• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the GP finals: Love the basic mountains in the G/R deck. I love a lot of the older lands- went to an LGS recently to buy up some of their older basics that I liked.... Like 60 :)

I actually don't know that snowy-looking one... (EDIT: It's an Odyssey one). I get a kick out of the SCG guys when they hate on the snow-covered lands in legacy.

EDIT: is there a way to view all basics in a "visual spoiler" way? Hmm, I guess Magic Online to some degree... Any just on a website?

duxstar

k guy's lets see what you think about my deck..... I think I'm coming up with a halfway decent Temur deck that has an ok matchup against all matchups.

Basically I took a variation of this deck to an FNM, it did really well, and the only deck to really beat me handily was Mono Green Devotion, Didn't even bring a "real sideboard"just a bunch of cards I had thought might do good when i originally had the deck over a month ago.

3 Forest
4 Frontier Bivouac
2 Mountain
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Yavimaya Coast
1 Keranos, God of Storms
4 Savage Knuckleblade
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Surrak Dragonclaw
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
1 Nissa, Worldwaker
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
3 Lightning Strike
3 Temur Charm
3 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Rattleclaw Mystic
2 Temple of Abandon
2 Temple of Mystery
2 Mana Confluence
1 Shivan Reef
SB: 3 Anger of the Gods
SB: 2 Reclamation Sage
SB: 3 Stubborn Denial
SB: 2 Eidolon of the Great Revel
SB: 3 Magma Jet
SB: 2 Perilous Vault
1 Kraken
1 Goblin
1 Satyr

Now let me get to why this deck works.

Against aggro I can take the burn approach, and side into Magma Jets, Eidolon of the great revel (the card I am most unsure of), and and stubborn denial to stop the burn, and of course anger of the gods handles everything from mantis riders to goblin rabble masters. If they are using cards like stoke the flames, I can land a polukranos or Savage knuckleblade which stonewalls them and if you counter the burn they don't really have an answer for the knuckle or polukranos.

Against control it normally is one planeswalker landing and getting down, and then providing pressure and holding the denials, temur charms etc to protect your guys, or to stop their dig through times, and knuckleblade himself once stuck is a super answer to alot of things because of his bounce ability. Polukranos is also a hard answer too.

Perilous vault however is for the mono green devotion decks that just vomit out everything they need and never think of a wrath effect in these colors, that was the one match i lost too and couldnt think of an answer. just allow them to genesis hydra for 20 and then drop vault, and survive one turn, and then they're just dead next turn without their mana dorks or hornet queens to save their asses.

Just got back from GP: Los Angeles, my first GP. I only participated today in a standard side event (went to Game Day yesterday), but I still had a lot of fun.

It was really cool seeing all the pros I've seen the past year on streams and such. A lot of them are a lot taller, when you actually see them standing up. Some are even a bit pudgier. :)

I hope next time the GP comes to LA it doesn't happen when it's Game Day weekend as well, I'll definitely register for the main event next time!

Arksy

Could someone explain the difference between standard and modern to me? Is modern just what you start playing once your expensive deck gets rotated out? Why play one over the other? Do people overwhelmingly play one over the other?

Yeef

Could someone explain the difference between standard and modern to me? Is modern just what you start playing once your expensive deck gets rotated out? Why play one over the other? Do people overwhelmingly play one over the other?
Modern is everything from 8th edition and later. Standard is just the last 2 blocks (though starting with the next block, it'll be the last 3 blocks).

Modern, Legacy and Vintage are all non-rotating formats. Other than being banned, once a card is legal in Modern, it's legal forever.

Standard, on the other hand, is a rotating format. Before Khans came out, Return to Ravnica Block and M14 were in standard (along with Theros block). When Khans was released, Return to Ravnica and M14 rotated; they're no longer legal in standard.

People typically will play modern because the power level is higher which makes for a more competitive environment and they don't have to worry about their cards rotating.

Standard tend sto be the most popular because, if you're starting from scratch, it's the easiest format to get into (all of the packs are still available for sale and being printed).

Crocodile

3UU
Delve
Counter Target Spell

Too good? What do you cost this spell so that its' actually powerful and constructed playable but not problematic (in Standard at least). I feel like I could have sworn Maro said they had Logic Knot at some point in the Khans file but like Death Rattle scrapped it for a better card that is to come later in the block. I'd have to go through his recent articles to make sure I'm not imagining things though. Maybe they just mean something like:

XU
Delve
Counter Target Spell unless its controller pays X

The difference is the number of cards that are legal in tournament play which in turn influences which decks get played. Modern includes every card released in a normal card set created or reprinted in 8th edition (2003) forward to the present. It is an non-rotaing, Eternal formats - Cards enter with every set release and none ever leave unless they are banned (I think about 30 cards are banned in Modern currently). Standard includes only the most recent card sets (within the past 18-24 months) and is a rotating format so at regular intervals, cards will leave the format and no longer be legal to play. Even at its largest sizes, Standard is a MUCH smaller format with fewer cards played and an overall lower power level than Modern. They recently changed the size of Standard and how it rotates so I'll just link you to the article that explains it.

On a overall, worldwide scale, Standard is more popular due to lower barriers to entry and less complexity due to fewer weird card interactions. On a local scale, it will vary though Standard will win out more often than not.

Random Q: If I cast Peace Talks and on the next turn a Suspended card would remove its final counter and be cast automatically, does the card just stay suspended- effectively countering it?

EDIT: Of course, only if the spell was relevant (Curse of the Cabal, Rift Bolt, etc.)

Image.ashx

Kerrinck

Random Q: If I cast Peace Talks and on the next turn a Suspended card would remove its final counter and be cast automatically, does the card just stay suspended- effectively countering it?

EDIT: Of course, only if the spell was relevant (Curse of the Cabal, Rift Bolt, etc.)

Image.ashx

IIRC it stays exiled since you cannot cast it.

Hesemonni

Banned
Haven't touched Magic since Ice Age. Out of a whim I downloaded Magic 2015 on Android and crashed (literally) my way through the trial. What is the best way to enjoy Magic on PC / Android?

y2dvd

I got top 8 at Game Day with my Boros Midrange, my only loss coming from an Ensoul Artifact and Abzan deck, both coming from misplays and mistriggers. I'm kicking myself hard over it but I always learn the hard way.

I take back what I said about mono red aggro aka Boss Sleigh however they came up with that name. I almost lost to it and jeebus it comes out fast. I think I'm bumping my Anger of the Gods sideboard from 2 to 3 copies.

The lgs I now go to is absolutely awesome. The people are friendly and on any event days, they give out major prizes via raffle. You get 3 raffle tickets upon entree and you can possibly win a box, a preorder of the next set box, a foil Sarkhan, fat packs, vs boxes, sleeves, etc. Of course, I never win these things but the store is awesome for doing these things and it has made me a loyal fan.

Firemind

Boss Sligh is a portmanteau of Paul Sligh, one of the two inventors of the mono red aggro deck that preyed on the blue decks that ruled the roost at the time, and Tom "The Boss" Ross. I heard he won a couple of scg opens or something. I dunno.

I tried to give Firemind the benefit of the doubt and try out a UW-based Jeskai shell in Bestiaire just to see what would happen. I dunno, I don't think it really got there:

hmm4dq3t.png

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135131071]Bestiaire is awesome ^_^

I can't stop clicking on cards, it's fun. Who cares if it's a bunch of nonsense? :3[/QUOTE]

When I feel the need to fake-draft, I just do a draft sim on TappedOut. It's still a bunch of nonsense, but at least you generally have people making bad decisions instead of AI making bad decisions.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135135616]Forced Jeskai again, huh? Did you see my deck? 3 Seeker of the Way lol[/QUOTE]

Not enough fixing (I decided that Thousand Winds was better than a UR tapland). Just left it straight UW. Wasn't really forcing, actually; blue was just wide open (it's always wide open on TappedOut).

Matriox

Haven't touched Magic since Ice Age. Out of a whim I downloaded Magic 2015 on Android and crashed (literally) my way through the trial. What is the best way to enjoy Magic on PC / Android?

My personal preference for the Duels of the PW games is 2013, 2015 is a microtransaction mess.

Firemind

Most of my jessica draft decks are blue-based nowadays. With white you have competition from abzan and mardu, while the other blue shards, temur and sultai, want the green cards more to trigger ferocious and fuel delve. It helps blue is one of the stronger colours, so even if a few players end up in blue, you can still find strong blue cards late in the pack. If not, there are almost always red cards in the pack nobody wants to pick up.

Yeah, I'm grinding out a few practice drafts on TO as a "re-education" program. I'm forcing myself to practice conservative drafting and mana prioritization. I don't have time to actually play real MTGO drafts, but during downtime at work or while watching TV with the family, I can squeeze out a few of these and try to break some bad habits.

Most of my jessica draft decks are blue-based nowadays. With white you have competition from abzan and mardu, while the other blue shards, temur and sultai, want the green cards more to trigger ferocious and fuel delve. It helps blue is one of the stronger colours, so even if a few players end up in blue, you can still find strong blue cards late in the pack. If not, there are almost always red cards in the pack nobody wants to pick up.

Everyone's slowly coming to my side. UR is da best.

Firemind

I swear I first pick Mardu Hordechief out of packs with nothing in it, since I rarely see the card get passed to me. An effectively 3/4 for three mana is just unreal at common, especially with the abundance of morphs in the format and with Trumpet Blast in the mix. I have to say I underestimated Trumpet Blast. Sometimes I won games I had no business of winning thanks to it. Still, I don't pick it super high, since like I said the red cards often wheel and you don't want to have too many trumpet blasts in your deck. So it's definitely not #1 in the mono red pick order. :lol

Firemind

I forgot to mention Hordeling Outburst overperformed every time. This card is just unreal and one of the reasons to go U/R. Blanking skullhunters and other assorted weenies, while your fliers continue to whittle away their life points is priceless. They can't kill all of them with one spell and in the mid game the tokens can alpha rush with trumpet blast and clear the board. Goodbye, ponyback brigade, I hardly knew ya.

I forgot to mention Hordeling Outburst overperformed every time. This card is just unreal and one of the reasons to go U/R. Blanking skullhunters and other assorted weenies, while your fliers continue to whittle away their life points is priceless. They can't kill all of them with one spell and in the mid game the tokens can alpha rush with trumpet blast and clear the board. Goodbye, ponyback brigade, I hardly knew ya.
Trumpet blast trumpet blast 15 damage get bodied

kirblar

Yep. I just finished watching that video repeatedly, just to make sure I wasn't seeing something that isn't there. It turns out that, no, you can't watch that video and come to any conclusion other than that the guy is cheating hardcore.
They should lifetime him, but they won't.

Incidentally, I actually came across that technique by accident. I only have one Sorin right now because I'm waiting on the other to come in from Amazon those jerks.

So as I was shuffling I saw the Sorin as I fanned the cards back. I wanted to see if I could flip it towards the front as I shuffled and it wound up being second from the top.

I was like... huh, that's really easy. I wonder how many people have gotten away with that sort of thing over the years?

Firemind

He looks at the bottom card and puts them to the top. You only hear these stories of blatant cheating from scg opens. Wonder why that is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135154891]Incidentally, I actually came across that technique by accident. I only have one Sorin right now because I'm waiting on the other to come in from Amazon those jerks.

So as I was shuffling I saw the Sorin as I fanned the cards back. I wanted to see if I could flip it towards the front as I shuffled and it wound up being second from the top.

I was like... huh, that's really easy. I wonder how many people have gotten away with that sort of thing over the years?[/QUOTE]
I had 5 Sorin like at FNM and traded a couple of them away for more Elspeths and Xenagos and some temples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom