• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Huh, I expected them to wait till Pro Tour Dragons of Tarkir to announce Zendikar II.

Glad to have the worst kept secret in the universe exposed :p

Super dodge on that DFC question.

tumblr_lugf3wwthQ1qg5e8zo1_500.gif

Seriously LOL

y2dvd

Can Liliana be casted, have a noncreature token die, she flips and be able to use her abilities as long as it's the main phase?

Doesn't seem like a way to transform her back eh?

I would have preferred if the Battle for Zendikar teaser ended with Sarkhan, Sorin, and Ugin planeswalking into Zendikar together in an action pose, and then Ugin punching Ulamog in the face.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Think of the lore ramifications if Planeswalkers could flip back.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Card pictures:
635612483214542187.png

I wished I liked this card better. I just don't see it getting cast very often because Temur is a sucky Tier 2 color combo and I can't imagine a storyline justification for why he's randomly part-blue now.

And yes, if you missed it:

eY9tIrL.png

ultron87

Nice job Grimace.

Can Liliana be casted, have a noncreature token die, she flips and be able to use her abilities as long as it's the main phase?

Yeah, that works.

It'll be interesting to see the dance between these Flip-walkers and creature removal. If you're playing her one assumes that your deck has ways to trigger her, so if you have one in hand or on board, but you suspect your opponent has a removal spell neither of you can go for it because whoever responds to the other one wins.

An-Det

Solid enough show, but super disappointed that Goyf is mythic again. The print run won't be anywhere near enough to compensate for that and the demand, despite it being more than MM1.

Love the rug Sarkhan.

Firemind

Also, it was mentioned in the panel that Sarkhan's parents never met in Timeline clickclickroar*wingflap*.
Well, that certainly takes care of the whole time paradox thing.

Am I the only one who's bothered that Sarkhan Unbroken looks more like white Jesus rather than look like his Mongolian/Eastern depictions in Dragonspeaker and the Mad? Even Sarkhan Vol looks more Asian. Aleksi Briclot, for shame.

Yeef

It'll be interesting to see the dance between these Flip-walkers and creature removal. If you're playing her one assumes that your deck has ways to trigger her, so if you have one in hand or on board, but you suspect your opponent has a removal spell neither of you can go for it because whoever responds to the other one wins.
In the case of Liliana, you'll still end up with a 2/2 zombie. It'll be interesting to see if all the others are designed with a consolation prize that makes having it removed in response to a trigger not so bad.

[Edit] Just realized, there's an intervening if. That's disappointing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, you can also just cast another Liliana to flip Liliana. But that's putting in extra effort.

Haly

In the case of Liliana, you'll still end up with a 2/2 zombie. It'll be interesting to see if all the others are designed with a consolation prize that makes having it removed in response to a trigger not so bad.

I don't think that's how it works. For example:

I have Lili on the field and an instant sacrifice effect in hand.
The other player has removal.

If I try to sacrifice something, they can nuke Lili in response to the trigger and the trigger will fizzle, you get no token if she doesn't come back, the effect checks for that.

But, if I run my guys into their guys, and they block, and they try to kill Lili in response to the trigger, I can sacrifice another one of my guys to phase her out, get the token, and get a planeswalker out of it.

Haly

If she was wearing some kind of cloth getup she'd be a Bleach character.

Angry Grimace

They really missed an opportunity not calling this card Dragon Punch

2cZseWO.png

Angry Grimace

Temur is gonna be a lot of fun with new Sarkhan, actually. Play the deck as R/G Ferocious splashing blue for him and Stubborn Denial; Roast helps you with removal against Abzan decks.

Firemind

If there was one thing that irked me about the panel it was how like half the slides had the art in the wrong aspect ratio
Indeed. Ojutai looks and plays sweet. It's a miracle! I like how you can tap out for Ojutai without getting blown out. It also combos really well with Jeskai Ascendancy. Only downside is it doesn't battle well against Stormbreath.

Huh, I expected them to wait till Pro Tour Dragons of Tarkir to announce Zendikar II.

They broke the pattern last year but in general they've always announced the fall block at PAX East -- Innistrad, Return to Ravnica, and Theros all debuted there. The Khans announcement didn't get as much hype (being in the middle of the night US, without any live crowd) so I didn't expect that experiment to repeat.

Doesn't seem like a way to transform her back eh?

Well, you can blink her.

Expect another Gideon in Zendikar II:

This was as much of a gimme as your prediction of ZEN 2 in the first place. :p

Angry Grimace

They broke the pattern last year but in general they've always announced the fall block at PAX East -- Innistrad, Return to Ravnica, and Theros all debuted there. The Khans announcement didn't get as much hype (being in the middle of the night US, without any live crowd) so I didn't expect that experiment to repeat.

Well, you can blink her.

This was as much of a gimme as your prediction of ZEN 2 in the first place. :p

I'm struggling to think of an effect that blinks a Planeswalker. I think they would avoid that as a matter of course since it would reset the Loyalty counters and allow a different use of the abilities.

Haly

You could also Oblivion Ring Lili, then somehow nuke your Oblivion Ring.

Angry Grimace

I don't care if its good, I'm doing it:

deCHWPY.jpg

ignAJVa.png

bBx0geo.png

AehZNsE.jpg

1LcoYUX.png

Too bad about that hybrid return cost being in weird colors though. I guess you'd just run Thassa instead :shrug:

y2dvd

Dragonlord Ojutai playable? I'm guessing it would go in control, so you wouldn't want to tap out for it right away. You'd probably wait until you can play a counterspell as a back up. At that point, you presumably would have 7 lands and can just sit on Pearl Lake Ancient instead. Drawing a card and scrying 2 cards sounds so nice though. Like, I'd want to throw in Ajani Steadfast to give it vigilance and keep that hexproof. And you are playing super friends, the -2 can do work. I'm gonna pick some Ajani's up, screw it!

rdPzZZw.jpg

kirblar

Dragonlord Ojutai playable? I'm guessing it would go in control, so you wouldn't want to tap out for it right away. You'd probably wait until you can play a counterspell as a back up. At that point, you presumably would have 7 lands and can just sit on Pearl Lake Ancient instead. Drawing a card and scrying 2 cards sounds so nice though. Like, I'd want to throw in Ajani Steadfast to give it vigilance and keep that hexproof. And you are playing super friends, the -2 can do work. I'm gonna pick some Ajani's up, screw it!

rdPzZZw.jpg
Definitely playable.

Angry Grimace

Why does everyone think everything in U or W is a control card? The U/W clan isn't a control clan and nothing they're doing is control oriented - they're custom tailored for players to be proactively casting spells.

If you're playing white as your secondary color (which you probably shouldn't because White doesn't seem particularly good, and there's no Supreme Verdict or Sphinx's Revelation around), just play Elspeth or Ugin to finish them off, although Ugin's a total nonbo since you have to minus out to clear the board and whoops you just blew up your Banishing Light, the only non-conditional removal white even has.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";154913095]There better be some kind of card resolving Sorin's arc -_-

Edit: Lol liliana in the new comic looks like a Roy Lichtenstein character[/QUOTE]

There is.

In Battle for Zendikar.

red13th

I love new Sarkhan, it might be my favourite PW!
Love new Lily too!! omg I love all those expensive mythics! I'm glad I don't have room for 3 colour cards in my cube so I won't have to buy a new Sarkhan. :)

EDIT: Sarkhan not Sorin! derp

Angry Grimace

That's kind of an interesting question. What exactly do you do with that Sarkhan right when he comes out? His plus is so good that I'd almost feel like I was missing out to poop out a dragon. I'd assume the play would be to minus out a dragon for the value, and then start plusing until you run out of dudes.

Firemind

+1 until you can drop an Ugin and -4 to blow up stuff. Or Broodmate Dragon I suppose. I can see Temur planeswalkers being a thing.

Angry Grimace

+1 until you can drop an Ugin and -4 to blow up stuff. Or Broodmate Dragon I suppose. I can see Temur planeswalkers being a thing.

So basically, go through your deck, remove every copy of Sarkhan Unbroken and replace them with Elvish Mystics.

Angry Grimace

She stays dead. Her ability goes on the stack, but Liliana isn't on the battlefield to actually blink/flip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom