• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

More vids of LSV playing UR Delver, damn Cruise is a crazy card.
Yeah, it's unreal in attrition matchups. Oddly, though, it's dead in ones that aren't. Playing UWR Delver against Elves, for example, leaves the card stranded in your hand all game long.

Firemind

Well, he's also playing four copies. In legacy I imagine it's even more busted though since you can pitch it with fow and shuffle it away with brainstorm.

So redemptions. I've never done it before, but KtK seems pretty attractive right now even including the outrageous shipping fee. Should I or shouldn't I?

Its not actually a foregone conclusion the future will be "alternate" in Dragons of Tarkir

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion. The pulled teaser for the second set specifically mentions Sarkhan going back in time and saving Ugin's life. The Planeswalkers' Guide mentions the Temur shamans having visions of an alternate Tarkir where the dragons never died out. They are pounding the drum pretty hard.

inthrall

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion. The pulled teaser for the second set specifically mentions Sarkhan going back in time and saving Ugin's life. The Planeswalkers' Guide mentions the Temur shamans having visions of an alternate Tarkir where the dragons never died out. They are pounding the drum pretty hard.

Even "Dig through Time" has a dragon in the art

OnPoint

Even "Dig through Time" has a dragon in the art

Blue dragon confirmed to be OP, possibly bannable.

I don't wanna imagine an OP bannable dragon. But hey, let's give dragons some utility.

Cerulean Mistdancer 1URW

Creature - Dragon

Flying

1U: Draw a card, Cerulean Mistdancer loses
flying until end of turn

Discard a card at random: Cerulean Mistancer
gains haste until end of turn

Exile two dragons from your graveyard:
Return Cerulean Mistdancer to play. Use this
ability only if Cerulean Mistdancer is in your
graveyard

4/4​

Firemind

Can we just have an actual utility dragon, please?

Something like
Flametongue Whelp 2RR
Flying
When Flametongue Whelp ETB, it deals 4 damage to target creature.
R: +1/+0 until end of turn.
2/2

Grakl

How about

Flametongue Whelp 2RR
Flying, Haste
When Flametongue Whelp ETB, it deals 4 damage to target creature or player.
R: +1/+0 until end of turn. You may draw a card. If you do, then discard a card.
Protection from white.
4/4

Is that OK guys?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
How about

Flametongue Whelp 2RR
Flying, Haste
When Flametongue Whelp ETB, it deals 4 damage to target creature or player.
R: +1/+0 until end of turn. You may draw a card. If you do, then discard a card.
Protection from white.
4/4

Is that OK guys?

Dies to doom blade.

Time-Lost Proto Drake (7)
Haste
At the beginning of each of your combat steps, name a creature card. Search all libraries for a copy of this card and reveal it. Time-Lost Proto Drake becomes a copy of this creature until the end of combat.

If TLPD becones the target of a spell, turn TLPD face down.

Morph 15

0/5

Clone dragon?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Can we just have an actual utility dragon, please?

Something like
Flametongue Whelp 2RR
Flying
When Flametongue Whelp ETB, it deals 4 damage to target creature.
R: +1/+0 until end of turn.
2/2

Its Flametongue Kavu, its unprintable.

THIS FORMAT IS SIMULTANEOUSLY THE BEST AND WORST THING EVER

XbhAs5F.png

3-0 in matches, 6-0 in games. One opponent even just ragequit instead of letting me attack for lethal with 0 cards in my library.

Also, Dazzling Ramparts was surprisingly amazing. And I amend yesterday's comment: Spelljacking your opponent's Waterwhirl with Kheru Spellsnatcher might actually be the best feeling in Magic. Or surviving Duneblast by casting Treasure Cruise and deploying two threats on the same turn. Or Warden of the Eye getting back Sarkhan after your opponent all-in semi-suicides to kill it.

My Jeskai honeymoon is over. The tri-land temptress has my heartstrings now. Also, HTF did I end up with four tri-lands in this deck, all different? So lucky.

y2dvd

Went 4-0 with my Boros Midrange for WNM. Curving out from Seeker to Rabblemaster to Chandra to Wingmate Rocs was pretty nice lol. I'm liking how this deck is shaping up to be.

2-0 Jeskai Ascendancy combo
2-1 R/W Tokens
2-1 G/B Devotion
2-0 Temur Aggro

1xNyx-Fleece Ram
4xSeeker of the Way
1xHushwing Gryff
2xBrimaz
4xRabblemaster
1xAshcloud Phoenix
1xWingmate Roc
1xStormbreath
2xChandra
1xSarkhan
1xElspeth

4xMagma Jet
4xLightning Strike
4xStoke the Flames
2xChained to the Rocks
2xBanishing Lights
1xTormenting Voice

4xBattlefield Forge
4xTemple of Triumph
4xWind-Scarred Crag
10xMountain
2xPlain

My 5 slots are Wingmate Rocs, Stormbreaths, and Sarkhan. I got one of each going but I'm leaning on playing more Wingmates as the life gains from attacking with Brimaz and Rabble tokens are pretty nice.
I've been happy with Nyx-Fleece. Top decking it sucks but dropping it so early gives me such a nice life gaining advantage. I may bump it to 2 copies.
I'm not sure about Hushwing yet so testing a 1 of. It did win me a game though as it flew over everything and my opponent wanted to save his kill spell for something more threatening.
I like 2 Chandra's in the mb. It lets me push damage through and is one of the few ways for me to "draw" cards with the 0 ability.
I have plenty of mountains to hit Chains with, so I may bump up the count. One of the bonuses of just running R/W and not R/W/x.
On the other end, I lack playing all the scrylands, so Tormenting Voice is in there.
A Mana Confluence or 2 may be added. With a few heavy cmc cards, I'm not sure if I should bump my lands to 25. I figure with just two colors, 24 lands was ok to run.

SB
2xMagma Spray
2xErase
2xGlare Heresy
1xDeflecting Palm
2xAnger of the Gods
2xDevouring Light
1xHarness by Force
2xEnd Hosilities
1xElspeth

ultron87

I'm going to go to a Sealed PTQ in Dayton on Saturday. Figure I got to try at least once to spike a random tournament and get that envelope before PPTQs start. Have there been any big revelations for Sealed strategy since the prerelease? Planning on 18 lands as my default starting amount unless there's a big reason not to in the pool. Gotta land those morphs.

Exokell

Banned
Yeah, it's unreal in attrition matchups. Oddly, though, it's dead in ones that aren't. Playing UWR Delver against Elves, for example, leaves the card stranded in your hand all game long.
i think cruise works so much better in burn decks. Burn just destroys delver

ElyrionX

Went 4-0 with my Boros Midrange for WNM. Curving out from Seeker to Rabblemaster to Chandra to Wingmate Rocs was pretty nice lol. I'm liking how this deck is shaping up to be.

2-0 Jeskai Ascendancy combo
2-1 R/W Tokens
2-1 G/B Devotion
2-0 Temur Aggro

1xNyx-Fleece Ram
4xSeeker of the Way
1xHushwing Gryff
2xBrimaz
4xRabblemaster
1xAshcloud Phoenix
1xWingmate Roc
1xStormbreath
2xChandra
1xSarkhan
1xElspeth

4xMagma Jet
4xLightning Strike
4xStoke the Flames
2xChained to the Rocks
2xBanishing Lights
1xTormenting Voice

4xBattlefield Forge
4xTemple of Triumph
4xWind-Scarred Crag
10xMountain
2xPlain

My 5 slots are Wingmate Rocs, Stormbreaths, and Sarkhan. I got one of each going but I'm leaning on playing more Wingmates as the life gains from attacking with Brimaz and Rabble tokens are pretty nice.
I've been happy with Nyx-Fleece. Top decking it sucks but dropping it so early gives me such a nice life gaining advantage. I may bump it to 2 copies.
I'm not sure about Hushwing yet so testing a 1 of. It did win me a game though as it flew over everything and my opponent wanted to save his kill spell for something more threatening.
I like 2 Chandra's in the mb. It lets me push damage through and is one of the few ways for me to "draw" cards with the 0 ability.
I have plenty of mountains to hit Chains with, so I may bump up the count. One of the bonuses of just running R/W and not R/W/x.
On the other end, I lack playing all the scrylands, so Tormenting Voice is in there.
A Mana Confluence or 2 may be added. With a few heavy cmc cards, I'm not sure if I should bump my lands to 25. I figure with just two colors, 24 lands was ok to run.

SB
2xMagma Spray
2xErase
2xGlare Heresy
1xDeflecting Palm
2xAnger of the Gods
2xDevouring Light
1xHarness by Force
2xEnd Hosilities
1xElspeth

Looks good. What are your thoughts on Ashcloud? I am running it as a 1-of in my Jeskai tempo but have yet to get a chance to test it.

WanderingWind

Okay, so I may be going back on Dig Through Time and Cruise being sort of busted in Modern. I haven't played against anything not running one or both of them in the past week. And they fucking win games.

To be honest, I more dread seeing Dig Through Time. Yeah, it's drawing one less card, but it's drawing two cards that you want. It's almost impossible to whiff on it.

OnPoint

Alright, going with my wedge dragon idea, I want to make them all haha

I tried to tone down the original one minorly

Sultai Dragon 1BUG

Flying

BU: Target player puts the top 2 cards of
his or her library into the graveyard

G, Exile Sultai Dragon: Put target card
in your graveyard on top of your deck.
Use this ability only if Sultai Dragon is
in your graveyard.

4/4

Temur Dragon 1RUG

Flying

RRUU: Copy target instant or sorcery
you control. You may choose new targets
for it.

1RG: Creatures you control gain +1/+0 and
trample until end of turn. Use this ability only
Once per turn.

4/4

Azban Dragon 1GWB

Flying

1WG: You may add one counter of the
appropriate type to each permanent you
control with a counter on it. Use this ability
only once per turn.

BW, exile two cards from your graveyard:
Creatures you control get lifelink until the
end of the turn.

4/4

Mardu Dragon 1RWB

Flying

Sacrifice a permanent: Mardu Dragon
gains haste and lifelink until the end of
the turn.

RB, sacrifice Mardu Dragon: Mardu Dragon
deals 4 damage to target creature. If that
creature dies, Mardu Dragon deals 2 damage
to that creature's controller.

4/4

Jeskai Dragon 1URW

Flying

UR, discard a card at random: Jeskai Dragon
gains haste until end of turn. Draw a card.

Exile two dragons from your graveyard:
Return Jeskai Dragon to play. Use this
ability only if Jeskai Dragon is in your
graveyard

4/4

G.ZZZ

An utility dragon? For vintage it's easy:

Hoarder Dragon 2RR
Creature - Dragon
When Hoarder Dragon ETB, take control of target artifact with cmc of 1 or less.
If you control no artifact with cmc 1 or less, Hoarder dragon don't untap.
Flying
5/5

Bit harder for Legacy since there are so many ways to attack that format. But i guess a dragon with an attached Scald could be decent, or in general a blue-hosing dragon. Like a 3RR Dragon that tap for Boil!

y2dvd

Looks good. What are your thoughts on Ashcloud? I am running it as a 1-of in my Jeskai tempo but have yet to get a chance to test it.

I like it every time I played it. I forced my opponent to 2 for 1 it every time. I believe the meta will get more players to run Stormbreaths vs Wingmate Rocs. Ashcloud trades with Stormbreaths just fine. My deck is more midrange than aggro, so I usually have the mana to flip Ashcloud from facedown, giving it great staying power. It's only sideboarded out vs Boss Sligh or mono back aggro because I bring Anger of the Gods in. I may put in a 2nd copy with more testing.

Okay, so I may be going back on Dig Through Time and Cruise being sort of busted in Modern. I haven't played against anything not running one or both of them in the past week. And they fucking win games.

To be honest, I more dread seeing Dig Through Time. Yeah, it's drawing one less card, but it's drawing two cards that you want. It's almost impossible to whiff on it.

Dig reminds me of a soft Sphinx's Rev in Standards. You can really chain them together mid-late game. I was watching this U/B control player chaining 3 of them in back to back turns. It's the biggest thing lacking from my Boros deck.

Yo, charge your phone, brah! :)

4 years is pretty harsh... But it's a pretty shitty thing to be doing.

Question: Player A has Soltari Guerrillas, Player B has Fog Bank. Player A attacks and gets through and redirects it to Player B's Fog Bank. Is the damage still considerd Combat Damage? Foggy dead?

5737.jpg

FogBank.jpg

Yeef

Question: Player A has Soltari Guerrillas, Player B has Fog Bank. Player A attacks and gets through and redirects it to Player B's Fog Bank. Is the damage still considerd Combat Damage? Foggy dead?
It's still combat damage; so the Fog Bank will survive.

As long as it knows how to love, it knows it'll stay alive~

Thanks! Yeah, I had a hunch that it was, but some quick searching came up with nothing. Love the Urza art on Fog Bank. Whenever I buy some, i try to get that one.

Lucario

I hope they don't plan on reducing the ban duration like they were going to do with Bertoncini. Extremely blatant cheating like that should be met with a lifetime ban.

PfFKHbK.png

lol this fucker is completely detached from reality

WanderingWind

Yes, people who don't like to see others cheated are all neckbeards.

Because a guy who plays with pretend wizard spell cards professionally is not at all a gigantic fucking nerd.

The guy, along with Alex, deserve lifetime bans.

Firemind

What did he do again? I thought the guy who did the shuffling stacking thing was named Humphrey. Is he the double Explore guy or the Brainstorm draw four guy or someone else entirely?

Did he have to return his cash prices?

Any checks he's already cashed are his. But his winnings from the open will be donated to Child's Play.

Four years is an odd number. That is a LONG suspension and it makes you wonder why it wasn't lifetime. I'm with Kirblar - premeditated cheats deserve lifetime bans, especially when coming from people who should be mature adults (if I catch a 16-year-old stacking his deck at a GP, I'd opt to just ban him for a few years and give him a chance to grow up).

And his public reaction should warrant a suspension upgrade, TBH. His reaction indicates a complete lack of ability to self-reflect and there's zero reason to believe he's going to change. He's poison for the game, and players need confidence that when these types of players are rooted out, they'll be removed forever.

Firemind

Good that the prize payout is going to be donated. Still, other people got burned by him.

I'm with Kirblar - premeditated cheats deserve lifetime bans, especially when coming from people who should be mature adults (if I catch a 16-year-old stacking his deck at a GP, I'd opt to just ban him for a few years and give him a chance to grow up).
I don't know how prevalent this is now, but I remember young players separating their lands and nonlands into two piles, then stack the deck with two nonlands and one land, then shuffle a few times and present the deck. They didn't know better and probably got burned by mana issues in the past. I don't think they should be suspended. It's like people who don't know the maximum hand count is 7. But, yeah, sleight of hand stuff should be cause for a severe punishment.

WanderingWind

I just don't get how it's bad for the game to show that this shit isn't tolerated. Because right now, WotC is very much saying that it is. Blatant, intentional cheating of this nature, where there is verifiable proof should absolutely be met with a lifetime ban. It doesn't stop him from playing the game, but it prevents the possibility of him every profiting off the game again. Playing in sanctioned events is very much a privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom