• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

I kinda love that the format's so degenerate that the Ban Bomb is going to reset the format into an unknown state.

In what ways do you think it will be different to pre Khans?
Dig Through Time is a pretty great card for the slower blue decks if it survives.

Here's the deck I'm taking to Oakland tomorrow:

The Birds and the Bees
v6.0
aka God Save the Queen

Creatures(20):
  • 4x Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4x Hooting Mandrills
  • 3x Anafenza, the Foremost
  • 4x Siege Rhino
  • 2x Wingmate Roc
  • 3x Hornet Queen

Spells(11):
  • 4x Commune with the Gods
  • 4x Murderous Cut
  • 3x See The Unwritten

Enchantments(4):
  • 2x Banishing Light
  • 2x Whip of Erebos

Land(25):
  • 1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 1x Mana Confluence
  • 4x Sandsteppe Citadel
  • 4xWindswept Heath
  • 4x Llanowar Wastes
  • 1x Caves of Koilos
  • 3x Temple of Malady
  • 1x Temple of Silence
  • 4x Forest
  • 2x Plains

Sidebar(15):

• 2x Reclamation Sage
  • 4x Drown in Sorrow
  • 3x Doomwake Giant
  • 4x Thoughtseize
  • 2x Resolute Archangel

I was using Nissa to enable See the Unwritten, but I kept milling her away so I cut her for the Banishing Lights.

Grakl

3-1 tonight and 3rd place with Jeskai combo, losing only to my BF (Lucario) who split for first, hah. Deck is so fun.

Treasure Cruise be broken -- I wonder if it'll get banned along with Dig, or just by itself in modern and legacy.

Cruise isn't getting banned in Legacy straight away; it remains to be seen what its ultimate fate is, but it will be given a chance. They'll get restricted in Vintage at the same time.

Cruise, Dig, and Ascendancy are all getting banned before the PT in Modern though.

G.ZZZ

TC isn't getting banend in Legacy, not this soon anyway. The format will adapt into playing more unfair strategies and mass removal, plus chains. If anything they'll ban brainstorm. Also they really should unban survival, vise, bargain, Earthcraft, Twist, Dragon and Mind Desire. Maybe frantic search too. Those are all cards that would see fringe play (Mind desire as a B. Wish target, Bargain as an alternative to AdN) if none (in case of vise, craft, dragon and twist). Well, survival would probably make green-based toolbox creatures a top format deck again, which i'd welcome gladly.

Also that new Lignify suck dicks and won't be played in Legacy/Vintage. Beast within is usually better and is never played, and Oblivion ring is a single white to splash which is like the easiest thing in the world in Vintage/Legacy, and is rarely if ever played too.

Also, it's a replacement effect instead of a Comes Into Play trigger, so if something like Craterhoof Behemoth or Primeval Titan would come in, they never actually CIP so their CIP triggers dont happen. That's a nice touch.

I'm a huge Rosewater fan and all but his comments on C14 remind me why I'm glad he doesn't have muchto do with these supplemental products. I'm all on board with keeping the color pie pretty tight in Standard, but the cow's already out of the barn in these Eternal formats. Leaving Commander as a format where only blue is allowed to commit massive color pie violations is actually worse for the game than finding flavorful bleeds to balance things out in eternal-only sets.

...which just kind of demonstrates the problem

That it's a mistake to take things which are only acceptable in one context and do them again in a different, less appropriate context?

Regardless, we won't be getting stuff like a Standard-legal Hornet Queen reprint anymore now that the Core Set is going bye-bye.

Hey look, it's exactly how blue transformation should work

I think the single most annoying thing about the transformation thing is that Rosewater will admit that the cards they print aren't designed correctly but he doesn't consider that to be a problem like the other violations are. Saying it's okay to destroy creatures in blue because it's flavored as transformation is the exact type of justification he (rightfully) complains about on green and red cards.

G.ZZZ

Uh, Bargain is never ever ever getting unbanned. You cray.

I'm betting it's the next card to get unrestricted in Vintage too, alongside TfK. Grizzly much more easier to cast with reanimation/Oath, and being a creature is only a plus because removal don't matter when you draw 14 cards and counter everything or simply win on the spot, and even if you don't u can simply counter everything because a 7/7 flyer lifelink is already a wincon by itself.

f0rk

I'd be sad if Dig got banned straight away if the format stays as Treasure Cruise decks. It goes in different decks so it's completely possible the meta could adapt.
Being to quick to ban is bad, it really limits the growth of the format and what they can print. Why can't modern have a new pillar?

Firemind

You know what kills U/R Delver?

Night of Souls' Betrayal. Too bad Chrome Mox is banned.
M47OavD.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Are they seeing play in Vintage?

Yes. Our knowledge of Vintage is basically just LSV streams, though.

There is a Vintage Daily; it just never fires because the reward is Khans packs. And perhaps because the players are basically LSV and his friends so you'd get crushed.

Is Anafenza really that good when your only 2 drop is Wayfinder?
I need early creatures, Anafenza buffs my 8 tramplers and enables See the Unwritten. More importantly, one of my stronger plays is Anafenza plus Hooting Mandrills on turn 4. Most removal in the format is either slow or doesn't hit 4 toughness creatures so the chance I get to untap with power is pretty high if I can play two creatures in one turn early on. It's also one of my main ways to enable See the Unwritten.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That it's a mistake to take things which are only acceptable in one context and do them again in a different, less appropriate context?

Regardless, we won't be getting stuff like a Standard-legal Hornet Queen reprint anymore now that the Core Set is going bye-bye.

Sort of? The problem is that if its created in one context its easy to forget that context two years later and view it instead as "precedent"

The Weekly Mulligan said:
Now, with the bannings going into effect immediately, Magic players everywhere are left to pick up the pieces. Twin is going to have to draw its combo pieces naturally, Burn players are going to have to go back to folding at the sight of a Kitchen Finks, and Delver is going to have to go back to tier-two where it fucking belongs.

http://themeadery.org/articles/wiza...ops-banhammer-on-entire-khans-of-tarkir-block

These articles get better and better with each week. This might be my favorite yet.

f0rk

Big throws in the first GP feature match. Dude took some beats early but had loads of gas and stabilized then didn't block a random 2/2 and got arrow stormed for lethal

MjFrancis

http://themeadery.org/articles/wiza...ops-banhammer-on-entire-khans-of-tarkir-block

These articles get better and better with each week. This might be my favorite yet.
I have been getting a kick out of these. I about lost it at this part of last week's article:

“I wasn’t really buying into any of this shit,” said third-round opponent Kyle Oakland. “So, I decided to Thoughtseize him, you know, just to see what this goofer had under the hood – he said ‘good luck finding any valid targets’ and winked at me. He then set his hand on the table only to reveal five playing cards and two lands. I shit you not. So, obviously, I took the queen to keep him off the flush.”

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Oh shit I thought that logo looked familiar. I'm pretty sure its run or founded by the same guys or something (the articles I found aren't quite clear) by the same guy who runs The Mead Hall, an absolutely awesome local game store.

“You guys haven’t even found the Meandering Towershell combo yet,” said an anonymous Wizards QA tester. “You gotta realize that Cavern of Souls can also name ‘Turtle.’ That’s all I’m gonna say, in fact, I’ve already said too much.”
Awesome

Cidfox

Neo Member
Hi Everyone,

I just recently moved and found my old stash of magic cards and wanted to see if I have anything some of you would be interested in buying. Negator is my best friend and will vouch for my credibility if need be. I don't have a lot of cool stuff, but I have a few fetch lands and random sought after cards that people may want. Keep in mind that these are from shards of alara - rise of eldrazi. I have urza's stuff, but I think I left it back home on accident :(. Either way. Let me know and I can post a list of what I have, or let me know if there's anything you need from those sets and I'll see if I have it. I'm going to post here before I go to ebay.

thanks

Crocodile

End Hostilities, Fleecmane Lion, All is Dust, Vampiric Tutor, 2x Glen Elendra Archmage, Student of Warfare, Thalia - Guardian of Thraben, Stormbreath Dragon, Lightning Bolt (MPR) and Cryptic Command (Modern Masters)

for

Near Mint Tropical Island

Yeah?

Lucario

End Hostilities, Fleecmane Lion, All is Dust, Vampiric Tutor, 2x Glen Elendra Archmage, Student of Warfare, Thalia - Guardian of Thraben, Stormbreath Dragon, Lightning Bolt (MPR) and Cryptic Command (Modern Masters)

for

Near Mint Tropical Island

Yeah?

Absolutely do it.

Crocodile

I already did the trade (I got the land), I was just asking for opinions :p It looked good to me but I just wanted a few more opinions. I had $20 store credit to cash in but I got that credit from winning a draft in which we did rare redraft and I got some swag so I consider all that a wash :p

3 down, 7 to go :p

Sort of? The problem is that if its created in one context its easy to forget that context two years later and view it instead as "precedent"

I just don't have a lot of sympathy for "we can't do this thing that's contextually appropriate because we're not good enough at our jobs to avoid doing it again later when it's a bad idea!" Get good, dude. Time Spiral and Planar Chaos created way more confusion about what each color can do than a hundred Commander deck wacky cards will ever do.

I'm betting it's the next card to get unrestricted in Vintage too, alongside TfK.

I don't think there's any way this is the next card. It's possible that an unrestricted Bargain wouldn't push Show and Tell decks over into just being completely, ludicrously obnoxious, but I don't see why they would take the risk. If they want to prune the list, unrestrict Gifts Ungiven or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Commander deck with Goblin Welder is the same one with Wurmcoil Engine? I guess I'll get one this year.

Also, fuck Griselbrand being 50 tickets on MTGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom