• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

Not sure losing fetches will make Brainstorm worse than Ponder especially since Ponder is sorcery speed but I agree that without shuffle effects, Brainstorm does lose a subtantial amount of power. Just like Top.

The only card on the list I see getting unbanned is Bloodbraid Elf; it could give some variety back to the GB shell and never should have been banned in the first place (it was a proxy ban for Deathrite Shaman).

EDIT: I haven't actually re-read Deathrite in a while. That card is absurd. I still can't believe it got printed.

What happened w/ Stark?

Brainstorm was good even before fetches, don't kid yourselves.

He went off on some sort of bizarre semi-racist rant about how the French and Portuguese are all cheaters, or something to that effect, while he thought his microphone was muted.

Saying Brainstorm was good before fetches is like saying Thought Scour was good before Treasure Cruise. ;) In all honestly, it's not that the card is "bad," but that it's not even close to format defining like it is now if fetches aren't around.

ultron87

Nope, without easy shuffle effects, Brainstorm isn't that great a card- it's too easy to lock yourself out with it.

I've never really understood the idea of the brainstorm lock. Brainstorm without a shuffle won't ever make your current situation worse (not considering some discard effects). It just lets you be totally aware of how screwed you are.

If you Brainstorm and draw C, D, and E and put back A and B you're still going to have A,B,C,D and E in your hand eventually. You'll just have C,D, and E sooner and will be onto new card F one turn earlier.

OnPoint

He went off on some sort of bizarre semi-racist rant about how the French and Portuguese are all cheaters, or something to that effect, while he thought his microphone was muted.

Saying Brainstorm was good before fetches is like saying Thought Scour was good before Treasure Cruise. ;) In all honestly, it's not that the card is "bad," but that it's not even close to format defining like it is now if fetches aren't around.

Jesus Stark...

I've never really understood the idea of the brainstorm lock. Brainstorm without a shuffle won't ever make your current situation worse (not considering some discard effects). It just lets you be totally aware of how screwed you are.

If you Brainstorm and draw C, D, and E and put back A and B you're still going to have A,B,C,D and E in your hand eventually. You'll just have C,D, and E sooner and will be onto new card F one turn earlier.

It locks you into not finding an escape. If you can shuffle you can potentially draw a totally new card. If you can't shuffle you're "locked" into those cards. You have the right idea. But there are certainly situations where that lock is a killer.

Firemind

I think what bigkrev is saying is that one time he kept a one-land hand with Brainstorm and much to his surprise it didn't find him a second land.

f0rk

Wizards really shouldn't have deleted the evidence as this sounds way worse than my understanding. Apparently they were talking about some dude and when it was mentioned he was Portuguese and Ben 'now I trust him even less'. Then there were comments about how there are more, or a lot of known, French and Portuguese cheaters.
The account I read didn't sound like a rant.

Reach Through Mists does the same thing ;)

Brainstorm is obviously better than that, but it's not insane. Getting to get rid of cards you don't want to draw is super powerful, which is why Ponder and Preordain are so good. Brainstorm with fetchlands is so absurd because it lets you ditch cards you've already drawn that you don't want. Without it, it's just...decent.

Wizards really shouldn't have deleted the evidence as this sounds way worse than my understanding. Apparently they were talking about some dude and when it was mentioned he was Portuguese and Ben 'now I trust him even less'. Then there were comments about how there are more, or a lot of known, French and Portuguese cheaters.
The account I read didn't sound like a rant.

I didn't hear it, to be fair. I'm just repeating what I heard. You're absolutely right - it's a game of telephone now, and it's not going to end up well for anybody.

ultron87

Reach Through Mists does the same thing ;)

Brainstorm is obviously better than that, but it's not insane. Getting to get rid of cards you don't want to draw is super powerful, which is why Ponder and Preordain are so good.

Right, I know that. It's just that the concept of "Brainstorm lock" suggests that Brainstorm is actively doing something bad to your deck when it isn't. Your deck was just in a bad situation already. The only thing Brainstorm did was letting you know about it and not be able to get you out of it like Ponder and Preordain could.

Right, I know that. It's just that the concept of "Brainstorm lock" suggests that Brainstorm is actively doing something bad to your deck when it isn't. Your deck was just in a bad situation already. The only thing Brainstorm did was letting you know about it and not be able to get you out of it like Ponder and Preordain could.

Ah, I see. Point taken, and I agree.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147046838]Shuffle effects, complete mastery of your mana base and the ability to fill your graveyard are all extremely relevant abilities that make fetches better than just getting two colors for no life loss.[/QUOTE]

IMO this argument is not black and white, and those calling him crazy aren't doing the issue justice.

The fact of the matter is -- Fetches and the original Dual Lands NEED each other. A fetch is great, but if it fetches a shock land, you're down 15% of your life total immediately. Against any deck that does damage fast and hard, that is a huge problem. Use a fetch to get an original dual and you're only down 5% of your life. That's a big difference.

His argument stands though -- some decks want fetches more than they want duals because that is how the deck functions. But ALL decks can use duals [except mono colored], whereas not all decks make good use of fetches. This, in addition to the life loss above, gives dual lands the slight nod of breadth. But fetches definitely get a nod of depth in that they are versatile in their multiple benefits.

OnPoint

It's only a "lock" if you expect to be able to get out of it. And because of fetches and other shuffle effects, decks that use Brainstorm expect to be able to shuffle more than Brainstorm by itself would be expected to.

bigkrev

I think that cards like Index and Sage Owl are the worst designed cards in Magic, because you can cast them, and depending on what you see, loose all hope as early as the first turn. Its just crushing in a way that makes you want to stop playing for the night.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
IMO this argument is not black and white, and those calling him crazy aren't doing the issue justice.

The fact of the matter is -- Fetches and the original Dual Lands NEED each other. A fetch is great, but if it fetches a shock land, you're down 15% of your life total immediately. Against any deck that does damage fast and hard, that is a huge problem. Use a fetch to get an original dual and you're only down 5% of your life. That's a big difference.

His argument stands though -- some decks want fetches more than they want duals because that is how the deck functions. But ALL decks can use duals [except mono colored], whereas not all decks make good use of fetches. This, in addition to the life loss above, gives dual lands the slight nod of breadth. But fetches definitely get a nod of depth in that they are versatile in their multiple benefits.

I think we all get this, to be honest. It's all very tongue in cheek.

ultron87

I think that cards like Index and Sage Owl are the worst designed cards in Magic, because you can cast them, and depending on what you see, loose all hope as early as the first turn. Its just crushing in a way that makes you want to stop playing for the night.

Standard right now even has a bit of that with Courser of Kruphix. It is a great card but it brings along that crushing realization that the next thing you're drawing isn't going to be helping you out either. I do really like that it has a nice interaction with fetches, since teaching players the value of the shuffle is a nice learning experience for bigger formats.

I'd actually really like it if they put a worse, but still playable, Brainstorm in standard to teach that interaction. But that probably won't happen.

kirblar

The French pro players have a long and unsavory history.

y2dvd

Whoa, I wouldn't have caught this at first about Daghatar the Adamant.
From LSV.

Not only does Daghatar make combat impossible for your opponent by himself, he also makes any +1/+1 counters on the opposing side into a huge liability. Nowhere does it say that the counters have to come from your creatures, and playing this against another Abzan deck is a beating.

Neat!

This is the hardest set to evaluate in terms of "What's Good?" that I've ever seen. This is a good thing.

Get your Renowned Weaponsmiths now, kids. That shit will go from 25 cents to a whole dollar once Dragons hits. Bet it.

Step 1: Buy 1000 RWSs @ 25 cents plus 3 dollars shipping for $253
Step 2: Resell through a middle man for 40 cents on the dollar for a total of 400 dollars.
Step 3: You just made $147 over three months, go buy a box of RTR and a sandwich
Step 4: Open nothing
Step 5: Welcome to mtgfinance!

So you're saying Ponder is better than Brainstorm if you don't have fetches. :3

Stand and be counted.

Is the unmorph cost of a non-morph manifested creature an ability?

I hit a Scuttling Doom Engine off a Cloudform in testing and wanted to know if I could use Renowned Weaponsmith's mana ability to unmorph it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147080069]Is the unmorph cost of a non-morph manifested creature an ability?

I hit a Scuttling Doom Engine off a Cloudform in testing and wanted to know if I could use Renowned Weaponsmith's mana ability to unmorph it.[/QUOTE]

Morph is a special action, not an activated ability, and this is presumably the same case with manifest, so no.
In any case, it's not an artifact while it's face-down.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147080069]Is the unmorph cost of a non-morph manifested creature an ability?

I hit a Scuttling Doom Engine off a Cloudform in testing and wanted to know if I could use Renowned Weaponsmith's mana ability to unmorph it.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter. The Manifest is not an artifact.

WanderingWind

Muahahaha Cheon is playing modern zoo right now. But with blue because of Geist. And Cruise in the SB. Because if you're not playing Cruise in Modern, you're just wrong.

WanderingWind

WanderingWind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147099782]How do you guys keep track of streams? I dont think Ive ever watched a non-PT mtg stream live.[/QUOTE]

Just go to Twitch and search for Magic. I follow streams because it's perfect background noise when I'm coding or designing something.

Or when it's nap time.

According to the chat in Cheon's stream (and I haven't heard this from anywhere else), every round on day 1 of GP Omaha went over time, and they were blaming Jeskai Ascendancy combo decks. If that's really the case, there's basically no hope left for that card to not get banned.

kirblar

According to the chat in Cheon's stream (and I haven't heard this from anywhere else), every round on day 1 of GP Omaha went over time, and they were blaming Jeskai Ascendancy combo decks. If that's really the case, there's basically no hope left for that card to not get banned.
There was never any hope for it to not get banned from day 1, lol.

Lots of stuff getting added on monday.

There was never any hope for it to not get banned from day 1, lol.

Lots of stuff getting added on monday.

Oh, I've been aware of it's impending doom. The GP was just one more piece of evidence against it.

Ascendency and Cruise are getting banned on Monday. I'm pretty sure that Dig gets to live at least one more round.

Firemind

Cruise seems fine in Modern. Probably getting the axe in Legacy doe.

I was browsing the spoiler and, wow, I noticed Veronique Meignaud is back to creating Magic art again. Return to Zendikar hype!

en_z9z7qqta47.png

Kev Walker too! I never realized he did art in the past couple of years. I've been a fan of his works since Tempest.

Though his most famous work is probably

I was going to say something snide about how derivative the Damnation artwork was, but then I double-checked and he did that particular Wrath of God as well. So...good job Kev!

Crocodile

7/8 decks were either Cruise decks or were running Chalices to combat Cruise decks

I wasn't able to watch the GP itself so perhaps I'm missing a good chunk of the picture but I see 7 different strategies in the Top 8, the winner was a deck that has been winning Modern tournaments since FOREVER, and "anti-Crusie tech" makes up only a small portion of sideboards. I'm REALLY having a hard time getting upset by what I'm seeing *shrug*

Muahahaha Cheon is playing modern zoo right now. But with blue because of Geist. And Cruise in the SB. Because if you're not playing Cruise in Modern, you're just wrong.

4-5 Color Zoo isn't a new thing in Modern (heck you often saw it back when Extended was a format). They just splashed Blue or Black for different cards back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom