• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So WW is going to be a deck huh?

Maybe Mono White Devotion or UW Devotion splashing Ojutai's Command.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, I'm going to roll with WW to start for sure. It's too attractive in a world where everybody is toying with 4 colors. It does need an exile effect though. For it to really work, I need it to have a banisher priest/O-Ring.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, I'm going to roll with WW to start for sure. It's too attractive in a world where everybody is toying with 4 colors. It does need an exile effect though. For it to really work, I need it to have a banisher priest/O-Ring.

Banishing Light?

This feature match at GP Miami is miserable.

I can't stop laughing. This is horrible.

Yw8nOzS.jpg

This reminds me WAY too much of the meta down at the local college.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So WW is going to be a deck huh?

Maybe Mono White Devotion or UW Devotion splashing Ojutai's Command.
GW aggro with the weenie See the Unwritten.

Also, strictly better than Opportunity at rare. I guess it was too much of a bomb at uncommon so they stapled a random DTK tribal thing on it.

Damn. Majors found a Banishing Light for the Temur Sabertooth about 25 minutes ago. Sam and Michael went into combat about 10 minutes ago, and Sam did 50 points of damage by the time it was done.

And these guys are holding up the whole tournament at this point. Of course. What a bunch of chuckleheads.

It was a 0-0-1 draw!

Bwahahahahaha.

Best match of Magic in history. Cedric and Patrick getting more and more pissed off as the match went on made it so good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There is something to be said for the MODO chess timer.

Remember that Ephara deck I posted this week? That's the white devotion deck seen in that match except I had to force the Epharas in. I played a "mirror" against a temur ascendency deck last night and it was just about as "miserable" as that mirror match. The GP match on camera ended with life totals around 450 each.

Angry Grimace

Hopefully there's a good red one for my obviously awesome Dragons deck.

Granted, I'd never actually use a card like that outside of limited since I'd just play Sylvan to ramp into a bunch of overcosted fatties.

y2dvd

G/W devotion mirror. Worst game ever in the featured match? The commentators kept it as colorful as possible at least lol.

Angry Grimace

It's already part of a cycle, just at different rarities. Or maybe not a full cycle. Who knows.

en_7LRSy258uL.png

WOTC gonna probably troll with some shit like:

As Dragonlord's Lair enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Dragon from your hand. Dragonlord's Lair enters the battlefield tapped unless you revealed a Dragon card as Dragonlord's Lair came into play or you controlled a Dragon as it came into play.

T: Add R or G to your mana pool.

WOTC gonna probably troll with some shit like:

As Dragonlord's Lair enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Dragon from your hand. Dragonlord's Lair enters the battlefield tapped unless you revealed a Dragon card as Dragonlord's Lair came into play or you controlled a Dragon as it came into play.

T: Add R or G to your mana pool.

Nah probably going to say sac it unless you reveal a dragon or control a dragon and reduces dragon costs by 2. And taps for a red or green.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn, this is some card-shark level cheating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1ZtvWRH44

(Thoughtseized, hides a Downfall right under his Garruk; gets ruled a "dexterity error," whatever that means)
Apparently without any consequence too. No warning, no DQ, nothing. The judge who I assume made the call is posting in the Reddit thread on this and has pretty much only said 'I talked to him and believe it was an honest mistake.' and is deflecting any further criticism and / or questions on his decision by claiming that people are biased against the player involved.

There should be a system in place for this. Even if this was 'just an honest mistake' - something I very highly doubt -, rules violations / potential cheats like this should not just be let go without any kind of consequence, as it encourages actual cheating by giving people the idea that they can get away with this stuff, even if they get caught on camera. Just tell the judges you didn't know and they'll let you of the hook. That's a really bad precedent to set.

Angry Grimace

He did apparently get a warning for a dexterity error (basically nothing).

Angry Grimace

There was a guy at my LGS last night who was super hyped to play Esper Control once Dragons released. I don't see how that deck's gonna work. Everything relevant in every color is double-color symbol spells and there's only one untapped land that gives all your colors (i.e. Mana Confluence) and no tri-lands or even Pain-lands at all.

Firemind

Twice I got beaten by Lava Axe when I was at five life today. They should stop printing lava axes that can double up as removal. Then I know no one will play it. :lol

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";155034937]FUUUUCK MY LIFE :(

2nd at the pptq god damn[/QUOTE]

Most people get like 25th, dude.

Quick report from my phone:

• Round one: UB control - one of my better matchups, smooth 2-0
  • Round two: RW Midrange - guy I lost to at the previous PTQ, got my revenge 2-1
  • Round three: GB Constellation - wow this deck is way more annoying than I thought. 0-2
  • Round four: Abzan Control - insane 46 minute game one where I crawl back from 6 life for the win. Almost win game 2 in the 4 minutes remaining by stealing double rhino off of ashiok but wind up 1-0.
  • Round Five: ID
  • Quarterfinals: RG Walkers - deck wasn't what I was expecting so I had to readjust my config for game three and picked apart his hand to keep him off a real board.
  • Semis: RG Aggro - my cousin I showed up with, I went for the get ya and sided opposite to my normal strategy to screw him up post board since we play together constantly and it worked.
  • Finals: GB Constellation - same guy I lost to in the swiss, same result. Game one was closer and I managed to drag out game two, but way too much has to go right for me to break through since he's better at creating a board and going off. Basically a more focused version of the same strategy which is always hard. Siding into UB control just isn't enough.

Angry Grimace

I guess I'll just never understand trying to be a pro Magic player. The game is luck based. Yes, I know "b-b-b-but deckbuilding skill!" it is luck based.

WanderingWind

I guess I'll just never understand trying to be a pro Magic player. The game is luck based. Yes, I know "b-b-b-but deckbuilding skill!" it is luck based.

I crunched the numbers, even the best pros basically make above minimum wage. But they're doing something they love doing, so that's a bonus.

It's sort of why I'm cool with taking a paycut to work for Wizards. Money is important, but only as far as it takes you to live. Getting to be involved in MtG as a career would be worth not making fat stacks.

If anyone tries to argue against you, remind them about tiebreakers for top 8. Competitive tournament structure is basically cracking packs at that point.

Angry Grimace

I crunched the numbers, even the best pros basically make above minimum wage. But they're doing something they love doing, so that's a bonus.

It's sort of why I'm cool with taking a paycut to work for Wizards. Money is important, but only as far as it takes you to live. Getting to be involved in MtG as a career would be worth not making fat stacks.

This mentality is why MTGO sucks - because they just hire programmers who just like MTG and are willing to take massive discounts to do it.

WanderingWind

This mentality is why MTGO sucks - because they just hire programmers who just like MTG and are willing to take massive discounts to do it.

The two concepts - a good employee and wanting to work there - are not mutually exclusive. But I'm sure there are a plenty of good potentials who decided against working there because they could make money elsewhere, but it's not like the pool is so small they can't find good programmers who are happy to work there.

The two concepts - a good employee and wanting to work there - are not mutually exclusive. But I'm sure there are a plenty of good potentials who decided against working there because they could make money elsewhere, but it's not like the pool is so small they can't find good programmers who are happy to work there.

It is when they pay like 40% below market rate.

Magic feels much more like a "product" than an actual creative work to me. I think working for WOTC, you'd become very cynical very quickly. Personal take on it, anyway :)

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn, this is some card-shark level cheating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1ZtvWRH44

(Thoughtseized, hides a Downfall right under his Garruk; gets ruled a "dexterity error," whatever that means)
Player conveniently 'accidentally' perfectly hides his only castable card under another card during a Thoughtseize and fails to call a judge after realizing / knowing it wasn't properly revealed; gets ruled 'dexterity error' with no further penalty.

Player unknowingly presents 58-card deck to his opponent; opponent knows beforehand that there are two cards missing, yet makes no effort to point this out to anyone until the deck is presented to him to get a free win out of it. Judges rule that it was an honest mistake, but still give game loss, directly leading to match loss and not moving on to day 2.

> Potential cheat
> Ruled a mistake, no further penalty besides a 'warning' despite rules violation because judge believes there was no intent based on the involved player saying there was no intent.

> Potential cheat
> Ruled a mistake, judge believes there is no intent, but still enforce instant game loss (leading to match loss) in a situation that could've simply been 're-winded' because 'need to enforce the rules'.

I don't know if it's just me, but this way of judging doesn't seem to be particularly consistent or fair. Either you judge people on their intent (Which is stupid, as this relies on a subjective impression of a judge and mostly takes any statement by the involved player at face value, i.e.; Player says "I didn't intend to cheat." = "Ah well, he didn't intend to cheat, so we won't give him a penalty despite violating the rules.".) or you judge them on the rules violation they knowingly or unknowingly committed. You can't do a mixture of both...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom