• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
75.jpg

Don't ever trust this fucken guy; trust me you don't want his "blessing"

kDRGkV7.jpg

Art-wise, I'm a big fan of Wall of Heat and Alabaster Wall:

95.jpg
2.jpg

This Orcish Spy also cracks me up:

126.jpg

I play with that card, too, lol.

Fave Plains is, unfortunately, not an "oldy" :(

233.jpg

Matriox

I wish there were more full art land options. These all look nice, but I can't go back to non full arts.

I would also appreciate more full art lands, but I can't help but think it would depreciate the awesomeness that is full art lands that we already have. We are about due for more though IMO.

My Favorite Lands
Images

Man, there's an LGS near me that has a ton of those in their draft land box - every time I go there, I grab 20+ lands from Mirage, Odyssey, etc. (they are free with purchase). I'd offer to buy their whole box and just sort it, but I think they'd turn that down, lol.

They're a "we don't trust this theme enough to sell the set" thing. Also Zendikar II is coming up anyway.

That's what makes it so dumb though! Zendikar was apparently such a risky concept that they needed three whole gimmicks to sell it (full-art lands, fetchlands, and "Hidden Treasures") the first time around. But when we return, it's a safe, sure-thing choice. If you bring back full-art lands, they're not going to help the set when it doesn't need it. (Plus doing another set showing the same plane is kind of a huge waste.)

There's other stuff they could do to sell risky sets that isn't just so blatantly holding stuff back for purely mercenary reasons, I guess. And if they did full-arts more often but made them somewhat hard to get (rare chance per pack, or promos or something) they could make people happy without making them so common no one ever cares again.

Matriox

That's what makes it so dumb though! Zendikar was apparently such a risky concept that they needed three whole gimmicks to sell it (full-art lands, fetchlands, and "Hidden Treasures") the first time around. But when we return, it's a safe, sure-thing choice. If you bring back full-art lands, they're not going to help the set when it doesn't need it. (Plus doing another set showing the same plane is kind of a huge waste.)

There's other stuff they could do to sell risky sets that isn't just so blatantly holding stuff back for purely mercenary reasons, I guess. And if they did full-arts more often but made them somewhat hard to get (rare chance per pack, or promos or something) they could make people happy without making them so common no one ever cares again.

Gimme full art land fnm promos.

red13th

I hate foils, they bend. Only foil I used in a deck was FNM Pendelhaven back in RAV-TSP because it was (and apparently still is) the only modern framed Pendelhaven.

A return to Zendikar will either be in name only with none of the previous themes and world building intact, or it's going to be an alternate-universe Zendikar due to events in Khans block. The last time we saw Zendikar it was getting wrecked by Eldrazis, so I can't imagine there's much of it left.

A return to Zendikar will either be in name only with none of the previous themes and world building intact, or it's going to be an alternate-universe Zendikar due to events in Khans block. The last time we saw Zendikar it was getting wrecked by Eldrazis, so I can't imagine there's much of it left.

Well, we're probably still going to have landfall, allies, the same tribes, and guys going around exploring. There will just be giant abominations going around too.

EDIT: This story with Nissa shows what Zendikar is like now.

Do you guys have a favorite archetype you stick to when it comes to your personal deck choices?

People in my area think of me as a control player because of Esper last season and Miracles in Legacy, but I feel like I'm kind of all over the place:

Standard: Abzan Reanimator(Midrange)
Modern: Rainbow Bogles(Aggro)
Legacy: Miracles(Control)
EDH: Erebos(Combo)

I hate foils, they bend. Only foil I used in a deck was FNM Pendelhaven back in RAV-TSP because it was (and apparently still is) the only modern framed Pendelhaven.

Not if you double sleeve them. My understanding is that the bending is a reaction to the moisture in the air, so keeping them sealed in the perfect fits or whatever keeps them from bending.

I prefer proactive control decks that do cool things. I LOVE cards that can pull double duty and be good in different game states - Baleful Strix, Staff of Domination, Creeping Tarpit, Solemn Simulacrum, any reasonably costed cantrip, Planeswalkers, etc. I also like absurd haymaker plays like Yawgmoth's Will, or Upheaval/Psychatog, or activating Nicol Bolas's ultimate.

bigkrev

My favorite decks are super janky, non infinate combo decks. Pyromancer Ascension, Storm, ProsBloom, Heartbeat of Spring decks, ect.

Oh yeah, GB, your mention of bogles reminds me of a super great board state from the Modern IQ this past weekend. One of the guys I went to the event with has the BEST last game of last round. He sideboards in 3 copies of Chalice of the Void. We hear him shout from 2 tables over to come see his board. He has 1 creature, some land and a mutavault, and Chalice for 1, 2, and 3 on board against a bogles deck. We laughed ourselves silly over it.

As for deck choices, I've been playing at least long enough where I'm getting to understand the kind of player I'm NOT. I'm not an aggro player and I'm not a tempo player. I can run those types of decks, but I'm not actively enjoying myself while doing so. I more or less like to run midrange and control decks. I prefer games that start getting interesting around turn 4 and where the gambits for each deck show up around then. In standard, I am really coming to like Abzan, but I think Jund is where my primary interests in cards lie. But Jund, almost as a rule, is not powerful until there is a maximum amount of cards in the format. I wonder how that'll work in the new standard rotation regime.

y2dvd

Any of yall used these sleeves before?

Side shuffling is so easy. It just falls in between each other as you fan them out. The top coating is thick and it has just the right amount of friction to prevent it from sliding around. Huge fan!

kirblar

My GP deck - lemme know if you have any thoughts.

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Stoneforge Mystic
2 True-Name Nemesis

1 Batterskull
1 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Brainstorm
3 Ponder
2 Gitaxian Probe
3 Treasure Cruise

4 Daze
4 Force of Will
2 Spell Pierce

4 Lighting Bolt
3 Swords to Plowshares

8 Blue Fetches
4 Tundra
3 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland

SB: 4 Meddling Mage
2 Flusterstorm
2 Rest In Peace
2 Red Elemental Blast
2 Grim Lavamancer
1 Sword of Feast & Famine
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Wear/Tear

RIP is basically there for Dredge- should I be running 1 Cage/1RIP (or possible 1 cage, 1 Containment Priest?)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I see no holes at all. Maybe, MAYBE swapping out the Grim Lavamancers for 2 Remands for Dig/Cruise mirrors. But I've never believed in Lavamancer much.

kirblar

I see no holes at all. Maybe, MAYBE swapping out the Grim Lavamancers for 2 Remands for Dig/Cruise mirrors. But I've never believed in Lavamancer much.
Lavamancer's been very good for me in Delver mirrors - you save him for after the Delver baits out removal.

I suspect the Jeskai Stoneblade deck that won Columbus is actually better (cause it cut the Delvers and went straight midrange) but I don't have time to learn it or the SB.

run both rest in pepperonis . It's really good vs. Deathrite/Tarmogoyf decks and if that one guy still running Jund.

My only take from your deck is that it wants one more pyroblast, and with Treasure Cruise you more or less always want to be running Pyroblast over REB. You never know when the mana situation for back to back cruise is going to cause you to want to make weird plays, and Misdirection (the card where Pyroblast vs. REB matters) is on a downswing since Abrupt Decay is a bit less prevalent these days.

WanderingWind

Lavamancer's been very good for me in Delver mirrors - you save him for after the Delver baits out removal.

I suspect the Jeskai Stoneblade deck that won Columbus is actually better (cause it cut the Delvers and went straight midrange) but I don't have time to learn it or the SB.

I get his role, but I always find it too narrow. I will say that Boggles is the deck that seems like it's going to make a pretty big apparence. Your main board is perfect, but personally, I'd do Wear/Tear or Remands instead of GL. Boggles and TC/DtT are going to big for a while.

kirblar

run both rest in pepperonis . It's really good vs. Deathrite/Tarmogoyf decks and if that one guy still running Jund.

My only take from your deck is that it wants one more pyroblast, and with Treasure Cruise you more or less always want to be running Pyroblast over REB. You never know when the mana situation for back to back cruise is going to cause you to want to make weird plays, and Misdirection (the card where Pyroblast vs. REB matters) is on a downswing since Abrupt Decay is a bit less prevalent these days.
Only case where this matters would be upping Flusterstorm's storm count right? Feel like it's such a corner case as to not matter.

.....why would Boggles see play in Legacy?

Firemind

Lavamancer is a bit suspect as a sideboard card. It's good against elves, but I dunno what other matchups it's good against. You don't want to eat through your yard in the treasure cruise mirrors.

Gitaxian Probe is also questionable if you're not playing Young Pyromancer. Would rather have a fourth Ponder and a third or fourth Spell Pierce/Treasure Cruise.

Also, RIP is much better against dredge than cage. Cage is for non-white decks.

Any of yall used these sleeves before?

Side shuffling is so easy. It just falls in between each other as you fan them out. The top coating is thick and it has just the right amount of friction to prevent it from sliding around. Huge fan!
They get worn out quickly, but otherwise they're great tournament sleeves.

kirblar

Probe is insane and non-negotiable. I'd almost play 61 just to play a 3rd. The information advantage breaks open games. Lavamancer eating the yard isn't really a big deal- in the grindy matchups you're constantly filling the GY up anyway.

Firemind

Probe is insane and non-negotiable. I'd almost play 61 just to play a 3rd. The information advantage breaks open games.
If you can pressure them, yes. As it is, without Young Pyromancer to break symmetry, you'll have a hard time when Delver dies unless you can resolve TNN or Batterskull on t3.

Lavamancer eating the yard isn't really a big deal- in the grindy matchups you're constantly filling the GY up anyway.
BUG Delver runs Deathrites which will eat through your yard and sometimes use Leyline to win the cruise war.

kirblar

If you can pressure them, yes. As it is, without Young Pyromancer to break symmetry, you'll have a hard time when Delver dies unless you can resolve TNN or Batterskull on t3.
A lot of games are actually coming down to resolving either TNN or a hard cast skull. UWR's the control deck in most delver mirrors. It's why I like the stoneblade list so much.

WanderingWind

Watch and see. Watch and see.

(Ok, so I somehow switched between Legacy and Modern halfway through that paragraph, but when a rogue Bogles deck top 4's I'm going to look like a genius.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom