you get hordling outburst).

There are a couple cards that give the deck problems. Mostly arc lightning and anything with lifelink. But you're still just jamming cards, so I wouldn't worry too much. That's what bounce and tap cards are for.

I do the same, GB. I can't draft anything but UR tempo; sometimes splash white to be Jeskai, and sometimes green to be Temur (with a preference for Jeskai). I agree with most of your points, although I'm not super impressed with Mystic of the Hidden Way (it's not super mana efficient, and the archetype is all about subverting the expectation that you have to invest oodles of mana to have meaningful board impact).

I completely agree on Arrow Storm. I had a game yesterday that went like this: attack with Watcher to 14, Arrow Storm to 9. Next turn Warden back the Arrow Storm, attack to 7. Then next turn attack to 5, Arrow Storm for lethal. The card does not get enough respect. It turns out that when your Lava Axe can be removal too, it's super good.

I would also put Treasure Cruise high on the list. You're constantly casting spells which go to your yard, and your opponent is trying to remove your stuff; I cast that card for 1-2 regularly in this archetype.

Wichu

Speaking of Treasure Cruise and removal, is Grixis control viable this format (and any card recommendations?)

I know Khans is a wedge set, but the rest of the block won't be. I'd like to see the shards get some love.

f0rk

Speaking of Treasure Cruise and removal, is Grixis control viable this format (and any card recommendations?)

I know Khans is a wedge set, but the rest of the block won't be. I'd like to see the shards get some love.
Not really sure what else you want in blue, white is much better.

Firemind

Not really sure what else you want in blue, white is much better.
Dig Through Time. Prognostic Sphinx. Dissolve. Ashiok. PLA.

Mardu shell will eventually run out of gas, as was the case with Raphael Levy in the control matchup.

The problem with grixis is that your best cards cost double mana (anger of the gods, hero's downfall, dig through time) and, unlike mardu, you don't have access to trilands.

I'm sure a grixis shell exists. Just need a few more cards to push it to tier 1.

My heart never beats so hard during draft as when I have 1 life left and I swing out for barely lethal with double trumpet blast for 15 unblocked damage. "Please don't have removal, for the love of god"

I do the same, GB. I can't draft anything but UR tempo; sometimes splash white to be Jeskai, and sometimes green to be Temur (with a preference for Jeskai). I agree with most of your points, although I'm not super impressed with Mystic of the Hidden Way (it's not super mana efficient, and the archetype is all about subverting the expectation that you have to invest oodles of mana to have meaningful board impact).

Mystic is the best possible ground creature for Jeskai. It's free repeatable damage. It's also your most mana efficient morph, since it unmorphs for three. That means on turn 5 you can either drop a mystic or morph it + a 2 drop, then unmorph next turn and attack with a 3-mana spell up like trumpet blast. It comes down around the time your opponent stabilizes and if they don't have removal the game is over. It's also a 5-drop, not a 6-drop like the other good morphs which is important. It's your most evasive creature, and it's a pretty good clock.

Don't think of Mystic as a creature you have to spend more than 3 mana on. Think of it as a creature that has a spell attached, you don't need crippling chills and force aways to guarantee damage with it. I can't overstate how crucial the card is. Not having at least two is brutal.

As far as splashing, I'm doing it less and less. If it's something like Mantis Rider or High Sentinels, than yeah. But I'm passing pretty much everything that isn't UR. I don't even play Efreet Weaponmaster or Warden of the Eye anymore. I don't ever want to stumble on mana. I even passed two Elephant Tuskers when I built this deck.

That said, I've been leaning towards Temur more than Jeskai lately just because of how insane Savage Punch is with Bloodfire Expert.

I would also put Treasure Cruise high on the list. You're constantly casting spells which go to your yard, and your opponent is trying to remove your stuff; I cast that card for 1-2 regularly in this archetype.
I mean, it's fine. It doesn't do anything that you really need if you're playing crippling chills and weave fates. Sorcery speed is something that's really annoying to me, which is one of the reasons Mardu Warshrieker is going lower and lower on my pick order. I want to play things during combat or my opponent's turn.

Firemind

I played against a deck in the finals last night that went mantis rider -> impersonator -> master the way -> warden. Game was brutal. He also had an instigator and ashcloud phoenix. No u/r deck is going to beat that. :lol

I played against a deck in the finals last night that went mantis rider -> impersonator -> master the way -> warden. Game was brutal. He also had an instigator and ashcloud phoenix. No u/r deck is going to beat that. :lol

Well, yeah, if it's just a better UR deck then what can you do lol. The worst is I played another draft last night and my first opponent had the lifelink outlast guy and siege rhino. Plus a bunch of instant speed removal that made my trumpet blasts sad. Then my second opponent trolled it up with the same outlast guy and even more lifelink creatures. And goddamn seeker of the way.

I can't beat a high density of lifelink. One or two creatures I can wrangle, but man. My round two opponent was a master, though. Dude played around a disdainful stroke he never saw when I had two mana up by playing a 1 and 3 drop, then played the 4 drop when I had to tap out to avoid dying.

Firemind

That's exactly what happened to me! I had disdainful stroke to counter his impersonator and somewhat try to get back to the game, but I decided to try to race mantis rider instead. Big mistake haha.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";134292824]Mystic is the best possible ground creature for Jeskai. It's free repeatable damage. It's also your most mana efficient morph, since it unmorphs for three. That means on turn 5 you can either drop a mystic or morph it + a 2 drop, then unmorph next turn and attack with a 3-mana spell up like trumpet blast. It comes down around the time your opponent stabilizes and if they don't have removal the game is over. It's also a 5-drop, not a 6-drop like the other good morphs which is important. It's your most evasive creature, and it's a pretty good clock.

Don't think of Mystic as a creature you have to spend more than 3 mana on. Think of it as a creature that has a spell attached, you don't need crippling chills and force aways to guarantee damage with it. I can't overstate how crucial the card is. Not having at least two is brutal.[/QUOTE]

All fair points; next time I draft, I'll prioritize a couple to see what I think.

As far as splashing, I'm doing it less and less. If it's something like Mantis Rider or High Sentinels, than yeah. But I'm passing pretty much everything that isn't UR. I don't even play Efreet Weaponmaster or Warden of the Eye anymore. I don't ever want to stumble on mana. I even passed two Elephant Tuskers when I built this deck.

That said, I've been leaning towards Temur more than Jeskai lately just because of how insane Savage Punch is with Bloodfire Expert.

Then you should love Alpine Grizzly, which is just Bloodfire Expert with an automatic Prowess trigger ;)

I mean, it's fine. It doesn't do anything that you really need if you're playing crippling chills and weave fates. Sorcery speed is something that's really annoying to me, which is one of the reasons Mardu Warshrieker is going lower and lower on my pick order. I want to play things during combat or my opponent's turn.

But what about your Prowess triggers? They really do matter. I want to be casting Cruise on my first main, getting Prowess triggers, and be loaded with gas. And Warshrieker is something that I don't prioritize (because in my experience you don't have to prioritize them to end up with a couple), but I generally won't cut them either.

Angry Grimace

I can't figure out if there is a way for a Mardu Control deck (which is just a fuckton of removal and then finishers like Elspeth/Sarkhan) to actually beat U/B control. I'm having trouble coming up with a sideboard strategy that isn't entirely transformational (e.g. side in 4 Butcher of the Horde or something).

My guess is just 3x Goblin Rabblemaster in the side and ???????

Takuhi

I can't figure out if there is a way for a Mardu Control deck (which is just a fuckton of removal and then finishers like Elspeth/Sarkhan) to actually beat U/B control. I'm having trouble coming up with a sideboard strategy that isn't entirely transformational (e.g. side in 4 Butcher of the Horde or something).

I play Butchers in the main in my Mardu control and they don't help at all. Real control decks always seem to tear pseudo (ie, non-blue) control decks apart.

I think we either have to do a transformational sideboard that replaces almost all of the removal with threats or just accept it'll be a terrible match-up and don't waste a lot of sideboard slots on it.

Angry Grimace

I play Butchers in the main in my Mardu control and they don't help at all. Real control decks always seem to tear pseudo (ie, non-blue) control decks apart.

I think we either have to do a transformational sideboard that replaces almost all of the removal with threats or just accept it'll be a terrible match-up and don't waste a lot of sideboard slots on it.

I think the best option so far is running 4x Thoughtseize, 4x Mardu Charm, 3x Rabblemaster 1x Empty the Pits and try and sneak a Pits in when they try to drop Pearl Lake Ancient or Prognostic Sphinx or when you know they're empty. Rabblemaster seems like the best option because early in the game it can't be hit with Disdainful Stroke and they likely don't have the resources to Downfall/Cut it.

Another option I've been thinking about is finding some way to limit their Delve options - even if don't have Dissolve, Dig Through Time works like one if they have enough resources to cast it for UU.

Takuhi

Hmm, Empty the Pits is as good a one-card solution as I've heard. Might be worth a slot or two.

They're so threat-light that you might get lucky and hit all of their win cons with Thoughtsieze and Mardu Charm (and maybe a Stain the Mind...?), but that strategy would take forever and we'd probably have lost game one... :/

EDIT-Actually, the more I think about it, the better that sounds... You can hit the Pearl Lake Ancient with Mardu Charm at any time and they'll probably side out Ashiok, if they run it, so Stain the Mind for Prognostic Sphinx could be game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom