• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
kirby is definitely the most hate filled guy here. Breh, you need to cleanse your chi, find you balance, eat some BBQ ribs and purify your soul. Too much negativity hurts the essence of being.

kirby is definitely the most hate filled guy here. Breh, you need to cleanse your chi, find you balance, eat some BBQ ribs and purify your soul. Too much negativity hurts the essence of being.

I say the opposite. He needs to enhance it. Pull out the Nicol Bolas in him. Let that hate fuel you and start running the most hated decks just to make your opponents suffer the same hate you have.

kirblar

Cedric just consistently has awful opinions that make me think less of him as a person each time they're aired. (See: The Esper Charm situation and pretty much anything related to Organized Play.)

edit: Here

bigkrev

Cedric just consistently has awful opinions that make me think less of him as a person each time they're aired. (See: The Esper Charm situation and pretty much anything related to Organized Play.)

edit: Here

To those who call Alex Bertoncini a cheater give it a rest. Chances are he might just be good at playing Magic: the Gathering. Or he is cheating his way to the top of the SCG Player of the Year race in front of the same judges and GGSLive camera on a weekly basis.

Yeah... It's certainly one of those two things.

It certainly was one of those two things!

I have no idea what level a tournament that Esper Charm thing was in, but if it was the level of an SGC IQ or something, and we were both 4-0, I probably would call a judge on my opponent if he actually used the word "target" multiple times, even after I gave him multiple chances to take it back like he described. Patrick Chapin once wrote about a game he won where he cast Profane Command for a very high total (more than the creatures he had out), and said "Give fear to all my legal targets", and then won because his opponent thought that Chameleon Colossus (which has pro black and is not a legal target) had fear. I wouldn't find that scummy, for example.

kirblar

It certainly was one of those two things!
It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

The Esper Charm thing is a clear case of "intent obvious" - the Chapin thing is fine, I've gone "Bolt You" firmly while people have Chalice in Play, and they don't counter it- same general realm.r

I actually agree with almost everything he says in that article. Obviously, the Bertoncini thing is pretty funny, but hindsight is funny that way.

Basically, rules are rules, play-to-win, etc. He contradicts himself and admits it.. what's the problem?

352jnj.jpg

Unfortunately I'm not this guy, made of money.

MONEY-BOAT-web-image-blog.jpg

But I'll be right there with the next reprint!!!

Yeah, I completely agree with Cedric on the Esper Charm thing. If story happened exactly as he told it, then what he did was completely fine and I have zero issues with it. The Mindbreak Trap thing is harder for me to process because I don't know what the trigger rules were at the time; today, I don't think that play can actually happen with the current rules.

Regarding Bertoncini - he fooled a lot of people back then. It would be silly to hold that opinion against Cedric.

Randomly, I'd like to see a card like this be made:

Dodge - 1R
Instant
Change one or more targets of a spell that targets a creature you control to another target creature you control.
Draw a card.

Largely because I'd like to see art of a guy with a sword doing a minimal movement to the side to dodge a lightning attack, only for it to strike the guy behind him.

Also, this might be an interesting variation on wishes.

Chaotic Wish - R
Sorcery
You may choose a card you own from your sideboard at random, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. Exile Chaotic Wish.

ultron87

They can have a bit more randomness as long as they don't do:

Piss you off Bolt R

Instant

Flip a coin. If you win the flip do 3 damage to target creature or player. Otherwise, do 2 damage to that creature or player.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's either the coin flip or fractions.

And no one wants to see fractions.

Planar Chaos was a thing. Goblin Test Pilot is a more recent thing. They'll do random when they want, but I doubt they want it to be good.

My favorite coinflipping card is Mana Screw. I love that it exists, such as it is.

ultron87

There would be no point to that. If its the only card in your sideboard and the wish puts it in your hand you could just replace it in your deck with the card you want

Well you could have 7 of the card in your deck with 4 tutors + 3 of the card + 1 in your sideboard. It's like the original version of the Ascendancy deck had with Glittering Wish.

kirblar

So, I was in Target this evening, and saw they had Fate Reforged for sale. I bought 4 packs, and to my surprise, they rang up at 4.19. Might mean an MSRP increase?
There was a cost increase w/o an MSRP increase. I've seen them above 4 bucks at various retailers on occasion.

ElyrionX

The real truth is that all of the names are super stupid and it all doesn't really matter. Say whatever you want.

Except Robots. Anyone who tries to call Affinity "Robots" doesn't deserve to play the game anymore.

Except that Affinity decks these days don't really have affinity cards in them which makes it confusing. They should just be called Artifact decks.

But at least Affinity makes some sense because that word actually exists as a keyword on the actual cards that were used in that deck. Unlike "junk". Fuck junk.

Is Abzan really a better name than Junk?

Junk is a terrible name.

People who weren't playing as recently as 2011-2012 probably have no idea of the shard names

This is not a real problem. The absolute worst-case scenario for a "Naya" deck or whatever is that a new player sees it, has no idea what it means, and Googles it -- except that unlike "Junk," the result they get from that search will actually tell them what it means and why.

Why can't Magic have these as well?

It's not like people are gonna stop saying "durdling" or calling decks things like "Death and Taxes" or "Full English Breakfast" any time soon.

Arksy

Holy crap!

The store I work at didn't get as lucky, only 2 fetch lands in the one box we open.

Hope my free box is the lucky one :p

I was at my LGS all night, everyone that opened a box got two. It's almost as if it wasn't random at all. Over ten booster boxes torn apart, we all compared. We all got two.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I wish they printed a nonfoil Rebecca Guay's Path to Exile.

so much better than the cat dude being unmade.

It's basically the best card art ever, so, yeah agreed.

I missed the jargon talk, but my two cents is that Jeskai and Bant are both made up words. Bant only doesn't sound weird because you're used to it by now. New players will be equally confused - I know I sure as hell didn't know what a Naya was when I came back to the game. We'll adjust to the new names, just like my fellow olds adjusted to calling things Esper, Bant, etc. Or, maybe WotC and SCG won't bother to push them after rotation and they'll be forgotten. But Junk is no more an easily understood name than Abzan, and UWR isn't pronounceable, so I think it'd be great if they continued to push them.

Socat

Junk is an awful name, I much prefer the shard or khan names, or ravnica guild names. The only case where I have preferred names using the colors is U/R Delver

Firemind

Junk is a terrible name but so is Team America. Shard/clan names don't make sense either in some cases. Azorius Heroic for example. That'd be like naming a deck Jund Zoo. Jund is synonymous for midrange. I think I remember there was a time where Bant Control, Bant Midrange and Bant Aggro were a thing. They completely lack any sort of identity. I don't really have a solution for this besides letting the original deck creator have free reign and if it catches on, it catches on.

U/W Miracles is an example of a good name. It shows information about the colour, uses a word that aptly describes the deck and has an own identity.

ultron87

A good deck name is Color Combo + Archetype/Strategy. In established formats it is definitely possible that you can just say the color combo if there is typically one viable way to build the deck from those colors, but with a lot of colors that isn't the case. It makes total sense for there to be Abzan Midrange and Abzan Aggro as two separate decks even though they share some cards. Or in Modern you can have Jeskai Geist, Jeskai Control or Jeskai Twin. Those are all intelligible names.

bigkrev

Huh yeah, they directly address the Hedron thing.

I'm not following the story, but is Tarkir actually Zendikar in an alternate timeline? That was what I selected in the Godbook survey because I'm not really sure.

BTW, there is a #FourMTGCards thing going on Twitter right now. These were my picks
Image.ashx

My first rare
Image.ashx

The card that led me to actually winning a store tourney for the first time
Image.ashx

My favorite card of all time, representing my favorite strategy of all time
Image.ashx

The card that got me back into Magic after a long absence

bigkrev

how does that #FourMTGCards work? I started playing 20 years ago, I have no idea what was my first rare. I didn't even know about rarities, I was 9.

Cool, do they always do this? First one I've taken part.

You just pick 4 cards that mean something to you

You don't remember any of the cards that were in your first pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom