• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

It always feels like a cosmic injustice when your opponent makes a stupid risky play and you don't have anything to punish them for it.
And that's after I mulliganed to five on the play. (no red mana all blue cards first hand and one land second hand.)

Then my opponent proceeds to play Siege Rhino in a four-colour deck for maximum troll value.

Maledict

Is it me, or is this block giving off a sense of 'Time Spiral under New World Order'?

Obviously the set has a time theme, but it also has a higher level of complexity than normal sets (not only more mechanics, but some quite complex mechanics). Most importantly, it has a large number of 'in jokes' and a nostalgia theme the same as time spiral - only this time it's all in one block rather than referencing all of magics history.

red13th

Meh, Khans doesn't have Time Spiral's flood of old mechanics (very fun IMO), and morph was on less cards in TSP so it had somewhat fewer cards with "that's chaff" written on them, but I can see why you feel that way.

Upon seeing that new Blue MegaMorph card, I'm really regretting selling my Two Whisperwood Elementals. I want my Manifest Destiny Deck, darn it, and that counter ability is perfect.

OnPoint

Can we please have a small laugh at how this sounds similar to "Snapcaster Mage" and how it's nothing like it?

en_VJoNzbj1Th.png

I don't know why, but it's funny to me.

Is it me, or is this block giving off a sense of 'Time Spiral under New World Order'?

It's got the time theme and what is clearly them trying to find the upper bound of complexity under NWO. (Given how many people are actually complaining about it, this is pretty much it.) That certainly has an element of Time Spiral feel, though the time theme doesn't show through much in the mechanics here.

I do feel like it's a good less tongue-in-cheek referencey than some of the other stuff they've done post-Time Spiral. Something like Scars block is closer to what I think a maximum-in-joke set looks like these days.

OnPoint

I do feel like it's a good less tongue-in-cheek referencey than some of the other stuff they've done post-Time Spiral. Something like Scars block is closer to what I think a maximum-in-joke set looks like these days.
Don't be surprised if Return to Zendikar has injokes galore.

Yeef

Jeskai getting rebound is kind of fortuitous, since just 2 nights ago that I was thinking I'd like to switch the WUR theme in one of my cubes from ETB abilities (where red is lacking) to prowess/kiln-fiend style effects. My first thought was to include a decent number of rebound and flashback cards as enablers, but there's criminally low numbers of useful rebound spells in those colors. Hopefully we get a decent amount of cube-worthy rebound spells in Dragons.

Joe Molotov

Villainous Wealth for for x=9. Get bodied. *flex*

4uqTr2l.png

I feel bad though cuz the dude would have beat me in the third game until his client crashed.

Speaking of wanting things to not suck that suck in real life, does anybody else wish for a deck to be good that isn't? Like, if a counter burn deck with kiln fiends, dragonauts and Nivix Cyclops could be even tier 2, I'd be so happy.

Ashiok in Modern. He seems built for it... just isn't great.

Crocodile

Rebound is a cool mechanic so I'm glad it gets anther go around even though its stuck in only two colors. Exploit can't hope to match the awesomeness of Delve so I guess we just have to hope some decent cards with the mechanic get printed anyway. Decent spoilers all around.

Neato. Rebound is crazy hard to balance, so there will be zero playables or a card that is completely busted. Exploit seems great fun, with the right support. And Elder Dragons.

oh my

I mean Staggershock and Consuming Vapors are both very playable but not broken. Distortion Strike is seeming some Modern play and if it and/or Emerge Unscathed comeback, Heroic will have a field day.

Lots of Dragons:

Category 1: The common Dragon (NOTE: This got bumped up to uncommon during Development.)

Category 2: Uncommon gold cycle

Category 3: Uncommon monocolored cycle

Category 4: Rare gold cycle

Category 5: Rare monocolored cycle

Category 6: Mythic rare legendary gold cycle

Category 7: Uncommon mana stones (NOTE: Do these turn into Dragons? Hmmmm....)

Category 8: Cards that care about Dragons

So no Dargon Hatchling or Dragon Egg huh? I'm going to assume those mana rocks probably cost 3 and are thus probably trash outside of limited if not also trash within limited.

Something a little overlooked by previews. Updates to the Legacy Cube and which cards are being rotated out.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/legacy-cube-update-2015-03-02

Spent like a hour tweeting Randy about that. A lot of things I don't agree with here.

It's got the time theme and what is clearly them trying to find the upper bound of complexity under NWO. (Given how many people are actually complaining about it, this is pretty much it.) That certainly has an element of Time Spiral feel, though the time theme doesn't show through much in the mechanics here.

One day I'll understand the minds of those put off by Magic in-jokes rather than intrigued and curious to learn more. One day.

Jeskai getting rebound is kind of fortuitous, since just 2 nights ago that I was thinking I'd like to switch the WUR theme in one of my cubes from ETB abilities (where red is lacking) to prowess/kiln-fiend style effects. My first thought was to include a decent number of rebound and flashback cards as enablers, but there's criminally low numbers of useful rebound spells in those colors. Hopefully we get a decent amount of cube-worthy rebound spells in Dragons.

I don't think Red has a shortage of good ETB creatures. All that being said, the best blink shenanigans are within UW anyway. Drop your Jeskai ways and join the Ojutai clan :p

Maybe, but Zendikar is less specifically weird than Mirrodin right on its face, so I doubt it will surpass Scars in that regard

It also only has the one block to call back on, vs. Scars block that made references to Mirrodin plus the game's entire history with Phyrexia.

One day I'll understand the minds of those put off by Magic in-jokes rather than intrigued and curious to learn more. One day.

I'm not sure there are really people who are categorically opposed. Something like Scars block is like starting in a new workplace and spending the first few weeks catching up on some shared history that people love to make reference to; in comparison, Time Spiral block is like trying to hang out with a group of people who've known each other for twenty years and have such a built-up set of weird in-group communications, historical references, and subject-matter jargon that you can't possibly even know where to start. You even try to look at the commons in Time Spiral and over half of them don't make a lick of sense unless you know the exact specific card they're referencing -- then look at Future Sight where those commons are simultaneously referencing the past and things that haven't even happened yet. It's pretty easy to look into what stuff in Scars block is referencing just on your own, but it's basically impossible to get up to speed for Time Spiral without sitting down and poring through old cardsets in extensive depth (and even then I'm not sure you can ever fully appreciate it if you never sorted through piles of bad Homelands cards or participated in dumb arguments about the rules affecting Evil Eyes of Orms-By-Gore.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thunderbreak-Regent.jpg

Thunderbreak Regent
Flying (I assume)
Each time Thunderbreak Regent becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, Thunderbreak Regent deals 3 damage to that player.
4/4

Yeef

Thunderbreak Regent
Flying (I assume)
Each time Thunderbreak Regent becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, Thunderbreak Regent deals 3 damage to that player.
4/4
I like it!
A 4/4 flier for 4 is already great. The ability is icing.

[EDIT]The translation on Salvation says its ability trigger whenever any dragon you control is targeted by an opponent. If that's accurate, this card is pretty nuts.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's apparently a debate whether it says "whenever thunderbreak regent is the target" or "a dragon". I tend to doubt the latter, that would be flat OP with Stormbreath.

Angry Grimace

MTGgoldfish has it as "Whenever a dragon you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, Thunderbreak Regent deals 3 damage to that player."

Angry Grimace

How is there a debate exactly?

Anyway, the card's text only has the card's name on it once, after the comma, so...?

Nobody on any of the sites I visit speaks or reads Japanese (nor did I attempt to read the Japanese). It was originally reported one way and now MTGS has it as "any dragon." The reason we are skeptical is because getting bolted for targeting ANY dragon seems OP as fuck, especially with Stormbreath being around until next Fall.

Nobody on any of the sites I visit speaks or reads Japanese (nor did I attempt to read the Japanese). It was originally reported one way and now MTGS has it as "any dragon." The reason we are skeptical is because getting bolted for targeting ANY dragon seems OP as fuck, especially with Stormbreath being around until next Fall.

Ah. Well, it's "a dragon you control," you can Google-translate the text on the mtg-jp site that spoiled the card: http://mtg-jp.com/reading/special/0014480/

y2dvd

Thunderbreak-Regent.jpg

Thunderbreak Regent
Flying (I assume)
4/4

Lol it was nice knowing you ashcloud phoenix. This dodges Anger of the Gods and has an upside when targeted? Ok WotC.

Angry Grimace

It's actually because of limited. There aren't that many gold cards in this set. It's not going to be expensive.

I feel like at rare it should be "exile target multicolored permanent."

That new dragon is really neat.

I find it amusing how Radiant Purge was seemingly tailor-made to hit Siege Rhino and Jeskai Ascendancy, even though Wizards probably would have been unaware of how out-of-control the former would get when they made this. Not really a fan of white getting unconditional exile, though.

Speaking of which, despite all the uproar, I haven't been hearing much about Jeskai Ascendancy lately. Is is doing anywhere near good enough to justify the calls for it being banned?

Yeef

I feel like at rare it should be "exile target multicolored permanent."
I don't think they want white to have a cheap, instant-speed answer to planeswalkers in standard. Black is supposed to be the best at dealing with planeswalkers, having a white spell that did it for cheaper would send a different message.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, the wording confuses me as well.

edit: d'oh, I forgot PWs exist now. That's why.

I felt like it should hit them if its rare. Its already a fairly narrow answer.

That new dragon is really neat.

I find it amusing how Radiant Purge was seemingly tailor-made to hit Siege Rhino and Jeskai Ascendancy, even though Wizards probably would have been unaware of how out-of-control the former would get when they made this. Not really a fan of white getting unconditional exile, though.

Speaking of which, despite all the uproar, I haven't been hearing much about Jeskai Ascendancy lately. Is is doing anywhere near good enough to justify the calls for it being banned?

Spending 3 mana on a card that relies on you already having other cards is not always that good.

Nocebo

There's apparently a debate whether it says "whenever thunderbreak regent is the target" or "a dragon". I tend to doubt the latter, that would be flat OP with Stormbreath.
How is this a debate? It says right there on the card that if a dragon that's under your control becomes the target of a spell or ability from an opponent the regent will deal 3 damage.

[あなたがコントロールするドラゴン...]
Means "a dragon you control".

edit: whoops way too late...

Angry Grimace

How is this a debate? It says right there on the card that if a dragon that's under your control becomes the target of a spell or ability from an opponent the regent will deal 3 damage.

This is almost literally a complete duplicate of an already asked and answered question. And I'm not sure how you're not understanding that I have no clue what it says "right there on the card" because I DON'T SPEAK JAPANESE

Nocebo

This is almost literally a complete duplicate of an already asked and answered question. And I'm not sure how you're not understanding that I have no clue what it says "right there on the card" because I DON'T SPEAK JAPANESE
Huh, why don't you speak Japanese? Very strange...

Yeef

The best way to learn Japanese is to be born as a Japanese baby to Japanese parents in Japan.

I fit none of these criteria.
1408.gif

I'm curious how much multicolor we're going to see in this set. Radiant Purge may be rare for limited reasons. If it doesn't have a lot of targets in the format, it'd be pretty annoying at a lower rarity. Neutralizing Blast was uncommon in Fate, but that was drafted with Khans.

Nocebo

The best way to learn Japanese is to be born as a Japanese baby to Japanese parents in Japan.

I fit none of these criteria.
Oh, you mean that you are unable to speak/understand Japanese. As apposed to making a conscious choice to not speak/understand it. I understand now. I guess you speak sarcasm, though, so that's good.

Angry Grimace

On the plus side, I'd say I have most Japanese people beat when it comes to reading, writing and speaking the American dialect of the English language.

Firemind

Can we please have a small laugh at how this sounds similar to "Snapcaster Mage" and how it's nothing like it?

en_VJoNzbj1Th.png

I don't know why, but it's funny to me.
Crafting sand must be one of the least useful powers a wizard can have.

"Thank you for coming to this job interview. We have a few new positions open after our mages got crushed by siege rhinos and electrocuted by Kolaghan. Let me start by asking: What's your specialization?"
"I craft sand."
"Oh, uhm, in the event of a castle siege, how will you confront the dragons?"
"I throw sand in their general direction."
"I see. Well, thank you for your time. I'll let you know if we need your specific set of skills."

Not bad. Crux of Fate get rekt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom