• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I play the Rest in Peace/Helm combo in Miracles and I've been thinking about putting a Stoneblade package in my sideboard so I can side out the combo vs Abrupt Decay decks. Seem plausible?

Watch and see. Watch and see.

(Ok, so I somehow switched between Legacy and Modern halfway through that paragraph, but when a rogue Bogles deck top 4's I'm going to look like a genius.)

I'm gonna win PT Fate Reforged with Rainbow Bogles so you're definitely on the right track. The only question is whether I want Duress or Inquisition in my sideboard.

Seems really bad- miracles has a lot of mana intensive setup. If you want to go that direction just play a dedicated deck.

But Miracles and UW Stoneblade are like 50 of the same cards. And I used to see miracles lists running Batterskulls in the board all the time. As a concession to the clock, but still.

Firemind

A lot of games are actually coming down to resolving either TNN or a hard cast skull. UWR's the control deck in most delver mirrors. It's why I like the stoneblade list so much.
UWR midrange perhaps, but like you said, you're not going to play such a deck.

Some BUG decks run JTMS, U/R runs Young Pyromancer, Esper runs Lingering Souls. Gitaxian Probe does not break open the game. It gives you information, but when you're playing the long game, the information is not as relevant at that point.

kirblar

UWR midrange perhaps, but like you said, you're not going to play such a deck.

Some BUG decks run JTMS, U/R runs Young Pyromancer, Esper runs Lingering Souls. Gitaxian Probe does not break open the game. It gives you information, but when you're playing the long game, the information is not as relevant at that point.
I've won a good number of games/matches due to being able to plan out my turns due to knowing my opponent's hand. The information assymmetry is huge, when its something like "Can I resolve a TNN?" or "Can I tap out for a Mystic into his hand?"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The top three finishers in the Vintage Championship on MTGO that don't run a set of Power Nine get a free set of the Power Nine.

That's great and all except that a set of the Power Nine is ~$425 and a set of Wasteland to run a Legacy deck is like $300 something (and we don't use Wasteland much in Vintage). So basically just being the top three Dredge finishers means you get $400 in cards.

Edit: They just now changed it so you can't play either the Power Nine OR Bazaar of Baghdad. :negative: So instead, you just run a regular Vintage deck with Mox Opal instead (hint: Mox Opal costs more on MTGO than all of the Moxen other than Sapphire).

Lucario

Just finished up my GP deck. Relatively new to legacy (and very new to elves), so tell me if there's any obvious fuckups --

19 lands:

4 Gaea's Cradle
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Windswept Heath
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Bayou
2 Dryad Arbor
3 Forest

30 creatures:

4 Nettle Sentinel
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Quirion Ranger
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Wirewood Symbiote
3 Heritage Druid
3 Birchlore Rangers
2 Craterhoof Behemoth
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Llanowar Elves

11 spells:

4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Glimpse of Nature
3 Natural Order

Sideboard:

4 Thoughtseize
3 Cabal Therapy
3 Abrupt Decay
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Progenitus
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Melira, Sylvok Outcast

An-Det

Maindeck Pyro decks just feel super loose in a meta (full of bad creature decks) as Day 1 is likely to be.

Yeah, I'm torn on it. The format is basically 2/3 blue, but it's straight up dead in many match-ups that you'd see day one. BS/Ponder help mitigate that, but it's not like cheater Miracles where you have Top to basically never draw it.

Lucario

I was going to ask if you don't enjoy free wins, but Proggy is in the sb. Not familiar with elves, but good luck!

Thanks! I'm excited as fuck for this tournament, first huge event I've decided to travel to in a while.

If I scrub out early I'm going to enter draft after draft to try to win more of those brainstorm sleeves.

Lucario

Who else is going to be there? I like that the SSS is legacy with NO SEALED ALLOWED.

Grakl's coming just to grind out side events, he doesn't like legacy :(

And yeah, the Super Sealed Spectacular is just phenomenal value. Both Grakl and I are going to enter in all three just to get the packs, sleeves, and standstill, and don't intend to actually play in any of them. The sleeves alone are preordering on ebay for $25+, so it's a no-brainer. I imagine a lot of other people will be doing the same.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Some dude at my LGS tried to convince me that Goblin Piledriver is worse than Goblin Rabblemaster. =/

kirblar

Grakl's coming just to grind out side events, he doesn't like legacy :(

And yeah, the Super Sealed Spectacular is just phenomenal value. Both Grakl and I are going to enter in all three just to get the packs, sleeves, and standstill, and don't intend to actually play in any of them. The sleeves alone are preordering on ebay for $25+, so it's a no-brainer. I imagine a lot of other people will be doing the same.
Yeah, I have to miss the sealed unfortunately. I meant the Sunday Super Series, which is usually this bizarre split event.
Some dude at my LGS tried to convince me that Goblin Piledriver is worse than Goblin Rabblemaster. =/
That's because it is.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, I have to miss the sealed unfortunately. I meant the Sunday Super Series, which is usually this bizarre split event.

That's because it is.

Sure, in a Mardu Midrange standard deck, I guess I'd rather have Rabblemaster.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";138695794]Do you guys have a favorite archetype you stick to when it comes to your personal deck choices?

People in my area think of me as a control player because of Esper last season and Miracles in Legacy, but I feel like I'm kind of all over the place:

Standard: Abzan Reanimator(Midrange)
Modern: Rainbow Bogles(Aggro)
Legacy: Miracles(Control)
EDH: Erebos(Combo)

Not if you double sleeve them. My understanding is that the bending is a reaction to the moisture in the air, so keeping them sealed in the perfect fits or whatever keeps them from bending.[/QUOTE]

I definitely lean towards control but I am playing more midrange now in Modern due to my limited experience in the format.

I also definitely favour the Jeskai wedge colours more than others and I plan to stick with any combination of those colours across formats. This makes it easier to build up my collection of playable cards too.

Standard: Jeskai Tempo
Modern: Jeskai Geist Midrange
EDH: Azorius Good Stuff (Gods, Angels and Wizards theme)

Matriox

Agro in standard always feels better to me than in Modern or otherwise (agro in multiplayer edh blech...) but:

Standard: Naya Agro usually
Modern: Jeskai Control
EDH: Mono Blue Combo

Anecdotal, but interesting: turn 3 Stone Rain = Concede. Again :(

First play of the game, somehow they just don't think they can recover. Even though casting Stone Rain is a strong signal that I also don't have a meaningful play apart from a tempo move. Ugh. I'm gonna power through, fuck this, lol.

Firemind

Did actually no one open Conspiracy packs?

Foil mythics are going for hundreds of dollars I shit you not.

I don't even want Dack Fayden, I just want a shiny Scourge of the Throne. :(

Matriox

Conspiracy did alright AFAIK, but not great. Theres a foil scourge on ebay for $41 if youre from US, but that is still really high :S

I'm not sure they sold Conspiracy at anything other than a game store. I've seen Commander and Planechase stuff at your Walmart, for example, but I never saw Conspiracy in the wild.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Conspiracy did alright AFAIK, but not great. Theres a foil scourge on ebay for $41 if youre from US, but that is still really high :S

Which I'm sure they expected given the investment involved. My friends and I grabbed a box for a birthday party and it was awesome but you can only do that so often ya know?

Anecdotal, but interesting: turn 3 Stone Rain = Concede. Again :(

First play of the game, somehow they just don't think they can recover. Even though casting Stone Rain is a strong signal that I also don't have a meaningful play apart from a tempo move. Ugh. I'm gonna power through, fuck this, lol.

And now you know why they don't print 3 mana land destruction anymore.

As for Conspiracy, Maro at least considers it a huge success, such that they intend to do more things like it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
To be honest, I think their nerfing of LD was a good move. All things aside, MtG is still a game and cheap LD is making it so that one player will not get to play. Counters are different, as you're still trying to cast spells - and could if you wait for your time. Cheap LD is basically giving one player the chance to goldfish.

An-Det

Over 3400 people have already preregistered for GP NJ and they haven't even opened on-site admissions yet. That's insane, it's already the 3rd biggest GP ever behind Vegas at 4492 and Richmond at 4303 and very well may beat them both.

Dude probably conceded because he figured he wouldn't have any fun playing the game. It's demoralizing to get your lands blown up over and over, and if it's just a casual game, he has no reason to keep playing if he feels it won't be fun.

Re: Conspiracy, foil Brainstorm is going for $70. I traded for one recently. I'm not sure whether to hold it and hope it goes up (especially given the massive numbers that will be at this GP), or unload it before more foil versions of the card get printed.

To be honest, I think their nerfing of LD was a good move. All things aside, MtG is still a game and cheap LD is making it so that one player will not get to play. Counters are different, as you're still trying to cast spells - and could if you wait for your time. Cheap LD is basically giving one player the chance to goldfish.
All I'm asking for is just one LD card I can stick on Isochron Scepter. Please, Wizards :(

kirblar

Over 3400 people have already preregistered for GP NJ and they haven't even opened on-site admissions yet. That's insane, it's already the 3rd biggest GP ever behind Vegas at 4492 and Richmond at 4303 and very well may beat them both.
PLAY A DECK THAT BEATS BAD DECKS.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";138847732]All I'm asking for is just one LD card I can stick on Isochron Scepter. Please, Wizards :([/QUOTE]
They're never making an instant 2cc LD spell.

red13th

Yey Legacy!

So I've been thinking about Khans of Tarkir draft a lot recently. This is a set that seems to be getting universally high praise - people love drafting this set. The videos seem to be popular, people enjoy posting screenshots of the sweet things they did, and it seems like it's just getting more and more popular. Heck, even I've gotten caught up in the hype at times with some of my five-color creations.

But the truth of the matter is that when I sit back and evaluate the draft format, I have to be honest with myself. While there have been some bright spots, and I've been fighting to try to get better at the format, I'm having to accept something that hasn't been true about a limited format since DGR:

I would rather play almost anything else on Steam than draft Triple Khans right now.

Yesterday, for example, I could have drafted. I didn't. I booted up SpaceChem, for crying out loud; an old puzzle game from years ago, instead of drafting Khans. I've spent more time test-drafting the upcoming Legacy Cube on CubeTutor than I have actually drafting Khans of Tarkir. Last week I even drafted JBT instead (which was actually a completely miserable experience, thanks to some shitty mulligans and having to face a couple of Ordeal decks that just always seemed to have it). I'm drafting KTK right now, and halfway through pack one I realized that I made a mistake - my heart actually wasn't in it (and my deck has suffered for it). My limited rating has tanked; partially from early struggles in the format, and partially because I just can't motivate myself to actually draft correctly.

My epiphany was when I started going over the Legacy Cube list that Randy posted and thinking "Damn, I can't wait to draft this!" It hit me - when I draft Khans of Tarkir, it opens up the part of my brain that loves to cube. And you hear this all the time from players - they like to say that it feels more cube-like than most draft formats. And it's true! Except that Khans of Tarkir draft feels like a lame cube that somebody threw together with their spare commons and rares.

I've tried coming up with an explanation for what, exactly, I think is wrong with the format, and I can't put my finger on it. In the end, I guess I don't think the format is "bad," per say - I just would rather draft something either a little less crazy (like most draft formats) or a little more crazy (like a real cube). This format is somewhere in the middle and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Angry Grimace

So I've been thinking about Khans of Tarkir draft a lot recently. This is a set that seems to be getting universally high praise - people love drafting this set. The videos seem to be popular, people enjoy posting screenshots of the sweet things they did, and it seems like it's just getting more and more popular. Heck, even I've gotten caught up in the hype at times with some of my five-color creations.

But the truth of the matter is that when I sit back and evaluate the draft format, I have to be honest with myself. While there have been some bright spots, and I've been fighting to try to get better at the format, I'm having to accept something that hasn't been true about a limited format since DGR:

I would rather play almost anything else on Steam than draft Triple Khans right now.

Yesterday, for example, I could have drafted. I didn't. I booted up SpaceChem, for crying out loud; an old puzzle game from years ago, instead of drafting Khans. I've spent more time test-drafting the upcoming Legacy Cube on CubeTutor than I have actually drafting Khans of Tarkir. Last week I even drafted JBT instead (which was actually a completely miserable experience, thanks to some shitty mulligans and having to face a couple of Ordeal decks that just always seemed to have it). I'm drafting KTK right now, and halfway through pack one I realized that I made a mistake - my heart actually wasn't in it (and my deck has suffered for it). My limited rating has tanked; partially from early struggles in the format, and partially because I just can't motivate myself to actually draft correctly.

My epiphany was when I started going over the Legacy Cube list that Randy posted and thinking "Damn, I can't wait to draft this!" It hit me - when I draft Khans of Tarkir, it opens up the part of my brain that loves to cube. And you hear this all the time from players - they like to say that it feels more cube-like than most draft formats. And it's true! Except that Khans of Tarkir draft feels like a lame cube that somebody threw together with their spare commons and rares.

I've tried coming up with an explanation for what, exactly, I think is wrong with the format, and I can't put my finger on it. In the end, I guess I don't think the format is "bad," per say - I just would rather draft something either a little less crazy (like most draft formats) or a little more crazy (like a real cube). This format is somewhere in the middle and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not very good at draft even though I enjoy it, so I tend to not like Khans as much as maybe I should. Its just too skill-intensive.

They're never making an instant 2cc LD spell.

While this probably wouldn't be an instant, I think this could work:

Land Renewal - 1R
Sorcery
Destroy target land. That land's controller searches his or her library for a basic land card and puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffles his or her library.

Or perhaps
Claimjump - R
Instant
Gain control of target land until end of turn. Untap that land.

On another note, I think this could be a neat card.
Nature-Bound Druid - 1G
Creature - Elf Druid
You may have Nature-Bound Druid enter the battlefield as a copy of any land on the battlefield. (It is no longer a creature.)
2/2

Land Renewal - 1R
Sorcery
Destroy target land. That land's controller searches his or her library for a basic land card and puts it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffles his or her library.
I'm a fan of land "reduction" and I'm sad they didn't do much with it beyond Convincing Mirage / Spreading Seas / Evil Presence / Contaminated Ground.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";138847732]All I'm asking for is just one LD card I can stick on Isochron Scepter. Please, Wizards :([/QUOTE]

Who/What/When/Where/Why from Unhinged. My friend with a powered cube had to take that spell out for exactly that reason - it is SICK on Isochron Scepter.

Angry Grimace

I'm a fan of land "reduction" and I'm sad they didn't do much with it beyond Convincing Mirage / Spreading Seas / Evil Presence / Contaminated Ground.

They've cut down a lot on unfun cards recently. There's a reason Force of Will doesn't get reprinted.

Firemind

turn one mountain, turn two flagstones, boom // bust was kind of insane.

also the classic flagstones, fetid heath/urborg, smallpox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom