• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prophecy is pretty bad, but Homelands is much worse. I can't think of a single playable card in that entire set.

Memory Lapse, Merchant Scroll, Serrated Arrows. There were a few others that were playable at the time like Ihsan's Shade and Sengir Autocrat, too.

Even so, most of the bad stuff in Homelands is just boring or underpowered; most of the bad stuff in Prophecy actively sucks fun from the game with miserable crap like the Rhystic cards and the tap-out mechanic.

ElyrionX

Luckily I just play FNM events where we don't shuffle the other guys deck. We just present it to have it cut.

Most players do this at my FNM but some players do shuffle their opponent's decks. I am fine with this but I absolutely hate the fuckers who don't take extra care when handling my cards. I don't give a rats ass that these players don't give a shit about the condition of their cards but I do so do that shit properly.

The best way to defeat this cheating via shuffling issue is to make it mandatory for BOTH players to cut the deck before drawing. So the opponent shuffles the deck and places it on the table and cuts it. Then the deck owner cuts it again and draws. This defeats all card shuffling tricks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I have Memory Lapse in place of Remand in all my casual decks. It's too powerful for Standard and probably even Modern, but man is that a great feeling casting that on a big card.

I have Memory Lapse in place of Remand in all my casual decks. It's too powerful for Standard and probably even Modern, but man is that a great feeling casting that on a big card.

I only play casual for constructed and I have a bunch of Memory Lapse cards sitting around, but I stick to Mana Leak and Negate for my counters, but maybe I should make the switch... The problem is I often play 3+ Player FFA games, so Mem Lapse seems like it just invites aggression without fully getting rid of the threat. Still, I keep looking at the card and want to run it.

I was listening to a Limited Resources podcast the other day (older one) where Brian Wong commented that booster packs (MTGO) often go down in price over their lifetime until they cycle out etc. I'm sure that's just a general rule and often quite correct (I`m very new to MODO), but I've been keeping an eye on KTK boosters and they have actually been going UP or holding very steady over the past few weeks (3 tix floor ~3 weeks ago). Kinda interesting. MTGGoldfish refutes my claim, but they only look at a few traders. Anyway, just was something curious that I noticed.

Firemind

It's still going to take a while before Dewey comes out and you need triple KtK packs to draft unlike the smaller second or third sets.

Even though I love Remand, my favourite 1U counterspell in casual formats is Arcane Denial. My opponent often ain't even mad I countered his/her big spell.

ElyrionX

Got my MTGO Teamgeist deck up at last and played a couple of games online. Still getting used to the interface but I can see where all the complaints are coming from. Client is unstable as fuck and crashes all the time. Interface is ugly and awkward. No tracking of in-game trades at all. Customer service is horrible. But goddamn, being free of having to travel to the LGS (and finding players with the right format deck) to play MTG is a great feeling.

koji

Some of the stuff spoiled seems pretty strong, I'm digging that green sweeper, Wave of Vitriol.

There's a lot of people playing artifact decks and gods in my meta...

Oh and that white "combat trick angel" looks nice as well, keeping open 7 mana is a PITA though, but still...

bigkrev

Like seriously, who thought "land sacrifice" would make a good set theme? even back then?

You haven't LIVED until you play against a Troubled Healer in a game of limited

While I agree Prophecy is probably the worst set ever, I kinda loved it for what it was when it came out. 3 monster cycles (Avatars, Winds, and Legendary Spellshapers), a couple of nice creatures (Chimeric Idol, Silt Crawler), and as someone who was obsessed with Land Destruction, I loved the Rystic spells and Veteran Brawlers became my win condition.

koji

Not too shabby.

That thing can whipe out 2 players in a EDH FFA after playing a soulblast. Heck, Hatred -> attack and kill one guy, soulblast the other dude and play that thing to kill the fourth player.

It all sounds great in my head but I'll never be able to actually play it :lol

dJcJiHz.jpg

An-Det

Some changes to the GP Pro Point distribution today.

• All players who finish with 39 or more match points at an individual Grand Prix will receive 4 Pro Points (previously 3)
  • All players who finish with 36–38 match points at an individual Grand Prix will receive 3 Pro Points (previously 2)
  • All team members who finish with 31–32 match points at a team Grand Prix will receive 2 Pro Points (previously 1)

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/grand-prix-professional-point-changes-2014-10-31

Suck it, Reanimator/Show & Tell/Sneak Attack.

bigkrev

I think the red deck is my favorite- it just looks like a blast to play, and best uses the abilities of it's Planeswalker.

Other new arts I noticed are Wellwisher, and the cube version of Skullclamp

red13th

I can't believe, finally new bordered Priest of Titania AND Sylvan Safekeeper (with new art)! I love you wotc gimme all decks

fake edit: also Medallions! JESUS

Arksy

Took a break this week, and regretting it already.

Tempted to maybe start thinking about a standard deck...Might wait for the next release.

koji

Word of seizing, reprint, nice! (seen a friend steal a planeswalker with it and use its ultimate, many lulz)

Going over this list feels a bit like checking an EDH all-stars list.

Maledict

Reprinting Oblation is amusing, given Mark Rosewater was complaining (rightfully) about this card on his podcast last week because it's so out of flavour for the colour pie stuff and what White is supposed to be able to do...

An-Det

Also, it's a replacement effect instead of a Comes Into Play trigger, so if something like Craterhoof Behemoth or Primeval Titan would come in, they never actually CIP so their CIP triggers dont happen. That's a nice touch.

Lucario

EDIT: Disregard this. Got too excited, thought welder was on the reserve list.

I keep trying to buy goblin welders on tcgplayer, only to get a bunch of internal service errors, and when I refresh the store I'm trying to buy from is suddenly out of stock.

Not sure if there's a buyout happening or if it's just hype, but now is probably the time to buy your playset. It's absurdly underpriced for its age and power level, and now that the red general is rekindling hype in welder decks, I could easily see a massive price spike happening overnight.

I keep trying to buy goblin welders on tcgplayer, only to get a bunch of internal service errors, and when I refresh the store I'm trying to buy from is suddenly out of stock.

Not sure if there's a buyout happening or if it's just hype, but now is probably the time to buy your playset. It's absurdly underpriced for its age and power level, and now that the red general is rekindling hype in welder decks, I could easily see a massive price spike happening overnight.

I'm skeptical of this. It's getting reprinted in a widely-released product and supply is going to shoot through the roof. There won't be enough generated demand for it to overcome that.

Lucario

I'm skeptical of this. It's getting reprinted in a widely-released product and supply is going to shoot through the roof. There won't be enough generated demand for it to overcome that.

Welder is reprinted in the red commander deck

disregard, I'm dumb, I thought it was on the reserve list.

I just got my ass saved by tcgplayer errors. All of the bought out welders are still visible on Chrome.

Containment Priest doesn't work on Bridge tokens.

Deals with Bloodghast, Ichorid, and Dread Return, which is generally all I'm worried about. Wasteland/Strip Mine keep Dredge off enough land to actually cast any creatures outside of the evoked Ingot Chewer. It's a great bear. You really can't have enough cage-like effects in your deck in Vintage if you are playing fair.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Deals with Bloodghast, Ichorid, and Dread Return, which is generally all I'm worried about. Wasteland/Strip Mine keep Dredge off enough land to actually cast any creatures outside of the evoked Ingot Chewer. It's a great bear. You really can't have enough cage-like effects in your deck in Vintage if you are playing fair.
The biggest reason this is bad against Dredge vs. other hosers is the same reason Cage isn't great - it doesn't stop the Dredging player from Dredging. Just play Rest in Peace with that mana. I don't even see anyone playing Wasteland in Vintage, either.

For stuff that people haven't already talked a fair bit about:
en_xna2ntodzj.png

Haha, oh wow @ how neither effect allows for your own stuff to be targeted. In a two player game, you could both target the same thing, so it's only "destroy target nonbasic land and deal 14 damage to target creature at instant speed"... which, you know, is still pretty damn good at five mana for an instant.

en_0lri2bnrkd.png

I like this hydra quite a bit.

en_ipr95gug8y.png

More powerful than the hexproof kraken from the blue deck?

en_5wqfs2avyb.png

This is a really neat effect in green, though I'm not sure if it fits in the color pie.

kirblar

Reprinting Oblation is amusing, given Mark Rosewater was complaining (rightfully) about this card on his podcast last week because it's so out of flavour for the colour pie stuff and what White is supposed to be able to do...
I disagree - on this one- it's an offering that doesn't permanently kill the creature. It's card disadvantage as removal.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I see them trying something to give green some kind of removal. I know why that's a weak spot for the color, but considering how much more powerful creatures have become, I think it's fair for them to explore the design space there.

They apparently hated Beast Within.

I've liked that card ever since I saw it on MTGS two years ago :p. It's a sweet design, and I actually think the card "feels" very green. It says that the earth dislikes this thing and is growing over it to get rid of it.

Should green get removal? Eh - it's a supplemental product. This is the right place to put it, and it's good to give colors access to effects they can't normally get for formats like Commander, but in a way that "feels" right for the color (see Chaos Warp).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom