• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody explain to me why 277 cards = flip cards but 272 = no flip cards? Innistrad was only 264 cards for example.

I will also agree that Hagon made that transition from pre to post PW Liliana way more awkward than it had any need or right to be. That was weird.

I have a lot of respect for Hagon, but he doesn't deal well with things he can't... prepare for.

OnPoint

That 'Goyf graphic had it listed as Rare Creature but they showed the MM mythic version. Also they started talking about MM 2015... Hints or me looking to deep into hoping for a Rare level reprint?

Mothership announcement article has a Jace picture:

ARC20150209_8s4nxt32cc.jpg

It will be interesting to see pre-spark versions of planeswalker characters.

Hero

I don't know how much of a lonely island I'm on w/ this one, but I think Splinter Twin proper should have been banned eons ago because it's a virtual T3 combo win.

Splinter absolutely should be banned. Like you say, it's a virtual t3 (or t3.5?) win that is very narrow in terms of being able to answer it.

Socat

Splinter absolutely should be banned. Like you say, it's a virtual t3 (or t3.5?) win that is very narrow in terms of being able to answer it.

So then why not amulet bloom pieces since it can drop primetimes on T2? I am glad to see both Abzan decks lose.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I think they don't want to open the can of worms of banning entire decks too often. Twin wasnt oppressive when we had Pod.

kirblar

"He double bags this one", oh, BDM- lolol
Might as well just delete the format then
It won the first Modern PT and never got touched. That's kinda been the issue the whole time, it was good enough then, it's still good enough now.

kirblar

What all cards do you think should be banned? Just wondering what kind of metagame we'd have.
I think Thoughtseize would make a better format, but may not actually be an issue. I think Splinter Twin has basically been screwing over sorcery-speed decks in the format the entire time its been legal and it's helped push towards "nothing but Jund variants" we see.

Socat

I think Thoughtseize would make a better format, but may not actually be an issue. I think Splinter Twin has basically been screwing over sorcery-speed decks in the format the entire time its been legal and it's helped push towards "nothing but Jund variants" we see.

I think Siege Rhino has pushed us more towards Jund/Junk/Abzan decks than Splinter Twin has.

f0rk

If they ban anything else in the format I think it's them admitting the format is a failure and once your cards rotate out of Standard they are useless.

kirblar

I think Siege Rhino has pushed us more towards Jund/Junk/Abzan decks than Splinter Twin has.
Siege Rhino got Pod banned because the Pod decks just became straight value decks that happened to have an infinite combo. It's definitely a stupid card.
If they ban anything else in the format I think it's them admitting the format is a failure and once your cards rotate out of Standard they are useless.
I think they really need to get a lot of heads together on it, because it's running into issues for sure.

f0rk

I'd be alright with a rotating ban list. Keep it depowered for 6 months, then release a few key cards for 6 months so the format is completely new, then ban another set of cards in a different configuration to the first time. I guess it would screw over the idea of having one deck which is a big draw to the format though

kirblar

I'd be alright with a rotating ban list. Keep it depowered for 6 months, then release a few key cards for 6 months so the format is completely new, then ban another set of cards in a different configuration to the first time. I guess it would screw over the idea of having one deck which is a big draw to the format though
Yeah, casuals would hate this.

Here's a simpler version of where I'm coming from: I want to live in a world where blue answer decks are playable. I don't want to live in one where the best kill condition is Splinter Twin. I do not like these hybrid decks existing.

red13th

In a format based on fetching Shocklands burn not doing well would be really weird.
Not sure what would make the format less terrible though since Delver was disgusting.

Crocodile

Yeah, casuals would hate this.

Here's a simpler version of where I'm coming from: I want to live in a world where blue answer decks are playable. I don't want to live in one where the best kill condition is Splinter Twin. I do not like these hybrid decks existing.

What is the "ideal" kill condition? Geist of Saint Traft/Restoration Angel/Vendilion Clique/Celestial Colonnade beatdown? Large formats like Modern & Extended will likely never be conducive to 6+ mana, hard to kill "dragons".

Hero

So then why not amulet bloom pieces since it can drop primetimes on T2? I am glad to see both Abzan decks lose.

I haven't seen too much of the amulet deck before this weekend but what I'm assuming is that the deck is overall extremely fragile and requires a specific number of cards to do a T2 win. Regardless, I think the deck looks extremely un-fun to play against, much like Egg was.

I think they don't want to open the can of worms of banning entire decks too often. Twin wasnt oppressive when we had Pod.

Oppressive in terms of what? Popularity? Win %? I'd like to see some numbers but the deck has existed since Modern debuted and hasn't been touched. Do you really think it's fun or skill based to go land, land, land, flash creature of choice, untap and play another land cast Splinter Twin?

bigkrev

Decks need more slots against Twin- Jacob Wilson had no chance in his match

If you want to ban a twin piece, ban Deciever. It leaves the deck alive, but makes it less consistent and more vulnerble to removal cards (Like Gut Shot)

Firemind

It's always a pleasure to hear LSV commentate. Truly an ambassador of MtG.

Also, yay, Euroland win! Score is now tied 1-1. See you in Brussels!

Oppressive in terms of what? Popularity? Win %? I'd like to see some numbers but the deck has existed since Modern debuted and hasn't been touched. Do you really think it's fun or skill based to go land, land, land, flash creature of choice, untap and play another land cast Splinter Twin?
Thinks Thoughtseize is too good. Wants Splinter Twin banned.

Socat

If you want to ban a twin piece, ban Deciever. It leaves the deck alive, but makes it less consistent and more vulnerble to removal cards (Like Gut Shot)

Twin is fine and not oppressive, and is very fragile to instant speed removal, which you can find easily.

kirblar

Thoughtseize is too good and should never have been printed. I don't think we're at the point where you axe it yet, but long-term it's a consideration. See: Kiblers articles on it where he was pissed at the standard legal-reprint.

The Twin deck isn't a dedicated Twin deck. It's a U/R Tempo deck that uses Twin as a secondary kill condition. We literally just banned Pod for being a secondary combo in Abzan goodstuff decks, and this is doing the exact same thing and has been doing it for just as long. "Dies to removal" = "Dies to Abrupt Decay". The deck has access to Dispel and other counter magic to hit other kill spells. It's only fragile if you play badly with it.

Kerrinck

Deceiver getting a ban would probably be replaced by that white 1/4 that does the exactly same thing.

Looks like the Bloom deck couldn't quite beat it's worst possible matchup after being gifted a win in the semis. Can't say I'm too surprised about the outcome - Modern is a matchup format, and seedings/matchups in the top 8 were pretty much the most important factor in who won.

Regarding Twin: the problem with banning it is that it doesn't meet any of the criteria for a ban. It doesn't win too fast. It doesn't win too much. You can argue that it hurts diversity, but there are still plenty of Jeskai Control and UR Faeries decks that are viable without having to play Twin. Twin decks are playing sub-par creatures in order to combo - it's really not just as simple as "jam 4 Twin into a stock UR tempo deck to win more."

Is Twin shutting down other strategies? Of course! So are Thoughtseize decks, Cranial Plating decks, Lava Spike decks, etc. Just because there's a deck out there that's powerful, consistent, and has a swath of good matchups doesn't mean you must ban it - unless it demonstrates an oppressive leve of dominance repeatedly (e.g. pre-ban Jund).

Double post:

The continued emphasis on Liliana as a sexual object for teenage boys is exactly the type of thing that makes me embarrassed to publicly admit my love for Magic.

So I've decided to follow my dreams and broke down my UW Miracles deck for trade parts and started building my favorite Legacy deck, Reanimator.

Fuck how goddamn expensive this deck is, though. Three duals in the sideboard just to splash abrupt decay? Who do you think I am, Joe Lossett? Build a cheaper version next time, dude :-(

kirblar

I was wrong about the punt in G3 btw, I forgot about the Ghost Quarter. Lots of questionable lines in that third game in general though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Double post:

The continued emphasis on Liliana as a sexual object for teenage boys is exactly the type of thing that makes me embarrassed to publicly admit my love for Magic.

I feel like there's a middle ground between BLM Lili wnd WHM Lili but they just have to make her go full Frazetta for the former. If they merely covered her belly and gave her, like, an evening dress that goes up to the shoulders, that would go a long way towards making her more presentable. Or do it the other way, and cover her top with a vest and she can show off her midriff for the 14 year olds.

Hero

It's always a pleasure to hear LSV commentate. Truly an ambassador of MtG.

Also, yay, Euroland win! Score is now tied 1-1. See you in Brussels!

Thinks Thoughtseize is too good. Wants Splinter Twin banned.

Well let's see, how can we make a card better than Thoughtseize.

- You can choose land cards
- You can pick two cards instead of just one
- No life loss. Hell, gain some life instead.

Thoughtseize is too good. It is the best 1CC discard spell in the game.

Not sure what that has to do with Splinter Twin being terrible for the format.

ultron87

Being the best at a thing doesn't mean it is too good.

The life loss is a real disadvantage. There is a reason decks like Efro's used a mix of Inquisition and Thoughtseize.

kirblar

Well let's see, how can we make a card better than Thoughtseize.

- You can choose land cards
- You can pick two cards instead of just one
- No life loss. Hell, gain some life instead.

Thoughtseize is too good. It is the best 1CC discard spell in the game.

Not sure what that has to do with Splinter Twin being terrible for the format.
Because I made both comments.

Hero

Being the best at a thing doesn't mean it is too good.

The life loss is a real disadvantage. There is a reason decks like Efro's used a mix of Inquisition and Thoughtseize.

Life is a resource. As long as you are above 0 it doesn't matter for the most part if you're at 1 life or a million life. 2 life is rather insignificant, especially on the first few crucial turns of the game.

Because I made both comments.

Yeah but he quoted me even though I'm not sure why.

ultron87

Life is a resource. As long as you are above 0 it doesn't matter for the most part if you're at 1 life or a million life. 2 life is rather insignificant, especially on the first few crucial turns of the game.

Thank you for the Magic Theory 101. Losing two life on a Thoughtseize is a real concern when you're also hitting yourself for multiple life from your lands and Burn is a real deck in the format, since Thoughtseize + cracking a fetch for a basic is one less card they'll need to kill you with. Not enough to not play it, generally, but enough that four of them isn't necessarily the way to go even if you want that many hand disruption spells.

Hero

I just had a deja vu. Didn't we have this conversation some time ago about haymaker Thoughtseize?

Yes, back when Monoblack pack rat decks were oppressing RTR standard.

Thank you for the Magic Theory 101. Losing two life on a Thoughtseize is a real concern when you're also hitting yourself for multiple life from your lands and Burn is a real deck in the format, since Thoughtseize + cracking a fetch for a basic is one less card they'll need to kill you with. Not enough to not play it, generally, but enough that four of them isn't necessarily the way to go even if you want that many hand disruption spells.

It's a risk and I'm not saying you won't lose games because of it but 2 life is a tame drawback. Going turn one fetch into untapped shock into Thoughtseize is pretty bad for 5 life but sometimes worth it.

Jund had to really watch their life total or play low-impact threats like Kitchen Finks (which is obviously a great card but not a serious wincon). Now you get to jam 4 Siege Rhino to easily offset the lifeloss.

The problem with Thoughtseize is that it's simultaneously too good and the best police card in the format. What happens if you ban it? What happens to Storm? Bloom? Etc. The fact that it's around means that you don't have to be super aggressive with bannings directed at combo decks.

alternade

Rather than banning, would the better solution to have WOTC to print hoser cards or better cards for less played archtypes?

I would like for them to just unban it all and let the cards fall where they may.

Hero

Jund had to really watch their life total or play low-impact threats like Kitchen Finks (which is obviously a great card but not a serious wincon). Now you get to jam 4 Siege Rhino to easily offset the lifeloss.

The problem with Thoughtseize is that it's simultaneously too good and the best police card in the format. What happens if you ban it? What happens to Storm? Bloom? Etc. The fact that it's around means that you don't have to be super aggressive with bannings directed at combo decks.

I agree with your statement that it is a police type of card. All I was saying is the card in a vacuum is too good. Splinter Twin is a more problematic card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom