• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I'm aware of Form of the Dragon, but I rationalize that as Sarkhan knowing shapeshifting. I mean, he can already turn into a dragon in his latest planeswalker card. What I took from kirblar's post is that he's going to permanently turn into a dragon.

kirblar

I'm aware of Form of the Dragon, but I rationalize that as Sarkhan knowing shapeshifting. I mean, he can already turn into a dragon in his latest planeswalker card. What I took from kirblar's post is that he's going to permanently turn into a dragon.
Yeah, that's what I think happens.

So, I got Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers from the current Humble Bundle. What exactly is the disadvantage against MTG:O? Afaik you have to pay real money for virtual cards in MTG:O, while in D15 you get more boosters than you can handle. Also I only found whole sets in the shop, no single boosters. I wonder what justifies the model of MTG:O than?

So, I got Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers from the current Humble Bundle. What exactly is the disadvantage against MTG:O? Afaik you have to pay real money for virtual cards in MTG:O, while in D15 you get more boosters than you possibly can handle. Also I only found whole sets in the shop, no single boosters. I wonder what justifies the model of MTG:O than?

Duels of the Planeswalkers only has a limited number of cards built into it, to best support AI play, and it's primarily for single-player play.

So, I got Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers from the current Humble Bundle. What exactly is the disadvantage against MTG:O? Afaik you have to pay real money for virtual cards in MTG:O, while in D15 you get more boosters than you can handle. Also I only found whole sets in the shop, no single boosters. I wonder what justifies the model of MTG:O than?

There is no such thing.

f0rk

You can't play the formats that Wizards actually put game development time into, just some weird casual mashup mostly based on core sets.

Got some cards and made a casual/Modern deck I intend to start playing in some local friendly formats in my city. Bear in mind my cardpool and budget is low, and I have some clearly filler cards because I don't have enough to round it out at this point. After the decklist, I'm going to post the wishlist for my next order of cards.

image.php
hehe
R/U Izzet (60)

Creatures (15)
Blistercoil Weird x3
Furnace Scamp x4
Goblin Electromancer x3
Guttersnipe x3
Izzet Guildmage x2

Instants/Sorceries (23)
Lightning Strike x4
Magma Jet x3
Mana Leak x4
Vapor Snag x4

Land (21)
Izzet Boilerworks x4
Swiftwater Cliffs x4
Mountains x8
Islands x5

Filler
Volcanic Geyser x4
Nullify x1
Voyage's End x1
Crippling Chill x1
Sleep x2
I think it's pretty straightforward. The deck rotates around Guttersnipe for its main kill condition, then just burn the opponent as fast as possible while using Blue to control the board.

Furnace Scamp and Blistercoil Weird are just fodder bodies for now, but I like Scamp more for its ability. It's not essential, though. What is essential is more instants and sorceries.

This is my wishlist:
Guttersnipe x1
Magma Jet x1 (this deck needs a playset)
Shock x4 (somehow I forgot to order this)
Voyage's End x2 (mostly for Scry)

I really want some Serum Visions in this deck, but goddamn it's pricey. Not ready to plop down that much money for that card, even though it's perfect for this deck's tempo.

I also know at the higher level, Young Pyromancer is a staple in this sort of deck. That card's pretty expensive too, though, so I don't really want it. Chandra's Phoenix is the other staple I've seen, but I kind of like the flow the deck has. Maybe if I get into tougher competitive levels I'll get it and replace Scamp with it, but I like having a one-drop.

Comments, criticisms?

Firemind

Furnace Scamp and Blistercoil Weird are just fodder bodies for now, but I like Scamp more for its ability. It's not essential, though. What is essential is more instants and sorceries.
Furnace Scamp and Blistercoil Weird are pretty bad, yeah. You're better off playing one mana creatures that have two power. Rakdos Cackler is pretty cheap.
Magma Jet x1 (this deck needs a playset)
Scry is pretty good, but it's a bit overrated unless the card has 'draw a card' stamped on it.
Shock x4 (somehow I forgot to order this)
Don't get shock. Get lightning bolt. They may be $1 a piece, but it's worth the extra one point of damage. Then get rift bolt, which is lightning bolt but at sorcery. There's also lava spike but it doesn't hit creatures. edit: never mind lava spike is $2 LOL
Voyage's End x2 (mostly for Scry)
4x Vapor Snag should be enough bounce. Play more burn to lower life totals drastically with Guttersnipe.
I really want some Serum Visions in this deck, but goddamn it's pricey. Not ready to plop down that much money for that card, even though it's perfect for this deck's tempo.
Serum Visions is what now? $8? Jesus Christ. It's an okay card, but it's really only necessary when you play Delver of Secrets. Otherwise don't bother.

It's actually ridiculous how high prices have jumped. I mean, seriously, $15+ for Goblin Guide? It better be in MM2.

I'm still crying over my lost playset of Serum Visions. ;_;

Also, the lowest I see Lightning Bolt is $2.50.

:: edit ::

Vexing Devil would be great if it wasn't $10 a card. XD Monastery Swiftspear is good too, both those cards look like good one-drops for the build.

I strongly dislike the design of Siege Rhino, and cards of its ilk. It's so plain and efficient. Nothing interesting happens with Siege Rhino.

ElyrionX

Guy uses "Robots" instead of Affinity, can't trust anything he says.

That said, I'm glad we have Khan names, because if I ever have to hear a WBG deck called "Whiterock" or a BUG deck called "Rock with Blue" in coverage again, i'd probably jump off a tall building

I an glad we have Khans names as well but the people in the goddamn community (especially Modern) need to move away from the old names. Like Junk. Fuck Junk. It's called Abzan.

The Alara names are a bit more generic-sounding than the Khans ones, which makes them a bit more palatable. But in general I find the practice of naming eternal colour combinations with clan names from a relatively-fleeting block sort of silly.

Hero

Birthing Pod was always at risk of getting banned. Green Sun's Zenith got banned for being too efficient and Pod is better most of the time and even more ridiculous when the entire deck is built around it.

ElyrionX

The Alara names are a bit more generic-sounding than the Khans ones, which makes them a bit more palatable. But in general I find the practice of naming eternal colour combinations with clan names from a relatively-fleeting block sort of silly.

As opposed to naming them with generic irrelevant terms that casual or new players have difficulty understanding?

red13th

Maybe some butthurt over the bannings but i think its interesting...
http://themeadery.org/articles/ban-list-blues

"Wizards took a format that was varied and healthy, and cut the head off of it in the most literal way possible."

wtf

his fear is legitimate though, I'd be worried of buying into Modern to be met with a ban. in fact it's one of the reasons I'm making a Modern Cube instead of playing it competitively. :p
although I'm getting married in September and there's a LGS with Modern FNMs three blocks away from where I'll live. tempted to build a deck!

Maybe some butthurt over the bannings but i think its interesting...
http://themeadery.org/articles/ban-list-blues

This article and his previous one make basically zero sense. His analysis is silly - jamming SCG IQs and Grand Prix top 16 decks together into one data pool is ridiculous on its face. Then he claims that Pod doesn't deserve a banning a few paragraphs after he arbitrarily dismisses Pod's over-performance at the GP level because there "isn't enough data." In one of his articles he says that Delver pushes Pod from the top spot, and in another article he says that Pod preys on Delver. His entire article series just seems like he's trying to rationalize making the format look like what he wants, and his Modern is antithetical to the way that Modern has been curated to this point.

My only issue with the Pod ban, which is something I hadn't considered until recently, is that they took so long to ban it. It had been flirting with being oppressive in the format for a very long time, and I think Wizards was reticent to ban it because it was an exciting and skill testing card that gave Modern a unique identity. But it kind of gave the impression that Pod was invulnerable to bans because it had survived for so long. People were spending money for that deck, and a not-insignificant number of players feel cheated now. That doesn't mean that Pod shouldn't have been banned, just that it should have long ago.

Here's the thing about Modern: there have been very, very few bans in Modern that were unexpected. If you actually take time to process how Wizards is curating the format and you make yourself think like they do, it's not that hard to predict what's going to happen with a pretty high level of uncertainty. Pod was an anomaly for the reason I outlined above - they took so long to ban it that it "felt" safe even though it was clearly antithetical to the Modern banned list philosophy.

Patrick Sullivan said it best on Cedrics's last podcast - if you want a format where you get to do crazy busted stuff, that format is Legacy, not Modern. Modern has a different identity, and while the card pool could support making a crazy powerful format with a different banned list philosophy, that is so obviously not what Wizards is trying to do that it's silly to keep arguing about it.

Kerrinck

Yeah, taking so long to ban was a bit of a blow to pod players. So many in my area were in the process of foiling the deck that I feel kinda bad for them.

ironmang

I an glad we have Khans names as well but the people in the goddamn community (especially Modern) need to move away from the old names. Like Junk. Fuck Junk. It's called Abzan.

Ya I'm never calling them by the new names. Temur Delver? Sultai Delver? LOL

Watch out, Jeskai Miracles might knock you out of the tournament!

Ya I'm never calling them by the new names. Temur Delver? Sultai Delver? LOL

Watch out, Jeskai Miracles might knock you out of the tournament!
Jeskai Miracles only bothers me because nobody ever really qualified it with colors before and it's not even a real jeskai deck. There's like two red cards, in the sideboard.

bigkrev

My 2 big problems with the clan names replacing stuff:

• 2 years from now, they are just going to confuse the hell out of newer players
    People who weren't playing as recently as 2011-2012 probably have no idea of the shard names, because at that point Shards was no longer a legal set. 2 years from now, unless we get a "Return to Khans" that quickly, no newer player is going to know what these terms mean
  • There is precident for ignoring them
    WOTC uses "U/B control" instead of "Dimir Control", for example. ESPECIALLY in the case of RUG and BUG, the names they have are far more descriptive of the deck than "Temur" and "Sultai".

Every game or sport has terms that are thrown around with frequency that don't really mean anything and confusing (What is Tommy John surgery? What are Bird rights? ect). We accept them because they have been used for a long time, and a simple Google search or asking a more experienced fan will provide the answer. Why can't Magic have these as well?

Socat

Kinda torn as to what to play this week in a Modern tournament. I can either run this Phyrexian Zoo list:
Maindeck:

Creatures
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Wild Nacatl

Enchantment Creatures
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mutagenic Growth

Sorceries
3 Gitaxian Probe

Basic Lands
1 Forest
1 Mountain

Lands
4 Arid Mesa
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
2 Torpor Orb
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Stony Silence
3 Destructive Revelry
2 Dismember
2 Gut Shot
2 Volcanic Fallout

or this Temur Delver list, which I am still working on, such as finding a replacement for flame slash and adding more forked bolt, depending on how much delver still shows up from now on:

Maindeck:

Creatures
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf

Instants
3 Izzet Charm
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Mana Leak
2 Spell Pierce
2 Dispel
4 Remand

Sorceries
1 Forked Bolt
2 Flame Slash
3 Gitaxian Probe
4 Serum Visions

Basic Lands
2 Island
1 Mountain

Lands
1 Breeding Pool
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Sulfur Falls
2 Wooded Foothills

ultron87

My 2 big problems with the clan names replacing stuff:

• 2 years from now, they are just going to confuse the hell out of newer players
    People who weren't playing as recently as 2011-2012 probably have no idea of the shard names, because at that point Shards was no longer a legal set. 2 years from now, unless we get a "Return to Khans" that quickly, no newer player is going to know what these terms mean
I don't see anyone getting confused by the Shard names, even many years later. They get used all the time in coverage, articles, and just in conversation at an FNM. This is mostly because "Black Red Green" is annoying to say a lot. Someone new asks once "Jund? What's that?" and then they're good. I don't see how the clan names will be any more confusing than those.

• There is precident for ignoring them
    WOTC uses "U/B control" instead of "Dimir Control", for example. ESPECIALLY in the case of RUG and BUG, the names they have are far more descriptive of the deck than "Temur" and "Sultai".

I don't think you can really use the two color combos as evidence for the three color ones. "Blue Black" is easy to say. "Blue Black White" gets clunky and that's why we always say "Esper".

I don't really mind BUG, but it could be confusing. It requires knowing the U means blue, and could be misinterpreted ("oh it uses bug cards?"). Junk is more obscure and obnoxious. There was a definitely a point early in my playing days where I thought it just meant a deck of bad cards that still worked. The benefit of switching to "Temur" et al is that it stands out as a unique term and someone can quickly look that up or ask about it and know it.

I don't think confusion about the source of the shard and wedge names is going to be an issue, considering that there are entire sets to point to and even card names. A player can go, "What is Bant?" then see, "Oh, Bant was a white-blue-green society in the Shards of Alara block, and here are a bunch of examples of Bant cards. Now I know what sort of cards to imagine when thinking of Bant. Oh, and that's also why they're called shards, huh?"

In contrast, you have Junk or Whiterock, where a player goes, "Oh, so it's called Junk because apparently there were junk cards in those colors and someone decided to make a deck out of them anyway... what colors were those again? Oh right, black-green-white. Was that really such a momentous occasion that every deck with those colors had to be called Junk? Huh, I notice that three of the cards that are all of those colors have the name 'Abzan' in them. I wonder what's up with that. Anyway, Whiterock is... the same as Junk, and Rock is a completely different green-black deck. That's pretty dumb."

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I don't see anyone getting confused by the Shard names, even many years later. They get used all the time in coverage, articles, and just in conversation at an FNM. This is mostly because "Black Red Green" is annoying to say a lot. Someone new asks once "Jund? What's that?" and then they're good. I don't see how the clan names will be any more confusing than those.

I've been playing for almost two years now and I still can't keep the shard names straight... I mean, I know I could take five minutes to Google them and memorize them, but I think that's sort of bigkrev's point.

The real truth is that all of the names are super stupid and it all doesn't really matter. Say whatever you want.

Except Robots. Anyone who tries to call Affinity "Robots" doesn't deserve to play the game anymore.

ultron87

I've been playing for almost two years now and I still can't keep the shard names straight... I mean, I know I could take five minutes to Google them and memorize them, but I think that's sort of bigkrev's point.

Right. But calling something "Junk" really isn't any better for that, and can easily be interpreted to mean not even a color combination.

Except Robots. Anyone who tries to call Affinity "Robots" doesn't deserve to play the game anymore.

Yes. They're right up there with Lands in Front monsters (with slight exception for Lands decks and Scapeshift).

Yes. They're right up there with Lands in Front monsters (with slight exception for Lands decks and Scapeshift).

That was just the way everyone did it back in the mid to late 90s. I stopped doing it eventually because people complained, but I still want to put my lands in front and I don't blame people who still do.

I still have Twin sleeved up and can go to about any variation of UWR but Jund/Junk still turns me on so much.

My babies...

15-0121-Hoogland.png

I still only play with Goyf proxies :(

MjFrancis

The real truth is that all of the names are super stupid and it all doesn't really matter. Say whatever you want.
"Running Modern Junk without Bob at a LGS FNM?"

That's gibberish to a new player. Maybe even to one that has played for a while that doesn't read about the game online and/or only gets cards at a Wal-Mart. MtG lexicon is funny like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom