• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't tell what's ultimately gonna end up happening with the price of alt art Ugin. Like, there's no reason it should be this expensive, yet here we are.

Neither got shit on Shichifukujin Dragon though.

Speaking of rare cards, I can't wait for EDH to become a sanctioned Pro Tour format just so someone can show up with 1996 World Champion and become the Seto Kaiba of the Magic world.

"Your Condemns and Bant Charms are useless against me, fool!"

Joe Molotov

So instead of opening another Crucible of the Spirit Dragon at tonight's draft, I cracked a Scroll of the Masters instead, thanks RNGeezus. Oh, and for extra laffs, one of my Khans packs had Altar of the Brood FFS. It was a pauper draft tonight.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Crucible could be constructed playable depending on Dragons of Tarkir. Playing a dragon without tapping out seems good. Or better yet, two dragons. The dragon has to be busted though.

As far as limited goes, I like Fate Reforged so far. I opened like 4 Daghatars, which is an okay rare. Dat feel tho when you get passed Crux of Fate. I don't even know what the dude next to me could take over a wrath.

Wraths are pretty so-so in limited in my experience. I know LSV says something similar.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Crucible could be constructed playable depending on Dragons of Tarkir. Playing a dragon without tapping out seems good. Or better yet, two dragons. The dragon has to be busted though.

As far as limited goes, I like Fate Reforged so far. I opened like 4 Daghatars, which is an okay rare. Dat feel tho when you get passed Crux of Fate. I don't even know what the dude next to me could take over a wrath.

I got passed a foil Spectra Ward when the other guy took a Stab Wound.

He beat me after so joke's on me

Firemind

Neither got shit on Shichifukujin Dragon though.
I wonder what it will go for... imagine some Japanese bloke finding one of the copies that were supposed to be destroyed years ago. On that note, I wonder what the 1996 world champion will go for...

I really can't tell what's ultimately gonna end up happening with the price of alt art Ugin. Like, there's no reason it should be this expensive, yet here we are.
At this rate it will be more expensive than a near mint Alpha Shivan Dragon. Blows my mind.

Wraths are pretty so-so in limited in my experience. I know LSV says something similar.
I don't believe you. I've seen him take End Hostilities in a recorded draft! It's pretty easy to get value out of wraths with so many walls, tokens and crippling chills in the format.

My dream some day is to have End Hostilities, Crux of Fate, Duneblast and Ugin in the same draft. After owning Shichifukujin Dragon and alt art Ugin of course.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It helps that only one or two of them are played in a deck.

red13th

yeah i mentioned earlier that 2-player drafting leads to a bit more randomness, so rather than focusing on aggro or combo i tried to build a something a little slower with a stronger multicolor theme to keep it interesting/somewhat complex.

i tweaked the numbers of cards to get everything at 30 and used the extra two spots that opened up to add two more multicolor mana rocks. i sort of like the idea of having a bit heavier multicolor theme and i'd be more inclined to add fixing to support that, so if you have suggestions along those lines (or can explain to me why this is a terrible idea) i'm all ears.

Oops thought I had replied to you, sorry.
I took a look and cards that I could think of replacements are Vulshok Sorceress to Cunning Sparkmage (0/1 but 2R instead of 1RR) and Sign in Blood to Night's Whisper (loses targeting but 1B instead of BB, Jace vs Vraska has nice looking art too). Other cards that could be replaced due to being cheap (ideally cast early) but CC are Loyal Cathar, Dauthi Slayer and Garruk's Companion, maybe Boomerang, Withdraw and Deprieve. They all seem reasonably strong though. I don't know much about Peasant cubes so I can't help you very much. Let me know how it plays once you get it together.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You know what's really good in this format based on exactly two games I've played with it? Duneblast

Duneblast into Hooded Hydra was pretty fun man

Prediction time! What deck(s) do you think will be in the top 8, and any predictions on players?

Personally, I'm betting on this being a Brian Kibler-friendly metagame. I think he makes Top 8 with a deck that has Knight of the Reliquary in it. I think it will be a fairly diverse Top 8; I don't think I can predict everything that will be there, but I do think you'll see Storm there. Dredge will make top 8, although we may see a version make a splash on day 1.

Lucario

Not sure where you read this; unconditional wraths like Crux of Fate, Day of Judgment, and End Hostilities are all first pick worthy, and LSV has rated them as such. MtgGoldfish statistics reflect how insane they are in draft.

Even 6-mana wraths like Life's Finale are p1p1 material.

Prediction time! What deck(s) do you think will be in the top 8, and any predictions on players?

Personally, I'm betting on this being a Brian Kibler-friendly metagame. I think he makes Top 8 with a deck that has Knight of the Reliquary in it. I think it will be a fairly diverse Top 8; I don't think I can predict everything that will be there, but I do think you'll see Storm there. Dredge will make top 8, although we may see a version make a splash on day 1.

Already picked up some KoTRs, I'm hopeful to see them make a comeback in this meta. I'm expecting a lot of B/G/x midrange and at least one Gifts Ungiven deck in the top 16.

I don't think dredge will make top 8, but I would be very happy to be proven wrong. New brews are always exciting.

Socat

I doubt we see dredge in T8, although I'd agree it will make a showing. My predictions for T8 in no particular order

2 Junk
U/R Twin
UWR Control
G/R Tron
Affinity
Scapeshift
Amulet Bloom

f0rk

I don't think Kibler spends enough time playing to top 8, especially modern

Dickmann to top 8

Lucario

Top 8 prediction:

3 B/G/x Tasigur midrange
1 B/G/w/r midrange with Ajani Vengeant/Lingering Souls
1 Scapeshift
1 Storm
1 Affinity
1 American Control

f0rk

My friend is play UWR featuring 2 Gideon, 1 Tasigur and sideboard Lingering Souls, Consecrated Sphinx and Slaughter Games

f0rk

Did something happen for them to turn the chat off or was it off from the get go? Coverage is worse without Kappa

Angry Grimace

Not sure where you read this; unconditional wraths like Crux of Fate, Day of Judgment, and End Hostilities are all first pick worthy, and LSV has rated them as such. MtgGoldfish statistics reflect how insane they are in draft.

Even 6-mana wraths like Life's Finale are p1p1 material.

Dude, I said, "so-so" not "shitty card you should pass." There's lots of first-pickable cards that aren't unbeatable bombs if you get them in your hand. I mean, the line I'm referring to was "I’ve said many times how I’m not the biggest fan of wraths in Limited..." I mean, sure I guess that could read "I don't like them, but they're super amazing!" but its splitting hairs.

Lucario

There's basically no ceiling on Alt Ugin. I would not be surprised to see him ending up around 500.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that either. I kind of wonder how many copies exist; seems to be even lower than the 2013 set of SDCC walkers, judging by how quickly listings are drying up on ebay.

With SDCC2013 Chandra at 225, I could easily see Ugin going higher than that.

ultron87

I suppose it at least guarantees they can show most of another match too. Have they started doing the recorded "flashback" game thing that CFB does for their GPs? That was always nice to fill in the breaks.

bigkrev

I think i'd rather do actual work the rest of this afternoon if they are keeping Rashad on commentary for the next few rounds

Seriously. I get that they're loyal to him, and that's great, but he needs to never commentate a match of Magic ever. I'm sure he's great at many things, but talking coherently about live Magic is not one of those things.

This Abzan list from Stern is great. I don't know why I didn't connect the dots and see that Township was going to be great in this archetype when it's obviously playing Lingering Souls as a four-of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom