• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Chapin is playing some sort of Esper colored deck with 4x Mishra's Bauble and Fulminator Mage. No idea what the deck actually does because the only bit I saw on camera was him dying to Affinity

kirblar

Chapin is playing some sort of Esper colored deck with 4x Mishra's Bauble and Fulminator Mage. No idea what the deck actually does because the only bit I saw on camera was him dying to Affinity
It sounds like Delve schenanigans- he's got Tasigur, Angler, and Stubborn Denial.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Turns out that Paul Cheon is actually capable of losing matches of Magic.

Also, Cifka's deck looks really good against a field of Abzan.

Its like the Modern Event deck with some Bitterblossom! (They still have those at my LGS and they're like 45 bucks and gathering dust lol)

I hear Chapin has Gurmag Angler in his Modern deck. Didn't expect that to see Modern play.

I think he's playing them as Tasigur No. 5-X.

And 'Goyf.

As I expected, 'Goyf is looking worse and worse. Getting 'Goyf to 5/6 has always been difficult - it typically tops out at 4/5 (creature, instant, sorcery, land). I think we might be looking at a Modern where dreams are finally coming true - 'Goyf isn't a guaranteed 4-of in every midrange deck.

f0rk

And 'Goyf.

As I expected, 'Goyf is looking worse and worse. Getting 'Goyf to 5/6 has always been difficult - it typically tops out at 4/5 (creature, instant, sorcery, land). I think we might be looking at a Modern where dreams are finally coming true - 'Goyf isn't a guaranteed 4-of in every midrange deck.
Play it in bug midrange with bitterblossom, Liliana, Batterskull and Thought Scour and Goyf is infinitely big

Firemind

There's basically no ceiling on Alt Ugin. I would not be surprised to see him ending up around 500.
Must resist temptation...

I'd rather buy duals or beta cards with that money than buy something only because Wizards did some shitty lottery thing.

I'm not going to look forward to Ugin in every EDH deck imaginable either.

Cards that I'm hoping to spike hard this weekend (since I've been hoarding them for months):

-Abrupt Decay
-Siege Rhino
-Eidolon of the Great Revel
-Tasigur
-All Shocklands
-Scavenging Ooze

f0rk

Not a fan of these deck techs that don't have deck lists. You can explain the archetype to new players while showing what numbers the pro has actually come up with, this format brings nothing for players who know what a deck does

kirblar

Not a fan of these deck techs that don't have deck lists. You can explain the archetype to new players while showing what numbers the pro has actually come up with, this format brings nothing for players who know what a deck does
They're trying not to just screw the person who does the tech deck. I suspect people just plain weren't willing to do them w/ the old format.

MjFrancis

I'm half-joking, too. Imagine what the format would be if they banned Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time on their own!

Abzan was the obvious go-to deck here. And it plays fair. I'm surprised there wasn't more Twin, honestly.

kirblar

I'm half-joking, too. Imagine what the format would be if they banned Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time on their own!

Abzan was the obvious go-to deck here. And it plays fair. I'm surprised there wasn't more Twin, honestly.
Twin gets a lot of free wins, but just dies to decks with tons of critter removal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The official "tweets" on the side had a guy who said "I used to lose to osmanozguny all the time back when mtgo still existed!" Someone in Wizards didn't catch that dig.

Wichu

Went 3-1 at FNM with a Chromanticore deck and won three packs. Got Frontier Siege and two Torrent Elementals. Today was pretty good.

And yes, I did get to bestow Chromanticore on Chromanticore.

MjFrancis

I thought to myself that I don't want to shell out for a Modern Abzan deck right now, but then it dawned on me that I could probably splash Green in B/W Tokens and jam 4x Siege Rhino in there and it'd probably improve the deck.

Sure enough, I do a search and people are already trying that, lol. Honor of the Pure makes it a 5/6, and it's going to bait any removal that might have been aimed at the tokens. So it might not be so bad after all.

Angry Grimace

Everyone assumed the field was Abzan and just showed up with the most aggressive decks they could find I guess.

Curious to see how the meta shakes out from here. Abzan is an obvious choice (Rhino is the nuts and midrange free-stuff decks have always been good in Modern) but I kind of don't expect it to hold on to this spot once people are more aggressively building around it. Guess we'll see though!

ElyrionX

This crazy fella is playing Humble Defector in a Grixis Twin list.

Edit: Holy shit. Activate, flash Pestermite, activate. Draw 4. Sick.

Definitely didn't expect to see Humble Defector today. Seems decent, but risky vs all the burn in the field.

I happened to read about this yesterday and ordered a playset immediately. The synergies with Twin is quite insane. Not surprised it showed up at PT.

sgjackson

Oops thought I had replied to you, sorry.
I took a look and cards that I could think of replacements are Vulshok Sorceress to Cunning Sparkmage (0/1 but 2R instead of 1RR) and Sign in Blood to Night's Whisper (loses targeting but 1B instead of BB, Jace vs Vraska has nice looking art too). Other cards that could be replaced due to being cheap (ideally cast early) but CC are Loyal Cathar, Dauthi Slayer and Garruk's Companion, maybe Boomerang, Withdraw and Deprieve. They all seem reasonably strong though. I don't know much about Peasant cubes so I can't help you very much. Let me know how it plays once you get it together.

I did a couple of drafts of it by myself (grid drafts having perfect information makes this not totally insane) just to see how decks shook out and noticed three immediate, serious problems

1. I had zero incentive to go into green
2. Aggro was terrible
3. There was too much multicolor

Which further research told me are pretty common traps for someone's first cube. Sweet!

So I went back to the drawing board, gave aggro more tools to succeed, and came up with this. 2-player peasant cube 225. I haven't tested it yet but in theory it should fix the issues I had - green/white picks up a mild enchantment theme, red/white gets some trumpet blast effects and tokens to use with them, and everyone gets some equipment and bestow creatures to beef up early drops with. I also went from three gold cards per guild to two gold cards, and made a concerted effort to minimize the amount of double-casting cost cards given the quality of fixing available.

This is probably going to be closer to what I end up ordering, except I'm considering cutting down to 180 cards.

I thought to myself that I don't want to shell out for a Modern Abzan deck right now, but then it dawned on me that I could probably splash Green in B/W Tokens and jam 4x Siege Rhino in there and it'd probably improve the deck.

Sure enough, I do a search and people are already trying that, lol. Honor of the Pure makes it a 5/6, and it's going to bait any removal that might have been aimed at the tokens. So it might not be so bad after all.

I was feeling funky and played a similar deck last night at a small FNM with bitterblossoms, rhinos, tasigur and the usual token spells. I added 2 Harsh Sustenance (just for the surprise reach factor) and wished I drew into them every game. I might go a full set with it, I only placed 4th in the event.

y2dvd

I tried piloting W/U Heroic for the first time this FNM. I went 1-3 lol. The deck doesn't feel like it leaves much room for any mistakes.

Angry Grimace

Random losses to green devotion and just a boredom concession to UB Ashiok. Otherwise really liked the blowout factor of playing an asshole card like Ascendancy.

Played some kid on U/W control and he was on tilt from the start. All mad that my tokens weren't real (I print proxies on card stock and put them in ultra pros.) and then gave me shit for not siding out Wild Slash (which won the game due to the prowess triggers from Seeker).

Random losses to green devotion and just a boredom concession to UB Ashiok. Otherwise really liked the blowout factor of playing an asshole card like Ascendancy.

Played some kid on U/W control and he was on tilt from the start. All mad that my tokens weren't real (I print proxies on card stock and put them in ultra pros.) and then gave me shit for not siding out Wild Slash (which won the game due to the prowess triggers from Seeker).

I honestly never understood this attitude in Magic, it's so bizarre

Angry Grimace

I honestly never understood this attitude in Magic, it's so bizarre

I don't even think it was right. The most aggressive way to play the deck is triggering prowess (its running Jeskai Ascendancy, Seeker and Mentor), so playing a 1 CMC burn spell that turns my Seekers into 3/3 Lifelinkers is kind of good. I took out several other things for Negates too.

I think he was just on tilt from previous matches though.

I don't even think it was right. The most aggressive way to play the deck is triggering prowess (its running Jeskai Ascendancy, Seeker and Mentor), so playing a 1 CMC burn spell that turns my Seekers into 3/3 Lifelinkers is kind of good. I took out several other things for Negates too.

I think he was just on tilt from previous matches though.

yeah, that sounds good

But like, even if it was wrong. Your opponent is entitled to make bad decisions, bro.

ironmang

Besides that grixis twin list I wasn't really all that impressed with what I saw yesterday. Infect just seemed like a poor choice with all the junk and affinity you had to assume would be floating around the room. Plus burn on top of it.

f0rk

holy shit lol
I wonder how many of each combo piece he had. It seems lucky if it was 1 of each but great drafting if he has more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom