• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

I was feeling funky and played a similar deck last night at a small FNM with bitterblossoms, rhinos, tasigur and the usual token spells. I added 2 Harsh Sustenance (just for the surprise reach factor) and wished I drew into them every game. I might go a full set with it, I only placed 4th in the event.
Glad to hear that it shows some promise. On that note, I also found that G/W Hatebears decks are testing the black splash for Siege Rhino.

And that's why Infect is traditionally great against midrange/attrition decks. Given how much of the field is playing Abzan, it seems like a completely fine choice. Of course, there is a lot of burn, which is bad.

EDIT: And the fun police keep stomping through modern. Turns out it's really hard to beat a pile of Lava Spikes.

f0rk

Since they've reduced the power level of the format, I wonder how they deal with burn. They can't ban Lava Spike

Lucario

Since they've reduced the power level of the format, I wonder how they deal with burn. They can't ban Lava Spike

If it's anything like pre-DRS printing modern, Kitchen Finks and Obstinate Baloth are going to show up in midrange lists again.

This was back when the format was pretty much only popular on MTGO, but I think a lot of people ran a 2-1 split of Finks, and 1-2 Baloths in the board.

I don't think they'll help nearly as much now that Skullcrack and Eidolon of the Great Revel exist, but it's something.

MjFrancis

Did people just expect Burn to fall out of favor or what? It was Tier 1 before Treasure Cruise, it will continue to be Tier 1 after the ban. Eidolon of the Great Revel is an awesome card.

Did people just expect Burn to fall out of favor or what? It was Tier 1 before Treasure Cruise, it will continue to be Tier 1 after the ban. Eidolon of the Great Revel is an awesome card.

It's the Pro Tour. A lot of players look down on Burn (which is dumb - the deck has been completely viable for years).

f0rk

I just think decks that matchups change so much after game 1 are dumb. I wouldn't want to play them myself, and I don't want to have to play sideboard cards which are such big trumps. The strength of white sideboard cards like Stony Silence and Leyline is one of the worst parts of Modern to me

Justin's statement on stream is nuts.

"Twice today, I had my Summer Bloom remanded on Turn 2. I cast Pact of Negation with a single land in play and won the game."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh, I don't like it because I think it's good. I like it because it's fun, and crazy, and exploits all sorts of rules and synergies to do what it does. That's what makes a deck appealing to me.

Firemind

Ugh different goyf art, white boarded summer bloom. Maybe someone will play a sixth edition basic next for maximum troll value.

You were almost right, it was just the guy who doesn't play Hearthstone more than magic that top 8'd with the deck. Kibler got a good finish as well though

If I was going to pick the Kiblerest of cards, it would start with Knight of the Reliquary and go straight to Wilt-Leaf Liege. At least one of those did make the top 8.

Lucario

I'm honestly surprised anti-pimped decks aren't more of a contrarian chic thing.

FoAWjaL.jpg

It's getting more common.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Scratched cards, scribbled cards, cards with rips, cards with creases, cards with coffee stains on them.

Give a pro player an aneurysm by playing a taped together Tarmogoyf.

Speaking of anti-pimp, anybody play Tiny Leaders? It's gotten super popular in my area for some reason.

Here's the brew I've been working on:

Shu Yun, the Silent Dreadnaught

Commander:
imagefkuqd.png

Creatures(3):
  • Monastery Mentor
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught
  • Young Pyromancer

Spells(21):
  • Boros Charm
  • Brainstorm
  • Council's Judgment
  • Counterspell
  • Daze
  • Disrupting Shoal
  • Distortion Strike
  • Enlightened Tutor
  • Faithless Looting
  • Gitaxian Probe
  • Izzet Charm
  • Mana Leak
  • Mystical Tutor
  • Pact of Negation
  • Peek
  • Ponder
  • Preordain
  • Remand
  • Slight of Hand
  • Spell Pierce
  • Stifle

Enchantments/Artifacts(7):
  • Cloudform
  • Detention Sphere
  • Energy Field
  • Rest in Peace
  • Sensei's Divining Top
  • Torpor Orb
  • Whispersilk Cloak

Lands(18):
  • Flooded Strand
  • Arid Mesa
  • Scalding Tarn
  • Misty Rainforest
  • Polluted Delta
  • Hallowed Fountain
  • Steam Vents
  • Sacred Foundry
  • Temple of Enlightenment
  • Temple of Epiphany
  • Temple of Triumph
  • Tolaria West
  • Halimar Depths
  • 3 Island
  • 1 Plains
  • 1 Mountain

Sideboard(10):
  • Anger of the Gods
  • Blood Moon
  • Chalice of the Void
  • Circle of Flame
  • Disenchant
  • Engineered Explosives
  • Flusterstorm
  • Pithing Needle
  • Stony Silence
  • Suppression Field
  • Tormod's Crypt

Lucario

Scratched cards, scribbled cards, cards with rips, cards with creases, cards with coffee stains on them.

Give a pro player an aneurysm by playing a taped together Tarmogoyf.

I'd love to see an entire deck of terrible alters in even worse condition. Ante league legacy.

ironmang

I'm honestly surprised anti-pimped decks aren't more of a contrarian chic thing.

I used to be big into foils. Now I'm downgrading to oldest reasonably affordable versions (original shocks for example) with some pimp things like full art pyroclasms. I'm sure it won't be long until I'm using pissed-on 9th edition basics.

I'd love to see an entire deck of terrible alters in even worse condition. Ante league legacy.

You could build a deck so cheap that way. Getting cards in terrible condition while still being judge-approved might be a problem though.

Crocodile

So is there going to be a product announcement tomorrow? I feel like there is one every Pro Tour but I haven't heard anything about this Pro Tour.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
http://killingagoldfish.blogspot.com/2015/02/kill-reviews-zendikar-block.html

Huh...yeah, I don't agree at all. Well, okay I agree that ZZZ limited was pretty trash and that Worldwake was, at best, generic, but his primary complaint is that the sets weren't "land heavy" enough? That Landfall wasn't an actual "lands matter" mechanic? He expresses disappointment that there were "only" 20 nonbasics in Zendikar; was he expecting Land Mirrodin?

I mean:
What Zendikar emphasized more was its landfall mechanic. Maybe I’m being pedantic here, but I see a big difference between being a set that cares a lot about land, and being a set that cares about when a land enters the battlefield. Other than providing enough mana for expensive kicker spells, the lands didn’t really seem to matter in Zendikar.

What attributes about land can you care about other then "how many you have" and "when one ETB"?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So is there going to be a product announcement tomorrow? I feel like there is one every Pro Tour but I haven't heard anything about this Pro Tour.

The Core Set hasn't actually been announced.

kirblar

I don't like it. I'm an American citizen living in Taiwan. My DCI number says I'm from Taiwan. I got to play in a WMCQ tournament last year (and got a very nice GoST for it.) Now I can't play because I'm 2 years away from permanent residency. .
The issue is things like an American soldier stationed in Korea winning a WMCQ there. Perfectly valid under the old rules.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";151160930]So sad to see lee at two with an eidolon in hand lol[/QUOTE]
Firing off that bolt early on caught up to him, along w/ keeping Molten Rain in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom