• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

The first rare with a symbol I remember owning was that shitty white archangel from one of the starter sets. That was about the time I started switching from pokemon to mtg for a couple years until I quit for a decade.

bigkrev

I got packs of 4th edition as my first cards, first pack had Gaea's Liege, and second pack had a far less exciting Land Tax in it.

Firemind

I think my first rare was a portal card. :lol

Four cards that mean something to me:
Grim Monolith: My first money rare. Traded it for a Charizard. :lol
Blastoderm: Part of my first decks that were actually winning games in tournaments (G/B Masques Block and G/R Fires).
Mana Leak: The main reason Grixis Hits went from merely decent to winning a PTQ.
Pyromancer Ascension: Made my crazy run at nationals possible. Also won a few GPTs and Game Days with crazy ascension brews.

red13th

I'm pretty sure my first "pack" was one of the old starter decks that had 60 random cards, I don't remember what was in them.
I guess I have a bunch of favourites so here's my four.

216.jpg

(favourite Modern card)

250.jpg

(favourite Eternal card)

77.jpg

(favourite artwork)

230.jpg

(favourite land artwork)

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Just came back from a silly 3xFRF release draft, my first draft experience ever. There were only a dozen people and I managed to get into first place with a silly Rakdos ( I'll just use the Guild / Clan / Shard names, thank you! ;-) ) deck.
I started off just picking whatever card was best, but quickly went with Rakdos after I received a foil Flamewake Phoenix from the player next to me ( He picked Dromoka, the Eternal for a deck he was building for Standard ), picked up an Orc Sureshot and noticed that two Typhoid Rats had made it all the way around the table to me without anyone picking them. I ended up with five Typhoid Rats and two Orc Sureshot, and all four Bloodfell Caves made it all the way around the table and back to me. I lost my first game due to not getting my Swamps in time, so I switched out a Mardu Scout and two Mountains for a Battle Brawler and two Swamps.

The Typhoid Rats en Sultai Emissaries deterred my opponents from attacking me and Orc Sureshot killed quite a few creatures for me. Flamewake Phoenix performed great and did not get removed in any of my games, and if he had been, I could've brought him back with an Orc Sureshot up. The two Mardu Shadowspears slowly and steadily chipped away at my opponents' life. I had plenty of removal available at all times and was able to overwhelm my opponents with early board presence. My two 'expensive' bombs were Soulflayer and Shockmaw Dragon, which I unfortunately didn't get to play due to just not drawing them. Goblin Heelcutter got my opponents down quick and worked nicely with Orc Sureshot, and my one-off Mardu Runemark made any of my Typhoid Rats into a big threat.

I had a ton of fun and ended up 3-0 ( 2-1 / 2-0 / 2-0 ).

I'm not following the story, but is Tarkir actually Zendikar in an alternate timeline? That was what I selected in the Godbook survey because I'm not really sure.
No, Tarkir is not Zendikar. The Zendikar block and Khans of Tarkir set take place within a few years of each other at most, and Sarkhan visited both planes, for one thing, not to mention that both planes are completely different.
I was totally going to post that poll question and point out how silly that option was until you made this post.

Cool, do they always do this? First one I've taken part.
They only started posting them in the same place as the articles starting with Theros block, I believe, but yeah, they always do this. It's a big component of how they get customer data for the sets, after all.

ultron87

Really no idea what my first rare was. I think it would've been out of a 4th Edition pack or starter when I was 7. That said, for four cards:

Image.ashx

Favorite card as a kid. Still has a prize position in my binder despite being a Chronicles copy worth 50 cents.

Image.ashx

Favorite card now.

Image.ashx

Kill condition in the first deck I played in tournaments that felt like a "good" deck. First one I won an FNM with. It was the UW Flash Control deck from Innistrad/RtR standard.

Image.ashx

Key part of my favorite winning play I've made. Was just a simple thing of giving first strike to kill someone before lifelink got them out of lethal range, but it felt real good and it was stealing a match in a bad match up.

Four cards seems fun.

32.jpg
47.jpg
102.jpg
213.jpg

(First serious competitive deck, first pointlessly over-elaborate combo deck, SUPER SECRET SPECIAL ORIGIN of my username, best card from the best guild in the best set that got me playing again.)

Junk is a terrible name but so is Team America.

No argument there.

I'm not following the story, but is Tarkir actually Zendikar in an alternate timeline? That was what I selected in the Godbook survey because I'm not really sure.

I really enjoy that they're doing a Back-to-the-Future thing with this block, so I am sad in advance that this survey is going to give them a giant pile of responses that say "I have no idea what's going on in the story here."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(First serious competitive deck, first pointlessly over-elaborate combo deck, SUPER SECRET SPECIAL ORIGIN of my username, best card from the best guild in the best set that got me playing again.)

WHAT an origin story.

Since we're doing origin stories, here's mine:
A few of you might remember that my handle here used to be Halycon, which was a (accidentally) mispelling of Halcyon, which I took from this card that I was running in my casual Ravnica deck at the time.

Firemind

I'm still waiting for a card named after me. ;-;

Also, I never knew Chaos Harlequin even existed as a card. And I cracked a lot of Alliances packs hoping to find Force of Wills.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

First card to inspire a real deck, as in one that wasn't just making the best of what I had. It was combined with Chandra's Spitfire, once I figured out what noncombat damage was. I still have a variation of this deck.
First mythic rare I pulled from a booster pack (so disappoint). First mythic I got (which I bought) was Furyborn Hellkite to tie in with my pinger deck.
First previewed card to make me go "oh shit, that'd be perfect in my deck, I need it!"
Out of the cards that are are still to expensive for me to bother buying, this is the one I most want to build a deck out of.

My first rare:

Image.ashx

The first card that really helped me win sanctioned games (midwest regionals 1997 for the record):

Image.ashx

The card I played the most when I was really getting a handle on deckbuilding:

Image.ashx

This next one is cheating, because it's not a real card, but it's the card in the set I'm designing that really helped me find the set's identity.

d65b01f5-fe8d-4d3b-9a25-479f026e42e1_zpsyyqrtzqi.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Image.ashx

So the first cards I ever bought were the Snake deck from Champions of Kamigawa. I didn't know anyone else who played back then, and looking up how to play on the internet didn't even occur to me, so the deck sat on my shelf unused for a year until I entered high-school and met other players. But I would still take the cards down every now and then and flip through them, and this is the one that grabbed me the most. I had just enough familiarity with other games to have a sense of what it did, but there were parts of it that were still perplexing to me (hello XX) and it compelled me to find other players.

Image.ashx

This is the card that broke Magic wide open for me. I came to Magic from other, frankly more linear games like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon, and the gradually escalating understanding of just how many ways Doubling Season could create insane interactions completely sucked me in. The interaction with Selesnya and Simic in that block was obvious, but charge counters? Doubling Season + Energy Chamber + Orochi Hatchery was my first real attempt at trying to do something broken with large numbers

Image.ashx

This is central to probably my favorite Magic story still. It was a straight up triple Zendikar draft. My opponent was piloting some B/G thing, I was in U/W, and we had essentially stalemated. Neither of us could break through, we were just killing turns and drawing out our decks hoping for some answer. Suddenly, in his B/G deck with no blue sources, he topdecks Archive Trap, which he had included on the off-chance that he would be able to play it for free. But he draws it, and hard casts it, and mills me out and wins the game. How did he hard cast it? Because I had given him two islands with Spreading Seas earlier in the game

Image.ashx

I really struggled to think of a fourth card, but when I reflect a bit I think that this card has probably created the most multiplayer fun with my group in the last several years, and I forsee that being true for the near future as well. This is just a really slick, really fun design.

Haly

"Old man yells at hyperefficient removal resistant creatures."

Wichu

241.jpg

The card I decided to build my first deck around. Snake tribal FTW!

117.jpg

The most ridiculous commander (it should be legendary dammit!). I've spent way too much time coming up with new ways to abuse the crap out of it.

192.jpg

The card my brother gave me as an incentive to get into the game. It worked :p

98.jpg

See avatar. Only the most powerful being alive. This version in particular is my current commander - sure, he's slow, but games tend to end soon after he hits the board.

Yes, I play Commander a lot. Other cards that could go on the list are Lux Cannon (I traded my first mythic, Liliana of the Veil, for a Lux Cannon, a Sword of Feast and Famine, and a bunch of other rares), Possibility Storm (so awesome), and Phenax, God of Deception (most badass God and wincon of my current Standard deck).

kirblar

Force of Nature-First card I fell in love with
Questing Pheladdagrif- cause he's awesome
Aluren-first PTQ T8
Fauna Shaman-First PTQ win

Honorable mention: Birthing Pod for getting me two SCG T8s.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Let me guess: God's Beard won every tournament in the last month.

Also, I just got an Ugin and a Flooded Strand in the same pack. I think I actually have a full playset of all the fetches in KTK just based on opening a lot of random packs and buying up the ones I needed for various decks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yay Grimmace is back!

Yeah, it means I didn't get to talk about my prerelease where I got Sage Eye Avengers, Torrent Elemental, Yasova Dragonclaw, Arcbond, Supplant Form and Crater's Claws as my rares in a Temur pack. I somehow lost a round to some dude who had that annoying white manifest factory enchantment.

Firemind

Yeah, it means I didn't get to talk about my prerelease where I got Sage Eye Avengers, Torrent Elemental, Yasova Dragonclaw, Arcbond, Supplant Form and Crater's Claws as my rares in a Temur pack. I somehow lost a round to some dude who had that annoying white manifest factory enchantment.
scrub do you even magic?

kirblar

I got the impression it was money based too since he gets financial support from esports types for Hearthstone streaming that he doesn't when he streams MODO.
More viewers, more $, but way shittier because HS is so much less fun.

I do admire his ability to keep up the happy face. I can't do that.

Haly

It's alive, and the new kickstarted version just entered Beta on Steam a few weeks ago.

He's (still?) a top player in the physical game, so MODO does almost nothing for him as pro gamer, whereas Hearthstone probably provides a nice steady income as well as potential for growth with increased exposure through tournaments and whatnot.

Maledict

Well, he did help in designing Ascension which I do like. Is it dead? Wiki isn't much help.

Side tangent, but the latest set for Ascension (realms unravelled) is the best one they have made in ages. Apparently the physical version has an utterly broken enlightened card in it, but that was replaced in the Ipad version and I find myself playing it daily. Love that game!

Well, he did help in designing Ascension which I do like. Is it dead? Wiki isn't much help.

They just reprinted the "core" game set a couple weeks ago with brand-new art and updated card faces, so it's doing pretty well!

Side tangent, but the latest set for Ascension (realms unravelled) is the best one they have made in ages.

By a huge margin. Ascension's always been a fun game, but Realms is full of cards with much more interesting interactions, and just generally more enjoyable cards in general. I've played a looooooot of it.

Apparently the physical version has an utterly broken enlightened card in it, but that was replaced in the Ipad version and I find myself playing it daily. Love that game!

The online version is still pretty broken:

Multi-unite is a super fun mechanic but it's just absurdly busted.

The best rare in the format.

The best part of the MTGO beta is the amazing decks you get to build out of the craziest "packs" ever. The worst is that sometimes it doesn't work right, and you only get to play one match (after all, you're expected to be a tester, not to just play free Magic). But sometimes you get sweet stuff to toy with. I just got to play a deck with Survival, Genesis, Living Death, Soulfire Grand Master, Archangel of Thune, Mana Vault, Crux of Fate, Goblin Heelcutter, and some assorted dragons and removal. Plus four Vivids and three trilands to make sure everything works.

The best part of the MTGO beta is the amazing decks you get to build out of the craziest "packs" ever. The worst is that sometimes it doesn't work right, and you only get to play one match (after all, you're expected to be a tester, not to just play free Magic). But sometimes you get sweet stuff to toy with. I just got to play a deck with Survival, Genesis, Living Death, Soulfire Grand Master, Archangel of Thune, Mana Vault, Crux of Fate, Goblin Heelcutter, and some assorted dragons and removal. Plus four Vivids and three trilands to make sure everything works.

Beta pack drafts were literally the greatest thing ever. Haven't been in one in several years, though. I miss it.

Abzan Aggro with -2 Rakshasa Deathdealer, -1 Bile Blight, -1 Wingmate Roc (I own only 3), and -1 Abzan Charm made room for 2 Sorin and 3 Tasigur. I got to activate Tasigur 5 times tonight. It was usually as he was being killed because my opponents went after him immediately. I didn't once get something bad from him. I got, as I recall, a Thoughtseize, a Rhino, a Hero's Downfall, a Sorin, and the worst of the night, a Rakshasa Deathdealer. I was holding up for removal a once he came out and just EOT'd his activations two of those times. I like the card, it seems playable. I'll report more back once I've hit a gauntlet of UB Control at the PPTQ tomorrow morning. Our local tryhard meta is FULL of that deck, it's sickening (I'm only missing my Ugin for mine).

Sorry (no results). Our FNMs aren't as big as GB's and tonight was particularly small. Four rounds. Didn't drop a single game all night, even the extra ones we played between rounds. I'm currently without any substantial money, so winning packs is my only way to get the new cards.

With that said, anyone want to trade for some Brimaz? I have 3 and I'm looking to move them for FRF staples.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";148890899]Hey Grimace I won FNM with my new Sidisi Whip deck :3[/QUOTE]

I bet that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom