• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgjackson

I've never tried grid because I'm not a fan of visible picks, but pancake definitely seems very good. I like the part where you trash cards from the boosters to somewhat simulate a more-than-2-people draft, and makes hate drafting way easier

the person i'm doing this with is a much more casual magic player than i've been in the past, and what attracts me to grid is they can see my picks and learn from my thought process as we play. the endgame for me is definitely sticking to pancake, theoretically.

sgjackson

I don't know much about Pauper/Peasant so I won't comment on card choices, but that seems like a lot of gold cards, and it's colour unbalanced which also bugs me (but that's cube OCD speaking).

i'll probably fiddle with gold card numbers somewhat - maybe use more hybrid. color imbalance rn has to do with some of the cards i considered to be gold (stuff with activated abilities like frilled oculus/off-color flashback like feeling of dread) or colorless (phyrexian mana) showing up as their color's cards and not in the gold/colorless sections - i'll probably see if i can move stuff around to fix that.

red13th

i'll probably fiddle with gold card numbers somewhat - maybe use more hybrid. color imbalance rn has to do with some of the cards i considered to be gold (stuff with activated abilities like frilled oculus/off-color flashback like feeling of dread) or colorless (phyrexian mana) showing up as their color's cards and not in the gold/colorless sections - i'll probably see if i can move stuff around to fix that.

I see. C/Ubes have worse fixing without fetches, shocklands or basically any dual land cycle but since your cube is slower the multicolour theme could work. You should drastically lower CC casting costs but I didn't check how many of those were in your cube!

sgjackson

I see. C/Ubes have worse fixing without fetches, shocklands or basically any dual land cycle but since your cube is slower the multicolour theme could work. You should drastically lower CC casting costs but I didn't check how many of those were in your cube!

yeah i mentioned earlier that 2-player drafting leads to a bit more randomness, so rather than focusing on aggro or combo i tried to build a something a little slower with a stronger multicolor theme to keep it interesting/somewhat complex.

i tweaked the numbers of cards to get everything at 30 and used the extra two spots that opened up to add two more multicolor mana rocks. i sort of like the idea of having a bit heavier multicolor theme and i'd be more inclined to add fixing to support that, so if you have suggestions along those lines (or can explain to me why this is a terrible idea) i'm all ears.

Random thought. Would an effect like "CARDNAME has hexproof as long as it is a target of a spell or ability you control" work? The intention is that if you target it with an aura spell or something, the creature can't be destroyed by a spell in response, but it can be after the aura is put on.

Citadel Siege is brutal to play against in draft. Either you draw your disruption or you lose.
I lost.

The one weakness of Khans draft was the power level of rares vs commons, but fate reforged just made it worse. I've done more than 20 limited events with FRF now and it's just not as good. The colors are more imbalanced now, and the best pairings in FRF don't lead anywhere in KTK.

That feel when you open your FRF pack in draft and the rare is Crucible of the Spirit Dragon.

I've had to first pick sandblast before. Feels so bad. FRF in general is way higher variance than KTK. Remember when it took forever for reviewers to find a bad limited card in KTK? Yeah, it's every other card in FRF. When Jeskai Runemark is your best option at 5th pick, something's very strange.

Random thought. Would an effect like "CARDNAME has hexproof as long as it is a target of a spell or ability you control" work? The intention is that if you target it with an aura spell or something, the creature can't be destroyed by a spell in response, but it can be after the aura is put on.

I'm pretty sure that wording works fine.

Lucario

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150749420]The one weakness of Khans draft was the power level of rares vs commons, but fate reforged just made it worse. I've done more than 20 limited events with FRF now and it's just not as good. The colors are more imbalanced now, and the best pairings in FRF don't lead anywhere in KTK.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of sad to hear. I'll be sure to post my impressions once I'm up to 20-30 drafts.

EYEL1NER

I didn't think I was going to really delve too deep into Fate Reforged anytime soon. I figured I would keep buying Khans stuff and then I also got that massive sealed 2015 shipment in that I posted about before, so that had a lot of my attention. Just thought I was going to pick up the Fate intro packs and be done until I could make it home again, since I might be in the country when Dragons drops. Those Fate fat packs have been hovering around $32.50 on Amazon for so long that I finally caved and bought one though. I've spent a week with a couple of them in my cart and have been watching the prices fluctuate up a little bit and then back down and then back up. I got tired of saying "$32 is a great price but I don't know if I need a fat pack right now" and instead just started saying "$32 is a great price and I will regret it if they shoot up to $40 and I didn't buy one."

ultron87

It would work but I think it is pretty narrow. In most cases a blowout in response to a spell is still going to be a blowout after the thing resolves. It really just wrecks red removal spells vs toughness boosting things.

Also, a static effect that changes based on stuff on the stack is a really complex ability so I'm not sure it gives benefits worth that complexity. I expect a card like that would just end up with normal Hexproof at the end of the day.

That's kind of sad to hear. I'll be sure to post my impressions once I'm up to 20-30 drafts.

After our team beat the CFB B-team, we were chatting with them and Wrapter said, "They just don't make the rares beatable anymore."

Even Paul Cheon was talking on CFB's youtube channel about how sad you'd be if you didn't get a good FRF rare.

Wait, what? Why would you want that? For a cycle of auras with some secondary ETB ability like Raised by Wolves?

Isn't this guy fine?

193968_1gnzhj.jpg

Firemind

Crucible could be constructed playable depending on Dragons of Tarkir. Playing a dragon without tapping out seems good. Or better yet, two dragons. The dragon has to be busted though.

As far as limited goes, I like Fate Reforged so far. I opened like 4 Daghatars, which is an okay rare. Dat feel tho when you get passed Crux of Fate. I don't even know what the dude next to me could take over a wrath.

ultron87

They can't snipe your Rancors with that wording, I suppose. Though that means you're putting it on a non hexproof creature like a weirdo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That feel when you open your FRF pack in draft and the rare is Crucible of the Spirit Dragon.

Being worse than the average storage land makes me wonder why it couldn't be uncommon. Oh wait, because then people would have to see it more often.

It's triggered, so functionally it doesn't do what he wanted it to do.

What he wanted it to do is way easier to do by just saying it has hexproof during your main phase.

I know it's a scary idea for a lot of people, but why not just, you know, give a creature hexproof? All these weird half-measures just make it confusing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150772214]I know it's a scary idea for a lot of people, but why not just, you know, give a creature hexproof? All these weird half-measures just make it confusing.[/QUOTE]

Hexproof is fine. Just give us good board wipes, or sac spells back. I would ask for new modern playable counters, but lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hexproof is fine. Just give us good board wipes, or sac spells back. I would ask for new modern playable counters, but lol.

As a person playing lots of weenies/tokens, the board wipe capabilities don't feel that much worse than they used to because of the prevalence of weeniewipes like Drown or Anger.

Angry Grimace

I'm gonna laugh when they make an instant that says "all your dudes are dragons" just to fuck Crux of Fate.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150775868]2UU
Delve
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2.
Draw a card.[/QUOTE]
I actually don't hate this, it just needs to cost at least two more mana.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150775868]2UU
Delve
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2.
Draw a card.[/QUOTE]

It would need to cost more, especially for that bullshit cantrip.

Joe Molotov

I'm gonna laugh when they make an instant that says "all your dudes are dragons" just to fuck Crux of Fate.

Breakfast Nook of the Spirit Dragon
Land
Tap to add (1) to your mana pool.
Tap to make all your dudes dragons
Tap to add (8) to your mana pool. This mana can only be used to cast Ugin, the Spirit Dragon.

Crocodile

I feel two color decks are a lot more viable with FRF than before which is something I appreciate. I will agree though that card quality is more variable and the set has a LOT of unbeatable limited bombs at rare.

That's a lot of loopholes for what essentially boils down to "don't make another Invisible Stalker" LOL. Hexproof is a non-issue as long as development does their job. Which, with regards to this issue, they have been.

I'm one of those crazies that didn't like triple KTK. I don't think FRF is going to make it any better, although it does kinda fix my main issue with triple KTK (the "every game has a morph on turn 3 that flips up on turn 5" problem).

Angry Grimace

There actually is a card like this from Dragon's Maze, called Dragonshift :p

Dragonshift is a Izzet colored card that cost like a billion to make all your dudes into dragons though. Its also an overload card, so that can't come back. I once had a manifested Stormbreath in a game against a UB Control deck and I was really hoping to flip in response.

I'm one of those crazies that didn't like triple KTK. I don't think FRF is going to make it any better, although it does kinda fix my main issue with triple KTK (the "every game has a morph on turn 3 that flips up on turn 5" problem).

FRF makes the drafting strategy easier at least since there's virtually no pressure to make a stupid durdly 4 color monstrosity - I hate hate hate colors crew and nothing is going to piss me off more than encouraging it. I already hate that about standard Khans, I don't need it in drafting where you get color fucked all the time anyways.

Firemind

It's awesome right now because nobody knows how to draft the format. Winning 8-4s doesn't require bombs at all. Heck, last draft I beat Ugin in the finals and I played control with no counterspells (well one counterspell that can't counter ugin: neutralizing blast). I wish I had more time to do drafts online...

It's not that you need bombs, its that the power level discrepancy is much higher between a good rare and a good common than in more recent sets. I prefer a more flat power level like Theros or Rise.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150782912]It's not that you need bombs, its that the power level discrepancy is much higher between a good rare and a good common than in more recent sets. I prefer a more flat power level like Theros or Rise.[/QUOTE]

I still maintain that JBT was better than triple KTK.

Come at me, bros.

I drafted a ton of JBT, and Theros block drafts in general. While I'm pretty sure I did just about everything you can do in that format (including milling people to death with Thassa's Devourer), I never got to play with Elspeth or Hour of Need, which is kind of a bummer.

I drafted a ton of JBT, and Theros block drafts in general. While I'm pretty sure I did just about everything you can do in that format (including milling people to death with Thassa's Devourer), I never got to play with Elspeth or Hour of Need, which is kind of a bummer.
I opened a double elspeth pack in a sealed pool once.

With no other white playables.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";150800228]I opened a double elspeth pack in a sealed pool once.

With no other white playables.[/QUOTE]

You don't need other white playables. You just win with Elspeth 3.

Angry Grimace

I remember when I was like, "hey Legacy looks fu........oh wait Wasteland is 100 dollars on MTGO and duals are 300 dollars in paper"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom