• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
That specific wording that you suggested wouldn't work, BUT it's really strange that Maro posted that, considering Hooded Hydra already exists, and contains the exact templating that would be required to make a morphed Planeswalker work.

Textbox space could be an issue, sure, but the problem that Maro presented has already been solved by a card that just got printed.

MaRo tends to forget particular cards all the time, there's nothing odd about this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
MaRo tends to forget particular cards all the time, there's nothing odd about this.

I think its less that and more that Maro is of the belief that static text on a Planeswalker is not a thing. He's just justifying him saying "no" with extra reasons. The biggest reason its not happening is because Morph is a very limited mechanic, and by "limited' I mean it in both senses.

Firemind

That was almost too easy, Starscream... It was actually kind of boring to play the deck lol. No interesting decision-making at all.

At least Armageddon finally did something. Not as much as Tangle Wire though. I swear it's a free bye every time I resolve it. Plus dat jitte combo.

That was almost too easy, Starscream... It was actually kind of boring to play the deck lol. No interesting decision-making at all.

At least Armageddon finally did something. Not as much as Tangle Wire though. I swear it's a free bye every time I resolve it. Plus dat jitte combo.

That's why I rarely draft aggro in cube. Being fun police isn't fun to me. Well, not that style anyway; give me Strip Mine/Crucible/Braids all day.

I used to have this policy in the old cube that I would only draft red if I saw a Vortex in the first three picks. If that happened, I would take it as a sign that I should do it. Otherwise, I would refuse.

lolololol no.

It's not like Autochthon Wurm is lighting it up. Convoke doesn't have to make something broken.

ElyrionX

I'm getting that deck building urge again. I may finally break apart all my tribal EDH decks and make some new ones.

I thought I gave up on EDH but here I am building a mono U wizard tribal. Jammed it full of wizards, planeswalkers, swords and some other good stuff. I am not expecting it to be very good lol.

So are there any reputable online retailers preordering Duel Decks Anthologies? I've been checking SCG/Card Kingdom religiously for a while, and they don't seem to show it yet.

OnPoint

You can bet your bottom dollar that if they did one that cost UU it would be balls out awesome.

50-dollar Freddie UU

+1: Return target creature you control and target creature you don't to their owners hands
-2: Put a Denial Crest artifact token onto the battlefield
-6: Draw three cards. You may activate this ability as an instant.

2​

Oh but what does the Denial artifact token do?

Denial Crest
Artifact Token
Sacrifice Denial Crest: Counter target spell​

Blue Tibalt my ass.

sigmasonicx asked: Now with punisher effects, red is allowed some access to effects outside of its color pie, but can punisher allow red access to a permanent outside of its color pie? Like a creature with lifelink or something.

No.
A bit more terse than usual...
For those who don't know, punisher refers to cards like these:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

I brought this up, because the entire "artists and performers in red" thing led me to think of artist creatures that created paintings with special effects, like:

Serene Painter - 1R
=Art depicts an artist calmly admiring a landscape he drew of a meadow, with blood on his fist.=
Creature - Human Artist
1R, tap: Any opponent may have Serene Painter deal 5 damage to him or her. If no player does, put a colorless Painting artifact token named Meadow at Dawn onto the battlefield. It has "At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 2 life."
1/1

For less color pie breaking:

Battle Painter - 1R
=Art depicts a painting of a blood-covered warrior making a battle cry, as the artist calmly puts on finishing touches=
Creature - Human Artist
1R, tap: Target player puts a colorless Painting artifact token named Glory of War onto the battlefield. It has "At the beginning of your upkeep, deal 1 damage to target creature you control. That creature attacks this turn if able."

Disturbed Painter - 2R
=Art depicts an artist looking away in fear from his painting of a shadowy figure that seems to be reaching out of the painting=
Creature - Human Artist
2R, tap: Target player puts a colorless Painting artifact token named A Strange Figure onto the battlefield. It has "At the beginning of your upkeep, discard your hand and draw that many cards."

Inspiring Painter - 2R
=Art depicts an artist finishing up a portrait as the subject poses majestically in armor=
Creature - Human Artist
2R, tap: Put a colorless Painting artifact token named Portrait of Lord Throatcutter onto the battlefield. It has "Creatures you control get +1/+0."

And as an alternate win condition:
Unnatural Painter - 2R
=Art depicts an artist going mad in the corner, while the focus is on a painting with a black doorway that is slightly open, with unnatural light coming through the crack=
Creature - Human Artist
2R, tap: Target player puts a colorless Painting artifact token named Untitled onto the battlefield. It has "At the beginning of your upkeep, put an opening counter on this permanent unless you pay 5 life. Then, if there are five or more opening counters, you lose the game."

EDIT:
Portrait Artist - 3R
Creature - Human Artist
1R, tap: Search your library for a creature card, exile it, and then shuffle your library. If you do, put a colorless Painting artifact token named Portrait of X onto the battlefield, where X is the name of the exiled card. It has "When this permanent leaves the battlefield, put the exiled card into its owner's hand."

This is why I think the alleged rules issue is moot

It's not a rules issue in the sense that the rules can't possibly handle it, it's a quality-of-rules issue because the described interaction is awful. There's a reason that every planeswalker that can turn into a creature has an effect that neutralizes damage while it's in that form -- the interactions are inobvious and only work the way they do because the PW damage rules are an awkward patch in the ruleset.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I thought I gave up on EDH but here I am building a mono U wizard tribal. Jammed it full of wizards, planeswalkers, swords and some other good stuff. I am not expecting it to be very good lol.

Yeah, I don't really "get" EDH, but it's a format I can play at home with the wife and friends. So, I just made you know, an angel, vampire, zombie, goblin, knights and elves EDH deck and kept them on hand for those occasions. I doubt any of them are competitive or anything, but I don't get competitive singletons.

Hell, I hate running 1 offs in any deck normally. I like consistency. Only one of I think I ever run is a Keranos in a UWR delver (pre-DTT, TC) and the single Batterskull in SFM decks.

Variants of the same decks that have been around since week 2, e.g. the Pro Tour?

If you think your deck should be winning all these events, I mean, go do it instead of just saying why every good deck bricks super hard to your homebrew, which is what you are doing now and were doing before the pro tour and all of the subsequent events even happened. The biggest problem I'm having is that you just keep consistently taking the tack that some card or deck bricks to your deck when there's no real reason to believe that. Crackling Doom killing your Mandrills vs. Siege Rhino isn't even a good argument. Its actually massive resource disadvantage since you lose a 4/4 and all of the resources you had to delve to put Mandrills in play and having Siege Rhino and Mandrills up at the same time without being removed probably means you're already winning.

I see no reason why you would ever expect to beat Abzan Midrange, Mardu Control, Mardu Midrange or Jeskai on a consistent basis beyond variance.

I think you and I operate on different understandings of my hyperbole. When I say a card is bad against me, I don't mean side it out bad, I mean they aren't getting full value.

And you asked me to go do well at a tournament, I did pretty well at SCG Oakland getting top 32 by beating decks you mentioned(half of my matches were Abzan mirrors, dude) so I don't get what your deal is. I do really well on the local level as well, of course. I don't know what you want from me short of a pro tour win. I'm not gonna fly to the middle of nowhere and grind Opens to win an argument.

4-0 today in the grinder against the odd decks as well:

Mono-Red
UW Heroic
Sidisi Whip
Temur Control

Mardu midrange and its variants is literally the most popular deck in my area, and I have a winning ratio. I've tried to explain how my choices work and the plays I'm looking for, but if you won't believe me that's not my problem. I'm sitting here winning daily grinders and FNMs and making X-2-1 finishes at Opens in one of the densest areas for MTG in the US and you just randomly shit on my deck because... reasons, I guess.

If you can't understand why being able to play two significant creatures before your opponent can play two significant removal spells is good then I can't explain Hooting Mandrills to you.

I am literally building my modern deck by winning standard events. I don't know what else to tell you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not a rules issue in the sense that the rules can't possibly handle it, it's a quality-of-rules issue because the described interaction is awful. There's a reason that every planeswalker that can turn into a creature has an effect that neutralizes damage while it's in that form -- the interactions are inobvious and only work the way they do because the PW damage rules are an awkward patch in the ruleset.

I simply don't agree there's a "rules problem" in making a specific card where the underlying issue is players not knowing the rules in the first place. The real reason they aren't going to make a morph PW because they don't make Planeswalkers with abilities that aren't loyalty abilities. It has nothing to do with Shock not hitting morphed walker.

So, show up. Stream the Mandrill beats. Convert me to the Hooting Ecclesiastes

Man, streaming drafts would just be the most fun thing ever. Unfortunately my internet connection is so ass that half my posts in here are from my phone lol.

The running joke at my LGS is that Hooting Mandrills is Tarmogoyf.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";140315860]Man, streaming drafts would just be the most fun thing ever. Unfortunately my internet connection is so ass that half my posts in here are from my phone lol.

The running joke at my LGS is that Hooting Mandrills is Tarmogoyf.[/QUOTE]

As far as I can tell, you 4-0 every draft and Standard you enter. I'm sure you can work something out.

WanderingWind

Oh shit. Angry Grimace just said your moms ain't shit. You gonna stand there and take that? Plus, he said if you don't record a draft this week then Hooting Madrills can eat a dick.

I got your back, homie.

Angry Grimace

Oh shit. Angry Grimace just said your moms ain't shit. You gonna stand there and take that? Plus, he said if you don't record a draft this week then Hooting Madrills can eat a dick.

I got your back, homie.

I'm just sayin' dude claims to win like 80% of his games. I wanna see the receipts.

WanderingWind

I'm just said dude claims to win like 85% of his games. I wanna see the receipts.

Agreed. But in a move jovial way. :)

That is a common thing among Magic players, I've seen. We all like to brag about our wins and rarely mention the losses. I find it hilarious that in every discussion thread (Reddit, Salvation, etc) when an OP asks "Name a mistake you made" the thread is filled with "Oh, I accidentally did this stupid thing, but it's okay because I am superior and managed to still 4-0." If you hear the internet tell it, nobody ever loses at Magic, ever.

Speaking of my inadequacies, nothing makes me feel more like a child than playing Judge's Tower with the local judges. Holy shit is that the hardest magic I've played in a long time.

As far as I can tell, you 4-0 every draft and Standard you enter. I'm sure you can work something out.

I got your back, homie.

lol Grimace likes to pretend I never make posts about getting shat on in a grinder or a draft. I do pretty well and win more often than not, but I'm not some kind of wizard. Honestly, until the end of last standard season I wasn't even really that good of a Standard player, just Limited. But if you work from home and have time to show up to the LGS twice a week because you're a dirty cardboard addict you get better lol

And even up to SCG Oakland there are a lot of holes in my game. I didn't test sideboard strategies nearly enough and I wound up losing games to cards I thought I was ready for.

I'm just sayin' dude claims to win like 80% of his games. I wanna see the receipts.

You mean like, take pictures of people that I beat at the store? That's rude.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";140316547]Speaking of my inadequacies, nothing makes me feel more like a child than playing Judge's Tower with the local judges. Holy shit is that the hardest magic I've played in a long time.

lol Grimace likes to pretend I never make posts about getting shat on in a grinder or a draft. I do pretty well and win more often than not, but I'm not some kind of wizard. Honestly, until the end of last standard season I wasn't even really that good of a Standard player, just Limited. But if you work from home and have time to show up to the LGS twice a week because you're a dirty cardboard addict you get better lol

And even up to SCG Oakland there are a lot of holes in my game. I didn't test sideboard strategies nearly enough and I wound up losing games to cards I thought I was ready for.

You mean like, take pictures of people that I beat at the store? That's rude.[/QUOTE]

If you stream yourself winning an 8-4 on MTGO, I won't ever mention your stealth bragging again and as a throw in, I'll eat a Hooting Mandrills.

If you stream yourself winning an 8-4 on MTGO, I won't ever mention your stealth bragging again and as a throw in, I'll eat a Hooting Mandrills.

Draft? I'm not gonna buy fake cards for Standard and I don't have an MTGO account or streaming capability anyway.

Maybe after the holidays are over I can get some sort of capture device or something. I would like to draft on MTGO, but it just seems so... pointless.

Matriox

Related somewhat, maybe when (if) google glass and the like start becoming more mainstream we will start seeing tournaments or at the very least fnm's being streamed or recorded from that perspective. Could be pretty cool for seeing why certain people make certain plays or mistakes.

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";140319526]Google Glass is like asking to get the shit beaten out of you here in San Francisco.[/QUOTE]

I guess thats what I meant more or less if and when it becomes more mainstream. I'm just not sure it will take off because everyone is so sensitive to being recorded or whatever. Just an interesting thought in regards to magic was all.

EDIT: More and more LGS's are starting to twitch stream a top table at fnm which is pretty cool though, I like checking those out while I'm at work on fridays.

y2dvd

Agreed. But in a move jovial way. :)

That is a common thing among Magic players, I've seen. We all like to brag about our wins and rarely mention the losses. I find it hilarious that in every discussion thread (Reddit, Salvation, etc) when an OP asks "Name a mistake you made" the thread is filled with "Oh, I accidentally did this stupid thing, but it's okay because I am superior and managed to still 4-0." If you hear the internet tell it, nobody ever loses at Magic, ever.

It's true. To be fair, I think gaf have been good posting both winning and losing records. I remember seeing all sorts of results around prereleases. I know I've posted shitty records. I'm just running pretty good atm. =)

We ran EDH last night and I gotta say, I'm realizing I don't enjoy playing with my roommate. I've mentioned he plays Animar and he knows his deck inside out. He's also a judge with a great amount of knowledge of the game. I only really play standard and limited and even then I'd say I'm fairly casual about it.

So my roommate invites some of the local lgs players over to our place and a lot of players are still learning EDH themselves. He would get impatient whenever it's not his turn and just bitch and make snide comments the entire time, especially with me. I think he actually gives me too much credit because of my recent runs in the other formats. That, and I usually dominate him in standard play (at the recent FNM, I ran through him in our match and took the event to win some packs and a Funko pop). I'm gonna have a talk with him to chill the fuck out because we are still learning and his attitude is turning off me and probably the others from playing with him again.

At the same time, the competitive side of me makes me excited to receive the cards I ordered to come in so I can hopefully compete with his deck and beat his ass to shut him up or anger him more lol.

I played in a proxied Legacy thing last night. There were only 8 players but I got my three rounds in. I (mostly) copied this list from SCG:

2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Birds of Paradise
3 Deathrite Shaman
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Mother of Runes
1 Noble Hierarch
1 Qasali Pridemage
2 Scavenging Ooze
3 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Dryad Arbor

1 Forest
1 Bayou
3 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Plateau
2 Savannah
2 Taiga
1 Thespian's Stage
3 Wasteland
4 Windswept Heath
3 Wooded Foothills
1 Karakas
1 Dark Depths
Spells (13)

1 Batterskull
3 Punishing Fire
4 Swords to Plowshares
1 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Green Sun's Zenith
Sideboard

1 Null Rod
1 Pithing Needle
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Reclamation Sage
2 Choke
1 Oblivion Ring
2 Enlightened Tutor
1 Zealous Persecution
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Bojuka Bog

The only change I made was the lone Birds into a 4th Deathrite, and added 2 Containment Priest to the board. The deck is amazingly fun and versatile; it can win through straight beatdown, or it can use Knight of the Reliquary to assemble Dark Depths/Thespian's Stage, or it can go the Punishing Fire/Grove of the Burnwillows route. Then of course it has both Deathrites and Green Sun's Zenith, which are excellent dependable throughout the game.

Round one I faced down Charbelcher, who killed me turn 2 in the first game. In game 2 he had nothing. In game three my opening hand had Pithing Needle, Gaddock Teeg, and the lands to cast them. I went turn 1 Pithing Needle; he untapped, stormed for 6 and cast Empty the Warrens :(

The next two rounds I steamrolled a Jund deck and beat Turboland in two close games.

I think I might actually keep this list intact and slowly obtain the real cards over time. It was a ton of fun and exactly the style of deck I like to play.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";140317498]Draft? I'm not gonna buy fake cards for Standard and I don't have an MTGO account or streaming capability anyway.

Maybe after the holidays are over I can get some sort of capture device or something. I would like to draft on MTGO, but it just seems so... pointless.[/QUOTE]

I see how it is.

kirblar

Ari Lax trying to defend his rule lawyering as not scummy is crazy to me.
You have to reveal your morphs. It's a legit thing, the problem is that the penalty right now is ridiculous. That's not on Ari.

This is why you just unsleeve any morph you play.

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";140357530]It's not like its the first time I've mentioned my unwillingness to dive into MODO. It just so happens that I'm also unable to do any streaming with my setup.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I feel you. When I was beasting in my pod last week with Kibler, Duke and Nakamura, I was all like "Oh, man, I wish I had a stream of this because the fellas on NetJeff will never believe me." It was alright though, because I almost tapped the wrong mana, but I caught my error just in time and was able to counter that End Hostilities. I then ultimate'd Elspeth, swinging in for exactly lethal. It was pretty sweet. I pulled 4 foil mytics in my prize packs and Jenny gave me her number.

Yeah, I feel you. When I was beasting in my pod last week with Kibler, Duke and Nakamura, I was all like "Oh, man, I wish I had a stream of this because the fellas on NetJeff will never believe me." It was alright though, because I almost tapped the wrong mana, but I caught my error just in time and was able to counter that End Hostilities. I then ultimate'd Elspeth, swinging in for exactly lethal. It was pretty sweet. I pulled 4 foil mytics in my prize packs and Jenny gave me her number.

Sounds like a good afternoon.

By the way, anybody else play this Judge Tower game?

It's super fun. I keep getting wrecked by the guys at my shop that play it all the time.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";140357530]It's not like its the first time I've mentioned my unwillingness to dive into MODO. It just so happens that I'm also unable to do any streaming with my setup.[/QUOTE]

You can just record it, you don't have to live-stream it.

(Drafts on MODO are a lot harder than Standard. Standard is almost always cheap people jamming the same ultra cheap aggro decks over and over.)

Angry Grimace

A guy on MTGO just lost after accidentally targeting me with Ancestral Recall
KuGsj.gif

Angry Grimace

Current fetches I'm trying to make happen:

Dead Drop
Jace, the Living Guildpact
Empty the Pits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom