• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

So ban Rhino? Pod is a fun archetype that can be adjusted to in terms of meta game and management on Wizards side. I feel like something else must be coming down the pipe to warrant this.
Pods a card that pushes out real aggro decks and would eventually break anyway.

G.ZZZ

Survival and blue go hand in hand in legacy what are you talking about lol

? Good luck playing survival in a shell with less than 20 creatures like the blue one. You can do it, but it's hardly worth it. Survival it's at its best in Maverick-like decks with the added ability to search for vengevine combo on top of being a creature tutor.

It's also disgusting that they banned TC but DTT is still in and will probably be played in its place all the same, with the difference that DTT is harder to splash, which mean it encourage you to play even more blue. Legacy as a format has become a joke compared to couple of years ago.

So there's no bullet deck anymore, no reanimator deck in modern, combo got slapped but is still probably ok.

Does wizards hate anything that isn't aggro/midrange/control?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Welp, I'm not selling off modern, but I sure as shit am not buying any more of the format. Fucking kill off a unique archetype. Fuck off WotC.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148156865]So there's no bullet deck anymore, no reanimator deck in modern, combo got slapped but is still probably ok.

Does wizards hate anything that isn't aggro/midrange/control?[/QUOTE]

There are Reanimator decks, just nothing all THAT good. I do wish one would rise to prominence. I love Reanimator.

Home

Expected the modern bannings, a bit upset about cruise being banned in legacy, but oh well I suppose.

The unbannings are laughable though. Worldgorger and ggt should never have been banned in the first place.

Treasure Cruise, Dig, and Birthing Pod banned in Modern. Golgari Grave-Troll unbanned.

Treasure Cruise banned in Legacy. Worldgorger Dragon unbanned.

Treasure Cruise restricted in Vintage.

Pod getting banned was inevitable, like I said, but I am kinda surprised that it's happened now. I guess the issue is that it's now been proven as both a combo enabler and it's in the "goodstuff" decks, which means it's just too ubiquitious?

Banning Treasure Cruise is not at all a surprise. Banning Dig Through Time isn't terribly surprising, but I really thought they'd let it go for one more season. I suppose their concern is that with the other bans, Splinter Twin gets waaay too good if it can still Dig. It's not quite a straight replacement for Cruise either, let's be real here. UU Impulse Twice is way difference from U Ancestral.

Not banning Jeskai Ascendancy is a real shock to me. I suppose they think it won't be consistent enough without Treasure Cruise. I guess it's time to stock up on Visions of Beyond? Let's see if this bites them in the ass.

Unbanning Grave-Troll/Worldgorger; they're the most innocuous of the cards on their banned lists, so sure I guess. It's the most boring thing to unban, but fine. Whatever.

Restricting Cruise in Vintage was obvious. Banning it in Legacy follows from there.

In other words, they shouldn't have reprinted Ancestral Recall ;)

Firemind

? Good luck playing survival in a shell with less than 20 creatures like the blue one. You can do it, but it's hardly worth it. Survival it's at its best in Maverick-like decks with the added ability to search for vengevine combo on top of being a creature tutor.
Again, what are you talking about? Caleb Durward's U/G survival deck that made top 8 in GP Columbus 2010 played 24 creatures and got subsequently banned not long after that, because of its performance due to its ability to snowball out of control as early as turn three.

Crocodile

If Dig and Cruise got banned but Pod didn't I would have never understood their banning procedures/criteria. Also PT would have probably been PT Pod and that card was only going to get stronger with time.

How am supposed to go back to playing blue without Dig.

Junk is laughing it's way to the bank.

Sucks they are setting this precedent for bannings. No new good cards except big dumb creatures.

It feels like that doesn't it

f0rk

I hate this 'its this or no modern pro tour line' Wizards people (and Chapin??) are coming out with. If they put some Modern playable cards in the set before maybe it would be different? If the last pro tour was Modern it would have been great!
It's not like Standard didn't have a year of the same decks after each set.

ultron87

If Pod was on the chopping block they should have done it last announcement. Banning a pillar deck three months after making the format more accessible with fetch lands is going to burn a lot of people.

The Pod ban was inevitable, guys. A repeatable, essentially colorless tutor is not going to stay legal forever. I'm not upset; it's time to just rip off the band-aid.

ironmang

Thinking of dumping Scapeshift for now since Pod being so popular was one of the most appealing reasons to play the deck. Plus mono red burn should get a bump now which is a pretty bad matchup.

I do have Affinity together which should also benefit from Pod being gone.

f0rk

The Pod ban was inevitable, guys. A repeatable, essentially colorless tutor is not going to stay legal forever. I'm not upset; it's time to just rip off the band-aid.
I disagree it was inevitable, they could have easily gone the other way with relevant unbannings.
Just needed a way of getting more Jaces out there...

I disagree it was inevitable, they could have easily gone the other way with relevant unbannings.
Just needed a way of getting more Jaces out there...

With the way that Wizards prints creatures these days, it's naive to think that Pod wasn't going to get banned at some point. I didn't think Siege Rhino was the card that was going to push it over the edge, but the alternative point of view is that there's no reason to let a card keep going if its death is coming.

ironmang

Only thing I don't like with the way they handle bans is making it effective just days later. 2/4 people in our car for a tournament this weekend don't want to go since they don't have time to get enough reps with different decks.

Oh and I wonder if this puts infect in T1 territory now.

OnPoint

With the way that Wizards prints creatures these days, it's naive to think that Pod wasn't going to get banned at some point. I didn't think Siege Rhino was the card that was going to push it over the edge, but the alternative point of view is that there's no reason to let a card keep going if its death is coming.

I still feel like something is coming that would make Pod better. Some creature or something that would just crush with it.

WanderingWind

Modern really is a trainwreck. Wizards just doesn't understand "eternal" format. They're scared shitless of any change to the format that they designed at the time, so expect from here on out that any card that sees even a modicum of success in the format will be banned. Their official justification for it is utter shit, too.

"Over the past year, Birthing Pod decks have won significantly more Grand Prix than any other Modern decks and compose the largest percentage of the field. Each year, new powerful options are printed, most recently Siege Rhino. Over time, this creates a growing gap between the strength of the Pod deck and other creature decks. Pod won five of the twelve Grand Prix over the past year, including winning the last two. The high percentage of the field playing Pod suppresses decks, especially other creature decks, that have an unfavorable matchup. In the interest of supporting a diverse format, Birthing Pod is banned."

That's the weirdest fucking double speak I've seen today. Banning an archetype on the basis of creating a more diverse format. Maybe look at how many decks run Lightning Bolt and Delver next. Better ban those next.

WanderingWind

He's not wrong though. Aggressive creature strategies have been oppressed by pod for years now.

He's completely, utterly wrong. Aggressive creature decks have been oppressed by the cheap, effective removal in Modern. You're never going to have a great aggressive creature format in a world with Bolt, Path and Decay especially in the shell that exists with delver that can run two of the three, plus Cryptic. It just won't happen.

bigkrev

Really happy with the bans. Treasure Cruise has been in obvious need of a ban, and i'm glad they preemtivly got rid of Dig as well, as it just would have replaced Cruise in most decks and only made them slightly worse- they target the actual problem, not just making them "slightly" worse.

Really glad BBE did not get unbanned either. Fuck buyouts, I hope they are never able to move them.

GGT is interesting... it's certainly powerful enough to build a deck around, but the question is if it's good enough to play.

And finally, Birthing Pod. I'm shocked this didn't happen ages ago. Deck has basically been the best deck in the format forever, and it's existence made all other aggro decks in the format redundant.

Really happy with this overall.

Pod had turned into Jund due to Voice->Finks>Rhino being such an insane value chain. That value/lifegain package really did make aggro decks not-viable.

I really liked Pod when it was just Kiki Pod and Melira Pod. When Pod decks just became Value Pod, the card stopped being "interesting and good" and became "repetitive and boring and good."

y2dvd

Thinking of going Mardu Midrange/Control for the new meta. Mainboard a few Anger of the Gods because I expect to see a lot of Soulfires/Monastery Mentor and it just hits a lot of creatures. Go PW heavy, run my own Soulfire/Mentor once I can clear the board, maybe throw in an Outpost Siege, replacing Chandra at the 4cmc slot. Citadel Siege may even find a home here.

Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time bannings are expected.
Birthing Pod is surprising. In the past, I did think that it was interesting to have a "utility belt" deck where you could plug in a creature for any situation and reliably bring it out, but I always did feel that such a deck shouldn't have been as powerful as it was. It seems like the choice was either to never print a 4-mana or less creature with a decent unique enter the battlefield or death effect again and ban Siege Rhino, or ban Birthing Pod. I do think it would be interesting to see a weaker version appear at some point. Like:

Big Bertha Pod - 1GG
Artifact
1G, T, Sacrifice a creature: Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost equal to 1 plus the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost and that shares a color with the sacrificed creature, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

EDIT: Also, the ban list announcement indeed did have an explanation in the article.
Besides, don't they usually give an explanation in the announcement article when there actually are changes? Fake.

Separate article.

Jund went Junk before with Lingering Souls and Ajani.
I wonder if plugging in Rhinos is enough.
But I love Jund/Junk.
God I need Goyfs.

I've been playing Twin and was excited to use Dig through Time. So yeah, peeves me off.

I also had Pod probably 97% built too, but never played the deck. Just lacked Linvala and Iona really.

I waste money on too many cards lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom