• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148172852]Just buy cheap decks like me and win your money back in two weeks.[/QUOTE]

How good is Happy Fun Time Rainbow Bogles in this new format do you think?

OnPoint

Jund went Junk before with Lingering Souls and Ajani.
I wonder if plugging in Rhinos is enough.
But I love Jund/Junk.
God I need Goyfs.

I've been playing Twin and was excited to use Dig through Time. So yeah, peeves me off.

I also had Pod probably 97% built too, but never played the deck. Just lacked Linvala and Iona really.

I waste money on too many cards lol

Aside from the fetches I could have built Pod.

I really wish I had done that now, I'll never get the chance to play it again.

Thank god they banned pod. I don't even play any formats besides limited and that card is so f'ing broken it hurts. I hate that cards like that were ever printed.

inthrall

Aw man, pod banned? This makes me sad, that deck was so much fun to play in Modern. Always interesting choices to make, and there was a million ways to outplay opponents when they had no idea what was in your deck

I wonder, what would be the minimum change to Birthing Pod to make it not the dominant deck, but still make it strong? Requiring G instead of Phyrexian mana? Requiring that the fetched creature share a color with the sacrificed creature?

How good is Happy Fun Time Rainbow Bogles in this new format do you think?
Pod was the worst matchup and the best deck in the format previously, so that's a plus. Delver might actually get harder to fight if they drop the fluff for more counters and tempo-style plays, but the deck will be less popular overall so it also winds up a plus.

Some combo decks get weaker which is also a plus since they could race bogles more effectively than a creature mirror.

The major negative is that the deck's second worst matchup Junk(and not by much after Pod), gets much stronger in comparison and thus more popular. I'll probably add a third boros charm to the main and bring back the Leylines out of the side to compensate, but it's not gonna be easy. It's possible that UWR comes back and it's correct to bring back more umbras again, but it's always been a good matchup so I'd wait before overcompensating.

Junk is only worse than pod against us because they can't block as easily as pod could and they deal more damage to themselves, but at the same time they have a higher density of cards that actually interact and game one on the draw can be an instant loss to discard effects.

God's Beard, whats your bogles list?

Rainbow Bogles

Creatures(12):
  • 4 Slippery Bogle
  • 4 Gladecover Scout
  • 4 Invisible Stalker

Enchantments(23):
  • 4 Rancor
  • 4 Ethereal Armor
  • 1 Spider Umbra
  • 3 Hyena Umbra
  • 1 Spirit Link
  • 2 Mortal Obstinacy
  • 1 Flamespeaker's Will
  • 4 Daybreak Coronet
  • 3 Madcap Skills

Spells(6):
  • 3 Path to Exile
  • 3 Boros Charm

Land(19):
  • 3 City of Brass
  • 4 Mana Confluence
  • 4 Gemstone Mine
  • 4 Horizon Canopy
  • 4 Razorverge Thicket

Sideboard(15):
  • 1 Path to Exile
  • 2 Suppression Field
  • 2 Stony Silence
  • 1 Rest in Peace
  • 2 Spell Pierce
  • 3 Inquisition of Kozilek
  • 4 Leyline of Sanctity

Holy shit. Worldgorger Dragon is selling at $30 on Ebay (these are completed listings).

At 11:05am today I bought a playset on Ebay for $5, and a foil Japanese copy for $72. Do you guys think the sellers will actually honor it?

bigkrev

Holy shit. Worldgorger Dragon is selling at $30 on Ebay (these are completed listings).

At 11:05am today I bought a playset on Ebay for $5, and a foil Japanese copy for $72. Do you guys think the sellers will actually honor it?

Doubtful, and I wouldn't hold it against them. I think most websites have a policy that they do not honor their prices on Ban list stuff untill they price adjust

Doubtful, and I wouldn't hold it against them. I think most websites have a policy that they do not honor their prices on Ban list stuff untill they price adjust

True but I'm not sure that applies to Ebay stores. On Ebay aren't you obligated to sell your item for whatever price it sells at? Like it's a legally binding contract or something.

I wouldn't blame them for trying to find a way out, but I'm not sure they can (at least according to Ebay's rules)

Yeef

Fate Reforged heavily hints that Dragons will have an allied-color theme. I think it's already clear that we'll get a white-blue Narset walker card, but I'm thinking we'll also get a Rakdos-colored walker. Right now, the only walker card in that combo is Sarkhan the Mad, which is a more out-of-the-box design. I think we'll finally get a more traditional black-red walker in the next set.

kirblar

Fate Reforged heavily hints that Dragons will have an allied-color theme. I think it's already clear that we'll get a white-blue Narset walker card, but I'm thinking we'll also get a Rakdos-colored walker. Right now, the only walker card in that combo is Sarkhan the Mad, which is a more out-of-the-box design. I think we'll finally get a more traditional black-red walker in the next set.
I think Narset will remain a RWU exception or drop one of the non-red colors. The ADHD was highlighted in their lore and it'd be weird to drop it when we come back.

Socat

I think it might end up being Yasova as a planeswalker after reading http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/unwritten-2015-01-14

Crocodile

Hey guys I'm more or less new to the game. I picked up some Khans packs and went to two of the Fate Reforged prereleases. I picked Sultai each time so now I'm trying to make a deck out of what I have, focused around the Delve mechanic. Any comments on what I chose and/or what to get next are appreciated.

3x Taigam's Scheming
1x Sultai Skullkeeper
2x Satyr Wayfinder
1x Commune with the Gods
3x Sultai Emissary
1x Gurmag Swiftwing
1x Grave Strength
1x Marang River Prowler
3x Scout the Borders
1x Merciless Executioner
3x Sultai Charm
1x Sultai Ascendancy
1x Grim Contest
1x Undergrowth Scavenger
1x Will of the Naga
3x Become Immense
1x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2x Necropolis Fiend
1x Shambling Attendants
2x Villainous Growth
2x Sultai Soothsayer
1x Rakshasa Vizier

3x Thornwood falls
3x Dismal Backwater
2x Jungle Hollow
5x Island
5x Forest
5x Swamp

Hey guys I'm more or less new to the game. I picked up some Khans packs and went to two of the Fate Reforged prereleases. I picked Sultai each time so now I'm trying to make a deck out of what I have, focused around the Delve mechanic. Any comments on what I chose and/or what to get next are appreciated.

3x Taigam's Scheming
1x Sultai Skullkeeper
2x Satyr Wayfinder
1x Commune with the Gods
3x Sultai Emissary
1x Gurmag Swiftwing
1x Grave Strength
1x Marang River Prowler
3x Scout the Borders
1x Merciless Executioner
3x Sultai Charm
1x Sultai Ascendancy
1x Grim Contest
1x Undergrowth Scavenger
1x Will of the Naga
3x Become Immense
1x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2x Necropolis Fiend
1x Shambling Attendants
2x Villainous Growth
2x Sultai Soothsayer
1x Rakshasa Vizier

3x Thornwood falls
3x Dismal Backwater
2x Jungle Hollow
5x Island
5x Forest
5x Swamp

I posted a fun green/black deck a few pages back that uses delve pretty heavily, including sone of the cards you have. Most of the cards are pretty cheap, too:

Golgari Aggro

Creatures(18):
  • 4 Bassara Tower Archer
  • 4 Xathrid Slyblade
  • 4 Pharika, God of Affliction
  • 2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
  • 4 Soulflayer

Spells(20):
  • 4 Commune with the Gods
  • 4 Grave Strength
  • 4 Become Immense
  • 4 Titanic Growth
  • 4 Strength From the Fallen

Land(22):
  • 2 Mana Confluence
  • 2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 4 Llanowar Wastes
  • 4 Temple of Malady
  • 4 Jungle Hollow
  • 3 Forest
  • 2 Swamp

Sideboard(15):
  • 1 Erebos, God of the Dead
  • 4 Mortal's Resolve
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 2 Whip of Erebos
  • 4 Drown in Sorrow

The idea is to make one big dude that they can't kill and just stomp all over them!

One of the cool things about magic is how flexible it is. If you like some of my ideas, but you have a favorite card, there's nothing wrong with coming up with all kinds of crazy busy experiments.

ElyrionX

I need to settle on a deck to focus on for the Modern GP (Singapore) in June and I can't decide. I have virtually all cards in the UWR colors for all the possible archetypes.

I really like control but don't think I will have enough time to grind for the experience needed to pilot UWR Control well by the time the GP comes around. I have been playing UWR Geist but it has never been a tier 1 deck so I'm not sure if it's the best idea to settle on it going forward. So that leaves me with UWR Twin or UR Twin, I guess?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148156865]So there's no bullet deck anymore, no reanimator deck in modern, combo got slapped but is still probably ok.

Does wizards hate anything that isn't aggro/midrange/control?[/QUOTE]

Combo is tough to balance and WotC are a little oversensitive to it. Reanimator is fair for Modern but it's uniquely difficult to help because any new reanimation spell that would be good in the format would be broken in Standard. Silver bullet decks are an irritating problem if you don't watch them carefully since they just turn into good stuff decks that always get a good draw (which is exactly what Pod was in Modern by the end.)

Back in the day all we had were aggro, combo, control, and midrange, and we liked it dagnabbit!

I need to settle on a deck to focus on for the Modern GP (Singapore) in June and I can't decide. I have virtually all cards in the UWR colors for all the possible archetypes.

I really like control but don't think I will have enough time to grind for the experience needed to pilot UWR Control well by the time the GP comes around. I have been playing UWR Geist but it has never been a tier 1 deck so I'm not sure if it's the best idea to settle on it going forward. So that leaves me with UWR Twin or UR Twin, I guess?

You could always man up and play Blistercoil Storm.

Vman

Ordered a few Ugins, sadly there doesn't seem to be much in FR for my G/B Constellation deck. Might have to build a Jeskai standard deck soon. We'll see.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148262630]You could always man up and play Blistercoil Storm.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I actually want to win some games here and there.

Firemind

Play something you're comfortable with. Personally, I don't think UWR control will be that difficult to pilot. It's not like you can durdle forever in modern. The hard part is building a 75 deck that's equipped to beat a large part of the (new) metagame. I always try to look if I can gain an edge in particular matchups I think will get played a lot. Winning like 14 matches is pretty tough, but maybe the attendance numbers won't be too bad in Singapore? At least test the Twin, Robot, Burn, Delver, Scapeshift and maybe Storm matchup. Midrange is... eh. Midrange will do midrangy stuff now that Pod is gone, so they should be fairly predictable.

Arksy

I was putting together a Jeskai Tokens deck but now that FRF has come out should I continue assembling it, or wait for changes and updates with the new set? (For reference I have about everything except for the lands, the goblin rabblemasters and the planeswalkers).

OnPoint

I was putting together a Jeskai Tokens deck but now that FRF has come out should I continue assembling it, or wait for changes and updates with the new set? (For reference I have about everything except for the lands, the goblin rabblemasters and the planeswalkers).

I feel like the Rabblemasters, lands and 'walkers will probably find homes even if Jeskai Tokens falls off, so they're probably not bad investments.

Kerrinck

PPTQ's are this weekend so I'm looking for some help on my 4c Delve. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated since I am a bit ouf of the loop when it comes to standard. I saw some lists adding wingmate roc but I'm not too sure if that's too heavy for the deck.
4 Siege Rhino
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
1 Treasure Cruise
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
3 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
4 Opulent Palace
2 Anafenza, the Foremost
4 Murderous Cut
4 Soul of Theros
3 Mana Confluence
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Satyr Wayfinder
3 Commune with the Gods
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Windswept Heath
2 Forest
2 Plains
2 Yavimaya Coast
2 Llanowar Wastes

Any Fate Reforged cards I should consider? I was thinking of Torrent Elemental since it combos nicely with Soul of Theros as an alpha strike enabler and also Whisperwood Elemental as an anti wrath measure.

Is geist a good pickup at 14$?

Im slowly building a UWR deck for modern...

You can find them a couple bucks cheaper on eBay if you hunt, but that's really close to the right price for them.

They have potential to go up from here since the bannings, so if you need them, now is the right time.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148329080]Geist sucks

except that one time I played modern mythic conscription[/QUOTE]

Oh I want to do that now

Kerrinck

Is geist a good pickup at 14$?

Im slowly building a UWR deck for modern...

Definitely. The bannings will probably give the deck a chance to breathe again since it had trouble with both pod and delver.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148329080]Geist sucks

except that one time I played modern mythic conscription[/QUOTE]

You play boggles, a hexproof grizzly bear is more than fair when compared.

I still think it's funny that the last time they printed a draw spell with cost reduction (Thoughtcast), they kept it at two cards. They really, really pushed the envelope with Treasure Cruise - it's still kind of absurd that it ever got printed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom