• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What a great way to piss off two people at once.

Crocodile

I don't believe they've said any such thing. Besides, Ob Nixilis will probably appear again in Return to Zendikar, which will probably be the next block.

Once we knew we'd be avoiding characters who are already busy elsewhere in the Magic storyline, Ethan and I saw an opportunity to play into the set's theme of nostalgia and create Planeswalker cards for characters who have never had them before.

That's from this article. Makes it sound like they are avoiding making PW cards for characters involved or soon to be involved in the modern storyline. I was surprised to see Ob Nix for the same reason though I'd think Nix would be less relevant plotwise than Nahiri.

Interestingly enough, the white walker for the Magic the Gathering board game hasn't been reveled yet. I wonder........

I would bet that the blue deck has a Morph theme based on that.

Perhaps Ixidor or Ixidron will be in it. Ixidron is a sweet, sweet card.

The Black deck is filled with Morbid cards. I wouldn't be surprised if each deck has a returning mechanic running through it. It's a shame that Siren is useless in 1v1. I have little interest in cards that can't be used across formats (as opposed to just being better/good only in certain formats).

Firemind

Wait a minute, if Ob Nixilis used to be a planeswalker, then how did he lose his spark? Is it like how Teferi lost his spark during the Mending?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait a minute, if Ob Nixilis used to be a planeswalker, then how did he lose his spark? Is it like how Teferi lost his spark during the Mending?

Nahiri stuck a hedron in his head after he showed up on Zendikar looking for a way to fix the Chain Veil curse.

Firemind

Interesting. So it's not even confirmed Nahiri is the Lithomancer. Now I'm really interested what they're going to do with Ugin.

The flavour text on Ob Nixilis, the Fallen suggests that it was actually Zendikar itself that caused him to lose his spark.

Uncharted Realms article about Ob Nixilis

So what to do to pass the time? The people of this world offer little amusement. The humans of this place are cowards and vagabonds. I've hunted them, toyed with them. So dull. The elves are primitive, but at least they'll stand and fight. Their bones snap like the game birds I used to hunt, so many centuries and planes ago. And there're only so many goblins you can crush before the act loses its charm. Well, most of its charm. They do make a very funny noise. Then there's the kor. They avoid me. I avoid them. Because in each of their smug, chalky faces, I see her.

Zendikar's self-appointed protector. Nahiri.
==
Could there be a more miserable place in all the Eternities? I was drawn to it like so many others. The mana here is rich and powerful. This place is a trap. I thought that with the power to be gained here, I could purge my curse, burn out this infection and restore my form. I never got the chance to find out. I had barely finished getting my bearings when she attacked.

She never showed a scrap of emotion as she did it. Maybe the slightest hint of pity. Her binding magic was like nothing I had ever encountered. It was never even a fight, and I couldn't even scream as she bound the hedron into me.

In that moment, everything ceased.
==
My curse was stopped. The call of that faraway place just vanished. But all my power vanished with it. When I could finally rise from the ground, the bones in my shoulders crumbled. My wings were useless—they fell off a few days later. The thing she put inside me made me small. Weak. That is not something I can ever forgive. And for that, one day, I will have my revenge.

That was centuries ago. I have never seen her again. But I see her face in my mind as if it were yesterday.

And that's all the information we have about Nahiri from that article. This article mentions her once, with the context implying that she's the Lithomancer.
Nahiri was gone and her silence disturbed him, but Ugin should have sensed the danger. Why hadn't he come to Zendikar? The Eldrazi titans were a fire that could not be quenched, and Ugin's absence was strange. Sorin knew he had to find the dragon soon and hoped the two of them could once again stop the impending catastrophe.

bigkrev

B1EInURIcAAWnBZ.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Did they name this card after the reaction you're going to get from your opponents when you play it?

Next up?

1GG
You know what, you twat? Fuck You
Enchantment

Whenever your opponent casts a spell, they have to scratch your ass.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The flavour text on Ob Nixilis, the Fallen suggests that it was actually Zendikar itself that caused him to lose his spark.

Nope, it was Nahiri. He was cursed by the Veil to be stuck in demon form and then went there to fix it. Originally he was weakened in terms of his demon powers, but the removal of the hedron in M15 side-stories meant he got his wings and some of his powers back, but not his spark.

Wave of Vitriol should have been in Annihilation.

Firemind

Did they name this card after the reaction you're going to get from your opponents when you play it?
The card naming in recent years has been poop. Like, from a butt.

Wave of Vitriol? Really?

What ever happened to the awesome naming conventions for board sweepers? Like Jokulhaups, Obliterate, Pyroclasm, Mutilate, Damnation and the classic Wrath of God.

Now you have Extinguish All Hope, In Garruk's Wake, Mass Calcify and End Hostilities. A few years back there was All Is Dust, Sudden Disappearance and Disaster Radius. Disaster Radius.

red13th

The card naming in recent years has been poop. Like, from a butt.

Wave of Vitriol? Really?

What ever happened to the awesome naming conventions for board sweepers? Like Jokulhaups, Obliterate, Pyroclasm, Mutilate, Damnation and the classic Wrath of God.

Now you have Extinguish All Hope, In Garruk's Wake, Mass Calcify and End Hostilities. A few years back there was All Is Dust, Sudden Disappearance and Disaster Radius. Disaster Radius.

Well, Supreme Verdict is good.
End Hostilities is terrible :lol

Because the ad card brings them revenue? Boosters would be more expensive without them.

But tokens have ads as it is- I really don't see how 50% of one card has any appreciable value to them from an advertising point of view. You already bought / opened the product and they already have an ad for you.

Yeef

But tokens have ads as it is- I really don't see how 50% of one card has any appreciable value to them from an advertising point of view. You already bought / opened the product and they already have an ad for you.
The ads advertise upcoming products and things like the website and Duels of the Planeswalkers. Apparently the ad cards come out of the ad budget, not the product budget (or whatever it might be called), so if they stopped putting the ads in there would be no tokens at all.

Angry Grimace

They're pieces of paper they don't cost shit to make

Yeef

635501204823133396.jpg

As Flamekin Village enters the battlefield, you may reveal an Elemental card from your hand. If you don't, Flamekin Village enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {R} to your mana pool.
{R},{T}:Target creature gains haste until end of turn.

Matriox

Holy crap; I hadn't thought of that. This literally puts the colorless player out of the game.

Yeah.. My Kozilek is sad face :(

EDIT: also to make it worse, they made it sacrifice instead of destroy so you can't even try to Darksteel Forge to protect yourself.

Made some adjustments to my deck, you wernt kidding kirb about mantis riders. Those can suck to play against when someone knows how to actually play Jeskai agro. Here's my current list:

Deck: Jeskai Control

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:6
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
2 Prognostic Sphinx

Spells:28
1 Disdainful Stroke
3 Lightning Strike
1 Magma Jet
3 Anger of the Gods
3 Banishing Light
4 Dissolve
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 End Hostilities
2 Jace's Ingenuity
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Dig Through Time

Lands:26
4 Flooded Strand
4 Island
3 Mountain
1 Mystic Monastery
2 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard:15
1 Deicide
2 Disdainful Stroke
3 Negate
2 Reprisal
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Burn Away
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Resolute Archangel

Prog sphinx has been pretty essential to clogging the flyers, and they usually can't burn him twice before combat to force the tap. Went from 3-7 wl to 6-4, but I'll be doing more fnm to get where I need to be. Keranos was also pretty poor outside of a control matchup.

The ads advertise upcoming products and things like the website and Duels of the Planeswalkers. Apparently the ad cards come out of the ad budget, not the product budget (or whatever it might be called), so if they stopped putting the ads in there would be no tokens at all.

That's fair, but they print "game tips" on the ad cards, too. I'd much rather have a potentially gameplay-related token than a reminder about the clan colours. I can't help but feel that if I really needed to know that information, there's an entire internet out there. It's unlikely for the situation to be, "Oh, thank heavens I have this handy reminder card nearby!" :) I suppose if it were actually explaining a fairly complicated rule (like how the attack phase works), I might be less annoyed by them.

Also, I am looking at an ad card right now that has an ad for Magic 2014... on both sides. That's hardly necessary.

Obviously it's more complicated than I'm making it out to be, but it just feels a tiny bit silly on their part. Especially when I'm more likely to keep a token (and as a result, the ad) when I'm throwing away the packaging.

(Interesting thought: Tokens are more rare than rares. Not the individual tokens, maybe, but if you've opened a booster box, you'll have less tokens than rares.)

- - -

RE: Jokulhaups - that's pretty neat.

Lucario

Just made the decision to go to GP Jersey with Grakl; getting the last few cards I need for Combo Elves now.

Does anyone have any tips on the deck, or a link to some videos of skilled players piloting it? I'm kind of worried about the delver matchup.

Assault Suit is pretty neat. You can lease out your big creature and never worry about it attacking you, since you still control the equipment.
EDIT: The same applies to Crown of Doom, actually. Once you pass it on, you can't get it back, since you're its owner.

That's from this article. Makes it sound like they are avoiding making PW cards for characters involved or soon to be involved in the modern storyline.

I originally thought this, but given that they printed an Ob Nixilis (who was just in M15, and will assuredly show up again soon in Zendikar) I don't think it's quite right. If they print an Ajani or whatever, it's confusing in terms of when exactly he's appearing in the ongoing modern storyline. If they print a Nahiri, they can just have it be the pre-Mending Nahiri from like 2000 years ago and make her look different if she does show up again in a Standard set.

What ever happened to the awesome naming conventions for board sweepers?

They used them all up? Names are a limited resource!

Also FUCK THAT All is Dust is an awesome card name.

I'm just not happy at the length of time it took to restore my account.

They were doing you a favor by keeping you from using Magic Online.

assaultsuit.jpg

lol, this just cracks me up.

Rules question: what happens if you donate your creature with Assault Suit to an opponent, but then that opponent is killed during their turn? Does the creature revert to being under your control, or does it leave the game? Same thing for the Assault Suit: if the creature vaporizes due to its controlling leaving the game, does the equipment come back under its owner's control unattached?

Firemind

Joke deck confirmed! At least Wurmcoil Engine and Goblin Welder should make the deck, right?

They used them all up? Names are a limited resource!

Also FUCK THAT All is Dust is an awesome card name.
Lies! I can think of names right on the spot. Crashing Elephants, Sleet Storm, Acidic Rain. They should identify with green, namely nature. When I see Wave of Vitriol, I don't see a natural disaster. I see a chemist terrorist unleashing his biological weapon on cities. Nothing green about it except the colour of the chemical. Also, apparently the acid destroys artifacts, but doesn't hurt flesh.

tl;dr flavourfail and a terrible name

I can't wait to see what shenanigans arise from Daretti + The Chain Veil.

And if you squint, it almost looks like the kraken in that kraken token is destroying the Weatherlight.

ultron87

*Assault Suit*

Rules question: what happens if you donate your creature with Assault Suit to an opponent, but then that opponent is killed during their turn? Does the creature revert to being under your control, or does it leave the game? Same thing for the Assault Suit: if the creature vaporizes due to its controlling leaving the game, does the equipment come back under its owner's control unattached?

You'll get the creature back. When a player dies one of the things that happens is that any effects that give that player control of something end. So since you originally controlled the creature it goes back to you. The Assault Suit is actually always under your control, just the creature is changing hands.

Yeef

Lies! I can think of names right on the spot. Crashing Elephants, Sleet Storm, Acidic Rain
Crashing Elephants sounds like a creature, not a removal spell.
Sleet storm sounds blue, not green, since blue is the color of water and ice. Acidic Rain is too close to Acid Rain, which is already a card.

Goblin planeswalker is awesome.

OnPoint

I like the Goblin PW. I do find it kind of funny though that he doesn't fit into the typical Goblins archetype, but he is awesome nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom