• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

3UDvLwQfJsbF2nW2.jpg

Awesome. White Pyromancer lol.
This was actually spoiled like a week ago as a text spoiler with no source. I thought it was too good to be true. The fact that it's actually a real card is insane.

Some of these spoilers in Jeskai seem to me that the community "discovered" Jeskai Tokens before R&D had anticipated us to, before we got all the pieces for it. That deck will be insane if the right balance is found here.

There's apparently more dragon stuff going on than we've seen. But they don't want to spoil set 3 early either.

Shu-Yun-the-Silent-Tempest.jpg

Thinking about this guy makes me finally realize what prowess is: as you fire the spell, the fighter jumps up while twirling and uses a bit of the spell as a weapon (or if it's an artifact, just uses the artifact). This guy uses mana to double that energy, forming it into swords, and proceeds to do a spin dash into the enemy.

Or something like that.

3 color generals.

Yeah, commander looks at the "color identity", which considers not just the creature's colors, but also every mana symbol in its text box. It is for this reason that Bosh, Iron Golem is considered a red commander.

Personally, I do think this rule shouldn't work the way it does. Color identity of the commander should determine what colors you have access to, but what you can include in your deck should only be determined by the card's colors. This way, Bosh can still be a red commander, but you could include Sorcerer of the Hunt in his deck. You just won't be able to activate its ability due to the rule that colored mana outside of your commander's identity becomes colorless instead. I can understand not allowing hybrid creatures if one color is outside of your commander's identity, due to effects that boost creatures of certain colors and such, but mana symbols in the text box shouldn't have such huge sway.

So does a card like Rhys the Exiled mean that I can have a G/B deck? I was under the impression that mana not in the CMC color of the general was colorless.

They fixed it like three years ago.

Personally, I do think this rule shouldn't work the way it does. Color identity of the commander should determine what colors you have access to, but what you can include in your deck should only be determined by the card's colors.

It took forever to get this fixed in the first place, I don't see them changing it to a version that's actually harder to explain.

Toxi

Banned
This set is nuts. There's just so much creative stuff, way more than I've seen in a small set in a long time.
Why does white get all the goodies?

Red mythic sucks. ;-;
Hardly. Giving the Slith effect to your creatures on a 4 power body with haste for 4 is already pretty sweet. Being able to churn out card advantage next turn makes it sweeter.

Firemind

seems like a win more ability; slith firewalker would come in on t2, sometimes t1 with the help of chrome mox, long before your opponent can stabilize. this dude can't even punch through siege rhino.

also dies to shock lol

Firemind

PV said:
Dromoka the Eternal

Dromoka doesn’t have nearly as good a name as Kolaghan, and that’s not even counting how deceiving his title of “The Eternal” really is. In fact, one wonders where The Eternal even comes from, considering he has zero abilities that are in any way related to survivability. Unlike, say, Eternal Dragon, which is actually eternal.

Haha, so true. #flavourfail

Wichu

I hope I'm not the only one that wants to do some kind of stupid five-colour Dragon Midrange deck in Standard. With Chromanticore just because.

Wichu

en_tewomwqgjt.png
en_uaeht1tvvh.png

Not a huge fan of Daghatar (worse Ghave that can steal opponents' +1/+1 counters?), but Monastery Siege looks solid.

Arksy

With the "Choose Khans or Dragons" does that choice apply solely to that card? Cause that's how I'm reading it. You could have two monastery sieges in your deck and have both effects in play if you draw both of them.

kirblar

With the "Choose Khans or Dragons" does that choice apply solely to that card? Cause that's how I'm reading it. You could have two monastery sieges in your deck and have both effects in play if you draw both of them.
Yes, it's card-specific.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";145593100]Kirblar, you were looking for a discard outlet for Hornet Queen? Well there it is.

Why does Sultai Ascendancy even exist with that in the same block?[/QUOTE]
Jeskai Ascendancy basically does the same thing but better :p

bigkrev

So, from a buying perspective, how am I supposed to approach this set? It's been years (New Phyrexia?) where there has been a small set that had as many powerful rare/mythics, and I can't even remember the last time it was a middle small set.

kirblar

So, from a buying perspective, how am I supposed to approach this set? It's been years (New Phyrexia?) where there has been a small set that had as many powerful rare/mythics, and I can't even remember the last time it was a middle small set.
That they're intentionally having drafted w/ the 3rd set to make sure you open more fetches. :p

Preordering this set right now is "lol" unless you find a cheap deal. SCG's back to their old pricing structure.

edit: Crux of Fate seems nutty to pick up at 6.75 via TCG right now. Card is real. Also grabbed Revelation at .75

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So basically, rip out seeker of the way and rabble master out of jeskai tokens and replace them with soulfire grandmaster and monastery mentor. Holy fucking cow. Holy cow! This is near broken.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm kinda surprised they're not using a counter to alleviate any memory issues with cards like this.

I figure official tournaments will use some kind of marker for khans/dragons.

There's no way they're going to expect players to remember whether this card is khan or that card is dragons.

Also that is one hell of a "no fun allowed" enchantment.

I figure official tournaments will use some kind of marker for khans/dragons.

There's no way they're going to expect players to remember whether this card is khan or that card is dragons.

Also that is one hell of a "no fun allowed" enchantment.

One of the rules cards should have perforated, coin sized punch-outs, with Dragons on one side and Khans on the other. If they were exploring the idea of scratch-off cards for Unglued 2, I'm sure they could manage a measly little die-cutting.

Haly

A small mat would work too, like, an oversized card with DRAGONS on the top where you stack your Dragon cards.

#teamdragons

It's annoying seeing the blue part of the siege cycle once again being both cheaper and more powerful for its cost than the other parts of the cycle. As for Daghatar, I guess him being the worst khan so far is to make up for the two white mystics.

torrentelemental.jpg

"Torrent Elemental"
4U
Creature - Elemental
Flying
Whenever Torrent Elemental attacks, tap all creatures defending player controls.
3[B/G][B/G]: Return Torrent Elemental from exile to the battlefield tapped. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
3/5

And MaRo already hated Misthollow Griffin. Also, why is returning from exile suddenly black/green (other than "because Sultai)?

kirblar

You can delve it then use it later. Is definitely better than Griffin.

It's a good thing MaRo doesn't have the final call on everything- his freak-outs over innocuous cards like Griffin/Repetition are bad. There are potentially problematic uses of Exile- those aren't them.

You can delve it then use it later. Is definitely better than Griffin.

It's a good thing MaRo doesn't have the final call on everything- his freak-outs over innocuous cards like Griffin/Repetition are bad. There are potentially problematic uses of Exile- those aren't them.

It's his uncontrollable 'Vorthos'. It's the same part of him that utterly despises the existence of green direct damage. I get it, but I still think double-faced cards are the biggest crossing-the-line thing they've ever done in that regard. A card returning from exile every so often isn't that big a deal.

You know, I realized that you could potentially put Torrent Elemental in a mono-green deck without any blue mana sources, and as long as you get it exiled, you can cast it. Thus, green gets another flyer, and it even makes your creatures effectively unblockable!

You know, I realized that you could potentially put Torrent Elemental in a mono-green deck without any blue mana sources, and as long as you get it exiled, you can cast it. Thus, green gets another flyer, and it even makes your creatures effectively unblockable!
Delving it away then activating it also gets around counter magic.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's his uncontrollable 'Vorthos'. It's the same part of him that utterly despises the existence of green direct damage. I get it, but I still think double-faced cards are the biggest crossing-the-line thing they've ever done in that regard. A card returning from exile every so often isn't that big a deal.

Nah its not a Vorthos thing, its an understandable concern about muddying the waters. Once something's printed its printed. I do think he overreacts about some stuff, but I also get the concerns about color diversity

This set is nuts. There's just so much creative stuff, way more than I've seen in a small set in a long time.

It's hilariously ironic that after eliminating three-set blocks because they never succeed in giving three sets each their own distinct identity, their swan-song third block seems like it's finally going to actually succeed at doing so.

I'm kinda surprised they're not using a counter to alleviate any memory issues with cards like this.

Once they fixed things up in the tournament guidelines to allow players to use game effect markers they stopped worrying nearly as much about memory issues. Their current thought process is that using a marker counter inaccurately implies to people that removing the counter removes the effect, so it's easier to just cause a permanent state change and let players figure out their own method of physically marking that.

It's annoying seeing the blue part of the siege cycle once again being both cheaper and more powerful for its cost than the other parts of the cycle. As for Daghatar, I guess him being the worst khan so far is to make up for the two white mystics.

There's a lot of Commander players who really enjoy playing white/green/black counter decks but who don't enjoy getting stomped out immediately by people who see an overpowered monster like Ghave, so I actually think having a weaker and more fair general that fills that niche is kind of nice.

And MaRo already hated Misthollow Griffin. Also, why is returning from exile suddenly black/green (other than "because Sultai)?

I (mostly) agree with Rosewater on removing arbitrary cards from exile but I think cards returning themselves is entirely reasonable. He hasn't really articulated a good reason these cards are bad on their own -- it's really because he's concerned they'll be a gateway drug to more extensive exile fuckery. I understand the concern but I just don't think it's what will really happen.

To me it's a white/green/black ability for basically the same reasons resurrection is in those colors.

FRF: "Can you tell we were playing a lot of Heathstone?"

At least somebody at WotC is paying attention to Hearthstone!

Haly

Delve is a graveyard mechanic. G/B is currently the colors of "do things with the graveyard" because Golgari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom