• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

I'm very excited about Sidisi, shoe in for my cube since I'm looking for Zombies and really wanted to replace my shitty non-Shriekmaw 5 drops (Bloodgift Demon and Grey Merchant). not sure which one to cut.

^^
they should show Sarkhan and Narset already! :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For Sidisi, name some creatures that can do some good things when they go into the graveyard.

Image.ashx

Firemind

Dragon Tempest is practically begging people to build dragon decks. Better stock up on Crucible of the Spirit Dragons before the price increase! ;)
Favorable Winds saw no play. This is a little bit better depending on the dragons spoiled. Please, print a 4cc dragon at rare kthxbai.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gonna laugh if 2 weeks from now, the best dragon is still Stormbreath Dragon

Hasn't been posted yet:
en_veTyGfn1hh.png

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the mechanics in this set. I didn't expect rebound to return in this set, and certainly not for only one clan to get a returning mechanic, but it's a fun one that wasn't explored all that much in Rise of the Eldrazi.

All of the new cards look pretty fun.

Concerning why exploit would be keyworded, the issue is that if mechanic isn't given a name, then people simply don't notice it, which was a big issue with Mercadian Masques.

Angry Grimace

Hasn't been posted yet:
en_veTyGfn1hh.png

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the mechanics in this set. I didn't expect rebound to return in this set, and certainly not for only one clan to get a returning mechanic, but it's a fun one that wasn't explored all that much in Rise of the Eldrazi.

All of the new cards look pretty fun.

Concerning why exploit would be keyworded, the issue is that if mechanic isn't given a name, then people simply don't notice it, which was a big issue with Mercadian Masques.

I think Kirblar is questioning why it needs a KEYWORD vs. just an ability word the way Ferocious does. Its possible another card specifically cares about Exploit ("when you exploit a creature..."), but it doesn't seem super likely.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Maybe they found that splitting it into two decisions provided some strategy with other elements of the set? i.e Exploiting for the sacrifice, but then not choosing to use the follow up effect?

That seems like it would be super narrow though

ultron87

Category 7: Uncommon mana stones (NOTE: Do these turn into Dragons? Hmmmm....)

So something like...

Kolaghan Egg (3)
Artifact

Tap: Add R or B to your mana pool.

4BR, Tap, Sacrifice Kolaghan Egg: Put a 3/3 Red and Black Dragon Token with Flying and Haste onto the battlefield.

Angry Grimace

Looking at spoilers and arguing for/against those cards is literally one of my favorite things in Magic.

Angry Grimace

Megamorph is pretty uninspired and someone should get fired for not calling it "Mightymorph" if they were going to use a silly phrase to describe it.

Also, 5-card cycle for each color with a Creature - Ranger with the ability.

Firemind

Yeah, there's only so much you can do with creature mana rock cycles, especially if you assume they'll be sticking with the pattern of 3-mana ones. Maybe it could just be alternate banners and the flavor is you can pay a bunch of mana to signal Dragon reinforcements.

Also, almost called it.
X, sacrifice: search your deck for a dragon with converted mana x or less and put it into play.

Angry Grimace

en_pP67KZDyXy.png

Now that I look at it, the rules text for this suggests there might be other cards that specifically care about Exploit.

inthrall

This megamorphing mechanic makes me sad that Birchlore Ranger has been printed

we could have had Mega Morphing Birchlore Rangers!

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154295612]Sarkhan, Loner Transfer Student
+1: l-l-look at me, senpai!
-3: *hides love letter in locker*
-10: Stick it in
<[2]3[/QUOTE]

Someone made the "notice me senpai" joke at FNM

I suspect the main reason for keywording "exploit" is chunking. It's so much easier to refer to something like this if it has a single flavorful term applied to it. For the experienced player it's not hard to just think ETB + sac, but for newbies (and in card text) it's simpler to just say exploit. Yes it does balloon the card text a bit by separating the keyword from its actual payload, but the language is cleaner.

Of course, none of this precludes that we could see cards that trigger on exploit.

I suspect the main reason for keywording "exploit" is chunking. It's so much easier to refer to something like this if it has a single flavorful term applied to it. For the experienced player it's not hard to just think ETB + sac, but for newbies (and in card text) it's simpler to just say exploit. Yes it does balloon the card text a bit by separating the keyword from its actual payload, but the language is cleaner.

Of course, none of this precludes that we could see cards that trigger on exploit.

You could write it as an ability word, e.g. Ferocious:

Silumgar Butcher
Exploit - When Silumgar Butcher enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.

FAKE EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, this is very different than Exploit as a keyword. If my opponent uses a protection spell on the creature I'm trying to kill in response to the trigger, I could choose to not sacrifice the creature. With Exploit as implemented now, I have to commit to the sacrifice. It also doesn't kill "shy" creatures for no cost.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Right, there are clear mechanical differences in how they split it up. Its just I'm not sure, until we see more cards with it, just how relevant those mechanical differences are ever going to be

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154308848]So Rebound is really good with Monastery Mentor.[/QUOTE]

Its good with Prowess in general. I assume Distortion Strike will be a thing; mercifully, Consuming Vapors is not in Ojutai colors.

bigkrev

I take it you hate Cloudform then.

Lets see what I said when the card was spoiled.....

FUCK THIS FUCKING CARD ARE YOU SHITTING ME YOU MADE INVISIBLE STALKER AGAIN YOU IDIOTS

20 Minutes later I'm still seething.

I can't believe they thought that card was OK to print. Its a cheap evasive Hexproof guy WITH UPSIDE (of turning face up). I really want to know the process that led to this card existing.

Yeah, I was pretty mad.

Angry Grimace

Also, Legacy Cube will be running March 18 - April 1. It hasn't been running too much recently due to Release and Prerelease Events.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154313777]Show and Tell banned :([/QUOTE]

I think it got cut on the same grounds that Eureka did, e.g. Randy considered it a trap card with a bad win percentage.

Firemind

opponent trying to fight my creature in the early game when i have all my mana available and all i have in my hand are lands... feels bad man.

Angry Grimace

Distortion Strike while W/U Heroic is a thing sounds way too dirty. Maybe a more expensive version of it.

Cruel Edict was in Fate Reforged at some point. If its in DTK that deck is deader than dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom