• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135154216]Is anybody else going to SCG Open Oakland?[/QUOTE]

I'll be at SCG Columbus Nov 8th. Oakland is a bit of a distance for me :p

On a totally different topic:

What are the odds of Treasure Cruise getting banned in Modern? Each time I see that card getting cast, I can't help but think of just how busted it really is. I mean, they banned Ancestral Visions, for heavens sakes - I can't see them leaving Treasure Cruise alone for too long. Jeskai Ascendancy might be the card that enables the more overall broken deck, but Cruise is just grossly powerful (I'm about 99% sure it's actually a better card than Ancestral Vision, TBH).

On a totally different topic:

What are the odds of Treasure Cruise getting banned in Modern? Each time I see that card getting cast, I can't help but think of just how busted it really is. I mean, they banned Ancestral Visions, for heavens sakes - I can't see them leaving Treasure Cruise alone for too long. Jeskai Ascendancy might be the card that enables the more overall broken deck, but Cruise is just grossly powerful (I'm about 99% sure it's actually a better card than Ancestral Vision, TBH).

I hadn't considered it, but your logic seems solid and yeah, it does seem superior to Visions. Maybe there will be two bans at the next announcement.

That, or maybe Faeries comes back as a contender :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hadn't considered it, but your logic seems solid and yeah, it does seem superior to Visions. Maybe there will be two bans at the next announcement.

That, or maybe Faeries comes back as a contender :p

Fae doesn't have enough in the GY to really count on Cruise as anything exciting. I guess we could start going with 4 Delta. It's actually quite a bit worse than Dig in Fae since were looking to play on our opponents turn.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135164065]UR Delver looks super fun right now. The first time in a while that I've considered modern.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just built a fun deck for Modern but I might build that for my serious one.

To be clear, I don't want it to get banned, but the card is scary good. Every time I watch UR Delver, I'm amazed at how they just never run out of gas anymore. I used to play UR Delver a little bit back when I played constructed Modern regularly, and the biggest problem I had with the deck was that you just eventually ran out of cards and couldn't win an attrition battle. Treasure Cruise changes the equation entirely, giving you outs against Thoughtseize/Liliana decks that just didn't exist before.

f0rk

LSVs videos were pretty gross but I wish he was playing at least an 8 man, none of his opponents were good

I don't know what to play in Modern right now, it's the curse of now having a good staple base. I have RUG Twin sleeved now and am interested in cutting one Twin for Dig Through Time, but Jacob Wilson's Zoo list looks sweet as well even if it isn't that new (need new fetches though). Also want to try Treasure Cruise...

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So, the same guy won the Standard/Modern opens.

This explains how that happened. http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jsuue/suspect_shuffling_at_worchester_scg_standard/

Maybe they should add "Times Mulliganed" to the Slip you have to sign at the end of a match at the Open. That would deter the shit out of this. Sure, luck (or bad luck) could play a factor into it, but over a span of 15 games and having non-stop mulligans? Odds can't be that magically in your favor.

I feel like if they ban Cruise they might also have to ban Dig. They're so close in power level that I still can't believe they were printed in the same set.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dig being legal while Visions isn't is already weird to me. Dig is a lot more powerful even with its casting cost because you're more like to reliably get cards.

Matriox

How many blue cards would that make out of total?

Just ban island and be done with it. :lol

This is going to be an extremely dumb question I'm sure, but I genuinely am oblivious. What is the colon's purpose in ":lol"?

It was from a time where bbcode existed for smilies, but people kept spamming it so Evilore removed it.

Thank you. I see it all the time, never knew what the deal was.

Angry Grimace

Removed it? What?
KuGsj.gif

Aw, I forgot about the :lol smiley. For a while I had a grease monkey script to put them back in, but eventually I just gave up.

Also, I forget sometimes that there is a NeoGaf outside of MagicGaf. It's a scary place; I don't think I've been outside of this thread in years.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
How many blue cards would that make out of total?

Just ban island and be done with it. :lol

Its just kind of hilarious how, after all the overpowered blue cards they've made, and how smart they've gotten about broken stuff in most other respects, they still consistently manage to print blue cards that make the same mistakes over and over

rexor0717

I don't know if Treausre Cruise needs to be banned, but they knew exactly what they were doing when they printed Ancestral Recall Jr. Also, I'm glad they printed it at commomn because that card would be expensive otherwise.

Crocodile

The weird things about Blue card design nowadays is that it always feels like the entire color is propped up by a few cards - more so than any other color. Like most of the other colors could stand losing a few of their strong cards but like nix the top 3-5 cards in Blue in a modern card set and the color essentially becomes unplayable. It's weird that they would concentrate the power level of cads in a color like that.That's just my conjecture/feeling though.

I gotta say, I'm not surprised at Dig or Crusie being so strong. Dig looked like a slam dunk for my unpowered Cube. When a modern blue card looks that appealing for Cube, you know its going to do well in most constructed formats :)

Cruise and Cut are both going in my Peasant cube. Seeker will get a chance too, since my white aggro creatures are a little weak at the moment. I'm considering Swiftspear too.

OnPoint

I don't know if Treausre Cruise needs to be banned, but they knew exactly what they were doing when they printed Ancestral Recall Jr. Also, I'm glad they printed it at commomn because that card would be expensive otherwise.

This is why I think we won't see a ban. They absolutely knew what they were doing here. Things would have to get out of control or be heading that way I think before they took the axe to this.

I think Jeskai Ascendancy might see a ban, but Treasure Cruise is probably going to be around for a bit.

Considering that Standard and Modern tournaments aren't dominated by blue decks, let alone decks running either card, I don't think Wizards is too worried about them yet.

rexor0717

Something tells me that the next time there's a major Modern tournament, the pros are going to bust both of them beyond belief.

I can't wait for someone to causally draw 6 extra cards in one turn for UU, outside of a combo deck. They seem so easy to abuse, especially with fetch lands.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thinking about getting into Legacy with Burn (because it's cheap, shush :p), why does this guy sideboard Ashen Rider and Satyr Wayfinders? How does he plan to cast them? Is this for Show and Tell decks?
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=74784

Ashen Rider is definitely for Show and Tell, Angel of Despair used to be used, but exile is just better.

No idea about Wayfinder. Guessing it's typo on SCGs part and it's supposed to be Satyr Firedancer. Kirblar halp

Matriox

Doing a random draft with my friends here in a few weeks. 3 packs from any block in magic and no 2 packs can be from the same block. I picked up Betrayers of Kamigawa (first set I had started going to FNM with and actually started buying packs with my own money), Zendikar (first set I came back to magic with and got 9th that year at a 200ish player tourney), and Eventide (only set I've never opened a single pack of since Apocalypse). Looking forward to shinanigans.

Apparently they just had a big Modern tournament in Japan. The finals featured a mirror match between UR Burn, featuring Treasure Cruise. Goblin Guides, Swiftspears, Eidolon, all of your favorite burn spells, and then Treasure Cruise to never, ever run out of gas.

I watched the finals match. Cruise is insane.

Wasn't Cascade the main problem with Ancestral Visions with Modern? Treasure Cruise is also hosed by graveyard hate (a popular sideboard strategy), and is prohibitively expensive for most Delver decks to hardcast, so that may be the balancing factor that keeps it from being banned.

Dig might be too good of an enabler in Modern though.

Firemind

Apparently they just had a big Modern tournament in Japan. The finals featured a mirror match between UR Burn, featuring Treasure Cruise. Goblin Guides, Swiftspears, Eidolon, all of your favorite burn spells, and then Treasure Cruise to never, ever run out of gas.

I watched the finals match. Cruise is insane.

Get your Dragon's Claws and Leylines of Sanctity ready, gentlemen.

Somewhat related, but that Travis Woo Narset Omniscience brew is quite insane. In a good way. Shine on, you crazy brewer.

Wasn't Cascade the main problem with Ancestral Visions with Modern? Treasure Cruise is also hosed by graveyard hate (a popular sideboard strategy), and is prohibitively expensive for most Delver decks to hardcast, so that may be the balancing factor that keeps it from being banned.

The problem with that is that you're siding in otherwise-useless cards to try and make it harder (not even impossible) to cast a single card draw spell. It's a losing strategy.

Cascading into Visions never happened in Modern. Mostly because Visions was never legal in Modern, but also the only cascade spell worth casting wasn't blue. Legacy has access to Shardless Agent, which is why Cascading into Visions in something that can happen.

red13th

Get your Dragon's Claws and Leylines of Sanctity ready, gentlemen.

Somewhat related, but that Travis Woo Narset Omniscience brew is quite insane. In a good way. Shine on, you crazy brewer.

It isn't his brew! He got it from somebody else, he says so in the deck tech.
Who could imagine Goryo's Vengeance would fuel ridiculous things? Seems like such a fair card to me!

Firemind

The sequence of gemstone caverns, exile narset, turn zero pull from eternity, turn one exile simian spirit guide, play goryo's vengeance, return narset, reveal and attack until you hit omniscience, draw your entire deck and cast emrakul for free is some yugioh shit. :lol

The deck literally folds to Thoughtseize, but if the Treasure Cruise Delver decks start to become more dominant and suppress attrition strategies, this sort of combo becomes better. It's weaker to hand disruption, but stronger against tempo strategies, especially since nobody really plays Spell Pierce in Modern.

EDIT: I have to imagine that Remanding a Treasure Cruise is the greatest feeling in Magic right now.

Firemind

It doesn't necessarily fold. You can dig for a second vengeance or pull from eternity with spoils from the vault as a last resort. I didn't even know that card existed until now.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
EDIT: I have to imagine that Remanding a Treasure Cruise is the greatest feeling in Magic right now.

Exactly why I don't think it needs to be banned. Remand is already huge and between it and Relic, there is enough hate that is already played. It's a great card, no doubt, but the ban talk is a little premature. We'll see if WotC agrees though.

I'm with the Cruise is OP camp, it really makes modern blue decks a pain to fight against. In our LGS even burn is splashing blue just for the extra fuel cruise provides.

Just landed 2nd place in a modern 8-man with Rabble Jund, lost to u/r Delver with 2 cruises back to back in game 3 of the final round.

Code:
4 Dark Confidant
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Goblin Rabblemaster (really happy of the performance so far)
2 Falkenrath Aristocrat (currently testing this over Olivia, seems crazy good for a surprise finisher as long as there are no flying spirits on the other side)
1 Grim Lavamancer

2 Slaughter Pact
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Abrupt Decay
1 Terminate

1 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Thoughtseize
3 Inquisition of Kozilek

4 Liliana of the Veil

4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Raging Ravine
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Stomping Ground
1 Blood Crypt
2 Swamp
1 Forest
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Wooded Foothills
2 Mutavault

SB

1 Thoughtseize
1 Rakdos Charm
2 Golgari Charm
2 Mistcutter Hydra (currently testing due to a control heavy meta, might go back to being 2 Combusts)
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Engineered Explosives
3 Fulminator Mage
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Batterskull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom