• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148329080]Geist sucks

except that one time I played modern mythic conscription[/QUOTE]

didnt think it was possible for you to not like something with hexproof!

OnPoint

I still think it's funny that the last time they printed a draw spell with cost reduction (Thoughtcast), they kept it at two cards. They really, really pushed the envelope with Treasure Cruise - it's still kind of absurd that it ever got printed.

I am glad that they push the envelope sometimes.

I am not glad it's almost always pushed in blue.

Crocodile

I still think it's funny that the last time they printed a draw spell with cost reduction (Thoughtcast), they kept it at two cards. They really, really pushed the envelope with Treasure Cruise - it's still kind of absurd that it ever got printed.

I mean if Treasure Cruise cost 4U with Delve instead of 7U, it probably would've only draw two cards as well.

Toxi

Banned
I'm very surprised by the Birthing Pod ban.
I am glad that they push the envelope sometimes.

I am not glad it's almost always pushed in blue.
They're getting better about that. Deathrite Shaman, Abrupt Decay, and Young Pyromancer are all fine recent non-Blue cards.

Kerrinck

I'm very surprised by the Birthing Pod ban.

They're getting better about that. Deathrite Shaman, Abrupt Decay, and Young Pyromancer are all fine recent non-Blue cards.

I like the ban, allows other aggro decks to shine.
Kinda hard to race a deck that can gain 7 life on turn 3 while leaving a 2/1 and a 4/5 trampler behind.

Oh I want to do that now

Here's my old list lol

Creature (26)
  • 4x Birds of Paradise
  • 4x Noble Hierarch
  • 4x Lotus Cobra
  • 4x Geist of Saint Traft
  • 4x Knight of the Reliquary
  • 4x Sovereigns of Lost Alara
  • 2x Thrun, the Last Troll

Instant (6)
  • 2x Mana Leak
  • 4x Remand

Enchantment (4)
  • 2x Eldrazi Conscription
  • 2x Unflinching Courage

Land (24)
  • 3x Breeding Pool
  • 3x Forest
  • 2x Hallowed Fountain
  • 1x Island
  • 2x Marsh Flats
  • 4x Misty Rainforest
  • 1x Plains
  • 1x Sejiri Steppe
  • 1x Tectonic Edge
  • 2x Temple Garden
  • 4x Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard (15)
  • 2x Celestial Purge
  • 4x Dispel
  • 2x Loxodon Smiter
  • 2x Path to Exile
  • 2x Stony Silence
  • 2x Qasali Pridemage
  • 1x Engineered Explosives

Bandini

See a Bogle in a smoky room
Smell of auras and cheap hexproof
Before you mulligan you roll the dice
Then draw on and on and on and on

Creatures, facin'
Each other on the battlefield
Totem Armor's
Got you feelin' alright
Stalker beatin'
Down your opponent's life
Then Liliana makes you sac it
In the niiiiiiiiiiiight

Don't stop enchantin'
Til your opponents rantin'

.... I think I drank too much coffee today

Hire me, wizards.

Mind Bogle UG
Hexproof, Can't be countered
When Mind Bogle enters the battlefield, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs 1 or less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom in a random order.
Sacrifice all lands you control: non-land permanents you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
0/1

It's because of Dryad Arbor. 1cc Llanowar Elves + Infinite Split Card is absurd.

It also has the same problem that Pod has - it homogenizes strategies and gives you access to everything you need at all times for a negligible cost. Once you have 4x GSZ in your deck, you might as well have a Qasali Pridemage, a Scavenging Ooze, an Eternal Witness, a Kitchen Finks, etc etc etc.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148346384]Hire me, wizards.

Mind Bogle UG
Hexproof, Can't be countered
When Mind Bogle enters the battlefield, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs 1 or less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom in a random order.
Sacrifice all lands you control: non-land permanents you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
0/1[/QUOTE]

Just say "Cascade." ;)

f0rk

What was the reason for green suns zenith being banned in Modern? Could that be unbanned next?

If they banned Dryad Arbor they could unban it.
But after yesterday I don't think we'll see anything of consequence unbanned in Modern for a long time.

inthrall

How? Have you see its numbers and results? If banning for power-level and over-representation is at all a thing in Modern (and it OBVIOUSLY is given the ban-list), Pod had to go.

I feel like they left pod in the format as long as possible, because it was one of the most fun decks around, but siege rhino make the deck a bit too consistent.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148347722]You can't use cascade for a bogle, the enchantment wouldn't go anywhere lol[/QUOTE]

Yep, totally misread it. You're doing it on ETB. Carry on. :)

bigkrev

If they banned Dryad Arbor they could unban it.
But after yesterday I don't think we'll see anything of consequence unbanned in Modern for a long time.

If Zoo doesn't take off in the new environment, I could see them banning Arbor and unbanning GSZ.

If Zoo doesn't take off in the new environment, I could see them banning Arbor and unbanning GSZ.

You should never ban the innocuous piece to let you play with the more dangerous piece.

Banning Golgari Grave-Troll over Dread Return was a mistake, and Dread Return is now banned and Grave-Troll unbanned.
Stoneforge Mystic is banned, not Batterskull.
Glimpse of Nature is banned, not Heritage Druid.
Sword of the Meek is banned, not Thopter Foundry.
Etc, etc, etc,.

bigkrev

You should never ban the innocuous piece to let you play with the more dangerous piece.

Banning Golgari Grave-Troll over Dread Return was a mistake, and Dread Return is now banned and Grave-Troll unbanned.
Stoneforge Mystic is banned, not Batterskull.
Glimpse of Nature is banned, not Heritage Druid.
Sword of the Meek is banned, not Thopter Foundry.
Etc, etc, etc,.

The only reason GSZ is banned is because it's a split card of G-Get a forest and X+1 G- get any creature. If Dryad Arbor didn't exist, the card isn't even close to bannable.

The only reason GSZ is banned is because it's a split card of G-Get a forest and X+1 G- get any creature. If Dryad Arbor didn't exist, the card isn't even close to bannable.

That's not at all the only reason it was banned. It's banned for being just too efficient at what it does and for reducing diversity in deck construction. Its existence turns every green deck into a toolbox deck.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/161b

On turn one, this can give the acceleration of a Llanowar Elves by getting a Dryad Arbor. On later turns, it can get a large creature or a one-of "toolbox" creature such as Gaddock Teeg. While this is interesting, it is also too efficient. If one intends to build a deck that has turn-one accelerants, Green Sun's Zenith is a great choice. If one wants to more access to utility green creatures, Green Sun's Zenith is a great choice. If one wants to more reliably get a large green creature, such as a Primeval Titan, onto the battlefield, Green Sun's Zenith is a great choice. However, this ends up with fewer different decks being played in practice, as Green Sun's Zenith is such a good choice that there are fewer green decks that do anything else. The DCI hopes that banning Green Sun's Zenith increases diversity among Modern green decks.

The first line of that literally says "because you can also use this to fetch a Forrest, it's too good".

The DCI said:
On turn one, this can give the acceleration of a Llanowar Elves by getting a Dryad Arbor. On later turns, it can get a large creature or a one-of "toolbox" creature such as Gaddock Teeg. While this is interesting, it is also too efficient. If one intends to build a deck that has turn-one accelerants, Green Sun's Zenith is a great choice. If one wants to more access to utility green creatures, Green Sun's Zenith is a great choice. If one wants to more reliably get a large green creature, such as a Primeval Titan, onto the battlefield, Green Sun's Zenith is a great choice. However, this ends up with fewer different decks being played in practice, as Green Sun's Zenith is such a good choice that there are fewer green decks that do anything else. The DCI hopes that banning Green Sun's Zenith increases diversity among Modern green decks.

Green Sun's Zenith is too good even if it can't fetch a Dryad Arbor. Don't get too hung up on the first sentence of the paragraph of text explaining why GSZ is banned. This statement

If Dryad Arbor didn't exist, the card isn't even close to bannable.

is simply not true. It makes a lot of sense to have Green Sun's Zenith on the banned list even if it can't fetch Dryad Arbor.

That's not at all the only reason it was banned. It's banned for being just too efficient at what it does and for reducing diversity in deck construction. Its existence turns every green deck into a toolbox deck.

Additionally, why ban a bad card to leave a powerful card that has the potential to get even more busted in the future?

If you start playing that game, we have to start banning the other pieces of the toolbox too.

You know, I wonder if we'll be getting a Birthing Pod variation in Dragons of Tarkir. A Morphing Pod, if you will.

Morphing Pod - 3G
Artifact
Morph 3G
1G, T, Sacrifice a creature, Turn Morphing Pod face down: Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost equal to 1 plus the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Well, who knows if we'll even be getting non-creature morphs in Dragons, let alone colored artifacts. Regardless, I do think it's pretty likely that we'll be getting Birthing Pod variations in the future.

Other one I thought of:

Dragon Pod - 2R
Enchantment
R, Sacrifice a face-down creature: Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost equal to 1 plus the sacrificed card's converted mana cost, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. It has haste. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only once per turn.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148381379]Nobody ever wants to trade me Bitterblossom for my Standard cards.[/QUOTE]I need a playset of Bitterblossoms, but I'm not willing to pay anywhere near what they're going for now. There's no reason it should be $40. Hopefully it'll be in MM2 or a commander deck or something.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148385090]Tasigurs are already sleeved up in my whip deck lol[/QUOTE]

You were playing Hooting Mandrills before, and he's like a strict upgrade, right? ;)

He's fine. There are a lot of people super overvaluing him right now. Blocking Siege Rhino is his most important job, but he doesn't even trade with it. He won't see zero play, but my gut is that he won't be ubiquitous either.

You were playing Hooting Mandrills before, and he's like a strict upgrade, right? ;)

He's fine. There are a lot of people super overvaluing him right now. Blocking Siege Rhino is his most important job, but he doesn't even trade with it. He won't see zero play, but my gut is that he won't be ubiquitous either.

He's a 3-mana 4/5 with upside. That's approaching Tarmogoyf levels. Often he's only 2 mana. The guy seems kind of nuts. Unless he's spiked recently I think he's undervalued

Yeah, he takes the Mandrills' old slots. He's not a strict upgrade, because trample was actually relevant, but the ability to draw cards when you don't have anything to do is pretty huge. I'm probably gonna swap from Abzan to Sidisi, though. My Abzan aggro/reanimator hybrid got a lot worse after Valorous Stance got printed. The whole reason I built the deck was to dodge lightning strike and now there isn't a point anymore, so I might as well get full value out of my cards.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148404638]Yeah, he takes the Mandrills' old slots. He's not a strict upgrade, because trample was actually relevant, but the ability to draw cards when you don't have anything to do is pretty huge. I'm probably gonna swap from Abzan to Sidisi, though. My Abzan aggro/reanimator hybrid got a lot worse after Valorous Stance got printed. The whole reason I built the deck was to dodge lightning strike and now there isn't a point anymore, so I might as well get full value out of my cards.[/QUOTE]

5 toughness seems a lot better than 4 toughness (ie, dodges Stoke)

My LGS is starting up a playtesting night on Tuesdays. We brought proxy decks down and tried out some new Standard stuff. We simply slotted in Monastery Mentor for the Seeker of the Ways and dropped a Purphoros into Jeskai Tokens and the deck is brrrroken good. Like, I went looking for Mentor trades immediately afterward.

I got 3 Tasigurs from trades to night and I'm looking to slot him into Sidisi or Abzan. I'm hoping to have enough delve to give my opponents bad decisions for the card they give me. I'm interested to see how he turns out.

We also worked out a neat little combo. Frontier Siege, naming Dragons (Whenever a creature with flying enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature you don't control.); Alesha, Who Smiles at Death; Hornet Queen in the graveyard. Alesha basically becomes a must-kill because she becomes a machine gun on attacks. In a Jund graveyard strategy, this could be one nutso outcome. Or it could be Naya and you go planeswalkers and Stormbreaths/Rocs for the rest of the top end of the deck.

Oh, I got Villainous Wealthed for 7 in a game. Then the next turn, Villainous Wealthed for 24. And I still nearly won because I cast a Hornet Queen between his two VWs.

ironmang

Currently doing some major tweaking with my Scapeshift list since I'll likely be on that until I get enough playtesting with Affinity to make the switch. Angers definitely turning into Pyroclasms unless Zoo becomes a little less fringe. Inferno Titans being dropped for 1 or 2 Wurmcoils. 1 Cascade Bluffs -> 2nd Flooded Grove. Maindecking a couple Cliques over the previous Angers. Might even try a couple of the 4 sideboarded Obstinate Baloths maindeck if Liliana decks, Burn, and UWR control fill the pod void.

Thinking of giving this UWR Kiki Control deck a shot. Thoughts, anyone?

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/28671_Kiki-Control-in-Modern.html

I think Lightning Helix is one of the most appealing reasons to play R/W/x now. Definitely should make some room for it until we see how big a factor burn and maybe zoo will be.

ultron87

Here's the story of what Sarkhan actually did in the past to change things:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/reforged-chain-2015-01-21

Bolas still defeats Ugin and departs (after Yasova Act of Treasons all of Tarkir's dragons), but Sarkhan uses his hedron to construct a healing hedron cocoon thing (as seen on Crucible of the Spirit Dragon) around Ugin, presumably saves his life, and makes the dragon tempests continue. He then fades away from the past as a temporal impossibility.

OnPoint

Here's the story of what Sarkhan actually did in the past to change things:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/reforged-chain-2015-01-21

Bolas still defeats Ugin and departs (after Yasova Act of Treasons all of Tarkir's dragons), but Sarkhan uses his hedron to construct a healing hedron cocoon thing (as seen on Crucible of the Spirit Dragon) around Ugin, presumably saves his life, and makes the dragon tempests continue. He then fades away from the past as a temporal impossibility.
I'm really interested to see the conclusion. Sarkhan won't be a PW anymore is still my guess.

Oh, so that's why there were hedrons in Crucible of the Spirit Dragon. I didn't consider that it was the cocoon used to heal Ugin. Also, it was clever that Bolas's ace was Yasova using that magic on her card but presumably expanded by his magic. I liked that story, and it was nice to see a portrayal of oldswalkers that wasn't either "they wave their hand and Eldrazi spawn are erased" or "for some reason, they decided to wear mecha suits and go fight instead of using magic".

OnPoint

wait, what?

It makes sense and is a great way to wrap up his character arc.

Oh, so that's why there were hedrons in Crucible of the Spirit Dragon. I didn't consider that it was the cocoon used to heal Ugin. Also, it was clever that Bolas's ace was Yasova using that magic on her card but presumably expanded by his magic. I liked that story, and it was nice to see a portrayal of oldswalkers that wasn't either "they wave their hand and Eldrazi spawn are erased" or "for some reason, they decided to wear mecha suits and go fight instead of using magic".

That whole mecha suit thing was so stupid. They had no idea what they were doing with 'walkers back then at all.

Firemind

How does that make sense? Unless time travel in magic works differently, you can't just change species in different dimensions!

I'm now picturing a highly anthropomorphized Sarkhan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom