• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Frf will have 6 possible timestamped rares this go around.
Well then, that makes it easier to figure out. Cut the ally-siege and the non-clan rare.

I'm still curious to find out if the seeded pack is all Fate or if it's a mix. 5 packs of Fate still seems weird to me.

Firemind

This is the opposite of right.

It's actually your responsibility to keep track of which facedown permanent is which and it's free information, so lying about it is considered cheating, which will get you DQ'd.
Who said anything about lying? Like I said I'll put them in the order they came into play, but if you ask me if the second face down creature is a morph or a manifest after half an hour on an advanced board state it is possible I honestly don't know 100%. Of course I can have a peek of what card it is, but a random manifest can also be a morph and I'm not going to tell you whether it is one obviously. My post had nothing to do about bending the rules. If I'm forced to write it down or use tokens, or otherwise I'll get DQ'd from a prerelease, I'm going to claim the ruling is bullshit.

Also there's a blue card that specifically asks you to shuffle two face down creatures and a black card that asks you to shuffle a bunch of manifests, so yeah.

Who said anything about lying? Like I said I'll put them in the order they came into play, but if you ask me if the second face down creature is a morph or a manifest after half an hour on an advanced board state it is possible I honestly don't know 100%.

The rules are ultra-clear about this; a player with face-down cards is responsible for maintaining and correctly representing every piece of available information about those face-down cards.

In this context, "not knowing" is gonna be a warning or game loss if they think you're honestly forgetful, but if a judge believes you're doing it on purpose to gain an advantage it might become Cheating which is a DQ without prize at every level of play. Once again, I don't recommend it.

Also there's a blue card that specifically asks you to shuffle two face down creatures and a black card that asks you to shuffle a bunch of manifests, so yeah.

In both cases the opponent can't tell which is which across the boundary of the shuffle, but they need to know which manifests were generated by that effect, as well as to track which is which once they enter play (for example, if you have two manifests and you attack every turn with the same one of them, you have to clearly represent that it's the same one each time.)

Firemind

LOL GG Ugin

I suppose I can desleeve morphs and keep manifests sleeved to differentiate them, so it's not that big of a deal, but I dislike this set already haha. Thankfully, online it will keep track of them for you. One of the few benefits of Magic Online.

Yeef

It looks like Narset's planeswalker card will probably be called "Narset, the Great Teacher."

8godeh6.jpg

It's a shame to see that Alternate Surrak is racist. Anyway, the Great Teacher could be Ugin, not Narset, but who knows.

It's interesting they changed a lot of the art, even with Dragonscale Boon, where the art is new but the only difference in the subject is the lack of a cape.

It's a shame to see that Alternate Surrak is racist. Anyway, the Great Teacher could be Ugin, not Narset, but who knows.

It's interesting they changed a lot of the art, even with Dragonscale Boon, where the art is new but the only difference in the subject is the lack of a cape.

I was going to make a joke about being colorblind, but that would in really poor taste if you're actually colorblind.

...are you actually colorblind? :/

I was going to make a joke about being colorblind, but that would in really poor taste if you're actually colorblind.

...are you actually colorblind? :/
No, I'm not. Green->yellow isn't exactly a notable difference in the subject. The background is also lighter. The point is that the subject of the art itself hasn't changed other than his outfit no longer having a cape.

duxstar

Interesting to note that Surrak is called the hunt caller and not the dragonclaw. No idea what it means, but interesting none the less. I wonder what color Narset will be, red/white?

Thinking about it red/blue would make some sense

OnPoint

Interesting to note that Surrak is called the hunt caller and not the dragonclaw. No idea what it means, but interesting none the less. I wonder what color Narset will be, red/white?

I wouldn't be shocked if she cost 1URW. She could be UR, but there's only one RW planeswalker and two UR ones, but UR is super popular and they've been pushing it kind of hard lately and it doesn't make sense for her to lose the "knowledge" portion of her character. Especially if her name is "the great teacher".

ultron87

Interesting to note that Surrak is called the hunt caller and not the dragonclaw. No idea what it means, but interesting none the less.

I think this just shows that the clans. or at least Surrak, in Dragons will be fighting against the dragons instead of revering/being allied with them.

Yeef

I wouldn't be shocked if she cost 1URW. She could be UR, but there's only one RW planeswalker and two UR ones, but UR is super popular and they've been pushing it kind of hard lately and it doesn't make sense for her to lose the "knowledge" portion of her character. Especially if her name is "the great teacher".
I think she'll be white-blue. Jeskai is primarily blue, so she'll definitely be blue. In terms of story, there's already 2 blue-red walkers (Ral and Dack) and, with Venser dead, no white-blue walkers.

"Dragonclaw" is an honorific given to the leader of the Temur clan. If the clans still exist in the altered timeline, Surrak is likely not the leader. My guess is the clans don't exist in any significant capacity in Dragons of Tarkir and they'll be replaced with the dragon broods.

In the former picture, Jeering Instigator is holding Sidisi's headpiece.
In the new one, what is he holding?
It looks like some sort of dragon neckwear to me.

New reanimator brews/updates:

Jundead Monsters

Creatures(23):
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Sylvan Caryatid
  • 4 Flamewake Phoenix
  • 2 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
  • 2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
  • 1 Pharika, God of Affliction
  • 4 Soulflayer
  • 2 Hornet Queen

Spells(12):
  • 4 Murderous Cut
  • 3 Tormenting Voice
  • 4 Hero's Downfall
  • 2 Whip of Erebos

Lands(25):
  • 1 Mana Confluence
  • 4 Bloodstained Mire
  • 2 Wooded Foothills
  • 1 Evolving Wilds
  • 4 Llanowar Wastes
  • 3 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Temple of Abandon
  • 4 Swamp
  • 3 Forest
  • 2 Mountain

Abzan Necro Aggro

Creatures(26):
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Fleecemane Lion
  • 3 Anafenza, the Foremost
  • 4 Siege Rhino
  • 4 Wingmate Roc
  • 4 Soul of Theros
  • 2 Hornet Queen

Spells(8):
  • 3 Murderous Cut
  • 3 Abzan Charm
  • 2 Commune with the Gods

Lands(25):
  • 4 Sandsteppe Citadel
  • 4 Windswept Heath
  • 3 Caves of Koilos
  • 3 Llanowar Wastes
  • 3 Temple of Silence
  • 3 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 2 Plains
  • 1 Forest

Sidisi Whip

Creatures(24):
  • 4 Sylvan Caryatid
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Courser of Kruphix
  • 4 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
  • 2 Torrent Elemental
  • 1 Soul of Innistrad
  • 3 Hornet Queen

Spells(12):
  • 4 Murderous Cut
  • 3 Sultai Charm
  • 2 Hero's Downfall
  • 3 Whip of Erebos

Land(24):
  • 4 Opulent Palace
  • 4 Llanowar Wastes
  • 3 Forest
  • 2 Polluted Delta
  • 2 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Yavimaya Coast
  • 2 Swamp
  • 1 Temple of Mystery
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 1 Island
  • 1 Evolving Wilds
  • 1 Mana Confluence

4-Color Reanimator:
An unholy amalgamation of the above three not worth posting. Involves Hero's Blade.

Just read today's Uncharted Realms, about Sarkhan meeting with Yasova, discovering that Bolas tricked her into helping him track down Ugin and allow him to kill him, and Sarkhan getting angry and leaving.

EDIT: Release notes:
* If a face-down permanent you control leaves the battlefield, you must reveal it. You must also reveal all face-down spells and permanents you control if you leave the game or if the game ends.

* You must ensure that your face-down spells and permanents can easily be differentiated from each other. You're not allowed to mix up the cards that represent them on the battlefield in order to confuse other players. The order they entered the battlefield should remain clear. Common methods for indicating this include using markers or dice, or simply placing them in order on the battlefield. You must also track how each became face down (manifested, cast face down using the morph ability, and so on).

* There are no cards in the Fate Reforged set that would turn a face-down instant or sorcery card on the battlefield face up, but some older cards can try to do this. If something tries to turn a face-down instant or sorcery card on the battlefield face up, reveal that card to show all players it's an instant or sorcery card. The permanent remains on the battlefield face down. Abilities that trigger when a permanent turns face up won't trigger, because even though you revealed the card, it never turned face up.

* Some older Magic sets feature double-faced cards, which have a Magic card face on each side rather than a Magic card face on one side and a Magic card back on the other. The rules for double-faced cards are changing slightly to account for the possibility that they are manifested. If a double-faced card is manifested, it will be put onto the battlefield face down. While face down, it can't transform. If the front face of the card is a creature card, you can turn it face up by paying its mana cost. If you do, its front face will be up. A double-faced card on the battlefield still can't be turned face down.

Bandini

I've been messing around with some FRF standard decks and this is definitely my favorite so far. Swinging with a 12/10 haste, flying, trample, double strike dude is pretty fun. Crux of Fate is clutch. The sideboard still needs some work.

http://imgur.com/qr2ZRpr

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";147451637]New reanimator brews/updates:

Jundead Monsters

Creatures(23):
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 4 Sylvan Caryatid
  • 4 Flamewake Phoenix
  • 2 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
  • 1 Pharika, God of Affliction
  • 4 Soulflayer
  • 2 Hornet Queen

Spells(12):
  • 4 Murderous Cut
  • 3 Tormenting Voice
  • 4 Hero's Downfall
  • 2 Whip of Erebos

Lands(25):
  • 1 Mana Confluence
  • 4 Bloodstained Mire
  • 2 Wooded Foothills
  • 1 Evolving Wilds
  • 4 Llanowar Wastes
  • 3 Temple of Malady
  • 2 Temple of Abandon
  • 4 Swamp
  • 3 Forest
  • 2 Mountain
[/QUOTE]

why not just go all the way. Flameskeaper, chromanticore, stormbreath, nyx weavers, caryatids, a god or 2.

Then run all the wyafinders, communes, scout the borders, etc.

I've played tons of decks like this on cockatrice lately. Seem pretty strong.

You shouldnt even need whip.

why not just go all the way. Flameskeaper, chromanticore, stormbreath, nyx weavers, caryatids, a god or 2.

Then run all the wyafinders, communes, scout the borders, etc.

I've played tons of decks like this on cockatrice lately. Seem pretty strong.

You shouldnt even need whip.

Well Flamespeaker and chromanticore are pretty bad unless you delve them away, and I already have the effects the others give. I've never been happy with Nyx Weaver.

I have whip because lifelink is nuts and alesha is too fragile to rely on to reanimate hornet queen.

All Soulflayer needs to be good is hexproof and flying. So just playing cards that are already good on their own is enough. Frankly, the more I play the deck the less I like the red cards and the more Soulflayer rots in my hand waiting on decent value.

Honestly, there might be a good Golgari Hexproof deck waiting for Soulflayer. Tower Archer and Slyblade makes for 12 creatures, which is pretty standard for Hexproof. Can you say Vineweft? :3

That's kind of disappointing about the double-faced card interaction. I think it would have been AWESOME if manifesting a double-faced card caused it to enter the battlefield already transformed.

Shadownet

Banned
Hey GAF I have about $100. Which booster box should I buy? I'm thinking about getting Fate Reforged

WHat are the people consensus on the best set?

Matriox

Hey GAF I have about $100. Which booster box should I buy? I'm thinking about getting Fate Reforged

For $100 you'll be able to get standard stuff but not much else. For short future value Khans of Tarkir seems like the best bet, but for immediate value Fate Reforged has the best EV last I checked. That also won't last nearly as long as Ktk did.

Sorry for double post.

Singles are a better idea, imo.

Yep. Go buy 4 playsets of Dig through Time!

Hey GAF I have about $100. Which booster box should I buy?

Magic is big enough now that stores mass-crack every box the second it's released that the EV of a box falls below the lowest price you'll normally be able to buy the box for. It's generally not an efficient use of money if your goal is just to get cards to play with. (If you can find some that fell off a truck for $80, that's a different story.)

The reason to buy boxes is to draft. If you're interested in drafting with folks at home, $100 for two six-person drafts is pretty good when you've still got the card afterwards. KTK's a pretty rad format and most of its value is in fetchlands so it's a pretty solid choice for this right now.

bigkrev

If you are dead-set and won't be swayed from buying a box, you should buy Khans of Tarkir.

Unless you plan on drafting it with your friends, though, buying a box is like lightning money on fire. It's a really bad idea.

I've been trying to learn this game the past two days, and there sure is a whole lot.

Can anyone tell me what the newer rules are? It seems that Planeswalker cards are new, has the community always accepted new rules? Are there problems with the new rules that some people dislike? What are they/

kirblar

I've been trying to learn this game the past two days, and there sure is a whole lot.

Can anyone tell me what the newer rules are? It seems that Planeswalker cards are new, has the community always accepted new rules? Are there problems with the new rules that some people dislike? What are they/
Magic 2010 brought a lot of rules fixes that greatly cleaned up the combat in the game. Other than that there was one major shakeup w/ 6E to fix stuff. Rest has been fixes.

Yeef

Trying to learn all the rules upfront is less than ideal. The best way to learn it to just learn the very basic stuff; the minimum you need to play, then to play. There are tons and tons of rules that won't come up in casual play at all. As you get more comfortable with the basic rules, you can focus on the intermediate-level rules (parts of a turn, how the stack and priority work). Going beyond that isn't going to be necessary for the vast majority of players.

For the basic rules, playing the Duels of the Planeswalkers games, watching videos, or having someone teach you in person are the best methods.

If you play in the MTGO Closed Beta, you get asked to play sealed deck with packs made up of cards from the new set mixed with powerful/quirky/rare cards from Magic's past. It's designed to try to put complex, weird board states together with cards from the new set to see if you can find any bugs in the game's code. The games are often incredibly lopsided and not particularly competitive, but you get to see some crazy stuff and fill out the weirdest bug reports.

That's just to set up the context for this: I just got wrecked by a card that I've never seen before, and that might possibly be the single most annoying card to ever have to play against in sealed deck ever:

IKhj6ty.png

It's like a Winter Orb that you can never escape from. *shudder*

Shadownet

Banned
Magic is big enough now that stores mass-crack every box the second it's released that the EV of a box falls below the lowest price you'll normally be able to buy the box for. It's generally not an efficient use of money if your goal is just to get cards to play with. (If you can find some that fell off a truck for $80, that's a different story.)

The reason to buy boxes is to draft. If you're interested in drafting with folks at home, $100 for two six-person drafts is pretty good when you've still got the card afterwards. KTK's a pretty rad format and most of its value is in fetchlands so it's a pretty solid choice for this right now.

I checked on Amazon, most of the booster boxes if not all are $100 or lower.

Buying it to draft with my friends is not such a bad idea.

A lot of you guys recommended Khan of Takir. Is it the concensus best card set right now? I saw the spoiler list for Fate Reforged, but maybe I'm just a noob but nothing look really that impressive.

A lot of the cards in Khan look pretty nice though. I bought 2 Khan Fat Packs already so I have the majority of the cards from that set.

You guys think that best way to spend the money is to buy cards you need?

Matriox

A lot of you guys recommended Khan of Takir. Is it the concensus best card set right now? I saw the spoiler list for Fate Reforged, but maybe I'm just a noob but nothing look really that impressive.

A lot of the cards in Khan look pretty nice though. I bought 2 Khan Fat Packs already so I have the majority of the cards from that set.

I'd just buy the singles you need personally, but long term there are a lot of staples in KtK comparatively.

Well, if you do indeed intend to draft the box, then it's definitely better to buy a box of a large set like Khans of Tarkir than a small set like Fate Reforged, due to the variety it will bring to the draft. Fate Reforged was not designed to be drafted by itself.

More streamlined Affinity list with sideboard:

Creatures(22):
  • 4 Ornithopter
  • 4 Chief Engineer
  • 4 Renowned Weaponsmith
  • 4 Cloudform
  • 4 Scuttling Doom Engine
  • 2 Soul of New Phyrexia

Spells(4):
  • 4 Stubborn Denial

Enchantments(4):
  • 4 Ensoul Artifact

Equipment(8):
  • 4 Ghostfire Blade
  • 4 Haunted Platemail

Land(22):
  • 4 Darksteel Citadel
  • 18 Island

Sideboard(15):
  • 4 Negate (anti-control)
  • 2 Nullify (anti-midrange/heroic)
  • 4 Ordeal of Thassa (non-interactive matchups)
  • 3 Radiant Fountain (race matchups where you side out cloudform and have less intense mana requirements)
  • 2 Icy Blast (race matchups)

Shadownet

Banned
Well, if you do indeed intend to draft the box, then it's definitely better to buy a box of a large set like Khans of Tarkir than a small set like Fate Reforged, due to the variety it will bring to the draft. Fate Reforged was not designed to be drafted by itself.
Hnmm thank you for the advice. I didn't even know that Fate Reforged is a smaller set than Khan of Takir.

I don't think I have too many Journey Into Nyx cards.

I'm looking on amazon right now.

What are you guys opinions on which recent set have the best cards for constructing? Beside Khan, you guys love that set.

If I buy on Amazon. My choices are Khan of Takir, Journey Into Nyx, Conspiracy, Theros, Return to Ravnica, Magic 2012, Magic 2014 and Gatecrash.

My collection now are mostly composes of Born of the Gods, Magic 2013 Khan of Takir with a little bit of Theros and Nyx in there.

So ideally I'd like to get a booster box of a set I don't have a lot of cards of. Like Nyx or Theros. But I'm new at this so I'm not sure which set are more popular. I know there are certain set where the cards arent quite as good.

Matriox

Hnmm thank you for the advice. I didn't even know that Fate Reforged is a smaller set than Khan of Takir.

I don't think I have too many Journey Into Nyx cards.

I'm looking on amazon right now.

What are you guys opinions on which recent set have the best cards for constructing? Beside Khan, you guys love that set.

If I buy on Amazon. My choices are Khan of Takir, Journey Into Nyx, Conspiracy, Theros, Return to Ravnica, Magic 2012, Magic 2014 and Gatecrash.

My collection now are mostly composes of Born of the Gods, Magic 2013 Khan of Takir with a little bit of Theros and Nyx in there.

So ideally I'd like to get a booster box of a set I don't have a lot of cards of. Like Nyx or Theros. But I'm new at this so I'm not sure which set are more popular. I know there are certain set where the cards arent quite as good.

Theros probably imo for value and staples, not so much for draft. Id imagine FRF would be next best if not better just because the good cards are difficult to evaluate and everything is more fun than drafting theros...

A lot of you guys recommended Khan of Takir. Is it the concensus best card set right now?

Theros block was kind of a bust and M15 isn't all that exciting. Triple-Khans is probably one of the top five draft formats of all time and there's a decent chance at getting solid utility cards for the current standard environment out of a box, so it's what I would go with.

FRF is going to be a super-fun set, IMO, but you can't really draft small sets on their own.

Crocodile

Theros block was kind of a bust and M15 isn't all that exciting. Triple-Khans is probably one of the top five draft formats of all time and there's a decent chance at getting solid utility cards for the current standard environment out of a box, so it's what I would go with.

FRF is going to be a super-fun set, IMO, but you can't really draft small sets on their own.

I think we should probably wait till we've put some time between us and Khans block before making such statements. Let the honeymoon period run out and what not :p

Putting aside the subjectivity of "best" aside :p

I'm really liking the Limited Resources set review with LSV. Hearing him discuss the cards with Marshall is fascinating, especially considering how his play style and resume is so vastly different than the players they've had as regular co-hosts in the past.

Plus, they both agreed with me that Lightning Shrieker is unplayable and that Lava Axe is just better. So that was nice. :)

Firemind

With all the great Red/Blue chemistry in the recent blocks, I may do a R/U control deck if my Fish deck doesn't pan out. I love those two colors.
My man.

I'm thinking about creating a U/R control deck mimicking U/B Control. You have Lightning Strike and Anger of the Gods replacing Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow. Only cards you're missing are Thoughtseize, Hero's Downfall and Crux of Fates, but there's still Perilous Vault and Ugin. What Red can do better is close games faster. I read an article that uses Riddle of Lightning to flip Dig Through Times and deal 16 damage with Dictate of the Twin Gods. You can also flip Ugin or Treasure Cruise. Keranos doesn't really work well with Ugin and Perilous Vault, but that's as good as it gets not named Pearl Lake Ancient.

Probably not as good as U/B but oh well. Mind Swiping for lethal seems dope doe.

Arksy

Where can I find the complete list of FTF spoilers? This is my first pre-release. I'm pretty god damn exited.

I've bought into two pre release events, one of them is two headed giant. Other is sealed deck. I've bought a booster box with which I'm going to do the booster box game, and film and upload it. (Where you buy a booster box, sell everything you can and then see if it's enough to buy another booster box and repeat until you can't buy another box).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom